Custom Server Update Discussion

• I'm still reading post after post of people complaining about PVP.
    Complain by not playing the game if you don't enjoy it in its current state.
    But you all keep logging in and giving the PVP focused players the exact gameplay experiences they crave.
    Your not really helping yourselves.

• @needsmokes a dit dans Custom Server Update Discussion :

I'm still reading post after post of people complaining about PVP.
    Complain by not playing the game if you don't enjoy it in its current state.
    But you all keep logging in and giving the PVP focused players the exact gameplay experiences they crave.
    Your not really helping yourselves.

Well, the pleasure they get is just the pleasure of annoying other people who have empty ships

• How about a penalty for those who kill a crew with bad ping? Make them weaker until it is an even fight and maybe even mark them with some kind of a curse so everyone on the server can see them and know what they were doing. Otherwise another server is needed for those of us with terrible internet connections. Don't tell me to not play a game that I paid good money for because you enjoy PVP on your super ultra high speed internet connection. That's not very nice or community minded... is it?

• @takuboto omg what a horrible idea.

• @surveyorpete PvE Servers - Some sort of Sea of Thieves server, where you cannot be killed, sunk, or have your loot taken away by other people,

That right there in bold has to be the dumbest idea I've heard at this point the game may as well not be called Sea of Thieves... And you are literally sucking the fun out of it too PvE to not sink and kill each other I get but not stealing loot??????

Like I said may as well not have Thieves in the title and not be a pirate game.

• Well as good as this is, I just noticed: “No gold or reputation progression from Custom Server sessions” - which is completely against what people are asking for and want so it’s going to annoy even more

• @menphuess said in Custom Server Update Discussion:

Well as good as this is, I just noticed: “No gold or reputation progression from Custom Server sessions” - which is completely against what people are asking for and want so it’s going to annoy even more

It really isnt against what people are asking for.

The only people that do want it are the ones that arent willing to better themselves and just want to subvert the core loop.

• @troubled-cells said in Custom Server Update Discussion:

@menphuess said in Custom Server Update Discussion:

Well as good as this is, I just noticed: “No gold or reputation progression from Custom Server sessions” - which is completely against what people are asking for and want so it’s going to annoy even more

The only people that do want it are the ones that arent willing to better themselves and just want to subvert the core loop.

I completely understand but what you are forgetting is that there are people who want to play PvE only, like elder scrolls online has PvE and PvP and a lot of players do not even touch the PVP side of this game. Lots of games have it and most just want a casual PvE game to level up.

Also, some players have disabilities which a private server would help them but when it’s limiting the fact of no progression for them, it does not make them worth wild to do it and struggle on the main servers.

There is a lot behind why people are requesting them for all sorts of reasons and this needs to be taken into consideration and thought off.

@troubled-cells said in Custom Server Update Discussion:

I completely understand but what you are forgetting is that there are people who want to play PvE only, like elder scrolls online has PvE and PvP and a lot of players do not even touch the PVP side of this game. Lots of games have it and most just want a casual PvE game to level up.

Also, some players have disabilities which a private server would help them but when it’s limiting the fact of no progression for them, it does not make them worth wild to do it and struggle on the main servers.

There is a lot behind why people are requesting them for all sorts of reasons and this needs to be taken into consideration and thought off.

Then the answer is tough.

They ain't gonna create a reward and progression based PvE adventure mode that can be massively abused all in the name of a virtue signal.

Rare has stated many many times over the years that this is a route they dont wish to pursue, because of the cheesing ability it gives.

Dont you guys ever feel like you are beating a dead horse about this?

They ain't gonna create a reward and progression based PvE adventure mode that can be massively abused all in the name of a virtue signal.

Rare has stated many many times over the years that this is a route they dont wish to pursue, because of the cheesing ability it gives.

I get it and for me it’s fine. I like the idea for both but I am thinking a lot of the larger scale and other people you know.

I get it and for me it’s fine. I like the idea for both but I am thinking a lot of the larger scale and other people you know.

I appreciate the good place you was coming from.

But the reality is that it really wouldnt work In the spirit that you hope it would.

It's not like you can even begin to vet the users that have access and a legitimate need for it on a disability level.

I'm all for disability settings within reason, I feel that there is a fair amount already, isnt text to speech available? Adaptive controller etc.

But the reality is that it really wouldnt work In the spirit that you hope it would.

