What is a "Pirate" game?

• I've been playing since day 1, and I think this game is a prime example of how games should be supported by publishers after release. Having said that, I tend to step away from this game for months at a time because of toxic experiences.

Most times it feels like you have a better chance finding a Shrouded Ghost than a session free of griefers. That's what has made it most difficult to try to get a friend to learn (or even enjoy) this game; well that and the spawn camping. I originally suggested this game to her as an example of one with unique and fun exploration aspects, but there's only so much on the Ferry of the Damned to explore.

Yet if you ask anybody about this game's toxicity, you always get a variation of the same response: "well, it is a pirate game." Fair point. But most pirates also offered their victims a chance to join their crew before leaving or killing them—but that part of pirate history is often forgotten.

Furthermore, that justification does little to account for the various other missions, events, and activities in the game that don't require the griefing of other players. Clearly that isn't enough for some—certain players have more money than they can spend—so it seems they just search out new players (who can barely make $1,000 a voyage) to sink.

Ultimately, I'm just curious what the developers themselves think of this game and their take on some of these questions:

• Could you envision a "defensive mode" (as can be found in Rockstar's games) to prevent griefing from other players?
    • Do you think there will ever be a mode in this game for players who would prefer to explore instead of fighting?
    • Do you agree with this "pirate game" sentiment, and the laissez-faire, "boys will boys" attitude that many of the players seem to have?
    Views
  • This is all such hogwash.

I solo sloop almost exclusively, and 95% of my sessions I am left completely alone to do my thing. I regularly turn in 10k before I even finish a single low-level voyage, let alone by the end of a play session.

It's really a very simple process - Climb up on the mast, use your spyglass. See those other ships on the horizon? Avoid them.

Why people continue to perpetuate this idea that the game is just rife with grief and toxicity and PvP boggles the mind.

• @thagoochiestman said in What is a "Pirate" game?:

I've been playing since day 1, and I think this game is a prime example of how games should be supported by publishers after release.

Started off good here.

Having said that, I tend to step away from this game for months at a time because of toxic experiences.

And here we go agian.

Most times it feels like you have a better chance finding a Shrouded Ghost than a session free of griefers. That's what has made it most difficult to try to get a friend to learn (or even enjoy) this game; well that and the spawn camping. I originally suggested this game to her as an example of one with unique and fun exploration aspects, but there's only so much on the Ferry of the Damned to explore.

Can we first define terms here. Toxic experiance would be verbal harassment/abuse via ingame chat/msg or targeted harassment that includes stalking u specifically.

Have you experienced any of this?

Griefing/Trolling in this game can only functionally happen within your own crew such as afk idling, keging own ship ect.

Is this what you complining about?

If not then:

Engaging in PvP is not griefing it's playing the game. Now there is a small percent of players that kill for no reason other then to kill but there is no way for you to know what a player reason for attacking you is therefore proving griefing in-between crew is impossible.

Yet if you ask anybody about this game's toxicity, you always get a variation of the same response: "well, it is a pirate game." Fair point.

There are alot more arguments then that. Unless your attempting to strawman by reducing all other points down to "It's a Pirate Game"

But most pirates also offered their victims a chance to join their crew before leaving or killing them—but that part of pirate history is often forgotten.

You can do that in the game unless you have open spots in the crew and i have both invited and joined after an enconter. But majority of the time crews are full so it's not possible to invite you join the crew. So you have no point here.

Unless you suggesting they add some kind of surrender/prisoner mechnic to allow somthing like this to happen. Other wise the option doesn't exist in this game.

Furthermore, that justification does little to account for the various other missions, events, and activities in the game that don't require the griefing of other players. Clearly that isn't enough for some—certain players have more money than they can spend—so it seems they just search out new players (who can barely make $1,000 a voyage) to sink.

All pve activities are Pvp the reason you go out to get loot is so it can be stolen. The event clouds in the air are seen by all crews. All pve content is to draw ships together to interact be it friendly or not.

Secondly New player get attack more cause they lack the knolwage/skill/awareness to avoid combat/conflict a skilled crew that doesn't want to be attack can do so.

Ultimately, I'm just curious what the developers themselves think of this game and their take on some of these questions:

• Could you envision a "defensive mode" (as can be found in Rockstar's games) to prevent griefing from other players?

They been ask mulitiple times and the short answer is they considered it and said No. Not the vision of this game.

• Do you think there will ever be a mode in this game for players who would prefer to explore instead of fighting?

Agian No. Althou if you want to purchase your own server that feature is coming minus all progression so if you want all them sweet cosmetics you gonna have to earn them in regular game.

• Do you agree with this "pirate game" sentiment, and the laissez-faire, "boys will boys" attitude that many of the players seem to have?

They have been ask this and as so long there is no harassment/abuse or Cheating or any form of bigotry then yes there cool with the Pirate attitude you can steal, loot, plunder, pilage, ransack, kill, destroy to your hearts content just be freindly to newbs after ward
    even help them out. Which most of us do when ask poilitly and given respect. Will even help u on your tall tale.

