Can you make FOTD cosmetics be time-limited?

• Not sure whether this will divide opinion or not but I personally feel all the FOTD cosmetic rewards (Jacket, face paint, lantern etc) should be time-limited and can only be unlocked this month. Obviously the Black Market items are time limited but I'm specifically talking about the event-specific items that require commendations.

For me I love seeing players with limited-time cosmetics as it shows how long they've played and acts as a way of saying 'I was there when X event happened' and that's the way I feel event related cosmetics should be, rewarded to players who were there during that month, as inevitably all those nice looking cosmetics will end up just being another dull, overused cosmetic in a couple months time as everybody will have them, and they'll lose their 'wow' factor. I love seeing other players all those old event cosmetics such as the Kraken skull figurehead and the hungering deep drums as you can say 'wow, they're a dedicated player'. It also provides no sense of urgency as you have forever to unlock them, unlike previous events where you had unlock them during the event.

Anyways that's just my opinion, the new unlocks look great but I can't see myself using them in a month or 2 when everyone will have unlocked them. Really hope Rare doesn't continue this method of releasing event-specific cosmetics in future updates.

Feel free to disagree in replies.

Views
    feedbackevents
  • @maciver01
    Obviously this isn't going to happen for several reasons:

1. Rare has already made them permanent.
    2. The Fort of the Damned isn't time limited so the cosmetics shouldn't be either.
    3. The mess with the fort completions not counting for the first week of the update would have people raging even more if Rare suddenly made the cosmetics time limited.
  • @maciver01

I think Rare are moving away from time-limited event cosmetics. Lot's of people in this community apparently cannot handle when other players have something that they cannot get. Which is a sad thing to see Rare cater to.

While I agree that it's good that time-limited cosmetics allow players to have unique and exclusive customization options as a "thank you" for their participation in the events, I think those days are behind us now.

We'll get to maintain the exclusivity of our previously time-limited items, but I highly doubt we will get many more new exclusives - so we should cherish the ones we get to have. My favorites are the Ferryman Controller exclusive and the Original Bone Crusher set.

• @chronodusk I like my overachiever sails but there isn't a livery that I like to use it on. Lol

• @little-squash sagte in Can you make FOTD cosmetics be time-limited?:

@maciver01
    Obviously this isn't going to happen for several reasons:

2. The Fort of the Damned isn't time limited so the cosmetics shouldn't be either.
    3. The mess with the fort completions not counting for the first week of the update would have people raging even more if Rare suddenly made the cosmetics time limited.

'nuff said

• @inboundbomb sagte in Can you make FOTD cosmetics be time-limited?:

@chronodusk I like my overachiever sails but there isn't a livery that I like to use it on. Lol

I dont have them, but a mate and they look good on the 149k hull imho.

• @maciver01 said in Can you make FOTD cosmetics be time-limited?:

Not sure whether this will divide opinion or not but I personally feel all the FOTD cosmetic rewards (Jacket, face paint, lantern etc) should be time-limited and can only be unlocked this month. Obviously the Black Market items are time limited but I'm specifically talking about the event-specific items that require commendations.

For me I love seeing players with limited-time cosmetics as it shows how long they've played and acts as a way of saying 'I was there when X event happened' and that's the way I feel event related cosmetics should be, rewarded to players who were there during that month, as inevitably all those nice looking cosmetics will end up just being another dull, overused cosmetic in a couple months time as everybody will have them, and they'll lose their 'wow' factor. I love seeing other players all those old event cosmetics such as the Kraken skull figurehead and the hungering deep drums as you can say 'wow, they're a dedicated player'. It also provides no sense of urgency as you have forever to unlock them, unlike previous events where you had unlock them during the event.

Anyways that's just my opinion, the new unlocks look great but I can't see myself using them in a month or 2 when everyone will have unlocked them. Really hope Rare doesn't continue this method of releasing event-specific cosmetics in future updates.

Feel free to disagree in replies.

some people don't have time some times to do it so I think it's fine where it is

• @inboundbomb

• Overachiever Sails
    • Year 1 Legend Hull
    • Gold Hoarder Figurehead

You're welcome!

Not sure whether this will divide opinion or not but I personally feel all the FOTD cosmetic rewards (Jacket, face paint, lantern etc) should be time-limited and can only be unlocked this month.

JUSTINCASE2004 HAS ENTERED THE THREAD

• @heavyreaper102

alt text

• @chronodusk My complaint with limited time cosmetics was that they always gave part of a set one month and then the rest another. Think mercenary ship set or wailing barnacle clothes.

