PvP feels like a side-activity and I am having a hard time understanding why they want to keep everything fair.

• Hello
    I bought the game recently and I do have around 40 hours in the game. We made some ashen skeleton forts, killed the flamebeard fleet several times, did the kraken and megalodon and so on...It was all pretty fun but it was mainly a PvE adventure. Encounters with enemies were pretty rare and sometimes we even put that red pirate flag up which marks you on the map. Now I have read that:
    -they don't want premade groups of players to join the same server on different ships because it would be unfair.
    -they don't want any kind of upgrades even if they were so small (f.e. the cooking station^^) because it would be unfair.
    -they don't want any kind of specialization in a specific role because it would be unfair.
    -they don't want any actual meaningful use for gold (like ammo, food, crafting etc..) because it would be unfair.
    Now don't get me wrong, I like the "skill" based matchmaking. But I feel like those are a whole lot of No-Go's for an aspect, which doesn't seem to be the center of the game. I enjoyed this game as a PvE adventure. And yes the PvP fights were really fun too, but they felt more like an optional side-activity.
    In addition to that, there are only 5 ships per server. An immersive multiplayer battle with fleet vs fleet is already technically impossible. So I am asking myself: Why are they restricting themselves so much for something that isn't even that crucial in the game? And btw. since when are pirates playing "fair"? ;)
    I'd like to hear what you think about this...
    kind regards

Views
    general
  • -they don't want any kind of upgrades even if they were so small (f.e. the cooking station^^) because it would be unfair.

They don't want purchasable upgrades, food isn't the same. Cooked food is something that you have to go out in the world and find just like the myriad of munitions you gather. The are consumables that have no effect on your ship's ability to sink.Wraith-balls, Mega Kegs, and fish are things you have to go out and gather.

I am hoping they keep with this trend of having to complete tasks in order to gain powerful tools, it just drives the economy more while even rewarded PvE tasks with things designed to be used not just sold. With the introduction of Ghost ships, I believe Rare made a step in the right direction of De-Salting some people who invest time completing events with being rewarded back with supplies. Overall its less of a time sink prepping for these.

Why are they restricting themselves so much for something that isn't even that crucial in the game? And btw. since when are pirates playing "fair"? ;)

You are still relatively new to the game, it won't be long before all of those sea threats become nuisances. PvP becomes crucial when that happens, because the seas no longer have any form of threat. I've stopped sinking to the environment long ago, the only time I do is when players are involved. What you see as optional I see as crucial, because without it I would have stopped long ago. It is primarily what I engage in as well.

For your comment on fairness, this still remains a game. In the context of a game fairness will always be needed. Rich pirates with deep pockets should still remain an even playing field to that fresh spawn ship.

Views
general
1 out of 2