SoT Steam: will we be able to get steam version for free if we already bought it in the microsoft store?

• As the title suggests, can we get it on the steam store or connect the game to steam in some way?

Views
    question
  • @tanchipsahoy Ahoy matey!

Unfortunately not, this is direct from the Steam FAQ:

Do I get the game for free on Steam if I already own it?

No. Players on Xbox One and Windows 10 will not receive an entitlement to a free Steam copy. However, cross play breaks down barriers by enabling new Steam players to crew up easily with existing players on Xbox One and Windows 10.

• @tanchipsahoy no. Different platform so you buy it again. It would be the same if it came out for the playstation.

• Yeah, have to buy it but your character and commendation, ancient coins, gold, etc, transfer over.

I just wish there was some kind of launch cosmetics available for early Steam adopters only, for now, other than possibly a slight performance improvement, there's little incentive to get it if you already own the game.

If there would've been a pre-order with some cosmetics I probably would've got it, right now it's not enough to convince many of us to double-dip.

• @inboundbomb Thats odd because the platform is 'Windows' (as opposed to OS/x or Linux) which supports both Steam and Xbox live.

You sure its not just a greedy money grab by companies that are motivated by profit?

• Steam is outside of the xbox ecosystem so its not a normal digital 'play anywhere' & 'cross play' title where you buy on win10 store you also get it on xbox.

• @mhtt42o said in SoT Steam: will we be able to get steam version for free if we already bought it in the microsoft store?:

@inboundbomb Thats odd because the platform is 'Windows' (as opposed to OS/x or Linux) which supports both Steam and Xbox live.

You sure its not just a greedy money grab by companies that are motivated by profit?

The previous version however wasn't Windows, but the Windows Store, which is effectively a different platform.

As to whether or not it's a money grubbing move, I'll leave that up to others to decide.

• @motu-is-motu

Nothing I hate more than platform exclusive content.

alt text

• @theturnipking "Windows Store, which is effectively a different platform." not to be nit picky, but the store is purely content delivery system, and not in and of itself a platform: it does not utilize sound or display drivers, I/O channels, and does not have a graphics api like DirectX, Open GL or Vulkan. Microsoft store can't even eject optical media LOL. It is distinctly different application and can be hosted by Windows, or other operating systems, one level of abstraction, at least, higher.

• @mhtt42o said in SoT Steam: will we be able to get steam version for free if we already bought it in the microsoft store?:

@inboundbomb Thats odd because the platform is 'Windows' (as opposed to OS/x or Linux) which supports both Steam and Xbox live.

I look at it that steam has to buy the licensing to Microsoft's game to sell. So you are just buying it from another vendor. Greedy maybe but to me it's still the same premise.

• @vac-hombre said in SoT Steam: will we be able to get steam version for free if we already bought it in the microsoft store?:

@motu-is-motu

alt text

• @motu-is-motu said in SoT Steam: will we be able to get steam version for free if we already bought it in the microsoft store?:

@vac-hombre said in SoT Steam: will we be able to get steam version for free if we already bought it in the microsoft store?:

@motu-is-motu

alt text
    LOL, I hear ya, I'm just not finding enough incentive to double-dip, would've gladly pre-ordered if there was something you'd get for pre-ordering or w/e, but nada, the performance improvement noticeable but just barely, worth £3o+? No.

• LOL, I hear ya, I'm just not finding enough incentive to double-dip, would've gladly pre-ordered if there was something you'd get for pre-ordering or w/e, but nada, the performance improvement noticeable but just barely, worth £3o+? No.

• No. It’s on a different client therefore you’ll have to rebuy it. Also the steam version will still run on the same servers so you will retain your character and progress

• Would you buy something from a super market, then walk in to another and expect to take the same item for free because you already paid for it elsewhere?

• [mod edit]

• @postwantscookie Your post has been edited as it goes against the Forum Rules and Pirate Code.

NEVER
    Advertise, spam, troll or engage in witch hunts. There are areas in our official Forums and on our verified Discord server where you can advertise your own community groups – just ask if you don’t know where to find them. Other kinds of advertising are not appropriate. Any form of spamming should be avoided. Trolling, baiting and witch hunts are also unacceptable. If you have evidence that you think our Customer Support team should see to help them take action against a player, send it to them using the process outlined at the end of this article..

If you believe a player has been toxic in the game, you can report them to Xbox Live here. You can also submit a support ticket to Rare Player Support.

Topics and posts with this content will be locked, deleted and the users involved warned. Ignoring the warning will result in a temporary ban from the Forums and a final warning. If the action continues, a permanent ban from the Forums will be issued.

Also, as this thread was 7 months old and revived today, it will now be locked.

A general reminder to all, please avoid reviving threads aged past 30 days, as it is considered a necro, and is against our Forum Rules.

Bumping Threads
    Bumping threads with content that is not providing additional information to the original post is not permitted. Resurrecting very old threads is also not permitted. A warning will be issued and the thread locked. Ignoring the warning will result in a temporary ban from the Forums and a final warning. If the action continues, a permanent ban from the Forums will be issued.

Views
question
14 out of 17