Solo Playing Threats At Sea

• Guy's as a solo player you need to tone back the PVE. I've lost count on how many time's I have been sunk by multiple threats at the same time in the game. The last time I was sunk because I had the Kraken, Ghost ship and Volcano all at the same time! It isn't fun, and I can't be the only solo player who feel's that way or who this happen's to on a regular basis!

Having one of the sea threats (Kraken, Meg, Ghost ship) wouldn't be so bad, but not multiple together...

A side note about the Kraken. You guy's seriously need to think about revamping it because in it's current form the Kraken is pointless and only severs as a annoyance, I would be very surprised if a small number of your player base even kill's it, or enjoy's it in the game for that matter. The Kraken's mechanic's are annoying and again not fun. Also I have lost count on how many time's I have started the game, and with in less then two minute's from sailing away from the out post the Kraken appears! It's faster to just leave game and join another server then waste the time getting out of its way.

Views
  • @mooopheus

The PvE' encounters are an annoyance but thats all. Just an annoyance. I've been tri-encountered a few times and you just have to understand the rules of the game.

Kraken will attack you and the skelly ship.

Skelly ship will attack you and the meg.

Meg will attack the Skelly ship and the Kraken and you.

You focus on the Kraken. DO not shoot the meg ever until you are free to do so.

Kraken takes 2 tentacles to kill, so if you are hitting every shot 16 cannon balls.

Meg takes 20 cannon balls to sink.

Skelly ship sinks depending on how good your shots are.

If you the shoot the Kraken tentacle before it wraps you, then you won't get wrapped.

The games AI isn't an AI. Its simple programing. If A does this, then enemy does B.

Should they tone it down? Probably. Honestly the PvE encounters have been really bothersome. Almost everytime I'm about to sneak up onto an enemy ship I get skelly shipped or something else. Its annoying as hell.

Should they change it because players are being sunk? No

Should they change the spawn rates because its annoying as hell? Maybe.

• Before they buffed the loot of the random events, i might have agreed with you, but now i actually enjoy getting those events. It helps build up the emmisary flag faster than you otherwise could (Kraken excluded).. Kraken is heavily scaled down when you are on a sloop. You just have to kill 2 tentacles, and it's gone, and if you dont bother killing it, just turn 180 degrees and go downstairs and repair. If it wraps you or hits you, you go up and deal with it, otherwise, keep going out of it and repair. Deal with meg / skeleton ships afterwards. 10 cannonballs is usually enough to sink a skeleton sloop (you will never get a skelly galleon as a sloop), and 2 shots on the meg while it bites will deflect the attack (Yes i know this is not always possible)

But all in all, i think it feels okay as it is now, even as a solo player, and even when you get all 3 events at the same time.(Which usually only happens when you spend hours on an island)

• Xultanis Dragon I never said change the PVE because I was sunk, I just said maybe they could tone it back. As far as knowing the rules of the encounters, not everyone knows them, you aren't told them within the game, also children play the game to that won't know the rules of the encounters, and that they would have to fine out for them self out side of the game.

• @mooopheus

???? We all had to find out the rules by ourselves. I know I did, I know lots of others who did as well. I play the game, I pay attention, I test things out, I learn.

We all had to learn how to play the game and we all learned the rules.

If children are playing this game, thats on them. This game isn't geared for children, its for teens and up. Check the rating.

Children aside, I had to learn how to play games when I was a child. I learned and paid attention. They could do the same.

• Solo slooper here.

They don't need to tone anything back.

Enjoy!

• Sailing solo is effectively the game's hardcore mode. You're informed of that when you're selecting your ship type.

• I see two sides to this, it sucks to lose a few hours worth of loot due to a situation you likely will not survive. Megs and skeleton ships are random as far as I can tell, but the Kraken only appears when there are no other events such as forts or battle for the sea of thieves events, so don't set sail until you see skull or ship clouds.
    Last week I was in the Devil's Roar as on Oos emissary, I was within range of an active volcano when I was grabbed by the Kraken. I did what I could but ultimately lost my ship. The volcano ceased once my ship sank and I battled the Kraken with my sword and eye of reach. When all was said and done I was out of food, had barely a sliver of health left, but I survived the encounter while even defeating a tentical without a ship. Sure, there was no loot and I lost what I had, but it was a fun and exciting encounter which I will remember far longer than had I just delivered several skulls to an outpost.