It's not like you can even begin to vet the users that have access and a legitimate need for it on a disability level.

I'm all for disability settings within reason, I feel that there is a fair amount already, isnt text to speech available? Adaptive controller etc.

100% agree but the reason I mentioned disability is my niece has a motor neutron issue and makes gaming difficult, specially in a PvP area. She loves sea of thieves but cannot enjoy the full aspect when other players ruin it for her that is all so she only plays with myself as it’s the only way she gets a chance at anything you know.

Sad stuff. That is why I mentioned. Just a personal story and a slight background why the bone progression is a kick back you know.

100% agree but the reason I mentioned disability is my niece has a motor neutron issue and makes gaming difficult, specially in a PvP area. She loves sea of thieves but cannot enjoy the full aspect when other players ruin it for her that is all so she only plays with myself as it’s the only way she gets a chance at anything you know.

Sad stuff. That is why I mentioned. Just a personal story and a slight background why the bone progression is a kick back you know.

Totally understandable, but like I said how would a mode like this not be abused for farming and cheesing?

I just dont see it not being massively abused.

If we think complaints about server alliances are bad, this would be worse tenfold.

Is the gold and rep really that much of a deal breaker for your situation personally?

As custom servers can certainly give you and your niece the space and valuable time together privately or with close friends and family.

Surely that quality time trumps the need for gold and rep right?

Is the gold and rep really that much of a deal breaker for your situation personally?

As custom servers can certainly give you and your niece the space and valuable time together privately or with close friends and family.

To turn it around on you: Is the gold and rep for someone else really that much of a deal breaker for your situation? Who cares if they can gain gold and rep in a private server. Other than whining about "it's not faaaaaaair", how does it impact the other players?

• @cptphteven said in Custom Server Update Discussion:

To turn it around on you: Is the gold and rep for someone else really that much of a deal breaker for your situation? Who cares if they can gain gold and rep in a private server. Other than whining about "it's not faaaaaaair", how does it impact the other players?

I mean the answer to your question is pretty much in my previous posts.

I was crystal clear.

It's an issue for many many people I'm afraid.

• At the end of the day I would say it’s a game meant to be played the way you want.

Everything in the game is purely cosmetic which is great. If Someone played on a private server ONLY and then decided to join the real world with all their gold and rep, what’s the problem? None! It does not effect me at all the rep and gold someone has. It shows nothing, heck you could leave your system rubber banding on idle in arena and get to 50, yes it would take a while but still rep and gold achieved but doesn’t say you are a good player.

It’s a game. It’s purely cosmetic and think today society are to caught up in other peoples business and telling them how to play.

What does effect me is when someone uses an exploit to gain an advantage of hacks/ cheats. That’s an issue.. a custom private server? No! You are not getting any different to anyone else or any advantage or anything special. It just means you want some peace.

That’s the way I see it. I would use both private and normal for PvP action. Everyone has the right to play the game the way they want.

It’s like the pirate emporium and earning in game. This is a hot debate... why not give both sides, allow people to earn in game and then others to buy it... it does not effect anyone if I bought an item and you earn in game, it’s still the exact same item.

Hopefully the devs do something decent and see our views and make a decision you know. Yea they’ve said before but they can also turn it around you know.

Cheesing in a private server? You cannot cheese anything. Alliance servers are used and abused and nothing special but get rep easy and quickly. Again shows nothing to a persons skill in the game or devotion to time played as it’s all cosmetic so let everyone just do what they want which is allowed before people dictate when they have no right.

• @menphuess You're approaching everything from a very individual viewpoint, which doesn't necessarily work for the larger picture.

Does it matter if people earn emporium items or just pay outright for them? Not really because everything is just cosmetics. Rare might have a problem with that though since their business model expects a certain level of sales of emporium items and having everything earnable in game would likely impact the amount that is sold, which affects their bottom line and how much time they are able to devote to this game to continue delivering updates.

Does it matter if people get to Pirate Legend or do world events in a private environment or through the regular servers? For some people it won't, but I think it would affect the regular game in a negative way. Voyages, world events, loot grinds and other high risk activities would migrate to the private/PvE server and the regular servers would just become ship smashfests and meaningless PVP.

Alliance servers are not supported, but they are not endorsed either. Because they are quite a small number they don't have any significant impact on the larger gameplay ecosystem. If you were able to create alliance servers at will, then it would become a problem.