Lastly if your being spawn camped you can scuttle from the ferry and you can respawn and continue on your merry way. I you had a TT item on your ship you can msg your attackers as they will usely leave those items on a island or port for you to retrive it. Just wait till the coast is clear before retiving those items.

I've been playing since day 1, and I think this game is a prime example of how games should be supported by publishers after release. Having said that, I tend to step away from this game for months at a time because of toxic experiences.

Yet if you ask anybody about this game's toxicity, you always get a variation of the same response: "well, it is a pirate game." Fair point. But most pirates also offered their victims a chance to join their crew before leaving or killing them—but that part of pirate history is often forgotten.

i mean piracy is ocean or sea born robbery and the people who cry about toxic it's only toxic if they call you names and have a good relation to ones mother

• Just the other day, my crew and I got into it with another crew. Cannonballs were flying, fires were set, swords were clashing...

"TRUCE!"

Then, everybody stopped.

"Aye."

Moments later an alliance was formed, and we ended up supporting each other financially for hours after.

True story.

You'd be amazed at how simple it is sometimes. Failing that, though, keep your head on a swivel, and may your eyes never blink away from that horizon.

• @thagoochiestman How long have you been playing the game?
    As @Vin-Delanos mentioned, most of the time you're just alone and won't be bothered by anyone. So you can easily make a lot of $K per session.
    Don't let that drag you down. Your ship was sunk this time? Then next time you'll maybe make big cash.

Anyways, if you want to play PvE with a guarantee of not being bothered by others, either purchase one of the new private servers or, if you're impatient and want all that gold right now, join an alliance server for no drawbacks regarding the loot mechanic.

• I think one big issue is that there is no endgame goals and content. When you have max levels there is nothing left to do but hunt for ships.

Although I wish more people would board before sinking to see what they are doing. No point sinking empty or tall tale ships... but I guess most pirates don't trust their skills enough and just go tryhard at any boat.

• @korpp1s The name of the game is called Sea of Thieves. You knew what you were getting into when you bought that game.

I've been playing since day 1, and I think this game is a prime example of how games should be supported by publishers after release. Having said that, I tend to step away from this game for months at a time because of toxic experiences.

Do you define "toxic" as being attacked and killed, having your ship sunk, and having your loot stolen? If so, you have misinterpreted the term. Toxicity is really only possible through communications. If you encounter players who are using derogatory language, calling you names, etc. that is toxicity. In Sea of Thieves, you're supposed to expect to be attacked, killed, sunk, and robbed. That's the nature of the game and is not "toxic." But people are encouraged to be good sports in both winning and losing (as defined by the Pirate Code). Bad sportsmanship is toxic. Winning is not.

Again, define "griefers"? Simply attacking you does not make one a "griefer." Most of the time they're simply playing the game, not trying to ruin your day.

Historical pirates were also ruthless criminals. Some of them were indeed vicious and cruel beyond words. Thankfully, that part of pirate history is also "often forgotten." But more to the point, one must remember that Sea of Thieves is based more upon fictional pirate lore rather than historical records. The game has its own lore that places us all in a mystical, hidden world where pirates reign supreme. There are no soft, easy merchant vessels here to prey upon. Everyone you meet is likely a pirate, or worse. Death has little consequence and violence is a way of life. Welcome to the Sea of Thieves.

Stop using the term "griefing" as if everybody attacks anybody is a "griefer." It's a label you're sticking on PvP that simply doesn't fit. As mentioned, PvP is part of Sea of Thieves. Playing the game as intended is not "griefing." It doesn't matter how much money they have. Nobody knows how much or how little loot you have aboard ship. Sometimes there are other good reasons for attacking.

Rare has been quite clear about this. It's an open world adventure game in which you are provided all the tools you need. A "defensive mode" would not fit in Sea of Thieves for numerous reasons (all have been addressed many times before). There's no way to implement such a thing without really breaking the game, nor is it needed.

They've also been clear on this. They are planning to make custom servers available. You and your friends could rent a server and go exploring to your heart's content. But that's all it would be. There will be absolutely zero gold, doubloons, commendations, or progression of any kind. PvE-only servers are not under consideration.

I have a crew of all older women. We will sink you if you attack us. We will sink you if you look like you might attack us. We will sink you if you're someplace we need to be, or if we think you have something we want. We will sink you if you invade our space near a fort, fleet, or any other cache of juicy loot. We might even sink you just because we feel like it and you're unlucky enough to cross our path.

We are not griefers. Not one of us has a toxic bone in our bodies. We're perfectly respectable pirates. If you're nice to us, we'll likely be nice to you. If we happen to kill you, sink your ship, and steal all your loot...no hard feelings. Better luck next time! Arr.

• @thagoochiestman

Sinking a ship is not griefing, nor is it toxic.
    Killing a pirate is not griefing, nor is it toxic.

Those that end up in a battle due to others attacking them are not victims, they are pirates and they accept that the seas are a dangerous place; where sneaking, battle and conflict are all part of the game. Be a good sport, both in victory and loss.

