Sea of Thieves Coming to Steam! Discussion and Feedback - Releasing June 3rd!

• Ahoy maties!

So by now, you might have seen the big news...

Sea of Thieves is finally coming to Steam!

Steam Store Link: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1172620/Sea_of_Thieves/

While we don't have a date to share just yet, we're thrilled to announce that Sea of Thieves is coming to Steam soon! You can wishlist it now so that you're ready to add it to your hoard as soon as possible!

And because I can only imagine the number of threads inbound, I have created this thread here to keep discussions in one place. Please keep the discussions here civil and to remember to stick to the Pirate Code and Code of Conduct.

Apologies if you have had the anchor dropped on your thread and redirected here - we are trying to keep the forum ship-shape and discussions happening in one central thread!

More details will be coming soon, but for now...

What do you think maties?

See you on the seas!

Views
  • Hehe I posted it first @Musicmee :p

Maybe I should apply to become your coworker :3

Will there be a way for owners of the game on W10 to get it on Steam ?

• WOW! That's crazy! I'm quite shocked, I never thought it would happen. And we're not even the first of april!!
    I guess that's a very good thing for playerbase population and for future updates.
    Cheers Rare, here's to this new era (are we in the golden age of piracy or is it still yet to come?).

• Will current players also be able to use the steam version?

• @goethe42 I had to hold off until it became official ;D Embargo'd n'all!

• That's a great idea on Microsoft's part.
    When ya make the game available in more places it means more people can play it!
    Win, win.

• Steam is currently breaking online user count records during this pandemic. 23M+ online!

I imagine this will boost player counts just a bit.

• I’m just a mere console player, but hell yeah to this!!

Screw exclusivities, release the krakens!

• How will it be when I bought full version on Microsoft Store and would like to have SoT also on Steam. Will there be possibility to get Steam version for free when I have bought Microsoft version? Like with Destiny 2 from Battlenet to Steam?

• Hey Devs,

Super quick, awesome the game is coming to Steam, I will be getting it there and continueing to support this awesome game and Developer but I have questions.

1. If we own on Microsoft, can we get a free redeem key or discount to purchase on Steam? (If none of them at all, then a price please)

2. If we purchase on Steam, can we use the same account on Microsoft store which I presume soo?

3. If no discount or key (Relating to question one) - Anyone who owns the game right now and makes a second purchase on Steam, do we get any extra rewards or unlocks etc?

4. Estimated release to Steam considering the game is stable!

Steam store shows "singleplayer" which may cause a horrible problem as players will load and killed by someone else, we know how it is so might want to get that removed unless PvE servers coming...

I am a huge Steam user and this game will explode more on there, so it's awesome news and I will want to buy it but if my account which I've grinded 2 years away on, haha comes too then awesome.

It would be awesome if we get a Steam key or something you know and maybe price or something if not...

I've been an alpha player since the first 100, tester on insider since start, met devs at Gamescom so this game will always have my support :)

The game will explode even more which I cannot wait because more consumers, more funds, more exciting addons to increase the game in the long run :D

I am even going to type up my Steam Review on the game right now so when it's released, I can put my review down :D

Thank you.

• Well I'll be damned! Great news, the more pirates, the merrier!

https://giphy.com/gifs/carnaval-carnival-dance-10hO3rDNqqg2Xe

• So I hope existing users can convert to steam?! Would like to have steam overlay in the game without the roundabout way.

• @zeltrax3000 said in Sea of Thieves Coming to Steam! Discussion and Feedback:

So I hope existing users can convert to steam?! Would like to have steam overlay in the game without the roundabout way.

Oh my yes please

• This is fantastic news, well done Microsoft

• Yet another big announcement that I saw, searched for, could not find, posted about, got locked, and then pointed in the right direction. 😑

You guys seriously need an official announcements subforum! 🙄

I'm happy for the news, but I'm a bit hesitant to accept it - usually, in my experience, this kind of thing usually occurs towards the end of a game's lifecycle or just before a sequel is announced.

Oh well, more fresh blood to be had upon the waves - at least the sharks will be happy too.

• @galactic-geek I wish I could post there :D

I do try to get the announcements out there but unfortunately don't have permission to post in that category.