At the end of the day I would say it’s a game meant to be played the way you want.

Everything in the game is purely cosmetic which is great. If Someone played on a private server ONLY and then decided to join the real world with all their gold and rep, what’s the problem? None! It does not effect me at all the rep and gold someone has. It shows nothing, heck you could leave your system rubber banding on idle in arena and get to 50, yes it would take a while but still rep and gold achieved but doesn’t say you are a good player.

It’s a game. It’s purely cosmetic and think today society are to caught up in other peoples business and telling them how to play.

What does effect me is when someone uses an exploit to gain an advantage of hacks/ cheats. That’s an issue.. a custom private server? No! You are not getting any different to anyone else or any advantage or anything special. It just means you want some peace.

That’s the way I see it. I would use both private and normal for PvP action. Everyone has the right to play the game the way they want.

It’s like the pirate emporium and earning in game. This is a hot debate... why not give both sides, allow people to earn in game and then others to buy it... it does not effect anyone if I bought an item and you earn in game, it’s still the exact same item.

Hopefully the devs do something decent and see our views and make a decision you know. Yea they’ve said before but they can also turn it around you know.

Cheesing in a private server? You cannot cheese anything. Alliance servers are used and abused and nothing special but get rep easy and quickly. Again shows nothing to a persons skill in the game or devotion to time played as it’s all cosmetic so let everyone just do what they want which is allowed before people dictate when they have no right.

Unfortunately for your point, it is crystal clear that rare disagrees with the rep and gold being meaningless and not affecting others.

If the rep and currency is so meaningless then what's the problem with playing on a custom server without any?

Nobody advocating for PvE seems to want to answer this directly.

• @d3adst1ck said in Custom Server Update Discussion:

If you were able to create alliance servers at will, then it would become a problem.

To be perfectly frank: You pretty much can. My group of friends, with 6 of us, manage to get 4 out of 5 ships on a server in about 10-15 minutes of trying on a Friday evening. It's not hard to do, nor is it particularly time consuming. In our case, we do it mostly as a way to have all 6 of us playing together on one server and having the server to ourselves (for all practical purposes) is just a side bonus.

@d3adst1ck said in Custom Server Update Discussion:

If you were able to create alliance servers at will, then it would become a problem.

To be perfectly frank: You pretty much can. My group of friends, with 6 of us, manage to get 4 out of 5 ships on a server in about 10-15 minutes of trying on a Friday evening. It's not hard to do, nor is it particularly time consuming. In our case, we do it mostly as a way to have all 6 of us playing together on one server and having the server to ourselves (for all practical purposes) is just a side bonus.

To be clear, I was referring to being able to do so by yourself. You can game the matchmaking to get multiple players in the same server if you are all in the same region, but you can't just start one up or with players spread across different regions and invite other players after the fact.

So if it's that easy to do, you dont really need an official PvE server with gold and rep in the menus.

@cptphteven said in Custom Server Update Discussion:

So if it's that easy to do, you dont really need an official PvE server with gold and rep in the menus.

No, I, don't. But, by the same token, the game is more enjoyable for me when I can opt out of PvP, so I will continue to ask for that option because I don't only play when I have my full group around. At the end of the day, though, it's not you I have to convince that a PvE option would increase the playerbase.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, a Tall Tale server with it's own faction and rep satisfies everything for both sets of players, and there's no real reason for anyone to object to it.

• @cptphteven Rare responsed already to that criticism with checkpoints.

@cptphteven Rare responsed already to that criticism with checkpoints.

I don't know what you are talking about, because 1) I didn't make a criticism, and 2) the point of making a tall tale server isn't because they are too hard to do with PvP. It's to provide a smaller, PvE focused area for people to play where their progress is limited to only tall tale progression, but they can still "make progress" and have the casual game experience.

It would be to PvE what Arena is to PvP.

• @cptphteven you arent the first or last to ask for this.

Rares response was check points.

I was crystal clear.

@cptphteven you arent the first or last to ask for this.

I was crystal clear.

Rare's response to people wanting a separate PvE experience was checkpoints?

@cptphteven you arent the first or last to ask for this.

I was crystal clear.

Rare's response to people wanting a separate PvE experience was checkpoints?

