More Piracy Incentives!

• I feel there needs to be more piracy related commendations for adventure mode. Give players more reason to make attempts to steal items. I know a few of the mercenary voyages have theft commendations, but there needs to be more.

Maybe add theft commendations that are vendor specific:
    Gold Hoarder Privateer: Grades I-V
    Order of Souls Privateer: Grades I-V
    Merchant Alliance Privateer: Grades I-V
    Hunters Call Privateer: Grades I-V
    Athena's Fortune Privateer: Grades I-V

Maybe add special daily voyages that require the reapers mark. Make the reward good, but risky.

As far as how much should be stolen via value in gold I'm not sure, but as a whole its an idea.

Yes obviously there will also be necessary activities to encourage people to actually collect items. With this obviously we need more gold sinks via cosmetics, or other things...

Ideas:
    *Ship trade ins
    -Allow players to maintain their place in a server and use the shipwright to scuttle their current ship in favor of spawning a different ship class, up or down. Make the cost significant in gold.

*Buy storage crates
    -Allow players the option to buy a storage crate from a vendor at an outpost. Have this crate come loaded with 40 cannonballs, 15 planks, and 16 bananas. Have the cost be high, but reasonable. I feel this would help to not only make a player feel that their gold has more value and reduce the labor needed to collect items from barrels at islands. A storage crate is very handy when taking the stock off an island.

Views
    generalcompetition
  • Yeah let's create even more situations so your PC buddies can grief us EVEN MORE than they do now Rare!!!

do whatever you want AFTER that opt out is in place and actually WORKING.

• @wickeddeath
    I'm xbox, your argument just died.

• @xxcaptmichaelxx

Buying ship size changes or resources is linear progression, which Rare doesn't want. We'll probably see ship size changes in the game at some point, but they won't cost gold. As for resources, go find some shipwrecks, strongholds, rowboats, Barrels of Plenty, outposts, or even player ships and get some. They're not hard to get, buying them isn't needed due to its already heavily discussed side effects.

I agree that stealing the treasure needs to be in commendations, as Athena's Fortune already does. Perhaps the Bilge Rat Adventures and Mercenary Voyages could also go back to their roots, with the Bilge Rats orchestrating events between pirates once the nonsense with these skeleton lords dies down, like they did with the Skeleton Thrones, the gunpowder skeletons (supposedly they created these by burying kegs near skeletons), or the Cursed Crews event.

• @ultmateragnarok said in More Piracy Incentives!:

@xxcaptmichaelxx

Buying ship size changes or resources is linear progression, which Rare doesn't want. We'll probably see ship size changes in the game at some point, but they won't cost gold. As for resources, go find some shipwrecks, strongholds, rowboats, Barrels of Plenty, outposts, or even player ships and get some. They're not hard to get, buying them isn't needed due to its already heavily discussed side effects.

Well I know resources are easy enough to collect, and finding a storage crate on an island is reasonably likely, yet I feel the process for collecting stock needs to be jumpstarted a bit. Why not use gold to purchase stock?

Barring that why not just allow a player to purchase an empty storage crate? One crate per session for sure, otherwise someone will buy tones in an attempt to crash a server. It'd make initial resource gathering way faster and less laborious.

I don't understand the issue with shifting a ship type mid session though.

I agree that stealing the treasure needs to be in commendations, as Athena's Fortune already does. Perhaps the Bilge Rat Adventures and Mercenary Voyages could also go back to their roots, with the Bilge Rats orchestrating events between pirates once the nonsense with these skeleton lords dies down, like they did with the Skeleton Thrones, the gunpowder skeletons (supposedly they created these by burying kegs near skeletons), or the Cursed Crews event.

Yeah I feel they need a whole new page of commendations dedicated to theft.

• @xxcaptmichaelxx

From what others have said, it seems the game can't easily change crew size anyways, but it's not the kind of feature you should need to play for some time to get. Any player can simply leave and rejoin with a larger ship why lock skipping the loading screens away from newer players who don't have the spare gold to spend on it?

For collecting resources, it's partially about progression advantages, and also about how it would affect gameplay. Doing contested events, such as the FotD or some of the newer ashen fleets/strongholds, would become nearly impossible because crews can buy resources and come back with a full ship, whether they just sank, were hopping servers, or simply neglected to prepare. Those at the event now have to fend off well-stocked ships constantly, rather than barely stocked ships and stocked ships which lose their resources if they sink in battle.

• @ultmateragnarok said in More Piracy Incentives!:

@xxcaptmichaelxx

From what others have said, it seems the game can't easily change crew size anyways, but it's not the kind of feature you should need to play for some time to get. Any player can simply leave and rejoin with a larger ship why lock skipping the loading screens away from newer players who don't have the spare gold to spend on it?

Well in my experiences I've had many alliance situations in which people need to eventually quit, or don't have enough spots on a ship for other friends to play. This leaves us in need of either more people to handle large ships, or with ships too small to accommodate new players from joining. Being able to switch the ship type would alleviate both issues at the same time.

Whether or not it should cost gold could still be up for debate, but I know for sure that a lot of people would pay in order to preserve their stock when switching while maintaining the current server and alliance. For the ease of the developers the current ship could simply be scuttled and a new ship type should be accessible via mermaid. The stock can easily be stored in a crate and later transferred to the new ship.

For collecting resources, it's partially about progression advantages, and also about how it would affect gameplay. Doing contested events, such as the FotD or some of the newer ashen fleets/strongholds, would become nearly impossible because crews can buy resources and come back with a full ship, whether they just sank, were hopping servers, or simply neglected to prepare. Those at the event now have to fend off well-stocked ships constantly, rather than barely stocked ships and stocked ships which lose their resources if they sink in battle.

Well you're right, just trying to come up with ideas for gold. The black market works ok, but there needs to be something more.

Views
generalcompetition
6 out of 7