"Storyteller Mode" (Machinima/Spectator) Idea for Private Servers based on OCT 9th Dev Update

• Not sure where I could suggest an idea for the private server after this update video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUerKPukJHM but immediately it made me realize a very potential feature that a lot of Machinima Filmmakers or the Creator Crew players would enjoy very much in Private Servers.

The idea is this: "Storyteller Mode" (Spectator View) for Private Servers.

The way it works is that any ship can have a single extra Pirate/Player onboard the ship as a spectator:

For example:

• Galleon = 4 Players +1 Spectator (5 Players)
    • Brigantine = 3 Players + 1 Spectator (4 Players)
    • Sloop = 2 Players + 1 Spectoator (3 Players)

And as the spectator, while they have no physical or visible corporeal form (Completely invisible with no details) they can freely fly around the entire Sea of Thieves world and observe the entire scene (Thus using any capture device or Xbox's built in DVR to record footage.) Also, since they are like an actual ghost they can also phase through walls and objects to set up the ideal picture setup for recording a shot that tells the story on screen.

Combine that with the option to disable the Player's HUD and you have the power to make Sea of Thieves Machinima!

Creator Crew can benefit greatly from this as well. As fun as having the ability to stream any wild adventures of a pirate who says nobody can't be able to create a visible, if not authentic and creative quality in visible storytelling through Spectator vision? (Once again, Machinima)

Heck, you might be earning cool rewards based on how well done the Storyteller Mode is utilized:

Regularly you could earn:

• Doubloons - For average video editing that shows a fun, acceptable quality.
      or
    • Ancient Coins - For incredible Non-Linear, if not semi-professional video editing for making an excellent Machinima Film.

Any opinions about this killer idea? Thought it's a cool one based on the recent Dev Video update mentioning Private Servers, Heck, I would love to hear what Rare would think about this.

Views
    general
  • I like the idea of a camera man mode. I think they should have the ability to be at least a shadow though. When you're setting this sort of stuff up it's pretty handy to know where the 'camera' is so that you can keep the action in shot.

I'm actually not in favour of intrinsic rewards for this stuff. I think the urge to create should be the main motivation and sharing your creations with others is its own reward.

• @boxcar-squidy said in "Storyteller Mode" (Machinima/Spectator) Idea for Private Servers based on OCT 9th Dev Update:

I like the idea of a camera man mode. I think they should have the ability to be at least a shadow though. When you're setting this sort of stuff up it's pretty handy to know where the 'camera' is so that you can keep the action in shot.

I'm actually not in favour of intrinsic rewards for this stuff. I think the urge to create should be the main motivation and sharing your creations with others is its own reward.

aye

• @boxcar-squidy Good point both the shadows and the reward. It was a quick brainstorming idea and just wanted to throw out what came into my mind, I am never against any critiques whatsoever. :)

For the shadow however, imagine there are 6 other ships on the server, considering its the maximum allowed for a server (or private for the matter), and that each of the 6 ships had their own spectator mode, this would take into consideration a cooperative approach to have multiple cameras to make multiple angles of one shot for non-linear video editing. So if the shadows are there for the camera, would other spectators see the shadows too? Having the ability to make the other spectators invisible, (maybe by button/key command) would prevent ruining a multi-angle shot.

P.S. I forgot to mention in the main post about the 6 maximum ships that would also have spectator mode cameras as I should have been more explanatory about it. with 2-6 additional spectators working together, that makes it more inspiring in a teamwork standpoint.

• Yay pirate movies :D

Views
general
1 out of 5