New to the game today and....

• Slightly regretting getting it. I spent the first hour just trying to purchase different clothes while someone kept killing me, so I went back and forth from the ferry of the damned.
    Then joined an open crew only to be called stupid and left out of the mission because the others on the crew wanted to do everything instead of letting me join in.

I turned off the game, and unsure whether I want to go back on there. I got it to help me get through isolation, but it just made me feel worse.

Views
  • Welcome aboard.

Bring a thick skin.
    Dont take anything seriously or personally. SoT can be an awesome experience, but it brings out the worse in human behavior.
    The opposite is possible as well, just not so frequent.

It comes down to chemistry and communication, so don't be afraid to leave at the first sign of dysfunction.

Keep at it, and have fun.

• @fearshewolf I only play solo or with family. My best advice would be to do the same. Can't really trust others

• @FearSheWolf

@Barnabas-Seadog nailed it.

You need thick skin an friends.
    Or even more thick skin and to be stubborn like hell to become a good solo pirate.
    The game will leave you in unfair situations and sometimes other pirates will make you a sad or angry person.

The gsme can be hilarious fun, but also very much frustrating.

Search for experienced sailors who play like you want and imagine to play. Then decide if it is for you or not.
    It seems also the experience in US is way more hostile and pvp Centers than in EU or other regions.

Time of the day and weekends also influence this very much.

Second any progression and make it about an adventure with unpredictable outcome.
    You will loose, sink, die, loose all your loot, but when you are succesfull you will apreciate it way more.

Many things to learn about the game, it needs time to become an experienced sailor.
    And it will also take time to deal with aggressive pirates, at least to accept that you can't always be the winner.

If you focus on the adventure and second progression, second in to win you can overcome the losses better.

• I hear you. I just started this week as well, due to isolation measures. My experience wasn't quite so bad the first couple sessions - I was lucky and had the place to myself. However, this weekend, I learned that this was not the status quo. Sooooo unimpressed with being continually attacked and killed by the same 10 year old monster taunting "oh, did you die?", eminating sickeningly from my living room tv. What a turn off. What a monster. I seriously question the state of humanity.

Would really love it if new players had more time to actually get the hang of things - like walking, for example, before being thrown in to fighting for your life. I can't even aim my gun properly yet, and have barely figured out how to successfully sail to an island and back. So mad. So betrayed. This is why players shot on site. I have had that experience this weekend as well. Kill them before they kill you.

• Y'all shoula been here when the game released, THAT was an insane time to be a Pirate

• @fearshewolf please don't give up. This is such an amazing experience. Find people to sail with on the community discord or here on the forums.

This thread honestly makes me very sad 😢. My first gameplay session I got sank and mocked within 15 minutes, but I decided to try again with my alertness on overdrive. I found that the tension of always looking out for other players really adds to the atmosphere of the game.

Please don't give up guys and girls that are new. I only started playing SoT in January and I have taken the time to learn the in's and outs of the game and it has been extremely rewarding. If you need some tips or pointers, send me a message! 😁

Hope to see you on the Sea 😊

• Im happy to help around if you need crew feel free to add me

• I'm sorry you had that happen to you :(. I'm available to sail most of the time if you need a crew-mate. You can also use the official Sea of Thieves Discord linked here: discord.gg/seaofthieves . Stay away from Open Crew, it's a nightmare!

• Honestly ive never heard of an open crew leaving their crewmate out and calling them stupid

• IMO i think you should give the game a chance

• @maggiemaehem118 im sorry that you had a bad experience with other pirates sinking and killing you. But i saw that you said that there should be morr time to ge the gang of things, but the only Real way to me, to get the hang of things is to go through them. So what im saying is if you dont get in those situations where you have to fight for you life then you will never learn to fight and shoot a gun and protect the loot that you have

• @maggiemaehem118 lol sorry but by the time you become a pirate legend you will be a SEASONED VETERAN AT TRASH TALKING lol because that basically all people do

