Pro Tips to catch a sloop in a sloop?

• As much as i love the sloop.
    Chasing another sloop to me can be very painful.

It seems like a never ending chase.
    Im looking for tips from primarily sloopers and what you do to catch fleeing ships.

Is it a matter of sneaking up to them? Or is there a way you know how to catch them?
    Do you try and take shortcuts through the rocks?
    Chase them to the end of the map?
    Id love some advice,

I know the sail angles and the quickest way to move the sloop even against the wind.
    But how do you catch them?

I kinda feel like in a sloop im like a lioness chasing a zebra, where if im spotted before i get close enough its game over, I suspect im just not chasing the best way the ship can though.

This was the reason i moved to a Solo Brigantine.
    Because i can fly towards my fleeing sloop and even against the wind, i just wait til the wind changes and then im straight back on them within minutes.

But ive started to fall in love with the sloop again and fell in love with its simplicity.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Views
  • @daringclarky said in Pro Tips to catch a sloop in a sloop?:

As much as i love the sloop.
    Chasing another sloop to me can be very painful.

It seems like a never ending chase.
    Im looking for tips from primarily sloopers and what you do to catch fleeing ships.

Is it a matter of sneaking up to them? Or is there a way you know how to catch them?
    Do you try and take shortcuts through the rocks?
    Chase them to the end of the map?
    Id love some advice,

I know the sail angles and the quickest way to move the sloop even against the wind.
    But how do you catch them?

I kinda feel like in a sloop im like a lioness chasing a zebra, where if im spotted before i get close enough its game over, I suspect im just not chasing the best way the ship can though.

This was the reason i moved to a Solo Brigantine.
    Because i can fly towards my fleeing sloop and even against the wind, i just wait til the wind changes and then im straight back on them within minutes.

But ive started to fall in love with the sloop again and fell in love with its simplicity.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

sailing basics put the sailing into the wind or have them ploof up so you have wind

• I always try to get as close to islands when giving chase as the water is always calmer and you can gain some distance, avoid shortcuts through rocks for the opposite reason, there is often a big swell and it will slow a sloop down drastically.

• @needsmokes I never knew that shallow water and deep water had an effect on the speed. Thats incredibly useful thank you.

Now that you mention it, a lot of sloops ive chased have hugged the islands and ive held back!

Thats really useful, thanks matey 😀😀

@needsmokes I never knew that shallow water and deep water had an effect on the speed. Thats incredibly useful thank you.

Now that you mention it, a lot of sloops ive chased have hugged the islands and ive held back!

Thats really useful, thanks matey 😀😀

yeah I've done that i'll post about it now

• @needsmokes said in Pro Tips to catch a sloop in a sloop?:

I always try to get as close to islands when giving chase as the water is always calmer and you can gain some distance, avoid shortcuts through rocks for the opposite reason, there is often a big swell and it will slow a sloop down drastically.

Thanks! New to me too - I knew about the calm near islands, but I never thought that it would make a difference in speed.

• @daringclarky as long as the wind comes from the front, also side-front, means the sails doesn't really catch the wind, keep them centered

• @schwammlgott So if im sailing into the wind and i have the sails horizontal so its totally centred thats the fastest way to go into the wind. I knew this part however....

If the wind is coming in at an angle but not far enough i can catch the wind, would it be better to angle the sail so its dead centre towards the incoming wind? So like, angle it as if i was sailing right into it, have it dead centre, would that be better than angling it and not catching it?

If that makes sense, sorry to confuse you.

@schwammlgott So if im sailing into the wind and i have the sails horizontal so its totally centred thats the fastest way to go into the wind. I knew this part however....

If the wind is coming in at an angle but not far enough i can catch the wind, would it be better to angle the sail so its dead centre towards the incoming wind? So like, angle it as if i was sailing right into it, have it dead centre, would that be better than angling it and not catching it?

To go as fast as possible in a sloop, the sail should be in the starting position/angle unless you can actually catch the wind and make the sail billow.

• @little-squash sagte in Pro Tips to catch a sloop in a sloop?:

@daringclarky said in Pro Tips to catch a sloop in a sloop?:

@schwammlgott So if im sailing into the wind and i have the sails horizontal so its totally centred thats the fastest way to go into the wind. I knew this part however....

To go as fast as possible in a sloop, the sail should be in the starting position/angle unless you can actually catch the wind and make the sail billow.

@DaringClarky ☝️this
    Yes, it was a bit confusing, as english isn't my native language, I had to read it twice, slowly, but this guy already cleared it up...

Views
1 out of 10