• Agree as well.

• Wouldn't be so bad if your row boat didn't bug out and not let you row your loot back to shore.

• I hate the Devils Roar completely just because of all this "seismic activity" sh°° and all it does is cost you time ( evading volcanos by sailing off until the erruption is finally over ) and the earthquakes are annoying... and the geysiers are annoying as well.

My lowered hat for Rare trying to bring in something new and atmospheric, which they succeeded in, but the sheer appearance of the seismic activity in the Devils Roar is just too much for me in any case.
    I will not go back into the Roar to farm the achievements there or anything, if the seismic activity is not weakened 2 times over.

You have the fog there regularly too or maybe I am just (un/lucky?) there.
    Fog looks great and I enjoy it very much!
    But the seismic activity? Screw it.
    Cannot take it anymore. Its just so frustrating to be blocked by the never ending barrage of earthquakes, geysiers and volcanos.

• @Mooopheus
    LoL it is scaled down for Sloops and toned down a lot already.
    Good you didnt sail in the original Roar and completed the event solo or tried to fight the og cursed crews.

• @mooopheus Getting hit by all three events at once is the only thing that makes solo PvE fun. The solo events are so easy nowadays.

• Rare has said

Solo is hard mode
    Devils roar is hard mode

So you are getting what you are looking for

• @omnipotence13 sagte in Solo Playing Threats At Sea:

Rare has said
    |
    Devils roar is hard mode

They did? This visually unappealing grey, PvE annoying festival of a freshly forming planet earth is intended to be this annoying?
    And it will never be toned back a little? Not that I ever hoped for it truly... there is enough content in the game to totally ignore the Roar for most of the time.

But to hear this is really depressing.
    In the end it is still one of the visual different parts of the game that can be enjoyed just like a relaxing holiday trip.
    Until the seismic activity kicks in again... and reminds you of " No chill here! "

€dit:
    Also I say the following with complete honesty
    The Roar is not difficult at all. But it's often ANNOYING as hell.

• @odyssee-mit-tee

The og Roar was like 10 times more dangerous.
    All is toned down to braindead easy already. Especially for Sloops.
    I was always against that downscaling for Sloops as it is immersion breaking and if you compare commendations you encourage people to sloop instead to crew up, because 500 Skeleton ships in a sloop is more easy. 10 Kraken kills and all the Megs also.
    Before they were threats to everybody and in a sloop you was really challenged and often got sunk.
    And this is how it should brle as the environment should encourage everybody to crew up!

The Roar is a joke, all who have played the Forsaken Shores Event know this! I did a lot 9f it solo in a sloop, some times you had to sail away 5 times from an island erupting. There was no chance to withstand this, even in Galleones it was hard. Vulcanoes literally snipered you from far away etc...

All who encountered old Skaleones and Megs in Sloops know who insanely easy it is today.
    It's like the Kindergarten Version of the original threats.
    All of them!!!

• @bugaboo-bill sagte in Solo Playing Threats At Sea:

It's like the Kindergarten Version of the original threats.
    All of them!!!

Really? °_°
    I feel like the Skellyships of today are the most dangerous I have ever seen.
    And this comes from a 'Finder of Warsmith'. :D

Only the Galleons though. I had a Galleon shooting the sh°° out of me also a week ago, it had the most aggressive cannoneers I ever witnessed. For a moment it felt like Rare finally patched the Man'o'War into the game and it was out to get me!

It felt like I was hit with a cannonball every 10 second through the entire fight.
    But it was the boss-wave Galleon of a Fleetbattle so maybe this Galleon was not normal and supposed to be like that.

Solo-Slooping and hoping for skeleton-Sloops to approach you might be a much safer method that is right but you forget something. ;)
    The bigger playerships are always there for you to remind you that you are just a sloop and that you can trust no one. =)
    Bigger ships do not need to face this threat that much.

Yeah I heard about the Roar being a literal Hell at the release.
    I went there right into as well but it felt also just like today for me.
    Just like most Skeletonships. Maybe I was just lucky? ^^

But the spawnrate of Skeletons on a Skeleton-Galleon is insane nowadays, you have no time to catch a breath on it most of the time when you decide to board and defend some holes.
    If you even find the time for that!