The shrouded ghost is a myth and I tend to be required to attack people even when I am solo to get some action... all these guys complaining about PvP ships... can you throw some at me?

Being a pirate means that you know how to sail.
    Being a pirate you know how to navigate the waters.
    Being a pirate is to know how to defend your ship.

This is a game about becoming the pirate you want to be, not how to be a sailor... learn to play the game to be the pirate you want to be. If you want to explore instead of fight, watch the horizon and avoid others. If you want to collect gold instead of fight, watch the horizon and learn to sail. It really isn't that hard, make good choices and respond based on what you want to achieve.

Sometimes things don't go to plan, adapt and overcome...

This is my favorite part.
    And the answer is "Yes", OP. I'll just answer for the devs, because it's literally how the game was designed - the game you bought and singed-up for.

@cotu42 said in What is a "Pirate" game?:

This is a game about becoming the pirate you want to be, not how to be a sailor... learn to play the game to be the pirate you want to be. If you want to explore instead of fight, watch the horizon and avoid others. If you want to collect gold instead of fight, watch the horizon and learn to sail. It really isn't that hard, make good choices and respond based on what you want to achieve.

Not only do I want to give this response a thumbs-up, but it reinforces what I said earlier about the mast and the spyglass. On any ship especially, but mostly on a solo sloop, a very healthy portion of your time should be dedicated to watching the horizon for other players, and acting/reacting according to their positions and activities.

One common thing you'll find in most YouTube videos of people successfully playing the game is that they are constantly using their spyglass and maintaining situational awareness above all else.

As cotu42 said - sometimes, things just don't work out. You miss a mast on the horizon, you stumble upon a ship who was reefed behind a large island, whatever. You deal with it. And if you lose - you suck it up and drive on.

Usually there is so little PvP in this game that the only way to engage in some is to go out and find it.

• I can go multiple sessions without hearing a single crew speak, approach me, or even fight me. I have zero problems opening dialogue with players and I've even just rolled up on crews with not a single shot being fired. Hell, I've seen more ships beg for Alliances than I've had crews being openly hostile. I can't empathize with you here, because my experience is a polar opposite to yours.

This leads me to this conclusion, maybe you just aren't likeable. You drawing so much negative ire can quite easily be explained by this.

Clearly that isn't enough for some—certain players have more money than they can spend—so it seems they just search out new players (who can barely make $1,000 a voyage) to sink.

I guess it's a good thing that having money and clothes adds absolutely nothing but cosmetic enhancements, right?

This is not needed, and would have a negative impact on the shared world by limiting the ways players can interact with one another.

Yeah, it's coming. Private Servers, with no progression, are coming soon.

Yeah, I do. Because it is a pirate game and this is the stuff that happens. We all win some, we all lose some. That's the game.

• @thagoochiestman sagte in What is a "Pirate" game?:

As someone who's vocal against toxicity and also find spawnkilling for the sake of it beeing toxic i understant your feelings, but...

Well the game isn't perfect and cant be perfect regarding this, because as an online game there is and will allway be the human factor.
    That leads to your next point.

there is barely anyone roleplaying or caring a lot about their fellow players.
    In the past few weeks, heck in the past 2.5 years i constantly realize forget about that for online gaming.
    The anonymiti and the way many, many gamers take gaming very serious and less playfull are facts, that completely go diamtral to beeing empathic.

I just learned about Wheatons Law.
    I think all agree, but nobody cares in specific situations and there is also tons of gamers, streamers and developers who give a ... about that and act exactly the opposite and state:
    "Well that's all what gaming is about, to spoil it for the others." I have just seen a popular Streamer saying this!
    Thats the fun, thats the competition, either you have the balls for it or you can go home crying.
    You wont ever get support for beeing emapthic, because it means beeing weak or make you look weak!
    It does not, but who i am to tell you :D

Also you for sure know there is barely anyone roleplaying games, although we have tons of online Roleplaygames you wont find people roleplaying, thats just some freaks.
    Roleplaying to many means this: improve your characters attributes stats, skills and equipment. That's what people define Roleplaying is.

over 20 years ago i had 2 Pen and Paper groups, the one group was the RP group, the other was the Excel Warrior group.
    TBH, the roleplayer group was a lot of more fun. They didnt care for XP, killcount, improving their stats, skills and equipment that much, their foremost goal was roleplaying their cahracter and all what happened to them was welcomed, even if it was a disadvantage. Sure they said NOOOOO i dont want to be currsed, but in reality they liked it and said so afterwards.
    During my active time playing Rolemaster, you have to choose disadvantages too to enrich the roleplay.

Ask some people here to choose a disadvantage like running slower with a peg leg,
    cannot aim downsight because of an eyepatch?
    Nobody would choose to have one of them, right?
    But it would add and make the game richer, more various, more challenging, give your pirate character more depth.

Furthermore, that justification does little to account for the various other missions, events, and activities in the game that don't require the griefing of other players.

i agree it does not need any griefing or spawnkilling, but the threat is ok to have.

