Arena really needs some work

• Just like to start with, this is not a 'rage post' because I've lost 1 Arena game, this a post I've been meaning to write for a while, after 150 games played and 128 wins in the past 2 weeks. This post is basically underlining the fact that Arena, although one of my favourites, is currently the most frustrating game mode I have ever played and is in a dismal state IMO.

One of the reasons as to why the game mode is in a bad state is the constant high ping rates. Now I play in the UK on an Xbox One S with 100mbps wireless internet connection, make of that what you will but this has made for smooth gaming experience on most other multiplayer games I've played. Same goes for adventure mode, the vast majority of my games are absolutely fine and play smoothly. Arena on the other hand seems to be a complete mess in every game on both sloop and gally, extremely high ping rates most games making simple things such as reloading the cannon a nightmare. It makes PvP gameplay extremely choppy with myself and other players rubber-banding constantly.

Another thing is hit registration, a problem that has improved in recent updates, but still needs work. I'd say at least once a game I see cases where bullets don't register, whether it's myself firing for no damage or an enemy hitting myself or my crew mate to no damage. Work still needs to be put in to eradicating this issue, as it's probably the most frustrating problem of the game in general as it plagues both Adventure and Arena.

For me Arena has the potential to be such a fun game mode, but it's being held back by constant server issues making it such a frustrating experience. I'd love to be able to say I'll continue to play this game mode for months to come because it really is a great experience when it runs smoothly, but as it stands, as soon as I've completed my 240 wins, I'm out and back to adventure.

Views
    feedback
  • @maciver01 I think this mirrors a lot of players experience, possibly because the match making pool is quite wide (geographically), and therefore everyone's connection can have a negative effect on everyone else.

I did notice you mentioned being connected wireless. The issue here is that you're effectively halving your throughput between you and your router (easily worse if you have other devices connected via wifi). You really should consider trying a wired connection, I think you might be surprised how it will positively effect your experience.

• @maciver01

Are you the leader of the group or are you hitting open crew join sessions or are you joining someone elses game.

Also wireless is always idiotic to do. If you are close enough to do wired then do wired, but if you are doing wireless then the game might be having too much going on during Arena for your wireless connection to keep up with.

• Done every comendation in arena n it needs a major over haul it's so boring the lag is unreal takes ages to find xbox servers and you can be waiting for a game to start for like 40mins I hate arena because it lacks so much potential but like everything in the game including adventure it's the same thing under a different title and it's becoming old

Views
feedback
1 out of 4