Sword balance changes

• Hi!
    When the Ships of Fortune update came out, the sword was buffed from 20% hp/slash to 25% hp/slash, making it a 4 hit kill. Ever since this update, many people I met on the seas complained about spamming the cutlass, and how its too OP. I, personally, didn't have that many issues with this, although i think the cutlass needs a little bit of rebalance, so here's my idea:

The cutlass has a three-hit combo, right? What if the first slash did 15, the second slash did 25, and the third slash did 35 damage? This way, the overall damage of a three-slash combo would remain the same, but you would need to land 5 hits on an enemy (assuming you can combo your hits) to send him/her to the Ferry. This change would encourage people to combo the sword with a flintlock, meaning this weapon would get an indirect buff.

What are your thoughts on this?

Views
    competition
  • @magyarvok1222 so basically just revert the changes

i think the sword is fine

• @magyarvok1222

The reason the sword is where its at is because of double gunning. Why do players keep ignoring that fact and focusing on the sword?

Since the sword buff I have RARELY ran into any double gunners. Even those streamers that players seem to crush over are using swords now. Revert sword and we have to deal with double gunning again.

EDIT Basically, combat needs to be reworked from the ground up.

• @magyarvok1222 I don't think this is the way it should be done but the sword definitely needs a nerf.

• @xultanis-dragon said in Sword balance changes:

@magyarvok1222

The reason the sword is where its at is because of double gunning. Why do players keep ignoring that fact and focusing on the sword?

Since the sword buff I have RARELY ran into any double gunners. Even those streamers that players seem to crush over are using swords now. Revert sword and we have to deal with double gunning again.

EDIT Basically, combat needs to be reworked from the ground up.

I feel the same way matey! I don't want to see a rise in double gunning again!

• @jctc758 said in Sword balance changes:

@magyarvok1222 I don't think this is the way it should be done but the sword definitely needs a nerf.

Agree to disagree. It's in a better state now than it has ever been in before.

• @galactic-geek The sword was in it's best and moat equal state when the game first came out.

• @jctc758 sagte in Sword balance changes:

@galactic-geek The sword was in it's best and moat equal state when the game first came out.

why, because you like to use exploits?

cutlass got exploited like guns and other stuff got exploited.
    they nerfed things they didnt intend and other things they didnt intend, but were fun to use were kept in the game.
    guess why they implemented delay's and made it "clunkier".
    Just a guess why they did that?!?
    Can you guess something why they took out the fluidity of the cutlass when you could combo to no end hitting the environment or just the floor?
    Or when you could bypass the lunge delay?
    Or why did they put in delays in form of animations for switching weapons or adjusted animations for reloading for example?
    Because to drive players away?
    Do you think the games playerbase had increased because of nerfs or decreased?
    And do you think a company what is after money in the first line does things that let them earn less money?
    Maybe the nerfs to DG and buffs to cutlass, before it got nerfed to death lead to more players playing and having fun?!
    and maybe it's good and we have only some tryhards complaining because they can shout git gud and adapt or die to others, but when they need to do it by themself they are stubbornly refusing to use a cutlass - the pirate weapon no.#1 and the bread and butter swiss knife of any pirate?!

It got fixed, it got balanced, it isn't perfect at all, but in the best state regarding balance than ever!
    Nor was the launch combat more balanced neither was it that good balanced at any time but now.

people who complain about the sword often said before git gut, when they DG'd or even DGE'd.
    So we had to adapt and use DG by ourself and maybe learn to DGE.

for a pirate game bunnyhpooing DG'ers are really silly imho, but ok i understand some people want FPS only and play pirates on land.
    I say that because many argued they do TDM in Forts in Arena without ships and feel they are the "premium" PvPers, at least they call themself this and seem to be a little bit entitled and biased, but ok.

as allways, the game is not a FPS!
    Rare need to make the combat easy to learn and simple for a wide audience and with crossplay in mind!
    Split players on xbox only Servers need not to be promoted and arent a thing anyway, because xbox only is just a preference.
    So the overall aim is to balance combat for young and old, controller and M&KB.
    Also a low skill gap is good to have for a shared PvEvP world without any matchmaking to have as much as possible competetive people.

Knowledge about the game and skill playing videogames and fighting gives allways advantages.
    This game should not be build or balanced around hardcore FPS players who want to domintate with their aiming skill - we have other games to do so.
    SoT is and will hopefully never fit into these sort of e-sport FPS gaming genre, but stay a fun comical pirate game with a low skillgap and welcoming all players, including casuals, complete noobs, young and old - a family game with funny PvP!

• @bugaboo-bill I am not getting into another one of these converstations with you. The sword needs to be better balanced end of story.

• @jctc758 no arguments eh - lol

@galactic-geek The sword was in it's best and moat equal state when the game first came out.

Sword on sword combat was great at launch... yet once people noticed guns were superior, the meta became double gunning and has remained that way for a very long time.

You are ignoring the fact that when a game comes out, people don't know the ins and outs of combat. There is a reason guns became dominant and no it wasn't the streamers... they just help spread the word once people started go figure it out: guns were superior.

The balance isn't there yet in my view, some tweaks are needed, but it has improved for those that enjoy the sword.

• @cotu42 The sword buff made PvP worse for good players and better for bad players.

