Beware of the lone pirate... They may be more fearsome than you think!

• This is a story of how a four man galleon crew regretted attacking a lone pirate on a sloop. That lone pirate is me...
    So there I was, docked at an outpost, selling me booty, when I saw a galleon fast approaching.
    Naturally, being a lone player and not wanting to engage in a fight I was surely going to lose, I greeted them by shouting over that I was friendly and that I didn't want to fight.
    I was met with the reply "eat lead" followed by several cannon balls crashing into the front of my sloop, which was anchored at the dock.
    I knew that I couldn't win this fight head on, so I ran on to the island and into the bushes. Slowly, I crept around the island and into the water on the far side. Then, I stealthily swam over to the galleon, making sure to swim as deep as possible until I reached their ladder.
    Holding on to the ladder, I checked my supplies. 1 banana, a sword and a pistol with 3 bullets. This wasn't looking good. As I was devising a plan I could hear the galleon crew talking.
    Guy 1: " Ha, that guy in the sloop didn't stand a chance"
    Guy 2: "I know, let's get our treasure and sell it on the island"
    I could see one guy standing with his back to my ladder so I knew this was my chance. I climbed on board and charged a heavy attack and stabbed the first guy in the back. I was met with an "oh s**t" and a gun shot from his mate. Wounded and out of bananas I decided to run below deck, I went to raid their banana stash but it was empty.
    Fearing the worst I hid on the lowest deck and aimed my pistol at the stairs. No one came down and I could hear them saying that they thought I'd fallen in the water!
    I slowly crept up a level and saw the guy reloading his ammo, so I shot him straight in the back. He went straight to Davey Jones. His friend hearing the gun shot came down to investigate, we fought for about 30 seconds, and we all missed our remaining shot but I managed to beat him in a sword fight. Seeing an opportunity I grabbed their captain's chest and jumped into the water, by this time the first guy had respawned and fired two shots into the water, both missing their mark. I ran over to the gold hoarder and sold the chest! Success, but this wasn't enough...
    I replenished my banana supply in the tavern and hid in a bush, then I saw two of them running around looking for me and a third one, carrying a skull... Seeing my target I ran out of the bush and started slashing, panicking, my victim dropped the skull, ran in a circle and then picked it up again, but it was too late, I slew him and then sold the skull for myself.
    The other two guys then ran towards me and I managed to lose them on the island. I swam back to their ship to see if they had any more loot, there were two marauders chests and a skull in the captain's cabin, so I grabbed a chest and jumped back into the water. As bullets whizzed past me I ran to the gold hoarder and sold a third piece of loot, kindly donated by them to replace my ship...
    Not wanting to risk anything more, and satisfied with my victory, I swam over to the mermaid, as they were taking shots at me from their ship I plugged my mic in and shouted over to them: "thanks for the treasure, that will teach you to pick on smaller crews". I was met with a stern "f you, come and fight us", to which I replied: "you lost a 4 vs 1, see ya and thanks again!". I then took the mermaid to my relocated ship.
    And that's my story of how a galleon crew thought they could bully a lone player who was docked at an outpost minding his own business, they paid the price in gold and took a hit to their egos at the same time!
    Hope you enjoyed this true tale and beware: don't underestimate lone players!

Views
  • @tidepodclassic As a primarily solo slooper, love the story. Let me add a tale from yesterday from my own diary:

I had just logged in and spawned at Dagger Tooth Outpost. I had gotten a few Rags and Bones quests from Duke and done my initial gathering of supplies, dropping them off on the ship. Went back to the shipwright and set up my ship customization, then as I was about to gather more supplies noticed a sloop anchored on the backside of the island. So I decided to hightail it out of there to be safe, and as I was raising the anchor I was met with a gunpowder blast from behind. I was surprised by the short time on the ferry and respawned at Dagger Tooth tavern. Seeing their ship was still there, I thought I'd swim over to the ship and cause a little havoc of my own as revenge (and I had nothing to lose having just started).

So as I make my way to the beach and start to swim over, he pulls away (don't know if he saw me then). I see my ship has not sunk yet, so start heading back that way. I notice he is turning around the horn of the island, heading toward my ship and firing upon it to sink it. But I also hear a Skeleton Sloop rise in the area at the same time. He pulls into Dagger Tooth as my ship sank and anchors off the barricades west of the pier. So I jump off the pier and swim towards the ship underwater - there are some shots fired but I realize he is shooting at my mermaid and not me. I make it aboard and as I am on the upper deck hear him hammering below, so I raise the anchor and change the course. He comes from below and I quickly dispatch him with my cutlass. I set the ship on a course for the Skeleton Sloop that was aggro already, run below to the Captain's cabin and steal his rowboat to escape (probably should have checked for treasure first, but it wasn't my concern at the time). From the west pier of the outpost I gleefully watched the Skeleton Sloop take him down for me, it was a glorious sight to behold. Felt good to get a little payback on that yellow cur dog and probably taught him a lesson.

Views
1 out of 2