• @fearshewolf maiden voyage can help as well as youtube tips

• @maggiemaehem118 maiden voyage they made it for new players and also don't take online insults to heart it happens in every game

1. Do the Maiden Voyage to learn some basics.

2. Switch servers if you find yourself with unpleasant players.

3. Immediately tell your crew that you are NEW and still learning the game. Ask them what they want you to do.

4. Use "voice" as it humanises you and speeds up communication.

5. Accept that there will always be some "bad apples" in online games.

Most players are perfectly fine with helping and teaching new players "the ropes". Just follow the instructions of the more experienced players and you will pick up tips and tricks really quickly. SoT is not hard to learn and you will be feeling like an Old Salt in no time.

Happy Sailing!

Master Tip- Never, ever, ever drop the Anchor unless you are 100% sure that that is the right thing to do. 100% sure doesn't mean Maybe!!!

• @fearshewolf You are welcome to friend me and toss me an invite if you wanna give it another shot. I'll take you around some Tall Tales

• @maggiemaehem118 Same offer to you. Toss me an invite if you wanna give it another shot and I'll sail around with you

• Only been playing a few days but here's what I've learned so far being a solo player who is just starting...

Avoid all combat if possible.
    Use your spyglass A LOT!
    Don't drop anchor if you don't need to. Raise sails early and glide to a stop so you can make a quick getaway.
    Recover 2-3 bits of loot then cash it in. Everything takes longer as a solo player including selling what you have.
    If there's a ship where you want to go then go elsewhere, especially at outposts.

There's definitely a steep learning curve with SoT, but I love the feeling of the game and not everyone is out to just kill you. 2 random guys helped bring my loot to shore then we had a song and dance and parted ways 😂

Hope you stick with it.

• @fearshewolf I was new to the game yesterday, thought I was doing okay, but kept getting my treasure stolen and ship burnt to a crisp! I think I spent more time on the ferry of the damned than my own ship!
    I could do with a friendly crew mate as new as me for some friendly exploration, if you’d like? Also happy for more experienced friendly crew too... this seems such a great game.
    Thanks.

• Dont give up on game!!!! Its rough but when you get a grasp of it, you will conquer the sea!

• @fearshewolf
    Hello Miss or Mrs , yes , that's indeed a sad introduction towards this Great game...Some years ago you had a Mr Chapman , who pressed on many of our Hearts ,that this game is supposed and developed in a way to have fun...Alas , the Man himself is a developer and can't be all the time chaparoning the Seas…

A lot of the ones who came here before the game was even in public Alpha phase have learned that you need to give a New Pirate a chance or a bit of guidance…

Over the years ,many millions of Pirates have come to the Sea , Many of them have grown into other Multiplayer games where the "kill or be killed ,in a split second" mentality have grown into every new multiplayer franchise they come across…

That may sound sad , and to a point no reversable but i don't believe this , we have met a lot of crews who shot first and asked questions later , My Great Friend , Mr Ja4dio , who can dodge bullets like an overaged Bruce Lee , has had mulitple successes in talking their arms down...Many Alliances ,where we both got profit from eachothers efforts has resulted into Friendly and fun adventures…

Take also in accoun that this game is 2 year releashed and had known a year and a half into Alpha phase , which means that a whole lot of Pirates have become very experienced and tricky...
    Alliances , can also be betrayed so don't hold it against a Pirate , after all we are Pirates and some ,if not many of us , are still after gold and Glory…

But...It isn't all poison and blackness at the Seas , try to use Looking for group where you explain what kind of players you would like to take aboard in order to guide you through the game...Oh, don't get startled , i'm not talking about a schoolalike course ,where you feel yer eyelids become heavier by the minute, no i'm talking about playing and learning style…

Also , since you are new and this is not an offense ,nor an insult , you will learn by failing and getting up again...But don't sail out alone ,in the start...Solo slooping ,means you do everything by yerself ,including holding an eye to the Horizon at all times ,which ,i admit ,isn't always easy or possible by all the things that happen in the world…

And i do want to press another thing on yer Heart , if you come across an open or Looking for Group crew ,who ridiculize you , then just leave and restart yer journey...That kind of Pirates are not worhty of 1 minute of yer presence...They are the dumb ones.

