I just played SoT on my phone!

• ...using Project X-Cloud and OMG!

It's bloody awful! 😑

The graphics were pixelated, jittery, delayed, and when I would try to walk forward, I would end up looking, well, up at the sky (or down at the earth). For what it's worth, the game looks oh so gorgeous if you stand perfectly still - a pirate statue, if you will.

...and yes, I know it's still in development. 🙄

Well, to be completely fair, it's probably my fault - apparently my phone only gets 2.4 out of the 5Ghz required to make it work effectively, so of course there's that... 😅

So, mobile pirates, what are your thoughts on the streaming seas? 🤔

Views
  • Probably need 5ghz for the bitrate requirement

• My phone probably can't handle it. I also don't have a compatible controller (or do I?) I'll have to look into it more, but was interested in what I saw. Mobile carriers will hate it lol.

• @galactic-geek what is it called? Can I download it via app store? I wanna try it out to give my share of thoughts too. :)

• @pithyrumble said in I just played SoT on my phone!:

My phone probably can't handle it. I also don't have a compatible controller (or do I?) I'll have to look into it more, but was interested in what I saw. Mobile carriers will hate it lol.

For me, the controller was the best part. I didn't even realize my controller had Bluetooth, and was amazed at how easy it was to sync to my phone.

• So the regular xbox 1 controller works? Maybe more interested now.

• @galactic-geek You need to be on 5Ghz with minimum 10mb download. Also yes the it's basically still Alpha/Beta. Give it time you can be sure no game dev wants to have a "finished" product that literally doesn't function as intended(excluding Fallout 76 maybe).

• @galactic-geek

That about sums up what I'd expect of mobile SoT: looks amazing, performs... less so, gameplay and controls are 'interesting' as a result. Hopefully it can be improved to a point of comparable functionality to the other platforms of the game.

• @galactic-geek yea I didnt know the controller had that till my buddy mentioned it a few months back and I tried playing different games and stuff on my phone. Most games though wont sync with all the buttons the controller uses to perform actions, but I'm super curious about this mobile sea of thieves thing you're talking about.

• @xIx-ZeNo-xIx It's a part of Microsoft's streaming initiative called Project XCloud. You have to sign up for it, and be accepted to test it out. Otherwise, you'll be waiting until it fully releases to the public. I'm talking about it, because I'm not under an NDA as far as I know, and SoT is just 1 of numerous other games you can try with it. Also, it was flaunted at XO19 today, so...

• @galactic-geek I used it on my Samsung Tab S4 and had a decent experience. I also tested it on 5.0 and 2.4 wifi and there is a HUGE difference. The tablet screen was also more comfortable than my cell phone (Samsung s9). Menus were the number 1 issue on such a small screen. Sure I already know what they are due to SoT being my main game, but for anyone else it could prove a challenge.

I did notice a tiny bit of input lag.

I also did a small test with Gears 5 and let my buddy who plays that test it. It was stable enough he could compete. There was a little input lag, however since we were playing on a Microsoft server his ping was 2-5, which is insane.

All together, I think Project xCloud is shaping up to be a way to enjoy more individual games like RPGs, RTS, or puzzle games. I think competitive online play will be a challenge due to input lag.

• I could do some mobile sot mini games..
    Fishing
    Duel practise
    Shooting range

But i dont think it would improve to do the whole game mobile.. seen the introduction of app gamers with other games and you get all these half players afk, not serious, unable to compete..

• @galactic-geek is it too late to sign up?

• Yah before Crossplay you could play any and all your Xbox games through a PC. It sucked.

I got the fastest internet, most expensive routers. All that jazz. It was playable but just barely.

• @xix-zeno-xix said in I just played SoT on my phone!:

@galactic-geek is it too late to sign up?

Honestly, I don't know.

• @glannigan I remember that. I had such a interesting setup back then - I had my Xbox hooked up to my TV, and my local TV channels via antenna hooked up to the Xbox, as well as my PC (or something like that), so I could watch TV through my PC by streaming my Xbox back onto itself, which was the weirdest thing.

• @galactic-geek said in I just played SoT on my phone!:

@glannigan I remember that. I had such a interesting setup back then - I had my Xbox hooked up to my TV, and my local TV channels via antenna hooked up to the Xbox, as well as my PC (or something like that), so I could watch TV through my PC by streaming my Xbox back onto itself, which was the weirdest thing.

Lol I think you and me are like two peas from the same Pod Geek!

• @galactic-geek

I have been using Xcloud for a month or so now, and it works really well. But as you are aware, you need required specs for it to work well.
    Was so happy to see many more games announced for Xcloud and EA titles coming too.
    One thing is for sure.. With myself and both my sons signed up to Xcloud, my Mrs is going to be raging mad at the length of time we are all spending on the toilet!

• @needsmokes 🚽⏰💩🎮📱🏆

• @galactic-geek some kid told me his friend couldnt talk cause he was playing on a phone haha. i had no idea what he was talkin about so i killed them and moved on.

thanks tho, i get it now.

• I signed up last month but haven't received any response. They probably need to limit it because of available bandwidth and resources for this test phase.

Both xCloud and Stadia are going to be hit or miss for the general public because of wildly differing connections that are possible.

• I tried both Sea of Thieves and Gears of War 5 with the xCloud Streaming.

I used a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 on a 5Ghz band WiFi.

SoT looked really nice, and played smoothly aside from a few lag spikes which we experience on Xbox/PC. The only thing that drove me nuts was the horrendous input delay! It was near half a second between my controller input and the action happening in the game. The regular game has some minor input delay with the controller, but this was excessive and I couldn't bring myself to play it much.

Gears 5 looked beautiful and the campaing ran very well. I was quite surprised given the experience with SoT, as I had expected similar issues. I imagine SoT is worse due to the input traveling to xCloud, then to the SoT servers where Gears 5 was straight to xCloud.

In the end it is pretty cool being able to play from my phone. Hope to try streaming from my Xbox at some point to compare the two.

• @galactic-geek said in I just played SoT on my phone!:

@xix-zeno-xix said in I just played SoT on my phone!:

@galactic-geek is it too late to sign up?

Honestly, I don't know.

Looks like the registration page is still up, not sure about the selection process or timeline though. Worth a try if you are interested.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-streaming/project-xcloud/register

• @archangel-timmy thank you bro for the link, I Hope's I gets selected. :)

• @xix-zeno-xix said in I just played SoT on my phone!:

@archangel-timmy thank you bro for the link, I Hope's I gets selected. :)

Good luck! Let me know how it goes if you get in! 😁

• DEAR LORD NOOOOOOO!!!!!! I already waste too much time at work, and that's just on these forums... I forsee myself constantly telling my boss "Hold up! I just have to deliver this Athenas chest, then I'll get back to work"...

• @galactic-geek a dit dans I just played SoT on my phone! :

...using Project X-Cloud and OMG!

It's bloody awful! 😑

You made me laugh and you know what? It's amazing and feels good! Thank you me matey!

Views
1 out of 27