Rare's response to people wanting tall tales separated to a PvE mode is checkpoints.

alt text

• @troubled-cells
    I'm not sure what you're issue here is, but Rare's response to people wanting a PvE mode of the game was not making checkpoints for tall tales. That was their response to PvP ruining the tall tale experience.

A tall tale mode would be a response to something else: namely, people wanting a casual mode of play that omits the PvP experience. You can say their response to that was "no, you can't have that", but you can't say that checkpoints are their response to players requesting a PvE mode because that makes absolutely no sense.

@troubled-cells
    I'm not sure what you're issue here is, but Rare's response to people wanting a PvE mode of the game was not making checkpoints for tall tales. That was their response to PvP ruining the tall tale experience.

A tall tale mode would be a response to something else: namely, people wanting a casual mode of play that omits the PvP experience. You can say their response to that was "no, you can't have that", but you can't say that checkpoints are their response to players requesting a PvE mode because that makes absolutely no sense.

Might be in your view, certainly wasnt rares.

Rares was a combination of responding to both.

@troubled-cells

How are tall tale checkpoints a response to players not wanting PvP? Edit: That's like saying the police giving you back your wallet after it got stolen is a response to not wanting to get mugged.

@troubled-cells

How are tall tale checkpoints a response to players not wanting PvP?

Because a vocal minority like yourself wishes to do them without the element of PvP

Rare doesn't wish to separate the mode in this way.
    alt text

@troubled-cells

Because a vocal minority like yourself wishes to do them without the element of PvP

Can you please knock of the annoying Gifs? I get that you are frustrated, but there's no need to be a jerk about it.

Anyway, Checkpoints aren't a response to players not wanting PvP while they tall tale, because it doesn't do anything to stop PvP while you are doing a tall tale.

According to you, this is what went down (more or less).
    Players: I want to play casually without PvP.
    Rare: Here, now you can recover your state after you sink in a tall tale.
    Players: That's not what I asked for, but ok...

From what I can tell, this is what actually happened (more or less).
    Players: Losing your progress when you sink on a tall tale is a pain because it's not easily replaceable like most loot.
    Rare: That makes sense, here's something so you don't get set back as far when you get sunk while doing a tall tale.

Checkpoints were answering a distinct issue that has a similar root cause (frustration at losing progress) as players wanting a PvE experience, but isn't the same request.

@troubled-cells

Can you please knock of the annoying Gifs? I get that you are frustrated, but there's no need to be a jerk about it.

Anyway, Checkpoints aren't a response to players not wanting PvP while they tall tale, because it doesn't do anything to stop PvP while you are doing a tall tale.

According to you, this is what went down (more or less).
    Players: I want to play casually without PvP.
    Rare: Here, now you can recover your state after you sink in a tall tale.
    Players: That's not what I asked for, but ok...

From what I can tell, this is what actually happened (more or less).
    Players: Losing your progress when you sink on a tall tale is a pain because it's not easily replaceable like most loot.
    Rare: That makes sense, here's something so you don't get set back as far when you get sunk while doing a tall tale.

Checkpoints were answering a distinct issue that has a similar root cause (frustration at losing progress) as players wanting a PvE experience, but isn't the same request.

It's not meant to stop PvP, that's the whole point lol

Its meant to retain your progress, and one of those factors is Because of PvP

Rare doesn't want to separate it, but recognised that the progress was valuable due to the time investment for some users.

It's called a compromise.

(...) Checkpoints were answering a distinct issue that has a similar root cause (frustration at losing progress) as players wanting a PvE experience, but isn't the same request.

No, not being able to finish a Tall Tale was one of the reasons people asked for a PvE server.

Rare removed that reason by introducing the checkpoints.

If Rare would have the idea of a PvE server in mind or in the works, the Tall Tale checkpoints would be a pointless addition... as a PvE server would do the job as well.

• @lem0n-curry said in Custom Server Update Discussion:

(...) Checkpoints were answering a distinct issue that has a similar root cause (frustration at losing progress) as players wanting a PvE experience, but isn't the same request.

No, not being able to finish a Tall Tale was one of the reasons people asked for a PvE server.

Rare removed that reason by introducing the checkpoints.

If Rare would have the idea of a PvE server in mind or in the works, the Tall Tale checkpoints would be a pointless addition... as a PvE server would do the job as well.

How long ago were tall tale checkpoints added, and did they do anything to reduce people asking for PvE servers?

Views
364 out of 443