Lastly , this ...i have no knowledge into bringing motivation and Passion towards the game over to you ,as this English language is not my own language , i just hope you soon have an evening in which you meet understanding , and helping Pirates who lift your Adventure up to heights that you never experienced before in any game...

Once you have met that special feeling in this game , and the Game has , figurally , spoken to you , then you will realize that this is a very great Game … A Game that sadly can be destroyed by the mentality of some but keep searching for that crew that has a Golden Heart for others on board …

There are many of those kind...
    All i can ask now is, please set aside your dissapointment and try anew , maybe launch a topic to find a great crew to play with who will or want to help you get acqainted with this game, as this game may look beautifl but arcady at the start ,but by The Sea Gods , the feelings of Joy , Laughter ,Adventure and pure Adrenaline will always exceed the dissapointments i do get like anyone else…

This game uses a persons personality and some aren't that ready to see that this game is to bring fun to others ,even in fights , they just take it all too serious and therefore deny many others to have or find the Fun that is still here to be found...

i will no longer nag around your and other Pirates ears , i just hope that my and other Pirates' words , and we do mean it well, may motivate you to have a try again in this Game...

i wish you Good Winds , Fortune and many Adventures where your mouth may hurt from laughter…
    Take care.

• @eden-silverweb1 I have a bit of experience (though im still newish to the game) if you wanna hit me up and sail away just chilling and learning the ropes.

• @eden-silverweb1 I’m brand new as well, only solo’d on a Sloop a bit. Feel free to add me if you’d like. I’d be happy to learn the ropes with some people that are a bit greener too.

• Took me a week to buy me first pair a boots back in me day. Quit yer blubberin.

• both solo and open crew are pretty miserable ways to learn the ropes in SoT.
    like somebody above suggested, join the official SoT discord. the players tend to be higher quality and less toxic to their crewmates. there is even a channel there specifically geared toward new ppl looking for experienced crews.

• life on the seas can be rough. i'm really excited to see so many new players though. anyone who wants to can add me. i sail most nites around 8pm-11pm est and a lot on tuesday and weekends the days im off work.

• I could help u but I wouldn't be able to voice communicate.

I've killed a few mega and I'll be happy to help

• @stoic-sprinter great, thank you.

• @fearshewolf hello there! I am so sorry this happened to you. That introduction to this game was awful. I am still new to the game but I know the ropes pretty well. (Or I'd like to think at least, lol) please, feel free to add me, MarsNyxFire, and we'll work together. I'm actually looking for a crew to complete all the emissary stuffs with. You'd be a happy addition. 😊 Also, please don't give up on the game, its so beautiful and it's helped me alot. Take care 😊

• Sucky start... but not representative of the game 100% of the time.

Start small, maybe just do a few island hops and cash in. I'm teaching someone the basics at the moment and we're just having fun and trying to stay out of trouble.

Remember you can always bounce until you either get better at running or fighting lol

Either way, definitely worth sticking at 👍

UK based Xbox Only PL looking for new shipmates for chill sails and rep grinding.

• Hi FearSheWolf.
    I'm basically brand-new to the game (only completed a few voyages).
    I've just started a SOT clan for beginning players like me.
    If you have a headset and are mature and friendly, please consider joining!

• That sounds like bad luck. Don't get me wrong. The player base in SoT is pretty dickish. But there is a decent enough sized group of players that can make this game really fun to play.

• Keep your head up! There are aggressive players out on the SOT but don't give up. There is also a lot of Great and fantastic people to game with in this game. It also helps out in game if you just talk and let them know your New or just type "Hey I'm new". When I first started I was getting dumpstered and I told them I was new and they gave me many tips to survive the seas. I hope it gets better!

Views
5 out of 34