Clearly that isn't enough for some—certain players have more money than they can spend—so it seems they just search out new players (who can barely make $1,000 a voyage) to sink.

i just had a discussion with @insaiity and i also believe most players dont know about the others and also dont care a lot about them
    I'm heading to have 10 Million gold and i also have somwhat 12k dubloons and barely anything to buy.
    Yeah i still can buy cosmetics, but i have so many cosmetics i wont ever use, why buy more of them?
    It's already a chore to go through the pages and find the ones i want :D

I can tell you - and i believe this is still true for the most rich players - they dont mainly go and attack others because they are bored or rich.
    We play allways PvEvP, we want more Gold, when i hit 10 Million i'm going for 20 Million. And i wont work on it, but let it happen by the way.

AFAIK Rare said no, because it takes the uncertainty about other player away.
    If you do that every others ship will for sure be hostile. That is not what Rare or i want. I also want to meet passive, friendly or even cooperative players.
    I agree that this barely happens and needs a push in form of Events that require cooperation.
    I just can hope we one day get a Flamehearts Event that need multiple crews to cooperate in a way that betrays are still possible, but mostly not worth to risk.
    I remember an Alliance fighting the Hungering One back in the days.
    After beating it, one started and attacked an allied crew, they got sunk by the others.
    You can never rule this perfectly, but you can give incentives to not to betray.
    ATM if you think about rewards an Alliance gives you benefit, but if you dont rely on these benefits, because you are rich, because you can do it all alone also, why allie?
    Why not get it all for you alone?
    Rare has to think about something to make alliances wortwhile, actually they only serve to players who hop servers and for premade alliances.
    What i can think of is a faction that rewards beeing an honorable ally and give you reputation titles that others can see.
    But, still cheesable and can be still abused for "false flag" operations.

you can explore like you want, but always keep an eye on the horizon.
    what you cannot do is mindlessly explore and dont care about other ships.
    But this is here to spice it up, to give it a little tension and such.
    I like it, when i solo i mostly fly under the radar, sometimes i steal stuff but try to be a thief and unnoticed.
    When Duo slooping or bigger it depends on my mate and my mood, the other ship and a lot of other things :D

unfortunately this is how it is. I do not apreciate it either, but you cannot change it, but only be the change you want to see.
    Be an idol and provide as the pirate you want to see more often in the Sea of Thieves.

This is like irl extra hard, when all others just take what they can and mainly care for themselfs only.

To change this all you can do is beeing an idol and stand strong against all odds.

• @Vin-Delanos @ENF0RCER @TRlALON @Genuine-Heather @CotU42 @Chronodusk As I said, I've been playing since day 1; I understand the difference between simply being sunk or being griefed.

I specifically mentioned the spawn camping, but I guess I should have also mentioned the stalking that we've encountered, being followed for 40+ minutes at a time.

Or being sunk by a ship, only to have them then seek us out again despite us choosing to scuttle and respawn far away.

I should have also mentioned the various messages I've received through Xbox chat from players that were mad if we successfully sailed away and avoided conflict; almost like they're trying to coerce us into to doing something we don't want to. Or the spamming of in-game chat messages after being stalked and sunk by the same crew for the 3rd time.

And again, it's hard to convince my friend that this game is actually fun when we're experiencing these such things regularly; even when doing Tall Tales with no emissary flag and zero loot on our ship this continues.

At this point, I think it's fair to assume the real reason behind the deliberate inaction by the developers to (meaningfully) address this issue: griefers help increase micro-transactions. Rockstar took a similar position with GTA online, albeit with flying bikes and whatnot.

But if the game is only full of cosmetic items as @Chronodusk mentioned, and it's incredibly difficult for new players to turn in chests, maybe their frustration will eventually convince them to buy coins? I mean, the animals are only available with ancient coins anyway, so that already helps. Throw in the default clothing, high-price of items, and the low-yield of intro missions and you've got a good setup to rake in micro-transactions.

Best part is: since it's all cosmetic anyway, nobody can complain that it's pay to win.

• @thagoochiestman Well, nothing what you mentioned in your last reply is somewhat forbidden by the rules. If these players are bored, and unfortunately that's the main issue of most sandbox games, you can't really prohibit them to do fun or pointless stuff if they have no inspiration to do something else anymore. Or they just sink you for the small chance that you maybe have some loot on your ship again and the process is fun anyways.
    Like in other sandbox games exists no rule as wells that'd disallow you killing on sight for no apparent reason.

Again, if you don't want to deal with that and want to unlock stuff instead, go play on alliance servers. Idk how the situation results to be so bad from your point of view, maybe it's a time zone issue that attracts the part of the playerbase you mentioned while you're active.

@Vin-Delanos @ENF0RCER @TRlALON @Genuine-Heather @CotU42 @Chronodusk As I said, I've been playing since day 1; I understand the difference between simply being sunk or being griefed.

I specifically mentioned the spawn camping, but I guess I should have also mentioned the stalking that we've encountered, being followed for 40+ minutes at a time.