Pinned this topic for now though :)

• @musicmee We need some information as soon as possible, fingers crossed on the answers for the questions I've asked :D

• @menphuess They are compiling an FAQ so your questions will be very useful!

Cheers matey!

• @musicmee - Awesome stuff!

It would sell like hot cakes or ice lollies at the British seaside right now :D

Corona Virus so self isolate + New game from Rare on Steam for people = PURCHASESSSSS

• Now it just needs to be released for Nintendo Switch and PS4.

• @musicmee will a free solution be proposed to go from "W10" to "steam"?

• Someone asked will your microsoft/xbox account be used in steam? Yes.
    The game acts this way now, if you sign out of xbox app(whatever iteration it is now.. console campanion? gamepass beta?) and launch the game, at the first screen it signs you back in.
    Launching from steam on other microsoft (and other companies) games it will prompt you for their system's user, not your steam user.

I don't think play anywhere will give a code for steam redemption imo. Keep it a reason not to shave 30% or whatever valve gets from steam sales.

But, hoping the xcloud gets done soon and Nintendo Switch users can finally join us. They already have xbox sign in on minecraft. Instead of repackaging the game for nintendo, xcloud makes more sense, if it is soon.......

• I had a question, how will the accounts work? Will we have to log into microsoft anyway?

• @targasbr Imagine touch screen sailing!

@Menphuess There is nothing I would love more than ice cream by the sea and fish and chips in hand :(

• @dyfrin @TargasBR

You will get prompted to sign in when you launch the game - you will enter your Gamertag/Microsoft account details like normal.

Requires 3rd-Party Account: Xbox Live (Supports Linking to Steam Account)

• @musicmee said in Sea of Thieves Coming to Steam! Discussion and Feedback:

@targasbr Imagine touch screen sailing!

I've tried that once before - it was an objectively unbiased disaster. Got to look at the pretty puffy clouds in the sky and the finely detailed grains of sand quite a lot though. 😅

• @musicmee said in Sea of Thieves Coming to Steam! Discussion and Feedback:

I admit that if it got to the Switch, along with the Gamepass, of course, I would switch platforms. It would be much more interesting for me, since nintendo games are better for kids, in this case, my daughter.

• @musicmee I can't see them making a separate build for different platforms... does this mean that Microsoft Store will have the login added as well? I also wonder how DLC will work (Ancient Coins, pet bundles, etc...)

Is it possible that they could be ditching the UWP framework :-o

• @galactic-geek said in Sea of Thieves Coming to Steam! Discussion and Feedback:

@musicmee said in Sea of Thieves Coming to Steam! Discussion and Feedback:

I've tried that once before - it was an objectively unbiased disaster.

Where? On cellphone?

• More players is always great.
    But Rare must now change crossplay settings so Xbox Players as standard only play vs Xbox players or else you will have just hammered the final nail into this on console.
    Sure, keep crossplay, but don't have the option to opt out hidden away so most know nothing of it.

• @targasbr said in Sea of Thieves Coming to Steam! Discussion and Feedback:

@galactic-geek said in Sea of Thieves Coming to Steam! Discussion and Feedback:

@musicmee said in Sea of Thieves Coming to Steam! Discussion and Feedback:

I've tried that once before - it was an objectively unbiased disaster.

Where? On cellphone?

Yes. I was testing the xCloud streaming service.

• @d3adst1ck Answered the log in question above, this is requiring some additional effort to bring to life to answer all your other questions...

Stay tuned for announcements :D

• @d3adst1ck

The game already does have the login check.
    Try signing out of xbox things, and when you launch SoT, a box pops up to ask you to sign into your xbox/microsoft account. It's been there since the start, when I was messing with a local user back in the day of a windows7-10 migration. Now a new machine just use the microsoft user instead and it's seamless.

Having steam deliver the game through it's installer doesn't change that functionality.

• @dyfrin I have done that before and all it did was dump me to desktop (the infamous grey screen crash). Event Viewer would say it was an authentication problem. There has never been a login box for me.

• @bloodybil its won't..it will require another purchase like state of decay 2.....im like 99.9 % sure so temper expectations

Views
1 out of 230