Light Role Play and your mic as a "weapon"? or An open letter for all ya Pirates

• First some Words about me:

My Mate and I started playing late 2018 when Devils Roar was already a place to go. We had fun doing the missions for the big 3 factions but for reasons I don´t know anymore we stopped. For sure some other games like Borderlands, Ark and Conan Exiles (on private Servers)
    We only play coop Games because Multiplayer/PvP is not really what I can enjoy.
    That changed when we picked up SoT again ~2 month ago. You have to deal with other Players if you want or not.
    We have now done all the Tale Tales and reached Pirate Legend 4 weeks ago.
    For 31 days I am on the Forum and sometimes I can´t believe these Stories about ALL the toxic players, Bad language, "I can´t play for a single hour without being sunk a 1000 times"....etc
    We sail duo Sloop, Sometimes Solo.

So what I wanted to say Is: When we see a ship coming close, we never shoot first but always talk (or chat) first. This works really good the most times.
    Make some stupid stuff or try to role play a little mostly defused the Situation.

The best Story was when I had to do a couple of Cargo runs for the Merchants to reach lvl 50. I was told to bring some Plants and Grog to Ed at Shipwreck Bay. When I was close I realized that the Ashen Lord Event was there. But I am an Adventurer and I promised to bring the cargo to him. So I parked my ship close to a brig whose Crew was fighting the Lord. I grapped a Plant and ran right through the fight shouting: "Don´t shoot me! I have an important delivery for Ed. He really needs his Plants!" One guy tried to shoot me but then one of the others called: "No. Protect him. Eddy needs his stuff." Some LoLs later I had finished the Mission and safely sailed a away.

Ok. That´s already more text than I have planned but there are a lot of encounters I have with fun and nice chats ending in some Shantys and Grog. Sometimes only a friendly hello. (Lets see maybe I share some in the Tavern Tale section in the future)

So what do you think. Is this just luck to meet the right Pirates or is this the chat/RP. Or maybe the fact that I mostly play late nights? Or even Karma :P

And to be clear. Yes I do enjoy the PvE elements the most. Yes I get sunk, KoS, spawnkilled and robbed but this is rare and not the memories wich stick in my Head. And when they do it was also a fun and good sports fight. Also in fights or Arena I have become a better Helmsman and better at the canons. (Still not a pro and not good in close PvP)

Love the Game, Love most of you Pirates!

thanks for reading

Views
  • I don't think you're alone here. Getting on the mic and talking to people has given me the most interesting experiences in this game. I think it's the most underestimated part.

Latest example, we wanted to run around reaving, sunk a galleon, brig and the same sloop twice. Second time he just ran for the hills then scuttled when I boarded anyway. After we turn loot in my fiance was done but I saw the same sloop one island over. I was guessing the player was kinda new.

I swam over to it, boarded and just said, "Hi, want some help since we sunk you so much?" We talked a bit, he invited me to his crew and I helped him do his vault. Turns out it was day 2.

For me this is why I keep.coming back to this game. Not the ship fights, not the PVE or PVP, but these type.of experiences. And the more you try them the more they seem to work.

Views
1 out of 2