Why I Play Sea of Thieves

• I spawn in and begin stocking my sloop. I'm soloing again, while my crewmate sleeps.
    I decide to go below deck and change my clothes - the sun is high and my Hunter's Cloak is too heavy for such tropical climes.

I just have time to get naked when I turn to see a golden-bearded pirate with cutlass in hand, an Arena Master. Unbelievably he waits while I draw my own blade and we exchange passes. He is clearly the better swordsman, but below deck he can't jump around the way he would like and I keep my guard high and we swagger blades back and forth. I over-extend myself with a lunge and he finally manages to draw blood.
    "Yeah, nice touch," I say, genuinely impressed.
    The Arena master immediately disengages. "Are you just getting started?" he asks.
    "Nah, I've played a bit, but I don't pvp much."
    I don't know if he heard me, munching on his banana. I head to my food barrel and grab a narnie myself. We sheathe our blades and head above-deck.

The Arena Master says he is looking for battle, but the seas seem quiet at the moment. His crew has sunk the same brig three times, and they are looking for a more challenging match.

His crew turns out to be just one man, a silent fellow, who boards my ship, offering me a pair of sapphire mermaid gems upon arrival. I take them before realising my mistake. These pirates must be assuming I'm a lubber new to the Sea, wearing nothing but my skivvies, no livery on my sloop.

"You know, if it's a fight you want..." I say, raising my cutlass.
    "Nah bruv," The Arena master says, "Wouldn't feel right fighting you, now that we've spoken. Besides, we're pretty picky about who we sink, the crew and me. It's gotta be a good fight."

My pride may be hurt, but I swallow it. Looking at the pair of them and their ship, they way they position themselves, I know his assessment of my chance in battle is accurate.
    "Well, I'm heading down to the Roar. Good luck to you both."

Before they leave, the quiet pirate reminds me to sell the gems. "I will," I promise him, "to the Hunter's Call - that's where they can still do me some use."
    He waves and swims off.

I don't care what their standing with the factions, those two are Legends and represent the very best the Sea has to offer. Long may they sail.

I almost posted this thread in FEEDBACK + SUGGESTIONS because I wanted to let people know it's not all doom and gloom. This game still has the capacity to surprise and delight.

Views
  • These moments are the best that you can have.

• @ntraills

I actually just got this game and tbh I have had more good encounters than bad!

• @captainoneeye20 Agreed.

And the fact that @FoamingDlckTip has had more positive experiences than negative says great things about our community.

• As I read that, I had such an awesome movie scene going on in my head.

Good stuff.

• Aye, it felt pretty epic at the time, too.

Sometimes it is hard to remember the good because the bad hogs so much attention. This encounter was an excellent reminder.

• A well told tale, me heartie. The seas be a fine source for sweet soliloquy.

• A Great Story, thank you for sharing!

• @ntraills nice tale and duel mate

• @ntraills Agreed Ive had my fair share of sea attacks but heck that is more fun and exciting than sailing alone with no risk!

• @MarsMayflower @Thor-von-Blitz @ClosingHare208 Glad you enjoyed me tale, pirates, thanks for reading!

@FoamingDlckTip Agreed wholeheartedly. I've been playing long enough that most PvE is doable with minimum fuss - PvP remains the most exciting part of the game; avoiding it when I can, giving a good account of myself when pressed.

Views
1 out of 11