@cotu42 The sword buff made PvP worse for good players and better for bad players.

It brought more balance to the player experience, which is the point.

This game is intended for a very broad audience, not just a small minority of the community who fail to see the bigger picture of what Sea of Thieves currently is and is trying to be.

• Nerf sword rare. Sword takes no skill. Take sword out of the game. @Bugaboo-Bill do you think clicking your mouse randomly takes skill. I’m tired of getting killed to Xbox sword spammers

• Rare, is trying to balance a game. If skill is involved how can everyone be on the same level. Logic

• In real life guns are better so if you want to be a bot and use sword that is fine but don’t punish use skillful double gunners for it. You nerfed double gun so badly that there is nothing else to nerf so you now will start buffing sword until it is a one tap. Good game

• @mistyxy said in Sword balance changes:

In real life guns are better

This isn't real life.

so if you want to be a bot

Classy.

and use sword that is fine

Great, so why are you complaining and insulting other pirates in the process?

but don’t punish use skillful double gunners for it.

They're not - outside of gamebreaking issues and exploits, nothing has changed in reference to the use of double-guns.

You nerfed double gun so badly that there is nothing else to nerf

No, they fixed it so it was balanced, and despite that, the sword was still behind.

so you now will start buffing sword until it is a one tap.

Not true, and quite a giant leap away from logic. Don't get so emotional.

Good game

Good game? This isn't a game. This is a serious discussion.

In real life guns are better so if you want to be a bot and use sword that is fine but don’t punish use skillful double gunners for it. You nerfed double gun so badly that there is nothing else to nerf so you now will start buffing sword until it is a one tap. Good game

In real life at that the time in history, a gun was not better than swords. In real life the flintlock was horrible inaccurate. Took 42 seconds to reload, and after jumping into the water the gun would perfectly useless.

There you go.

@cotu42 The sword buff made PvP worse for good players and better for bad players.

Matters what you consider good or bad. Personally I believe a good player still has the ability to out play the other and yet aren't limited to using guns. It also provides those with skills to kill those people that believe that being able to tank through a sword to reload and shoot made them skilled. If you use guns, you need to be good at kiting and frankly many just aren't and yet I find those that are and they wipe the floor with me.

I enjoy a sword and seek a challenging fight - I dont care about loot a single good fight can make my evening, you should have heard my surprised reaction when I finally met a pirate that actually could sword fight just the other day. That legend used the whole set of tools: swipe, dodge, blocks, lunge, swapping to blunderbuss and was the best fight I had in ages. Though I still won, I can guarantee that no sword spam swipe swipe would have bested that pirate.

If you are seeking high complex mechanical gameplay, this game isn't the place to find it. Guns are simple, swords are simple... if you are any good, then you have good positioning. If you cannot fight a sword user in a 1v1 and win with guns, you just aren't that good.

This is a pirate game, swords are a part of the pirate fantasy game. If you want a pure FPS go play Valorant or CS those have true skilled gunplay at their core.

Sword takes no skill.

I’m tired of getting killed to Xbox sword spammers

Why are you dying to a 'no skill weapon'? Maybe you should just get better? After all, it takes no skill so it should be really easy to outplay it.

• @cotu42 I enjoy a sword and seek a challenging fight - I dont care about loot a single good fight can make my evening, you should have heard my surprised reaction when I finally met a pirate that actually could sword fight just the other day. That legend used the whole set of tools: swipe, dodge, blocks, lunge, swapping to blunderbuss and was the best fight I had in ages. Though I still won, I can guarantee that no sword spam swipe swipe would have bested that pirate.

Why thank you! I appreciate the compliment! 😁

• @mistyxy Ok Ok. Nerf the sword but DO NOT take it out of the game. Do remember that the game is a pirate game.

• @mferr11 That is the whole point of it being a no skill weapon. If it was overpowered and took a lot of skill to use, then fair enough. But the facts it takes no skill makes it overpowered.

• @galactic-geek we still need to find a way to battle it out, the opponent I met was an amazing opponent that caught me off guard with their extremely well timed dodge jumps to create distance in a more defensive manner than your style 😆 that allowed for the ability for him to swap weapons and have me deal with a blunderbuss on top of a sword.

It was a fight I think I will give some good thought to figure out some of his moves.

• @cotu42 said in Sword balance changes:

@galactic-geek we still need to find a way to battle it out, the opponent I met was an amazing opponent that caught me off guard with their extremely well timed dodge jumps to create distance in a more defensive manner than your style 😆 that allowed for the ability for him to swap weapons and have me deal with a blunderbuss on top of a sword.

It was a fight I think I will give some good thought to figure out some of his moves.

🤫🤭

@mferr11 That is the whole point of it being a no skill weapon. If it was overpowered and took a lot of skill to use, then fair enough. But the facts it takes no skill makes it overpowered.

It's not exactly Rocket Science; all of the weapons upon the Sea are easy to use - you either point and shoot or swing. Easy!

However, it's a bit more than that - knowing what to use and when is critical to your continued success.

For example, you can swing your sword all you want and get results, but to stay alive, you also need to know how to block, sword dodge, flank, charge, and cancel.

The firearms are just as complicated - they require good positioning, distance, aiming, the element of surprise, and baiting in order to be truly effective.

Views
competition
1 out of 26