The spawnrate of PvE on sloops might summon easier encounters but ultimately sloops will always be disadvantaged against bigger player ships.
    If a Galleon or Brigantine needs highlvl-PvE encounters to sink the sloop that is holding its ground against them by whatever means...
    ... this is the moment they can make the sloop as fast as all the other ships with the wind, cause otherwise sloop would do nothing but suck. :D

And I want my two cannons on a sloop and three on a brigantine for every side. ^^

• @xultanis-dragon sagte in Solo Playing Threats At Sea:

@mooopheus

The PvE' encounters are an annoyance but thats all. Just an annoyance. I've been tri-encountered a few times and you just have to understand the rules of the game.

Kraken will attack you and the skelly ship.

Skelly ship will attack you and the meg.

Meg will attack the Skelly ship and the Kraken and you.

You focus on the Kraken. DO not shoot the meg ever until you are free to do so.

Kraken takes 2 tentacles to kill, so if you are hitting every shot 16 cannon balls.

Meg takes 20 cannon balls to sink.

Skelly ship sinks depending on how good your shots are.

If you the shoot the Kraken tentacle before it wraps you, then you won't get wrapped.

The games AI isn't an AI. Its simple programing. If A does this, then enemy does B.

Should they tone it down? Probably. Honestly the PvE encounters have been really bothersome. Almost everytime I'm about to sneak up onto an enemy ship I get skelly shipped or something else. Its annoying as hell.

Should they change it because players are being sunk? No

Should they change the spawn rates because its annoying as hell? Maybe.

16 cannonshots? No tentacle on a sloop needs 8 cannonballs...5 hits and it's done, so 10, if all are hits

• @schwammlgott

I swear I've tested this many times and tentacles need 8 shots to kill period. I should just go Kraken hunting and make a video.

@schwammlgott

I swear I've tested this many times and tentacles need 8 shots to kill period. I should just go Kraken hunting and make a video.

On the sloop? It was a time, there were only 3 needed on a sloop...now it's 5, a long time already...
    On a galleon and a brig it needs more

• @odyssee-mit-tee said in Solo Playing Threats At Sea:

@omnipotence13 sagte in Solo Playing Threats At Sea:

Rare has said
    |
    Devils roar is hard mode

They did? This visually unappealing grey, PvE annoying festival of a freshly forming planet earth is intended to be this annoying?

The Roar is actually pretty cool. I like going there to get screenshots.

• @schwammlgott

Thats the thing, Ive never seen it ever, and I mean EVER need 3 shots. I've hunted that Kraken over and over and over. Everytime I hear someone say it takes 3 shots or 5 or talking about crit shots.

All and all I'll test it again and try to find any old videos of it. I know this because I never run from the Kraken. Usually always kill it

@schwammlgott

Thats the thing, Ive never seen it ever, and I mean EVER need 3 shots. I've hunted that Kraken over and over and over. Everytime I hear someone say it takes 3 shots or 5 or talking about crit shots.

All and all I'll test it again and try to find any old videos of it. I know this because I never run from the Kraken. Usually always kill it

I don't remember when it was 3 hits, maybe after the first nerf after the kraken attacked sloops as well, was pretty long just 3 shots...since a while now it's 5 shots, I can proof that...it only takes more shots if you hit a bugged one...there are sometimes tentacles a bit further away, you can hit them with 20 shots and nothing happens

• @mooopheus Shoot, whem you get multiple threats, that is when it gets exciting! Knowing that a wrong move means i lost my loot. That makes it much more fun.
    And on the note regarding the Kraken: Look in the sky. If there is not a Ship cloud or a Skull cloud (Not counting the FotD skull), then the Kraken will attack.
    If there is a ship or skull, then there is no kraken.
    I have joined many servers where i get attacked by kraken as i leave outpost, but that was always due to me not checking the skies.

• I'm seriously so (Please insert the British euphemism for being drunk). I missed the original iteration of the Roar.

It sounded fun. Now you just have to learn the tells. Geysers first, then earthquake, then smoke (run if you haven't already at this point...) Watch for embers if you're within 2 blocks of the eruption.

Views
23 out of 25