Revamping water combat: Reduce bullet distance under water and add a portable harpoon gun

• This would be a pretty huge change for the game, considering how many firefights end up taking place in the water, but it would go a long way in terms of balancing the current weapons under water and adding something new/fun to the game. Also, obviously, real flintlocks don't work under water at all.

This is kind of the fun compromise. If you were to greatly reduce the effective range of bullets under water, you would eliminate the obvious supremacy of sniper/pistol under water(you can shoot people from miles away, they can't move and they have no cover). It would force underwater combat to happen close range.

Adding a portable harpoon gun as an actual weapon would serve two purposes: one, give players a mid-range option for under water combat. two, give players a tool to defend from deep swimmers with kegs. There's two variations I can see with this: Either roped or ropeless.

Ropeless would just serve as a long distance gun, that specifically excels under water. It would still be useable on land but would basically just be a flintlock with a slightly longer reload time.

Roped would allow you to pull people to you or pull yourself to them. This could be used under water to pull enemies close for combat or prevent enemies from escaping. Or, if they have a keg, just stealing right out of their hands.

Views
  • @hereticexiled I’m still trying to figure out how we can swim with 10 cannon balls regular and 5 cursed in our pockets with the weapons and equipment and our instruments and not drown.

• I'd be all for reduced distance underwater, would be more realistic (i know bla bla bla this is a fantasy game bla bla bla cannon balls bla bla bla) and change underwater combat a lot more. Perhaps make bullets go 5-10 meters so you could still explode a keg underwater but have to be within a close distance

alt text

• @hereticexiled said in Revamping water combat: Reduce bullet distance under water and add a portable harpoon gun:

This would be a pretty huge change for the game, considering how many firefights end up taking place in the water, but it would go a long way in terms of balancing the current weapons under water and adding something new/fun to the game. Also, obviously, real flintlocks don't work under water at all.

This is kind of the fun compromise. If you were to greatly reduce the effective range of bullets under water, you would eliminate the obvious supremacy of sniper/pistol under water(you can shoot people from miles away, they can't move and they have no cover). It would force underwater combat to happen close range.

Adding a portable harpoon gun as an actual weapon would serve two purposes: one, give players a mid-range option for under water combat. two, give players a tool to defend from deep swimmers with kegs. There's two variations I can see with this: Either Roped or ropeless.

Ropeless would just serve as a long distance gun, that specifically excels under water. It would still be useable on land but would basically just be a flintlock with a slightly longer reload time.

Roped would allow you to pull people to you or pull yourself to them. This could be used under water to pull enemies close for combat or prevent enemies from escaping. Or, if they have a keg, just stealing right out of their hands.

nope I don't want that because it's fair the way it's now

• @inboundbomb said in Revamping water combat: Reduce bullet distance under water and add a portable harpoon gun:

@hereticexiled I’m still trying to figure out how we can swim with 10 cannon balls regular and 5 cursed in our pockets with the weapons and equipment and our instruments and not drown.

I mean this game isn't supposed to be realistic

• @closinghare208 I'm not sure I agree with the premise that weapons are properly balanced for under water combat but, even if we were to accept that premise, are you implying that this suggestion would somehow be imbalanced?

And, yeah, there will always be some unrealism in video games but that doesn't mean that games should just never aim for any "realism". If it enhances the experience or brings it closer to its intended pirate "experience", how is that a bad thing?

"the game isn't supposed to be realistic" is also an argument in the defence of unrealism, not an actual argument against realism. There's a different.

• @hereticexiled said in Revamping water combat: Reduce bullet distance under water and add a portable harpoon gun:

@closinghare208 I'm not sure I agree with the premise that weapons are properly balanced for under water combat but, even if we were to accept that premise, are you implying that this suggestion would somehow be imbalanced?

And, yeah, there will always be some unrealism in video games but that doesn't mean that games should just never aim for any "realism". If it enhances the experience or brings it closer to its intended pirate "experience", how is that a bad thing?

"the game isn't realistic" is an argument in the defence of unrealism, not an actual argument against realism. There's a different.

if you have read Athena's fortune then you know that this game and it's lore are magical and that's why bullets go farther underwater and it helps if one has the eye of reach equipped.

• @hereticexiled I like the idea, but don't think we need a harpoon gun. Simply limit the range of both the flintlock and blunderbuss under water - the latter's spread would slow it down, while the former's lower velocity would slow it down even more. Only the eye of reach would work well, giving it another solid reason to be used at long-range.

• @closinghare208 said in Revamping water combat: Reduce bullet distance under water and add a portable harpoon gun:

@inboundbomb said in Revamping water combat: Reduce bullet distance under water and add a portable harpoon gun:

@hereticexiled I’m still trying to figure out how we can swim with 10 cannon balls regular and 5 cursed in our pockets with the weapons and equipment and our instruments and not drown.

I mean this game isn't supposed to be realistic

I was joking sir. Lol

• @closinghare208 I haven't read the book but that seems like a stretch. While it may mention that the sea of thieves is magical, I certainly do not think it specifically mentions this magic applying to guns and bullets being impervious to water. That's a gameplay design choice, not a lore one.

@closinghare208 I haven't read the book but that seems like a stretch. While it may mention that the sea of thieves is magical, I certainly do not think it specifically mentions this magic applying to guns and bullets being impervious to water. That's a gameplay design choice, not a lore one.

ok I do like it the way it is though

• @closinghare208 Didn't you also respond to another post with "well climbing picks weren't around in pirate times"? You seem to be inconsistent with the kind of realism you want to apply to the game.

• I like the Water balance idea.
    Too many people shooting from underwater. Where if you think about it...if the weapons are based on gunpowder, that gets wet and wont work. :P

@closinghare208 Didn't you also respond to another post with "well climbing picks weren't around in pirate times"? You seem to be inconsistent with the kind of realism you want to apply to the game.

they weren't but that's not important to this topic I just mean that the pirates of the world and some off the weapons should be the same but what ever I think it's fine and doesn't need to be tampered with

• @burnbacon said in Revamping water combat: Reduce bullet distance under water and add a portable harpoon gun:

I like the Water balance idea.
    Too many people shooting from underwater. Where if you think about it...if the weapons are based on gunpowder, that gets wet and wont work. :P

yeah but then if some one cannons onto your ship then they could just kill you until the ammo runs out so an no from me

Views
6 out of 15