Text chatting on Xbox with your phone through Xbox app

• This is something it seems a lot of people want yet didn't know existed. Thanks to @Ruigtand-NL for making a forum post that led to this and @SpiralOut46and2 for sharing the knowledge of this. You can type chat using your phone through the Xbox app to your console. First thing to do is spawn into the game. Push the View button on your controller. This is the small button on the left with two overlapping squares on it under the big Xbox button. This brings up your Game Options menu in game. Scroll down and select Settings. Scroll down and select Controller. Scroll down and select Text Chat. Chose a button on your controller to keybind this too. I chose clicking the right stick as it has no other function in the game. (Note: If you chose any other button it will unbind any other function associated with that button.) Back out of the menus on your game and keep your console on. Next open your Xbox app on your phone. Select the 3 lines in the top left hand corner of the screen on your app. Scroll down to where it says console. Select it and it should show a button to select and connect your app to your console. It will autocheck if you want to connect automatically which I left selected so I don't have to connect it everytime I want to play. Once you have done this all you need to do is have your app open on your phone. It has to be lit up on your screen. It won't work if your phone blackscreens into sleep mode. So if you are approaching a ship or want to use it make sure your phone isn't in sleep mode and the app is onscreen. It's a simple button press and swipe, so you can do it in a instant. Next press the button you keybound to Text Chat. As I stated before in my case it is clicking the right stick. When you do this it will automatically bring up the qwerty keyboard on your Xbox app. Type what you want, hit enter and it shows up on your in game text chat. As this has already helped many long time Pirate Legends I know may it help all who reads this as well!!!

Views
  • And then i try to play with discord group im all set up with headset and i can text chat yaaay..

Then they chat in discord 😖
    Voice over my mobile thats terrible oh noo.. what good is that 😕

Need my mob for other things so i cant communicate like that 🤦‍♂️

Plus i need game chat so i can talk ingame with everyone? Sometimes party to talk with me crew only but i prefer game chat to be able to communicate with other crews.

Communication can be a nightmare sometimes.. drunk guys on partychat, peoples endless smalltalk, more talking then playing, burping etc..

Often i end up muting players and parties, leaving the chat and just using text chat so im really happy with this option 🤭

• @Venomous-Sloth7

Yay! Thanks so much for making this! 👏🥳🌊🌴🏴☠💎 I hope it helps more players on the console to know they have more options for communication in Sea of Thieves than just using the chat wheel lol. 😊👍

For anyone who has never tried this, it's much faster and easier to use your phone to text and send it directly into the game chat in Sea of Thieves. It basically just makes it much easier to write something, as you have a virtual keyboard thanks to your phone, since the vast majority of console players only have a controller at their disposal rather than a physical keyboard. 🌊😊📱

As fast as you can text on your phone is how fast your messages can be sent in text chat to other pirates in Sea of Thieves. This can help so much if you can communicate quickly in situations, and with open text chat, rather than just the chat wheel options of, "Ahoy!" and "Aye" lol. 😅👍

Also, there is an option to keep the Xbox app open until you close it out (pressing your Home button on your phone) so you don't have to worry about it timing out and going to a black screen, if you'd like to set it that way. 😊🌴🌊I have mine set this way, so once I open the app it stays open and ready to type on, in case I'm having conversations and using the text chat at the time. 😅📱👏 In the app, if you press the 3 lines in the upper left to bring up the side menu, and go down to Settings, under General you will see "Stay Awake" with the three options there. I have mine on "Always" but you can change it to whatever works for you. 🤝🍍🐟

Thanks so much Matey @Venomous-Sloth7 , I hope this might help others on Xbox that have been playing and only using the text wheel in the game, like I was for over a year lol. 😅👍🥳🌊🌴🏴

@Ruigtand-NL

I use this all the time too now, so I'm really happy you can do this in case you get the bad experiences with your crew in party chat lol. 😬🤭 Thank you so much for your other post which 'accidentally' brought this up! I really thought everyone else was doing this and I was the last one to realize it lol. I used the Xbox app to type on Xbox all the time, but never thought about using it for Sea of Thieves chat until earlier this year.😇👏😄 Well, I never knew we had the option for the text chat either though, so this has greatly improved the game for me since finding out lol. 🙌🥳📱👍💎☕

• Have you run into this not working lately? It worked for me for a couple of months and now I cannot get the qwerty keyboard to pop up on my phone anymore? I have to manually select each letter...

• As this thread was 5 months old, and revived today, it will now be locked. Please feel free to start a new discussion on this topic!

A general reminder to all, please avoid reviving threads aged past 30 days, as it is considered a necro, and is against our forum rules

Bumping Threads
    Bumping threads with content that is not providing additional information to the original post is not permitted. Resurrecting very old threads is also not permitted. A warning will be issued and the thread locked. Ignoring the warning will result in a temporary ban from the Forums and a final warning. If the action continues, a permanent ban from the Forums will be issued.

Views
1 out of 5