Spawn camping is not griefing as the goal of pvp is to attack the ship. The Ship is the respawn point. If a game goal was to fight over an objective a players were spawned i specific locied areas away from the obuective then spawnkilling would be griefing. But since player can Choose to spawn some where else via Scuttling then that therfore means they are choosing to respawned killed. Griefing isn't griefing if your choosing to have it happen.

As far as Stalking how are they tracking you when you scuttle? Are you the only other ship on the server? That can happen maybe they just kept running into you cause your tye only ship they can find. Any way if you notice a ship stalking you for 40 mins and you have nothing to lose then try going and confrontihg them. Try telling them your just on a TT and ask what there doing. Point is they may not be trying to grief you they may just be out huntihg playing the game and this encounter isn't helping ethier crew. Maybe ask them for help. I've helped ship on tall tales just so they can finish a bit quicker and leave to get more productive ship in the session.

Or being sunk by a ship, only to have them then seek us out again despite us choosing to scuttle and respawn far away.

How are they seeking you out specifcally?

I should have also mentioned the various messages I've received through Xbox chat from players that were mad if we successfully sailed away and avoided conflict; almost like they're trying to coerce us into to doing something we don't want to. Or the spamming of in-game chat messages after being stalked and sunk by the same crew for the 3rd time.

You did not mention any messages in your OP plz do so next time so we can determine if they indeed where toxic and if their motives were to grief you. This is the evidence that is required.

And again, it's hard to convince my friend that this game is actually fun when we're experiencing these such things regularly; even when doing Tall Tales with no emissary flag and zero loot on our ship this continues.

I'm sorry to here your having troble getting your friend into the game. This is why we reccomend starting on a Gallon filled with veteran players so it's a safer and fun experiance. If you like there are plenty of players on this forum willing to help out including myself.

At this point, I think it's fair to assume the real reason behind the deliberate inaction by the developers to (meaningfully) address this issue: griefers help increase micro-transactions. Rockstar took a similar position with GTA online, albeit with flying bikes and whatnot.

But if the game is only full of cosmetic items as @Chronodusk mentioned, and it's incredibly difficult for new players to turn in chests, maybe their frustration will eventually convince them to buy coins? I mean, the animals are only available with ancient coins anyway, so that already helps. Throw in the default clothing, high-price of items, and the low-yield of intro missions and you've got a good setup to rake in micro-transactions.

Best part is: since it's all cosmetic anyway, nobody can complain that it's pay to win.

This is an interesting theory you have. But if players are leaving becuase of "Griefing" then they canpt really sell cosmetics if players are not playing. So it kind of falls apart. Skill is all that matters in this game etyier you have it or you don't. I'll admit this game has a huge learning curve but thats all it is.

As a day one play you should know well the early struggles in this game nothing has change that.

• @trlalon I completely agree with your first paragraph, but that's why I specifically mentioned Rockstar and their "passive" and/or "defensive" modes.

This is a studio responsible for some of the biggest, most violent, and most toxic franchises in the gaming industry. Their games not only seem to allow griefing, but actually encourage it by making it incredibly easy to see when other players are doing missions (i.e. making money) and in the case of GTA, introducing flying cars and other super vehicles that can zoom across the map very fast.

But even Rockstar sees the need to allow players a mode that prevents unwanted attacks from other (real) players. GTA Online even allows players to make Solo or Invite-Only lobbies. Obviously, there are limitations when you're in defensive/passive mode with respects to player abilities and/or using weapons; and yes, in a private session there are certain missions that are locked; but Rockstar also doesn't prevent players from making money or ranking up if they chose to do so. It might not be as efficient as public lobbies, but you're also not forced to subject yourself to chaos just to maybe earn money/XP.

• @enf0rcer said in What is a "Pirate" game?:

As a day one play you should know well the early struggles in this game nothing has change that.

Being a day one player, my memories of starting out are a lot better compared to what I'm seeing trying to get my friend started now. Remember, at that time:

• There weren't any players with millions of gold and thus nothing else to do but hunt ships.
    • It was even more difficult to earn reputation, so players were more focused on completing missions to level up.
    • There were none of the new, fancy emotes for hiding and tucking (as can be found in the Pirate €mporium)
    • There weren't chainshots or throwables which at the very least increase the number of possible distractions when trying to fight or flee.

But maybe most important:

• Just stocking up your ship with enough resources to engage another ship was challenging.

Having to stock your ship by way of full pockets (without storage crates) was incredibly tedious, and meant that there was usually a little more consideration before firing on another ship. Not only that, without all of those crates it meant players had to actually move when they ran out of shots; a byproduct of which being that you could actually have fun fights against galleons, without being bombarded by cannonballs at near constant pace.

I guess all of these progressions (while awesome and greatly appreciated) have made the game much more difficult for new players to come in and actually learn the game, much less enjoy it. PVP can definitely be a lot of fun and it's not like I think PVP should be banned from the game; I just think it'd be foolish for us to act like there haven't been dramatic changes to the game that ultimately made griefing (or maybe just unconsensual PVP) much easier.

Just my opinion but I think a "defensive" mode might be nice for new players. Especially if those players haven't played any first-person perspective games and thus can barely even move around to begin with; and it's hard to learn to move around when almost constantly in combat.