• @bugaboo-bill said in Can you make FOTD cosmetics be time-limited?:

@inboundbomb sagte in Can you make FOTD cosmetics be time-limited?:

@chronodusk I like my overachiever sails but there isn't a livery that I like to use it on. Lol

I dont have them, but a mate and they look good on the 149k hull imho.

I’ll try that out later. Thanks.

• @chronodusk said in Can you make FOTD cosmetics be time-limited?:

@inboundbomb

• Overachiever Sails
    • Year 1 Legend Hull
    • Gold Hoarder Figurehead

You're welcome!

Thank you sir!

• @inboundbomb said in Can you make FOTD cosmetics be time-limited?:

They look nice with the Ruffian sea dog ship and figurehead.

• @needsmokes said in Can you make FOTD cosmetics be time-limited?:

@inboundbomb said in Can you make FOTD cosmetics be time-limited?:

They look nice with the Ruffian sea dog ship and figurehead.

Gonna have to try all these combos out so I can see something other than red and green for a bit. Lol

• @Little-Squash

so? only a week in to the update, still gives people plenty time to complete the commendations

1. The Fort of the Damned isn't time limited so the cosmetics shouldn't be either.

The forsaken shores wasn't a time limited event yet most of the set was only available during that month, same goes for multiple other events.

1. The mess with the fort completions not counting for the first week of the update would have people raging even more if Rare suddenly made the cosmetics time limited.

Fair point, but still 3 weeks is more than enough time to complete the commendations even for a casual player, most people I know had them done even before the hotfix came out.

• @chronodusk
    Sad to see if Rare do leave time-limited event unlocks behind.

Since progress in this game is pretty much solely based on cosmetics, the ability to unlock and show-off, rare, exclusive items and compare to other pirates is something I love about the game.

Just guess we'll have to stick to the old event cosmetics from now on :(

• @maciver01

Yeah I agree.

Lots of people feel like they should be able to obtain absolutely everything there is, regardless of exclusivity to older players. And on top of that they want it with little to no effort.

Rare listen to those folks too much. Not only will we lose the ability to show off time limited stuff, we're also getting to a point where the cosmetics earnable in game don't even symbolize dedication to the game anymore.

The forsaken shores wasn't a time limited event yet most of the set was only available during that month, same goes for multiple other events.

I do see your point about Forsaken Shores. The Forsaken Shores commendations that were needed to unlock the time limited items could still be done now since they just involved standing on each of the islands.

However, the Cursed Sails event was probably the worst combination of time limited cosmetics and time limited events that I hope never returns. Needing to schedule playtime between midnight and 4am on nights I had to get up at 4:30am for work was just plain assinine.

I guess to clarify what I said before... I do agree that having time limited cosmetics can be a good thing. I don't agree that it would be a good idea for Rare to switch cosmetics and make them time limited after they have already been introduced into the game permanently.

• @inboundbomb said in Can you make FOTD cosmetics be time-limited?:

1 of the few things I didn't get despite how much I play - I'm still in disbelief that I missed it by only 4 captain's chests and a day... If only I had done the gilded gold hoarder voyage and not the gilded Athena... 🙄

• @chronodusk said in Can you make FOTD cosmetics be time-limited?:

@maciver01

Yeah I agree.

Lots of people feel like they should be able to obtain absolutely everything there is, regardless of exclusivity to older players. And on top of that they want it with little to no effort.

Rare listen to those folks too much. Not only will we lose the ability to show off time limited stuff, we're also getting to a point where the cosmetics earnable in game don't even symbolize dedication to the game anymore.

I think time limited cosmetics for events should be reasonably attainable by the average player who plays maybe once or twice a week during the month. Grindy time limited cosmetics are going to sour people on the game. The lantern at 10 fort completions is probably too much, based on the setup time for the fort, so having it permanent is fine. The time limited stuff in the last few events was pretty fair IMO.

I think if you are able to participate in the event for a reasonable amount of time (not just logging in), then you should be able to attain the reward. If you don't play at all, you shouldn't complain that you missed out.

The entire point of adding time limited stuff is to try to increase player participation in the events, but if they are too hard to achieve people just won't bother with them and complain more.

• @d3adst1ck

That's reasonable when it comes to time limited stuff - if it were time limited for October I would agree with allowing players to purchase it outright if they had the doubloons for it. This is how all previously time limited cosmetics for Bilge Rat Adventures were handled.

Since it is not time limited, I like the current unlock requirement.

• @chronodusk Yeah, I have no problem with the current set and don't think any of it needs to be time limited. If for some reason they decided to listen to OP's suggestion and make it time limited, the requirements would need to be lowered (or as you said, move it to the black market).

I feel like the Black Market is going to take over for time limited stuff now, and no time limited items will be tied to event commendations anymore which is kind of disappointing.

Views
feedbackevents
1 out of 23