Ahoy thar! Started 2 days ago, and boy, what a trip :)

• Hey there!

I started 2 days ago and boy what an experience, within my first 5 minutes of waking up in the starting town I got blown up by a galleon. I left and created a new character, did maiden voyage and this time got boarded by 4 pirates who just said, "This is our ship now". They sailed away while I was still exploring my sloop, they then killed me and continued to kill me until I googled and found out about scuttling. So did that. I proceeded to adventure onwards and get mauled by the kraken, skeleton ships and the meg. I was on a downward spiral, to "Boy this is a brutal game for newbies" All I wanted was to find map, look for treasure and make some gold. I combed discord and found some fellow South Africans who play, and joined their galleon, I was promptly thrown into the arena, and learnt very quickly on the basics of pvp. Killing and being killed removed the fear of adventure mode death.

We managed to get a chest in arena mode after our galleon got blown up, via the rowboat, and was one of the most nail biting experiences we have had. Being tailed by 3 galleons on a rowboat is hectic.

Back in adventure land, we managed to defeat a skeleton fort boss, the loot was amazing, only for it to be destroyed by a skeleton ship and kraken battle at the same time.

This was my intro to sea of thieves, it has taught me three things.

1. Dont become attached to your loot
    2. You will die, a lot.
    3. You only get better when playing more. Skill is the name of the game.

PS: The graphics are great, sometimes when you aren't dying to everything in SoT, the scenery is awesome to look at.

Views
  • @oceanpotion6943 sounds like a rough start...

For the kraken...you see those skull/ship-clouds in the sky? So skellie fort and ship-raid...when there is no cloud up there, the kraken can spawn, when a fort or raid is active, the kraken WON'T SPAWN! So if you have plenty of loot and you see no cloud, just wait longer on the island you are, to be sure there won't be a kraken that attacks you

• @schwammlgott said in Ahoy thar! Started 2 days ago, and boy, what a trip :):

@oceanpotion6943 sounds like a rough start...

For the kraken...you see those skull/ship-clouds in the sky? So skellie fort and ship-raid...when there is no cloud up there, the kraken can spawn, when a fort or raid is active, the kraken WON'T SPAWN! So if you have plenty of loot and you see no cloud, just wait longer on the island you are, to be sure there won't be a kraken that attacks you

That makes sense! We got hit by the kraken/skellie combo shortly after leaving the fort once it was done, I dont think I remember seeing the clouds over the fort after we were done. Thanks for the info though!

Im currently just trying to muster up the courage to not run away from the Reaper clouds that follow me, and just take the fight to them instead. Im not a good pvp player, but would rather go down swinging!

• Haha! Welcome to the seas, matey!
    Sounds like you will fit in well here. :D

• Hi OceanPotion.
    I'm basically brand-new to the game (only completed a few voyages).
    I've just started a SOT clan for beginning players like me.
    If you have a headset and are mature and friendly, please consider joining!

• How refreshing to read a post from a novice pirate, that has encountered some of the worst that the Sea of Thieves can throw at them, and yet who loves the game already. It is so rare to hear from a newbie that is willing to learn and grow; and does not come here asking for the game to be changed, in all sorts of ways, to make it easier for them.

Welcome, shipmate!

• @oceanpotion6943

And that is exactly the attitude you need for this game.. You will suffer losses early on, but they become fewer and far between as you gain experience in the game..

It's a game after all and should be treated as such..

Enjoy your time on the seas and the beauty this game offers.

• @oceanpotion6943 sagte in Ahoy thar! Started 2 days ago, and boy, what a trip :):

did maiden voyage and this time got boarded by 4 pirates who just said, "This is our ship now".

Sorry to say, but because of this you sound like someone who tries to justify PvP for people who dislike PvP and tell them get gud in a creative way.

How can you get boarded in the maiden voyage is beyond me.
    Maybe a mistake?

• Welcome to the Adventure.

You will get killed often, and lose treasure. But the longer you play, the less this will happen. To the point that you (almost) never lose treasure.

Best 2 Noob Tips:

1. Watch the horizon, stay alert.

2. Learn to sail WITHOUT using your anchor. I use my anchor about once every game session, on average. Anchor turn or weathering out a storm.
      Anchor down = Dead.

Views
8 out of 9