• @thagoochiestman

Well i'll agree that the game has gotten more complex adding to the steep learning curve. But this was always about pirating or attackihg ships, it's just eaiser now. Before the game had progression ships would attack eachother. The sea always gets more frendly when new content gets added which is why Rare is dedicated to realeasing as much new content they can make.

I agree Progression has been made super easy but that what the majority of the community asked for and it was inevitable that new content was going to lead to these issues.

The way to fix this learning curve is a steep well structured and robust toturial and practice arena. Custom sever could help here, But for now like i said the game and dev depends on the vetern community to help and instruct new players. So Lfg or post on the forums, Heck even DM me and get a galleon crew to gether to help you get your freind get his sea legs.

Cause your freind will not learn anything in a passive mode.

• This was just another masked post that's asking for pve servers, by a person that's calling PVP in the game, grief. Griefing isn't even a word, and this post doesn't deserve any more explanations.

Let's start leaving the PVE requests to rot. They will get creative in their wording, trying to elicit response and argument, and never seeing the reason why they won't be getting them. LET THEM ROT.

• @thagoochiestman

Stalking is logical in a game where you want to be stealing and want to ensure that people acquire loot? It is a strategy to do if you plan on actually getting spoils instead of just only a fight.

If a ship is out sinking, purely looking for a fight and the battle is over they will keep roaming the seas until they see another pair of sails. Most of the people that are just out for a fight do not care if they are the same sails or a new pair... they just head to the first sails they see and attack it.

Being a good sport applies to both ends and has literally nothing with being the offensive or defensive party. Your various messages through xbox, of people being mad... go attack people, go clap people out on the seas and sink them see how civil they remain. Don't act like people doing PvE are some type of angles that don't send mean messages, swear and all that.

I have had those people on a Tall Tale hunt me down after I sink them, chase me around the world for hours on end even after I sink them multiple times... while I already moved on and even left their Tall Tale item on the beach for them to collect (which I tend to mention when they chase me). I had those that I attack be rude, mean and toxic while I am civil, silent or even complimentary to those that I fight. Have even at times just claimed an island they needed on their voyage as a solo for hours based on their behavior, what can I say I am stubborn sea-dog. Ooh yeah, I fight when I am solo more than when I am in a crew, because I don't care about loot all that much anymore... doing dozens of Athena's alone, doing tall tales without issues the serenity of being able to avoid conflict is plain out boring... so I stopped avoiding others, if I want to be somewhere I am claiming it by force and I really don't care whether I am outnumbered or not. Win or Lose...

You are a day one pirate, yet you aren't able to keep your ship safe or at least get a decent fight out of the situation? Maybe you should reflect on your strategy, awareness and sailing capabilities. If people become salty because you denied them the fight they seek, just laugh it off and mute them, block them if needed and report them if it really bothers you that much. You won... and they are sore losers. Meet some sore winners, same idea and you can swap servers the tall tales have check-points and voyages really don't matter + your flag would be reset at that point anyway.

The thing that Rare is offering is an open world game where it indeed doesn't matter if you win or lose, it is all cosmetic. Therefore they can offer an experience where people can interact, hone their skills and abilities to become the pirate they want to be. They give us all the tools to discover, to experience and become any type of pirate you want to be without limitations other than your own willingness to learn and adapt.

GTA online is a totally different scale, totally different type of game and not comparable to this game - we have 6 crews in a world... and you want people to opt out of the PvP? You know that Rare was inspired by games like Eve Online, Rust, DayZ when designing and creating the seas. You want to have a comparison on how much of a difficult time it is to start up, how much you lose... go play some of those and come back to see how little one loses in this game.

Nobody stated being the pirate you want to be will be an easy journey, but it is so sad that gamers now a days are unwilling to lose. You entered an online multiplayer PvEvP shared world experience and yet the game needs to protect you from all the bad pirates out there out to steal your loot... nah, the message and slogan of the developers is clear: #BeMorePirate... stop being a sailor, have some grit, some salt and become a true legend.

It is all cosmetic... stop fussing about the speed at which you get it, enjoy the session, the variety, the conflicts and story that goes along with it. Teach your friend to live in the moment, teach them how to put up a good fight and win or lose... you will have had fun. This is a PvEvP game, enjoy both facets of the game...

@Vin-Delanos @ENF0RCER @TRlALON @Genuine-Heather @CotU42 @Chronodusk As I said, I've been playing since day 1; I understand the difference between simply being sunk or being griefed.

More hogwash.

-If you don't like being spawn camped, scuttle your ship.
    -If you don't like being chased for 40 minutes, turn and fight.
    -If repeat attacks are wasting your time, learn to have fun by trolling your attacker

• Let them fruitlessly chase you and chase you, only to deny them the kill by effortlessly running away forever and ever.
    • Set them up for failure. Let them travel half-way across the map to where your empty ship is anchored, only to scuttle it when they're within arm's reach of it.
    • Load up on powder kegs... lots of powder kegs, only to lead them on a fruitless hour long chase. Then let them catch up to you and you send the whole thing up in a bang.
    • See! There's lots of fun you can have with over aggresive PvPrs!

-Salty messages from failed PvPrs on XBox? Bonus. That's worth the effort right there.
    -Don't like being taunted in in-game chat? Repeat step 3 above and taunt them yourself. One thing a PvPr hates is a fish that they can never catch. Now imagine a fish that taunts them while doing so.

And lastly - your whole strange conspiracy theory about Rare using impossible PvP to sell coins is absurd. That's just you looking for any lame excuse to defend your position and the fact that you are too stubborn to just watch the horizon and react accordingly to any masts you see.

Stop complaining and start playing the game.

• @vin-delanos It seems like most of your suggestions are essentially just "stoop to their level" which is kind of the purpose of my entire post; is that really what the devs want everybody to do?

I really don't get why players insist on going into Adventure mode when they seem to only be interested in PVP? Isn't that why there is the Arena mode?

And if this is in fact what the community wants, why not just remove Arena and increase the chaos in Adventure?

Ultimately it just makes me wonder if for a lot of these players it's really just about ruining other people's good time? It's a similar impression to the one I got from GTA Online players: they will kill and harass you until you leave their server.

• @thagoochiestman

As someone suggested above. You get marked because you act like a mark.

Stop acting like a mark and people will stop bothering you.

P.S. I have made videos where I induce PvP simply by acting like a clueless mark on purpose. So I know what I'm talking about.

P.P.S. All of those suggestions I made, that you call "stooping to their level". All of that stuff teaches you how to not act like a mark.

• @gutterangel Wow, thank you for your open mind, and actually listening to my carefully thought out criticisms. I've put time into each of my posts; mainly because I really do love the game and want to get another person to like the game as well.

I'm honestly surprised that this sentiment isn't at least understood by more people here, even if you disagree with the need for a fix.

If people like to play like this that's absolutely fine. But just own up to it—if you like to grief, you like to grief. Nobody's telling you not to.

Some people would just prefer to play without griefers, at least to start out.

@gutterangel Wow, thank you for your open mind, and actually listening to my carefully thought out criticisms. I've put time into each of my posts; mainly because I really do love the game and want to get another person to like the game as well.

I'm honestly surprised that this sentiment isn't at least understood by more people here, even if you disagree with the need for a fix.

If people like to play like this that's absolutely fine. But just own up to it—if you like to grief, you like to grief. Nobody's telling you not to.

Some people would just prefer to play without griefers, at least to start out.

Stop acting like a mark, and people will stop treating you like one.

• @vin-delanos I'm still not entirely sure what a mark is still, but if it's sailing around like a new player: maybe that's because, like I said, I'm teaching someone the game.

I'm letting her do most of the driving so she can learn, so yes, we probably look pretty "clueless" out there. But isn't that also what Article 6 of The Pirate Code is for?

May the old legends help to forge new ones: treat new pirates with respect and share your knowledge.

In that case, if we look clueless (and rightfully so) shouldn't we be left alone, at least by pirates actually abiding by the Code? Or is the continued sinking of new players actually considered "help" in some way?

Speaking of that Pirate Code, it seems that Article 3 would imply that you should not stalk or harass via messages/in-game chat; but like most things that is open to interpretation.

@vin-delanos I'm still not entirely sure what a mark is still, but if it's sailing around like a new player: maybe that's because, like I said, I'm teaching someone the game.

I'm letting her do most of the driving so she can learn, so yes, we probably look pretty "clueless" out there. But isn't that also what Article 6 of The Pirate Code is for?

May the old legends help to forge new ones: treat new pirates with respect and share your knowledge.

In that case, if we look clueless (and rightfully so) shouldn't we be left alone, at least by pirates actually abiding by the Code? Or is the continued sinking of new players actually considered "help" in some way?

Speaking of that Pirate Code, it seems that Article 3 would imply that you should not stalk or harass via messages/in-game chat; but like most things that is open to interpretation.

Nope. Privates don't become soldiers by giving them nappy time every afternoon. The faster she learns to deal with other players, the better player she will become.

And Nope. It's not stalking, it's not harassing... it's Rubbin'. And Rubbin', son, is racin'.

• @thagoochiestman

You treat people with respect by treating them as equals. Additionally a set of sails are a set of sails, there is no indication of experience other than your voyage... for which I need to be on your ship, looking at your voyage table to know the level of one of the pirates. Usually people are trying to kill me when I board their ship, landed cannon shots on them and all that, understandable as well as it is the correct thing to do. Personally I don't really check the table until I have full control of the ship... there are more important things to focus on in battle.

On top of that you are there, with a fancy title or what not, I see an experienced player that is a legend of old... The crew is judged as a whole, not individual pieces... you are a day one pirate! Captain your vessel... teach the sailors the ropes, let them drive when the seas are calm, let them dictate the pace and do their voyages. Yet when you see the sails on the horizon, when you see an enemy... maybe you as the legend of old should step up, provide commands and guide the new in battle?

I join open crews and acted as a tutorial for many fresh sailors over the years. You let the new players place down the voyage, find the island, navigate towards it and solve the riddles, find the x-s, fight the skeletons... while you the legend of old are the watchful eye, the one that answers questions and provides tips when you notice their moves. Yet once the pirate sails appear, that is when you start commanding, where you act like the captain and take control. Instruct your crew, take the wheel, keep the ship floating... let them cannon, let them board, let them repair. You will lose some battles, you might even win some as well... but just ensure that your crew puts up a decent fight, a fun fight, a fight where they don't feel like there was no chance to victory. You decide what the ship does, you keep those ladders clear and you teach the new how to handle themselves in battle.

You act like the enemy pirates need to sit down the new player on your crew and teach them how to play... yet isn't that what you are supposed to be doing? Leaving you alone isn't going to benefit the new player at all, as at some point that new player isn't new anymore... you need to experience the heat to know how to deal with it.

I have called off attacks on new players, on tall tale voyagers and those that are clueless... if they tried to communicate with me. A truce can be struck even when the swords are clashing and death is upon you. These pirates will be spared at times, they will also get a quick tip to improve and where things started going south for them. Yet many times there is little time for this, when one attacks another crew they should not underestimate their abilities... a pirate is a threat to be taken seriously.

(P.S. I also start commanding when dealing with the Kraken, sometimes with skeleton ships as well... you know the more difficult content)

• @vin-delanos So I guess that is the way it is.

Pirates will be Pirates

But IMO it's sad that this game has made central to their gameplay certain things that other games consider to be toxic.

It definitely has its market, as evidenced by everyone here, it's just annoying as someone who loves the game and it's artistic style to be unable to convince people to overcome the steep (and demoralizing) learning curve.

Luckily my friend got it off of Game Pass though so it's not like she is out $60. It really is a phenomenal deal especially just for trying out new games, especially ones that you might not buy or try otherwise.

@vin-delanos So I guess that is the way it is.

Pirates will be Pirates

But IMO it's sad that this game has made central to their gameplay certain things that other games consider to be toxic.

It definitely has its market, as evidenced by everyone here, it's just annoying as someone who loves the game and it's artistic style to be unable to convince people to overcome the steep (and demoralizing) learning curve.

Luckily my friend got it off of Game Pass though so it's not like she is out $60. It really is a phenomenal deal especially just for trying out new games, especially ones that you might not buy or try otherwise.

More crying. I'm done.

Every PvPr gets to enjoy the art style of this game, too. There is no steep learning curve - the curve is exactly as it was when the game released - set your sails, watch your horizon, dig. But now you have coconuts, mangoes, and pomegranates. Big deal.

Yeah, lucky your friend got if off game pass. If they didn't have someone like you (who can't handle a simple hoarder's voyage) teaching them, they might have enjoyed it.

I'm sure there is an iOS game out there with "pirates" where you can farm treasure chests all day with no worries.

• @galactic-geek said in What is a "Pirate" game?:

Just the other day, my crew and I got into it with another crew. Cannonballs were flying, fires were set, swords were clashing...

"TRUCE!"

Then, everybody stopped.

"Aye."

Moments later an alliance was formed, and we ended up supporting each other financially for hours after.

True story.

You'd be amazed at how simple it is sometimes. Failing that, though, keep your head on a swivel, and may your eyes never blink away from that horizon.

I find that sometimes simply offering a coconut is a great way to form an understanding of not trying to murder one another.

Plenty times ive had other pirates pull a gun on me and I pull out a coconut then they put their gun away. I dont know if it confuses them or they just really like coconuts I havent tried it with other fruits so not sure if like a banana would have same affect.

@vin-delanos So I guess that is the way it is.

Pirates will be Pirates

Im a day one player and find this one of the least toxic online multiplayer games I have ever played. Its funny I saw you mention Rockstar as an example and Rockstar games are on the top of the toxic list defense mode or not as far as I am concerned.

Steep learning curve? This game does not have a steep learning curve. Try hopping onto a game where there are multiple weapons with all kinds of bullets for different functions with bullet drop and all kinds of antidotes you need, medical supplies, equipment, have to repair your weapons, on and on all while if you get shot and killed by a player thats it you are dead as in dead, time to make a new character and start from scratch, now that is steep. Maybe you havent played more complex games but trust me this game is pretty easy to get into and forgiving to new comers especially since everyone is on the same level playing field as far as health stats, weapons ect. Actually that is part of why SOT is my time to relax game, I like how easy it is to play and do not need to know a million things. Im not saying there is no learning curve because of course with any game there is but I mean how many hours did your friend even play for ?

That is good , your friend tried it and found out this game is not for her. All games are made for people to play but not all games are meant for all people.

@vin-delanos
    But isn't that also what Article 6 of The Pirate Code is for?

alt text

If they shoot me first, then they will get sunk. Come at me with a sword? Dead. Shoot at me? Dead. Fire a cannon at me? Dead. Accept the fruit I give you? Alive. When I go out to other ships, 70% of the time they try to attack me, 20% of the time they are nice, and 10% of the time they log off.

Views
9 out of 70