Atlas is coming to Xbox - a threat to SoT?

• I've heard all about just how bad Atlas is, but does the general Xbox community know about that? Do you think it might pirate players away from the SoT, or entice players burned out on SoT? I'd like to hear your thoughts!

Views
  • I think it is going to be an acquired taste.
    I personally was a massive fan of Ark when it first launched and can not wait to jump in.

But it’s one of those games where you have to know what to expect. It’s going to be an absolute broken buggy mess with game breaking glitches, constant server lag and crashes and it will be like it for a while. Just like Ark was..

However for me, like SoT the game has a way of making such unique gameplay encounters and stories it’s going to be great.

Maybe I’ll see some of you guys on the seas other there also :P

Edit OT: I don’t think it will be a threat to SoT personally. The only theme they really share are pirates.

• Doubt it.

• @d3adst1ck said in Atlas is coming to Xbox - a threat to SoT?:

Doubt it.

Can you elaborate? Why do you doubt it?

• @galactic-geek said in Atlas is coming to Xbox - a threat to SoT?:

@d3adst1ck said in Atlas is coming to Xbox - a threat to SoT?:

Doubt it.

Can you elaborate? Why do you doubt it?

Hemorrhaging players like no tomorrow. I'm surprised they can even get it to work on a console given the performance that has been reported on some pretty high end PCs. In fact, barely works will probably describe it's release state.

• @galactic-geek it’s a different experience. Some players may like it some players may not. Any game that comes out may steal players away not just another pirate game. If it does take people away hopefully it will cleanse the community lol.

• @galactic-geek
    I don't think so, because it is a different genre of game even though it has the same theme

• Interesting:

"One of the things we are really excited about is crossplay support. We actually are going be having Atlas be crossplay enabled for both xbox and PC on day 1 at launch. So players on both platform will be able to play together in the exact same worlds, on all of our official servers. Something else that we are working on is keyboard and mouse support for xbox so players can look forward to that.

The one thing we really want to make sure xbox players understand is that when we launch Atlas on xbox, it's actually gonna have full game parity with xbox and PC. That means that whenever we push an update or we release new content for the game, xbox and PC will both get that simultaneously, it's not a different game for xbox or a different game for PC, it's the exact same game across both platforms."

Sounds familiar! Also, pretty direct approach to xbox players from Wildcard. "Platform parity, crossplay, m+k, deal with it". No real mention of optional crossplay either... Definitely won't be a game for many over here. They don't mention PVP/PVE servers like in Ark, but they did mention official servers, so maybe people will be able to rent those or run them privately, though the worlds described seem a lot bigger than Ark maps.

If they go the same route as Ark in terms of ship and base building, people coming from SOT might have a rude awakening, getting your ship sunk or base raided means it's gone, you have to start from scratch and build again (after farming enough resources of course). Losing an hour of loot will seem quite trivial in comparison. Persistent worlds also means ships and bases can be raided while you are not even in the game. The joy of logging into the game only to find a pile of flaming rubble where your glorious base once stood.

Still looks kinda cool though! As an Ark fan, I might check it out eventually, it looked like quite a hot mess in the beginning though.

• I’ll be right back! I gotta go to the Atlas forums and post about SOT’s!

• @bloodybil

Atlas has tried to steal some of Sea of Thieves's popularity before, such as when it advertised a 'mega update', the same name the anniversary update had before it was changed to avoid others stealing it as such. And yes, you can lose realtime days of total progress and start from nothing again. Not fun for most.

• Atlas is basically Ark with Ships.

If you like Ark's craft/survive/conquer gameplay you'll like Atlas, but the same doesn't translate to Sea of Thieves which is an open world adventure (roguelike-ish) sandbox.

There is a progression system, clans, customization and crafting and a lot of micromanagemt things in the survival department in Atlas, all things I personally detest. I'm one of those sweaty nerds that hated when hunger was introduced into minecraft.

If you like just getting straight into sailing action and swashbuckling Sea of Thieves is unmatched, it's easy to pick up and play. Atlas demands time and dedication for you to get your first good ship, that without taking into consideration all the goons you need to hire to help you on your quest.

Finally Sea of Thieves has Rare's charm in it's design, everything is polished and looks very nice, even if the goal isn't realistic graphics. Atlas looks ugly to me, incredibly unapealing visual style, but different strokes for different folks is what I say in this point.

Play Sea of Thieves for the adventure. Play Atlas for the progression.

• @bloodybil
    'will be able to play together'
    is not the same as
    'will be forced to play together'
    however the 'on all of our official servers' does seem a bit damning, but at least they are being crystal clear about it.
    The 'full game parity' also made me chuckle.

Back on topic, I'll pass on atlas, at least till it releases and everything has been laid bare for all to see...one thing that rare has taught me: anything with 'supports crossplay' in the product description should be cautiously approached.

• I wonder how Xbox players are going to like Chinese hackers flooding your server and/or ddos-ing you offline, maybe even stealing your gamer tag and getting all your info....I've heard terrible things from the pc side...if this is still a thing, which I believe it is, Xbox is going to be a haven for these types of people.

• @pomalotacusmk3

Oh, Atlas was released. It was on PC, and it was such a bad event that it didn't get even as much coverage as the trailers did, but it was and still is released. This is just it spreading to another platform.

• Hope it become a threat , with the delay of skulls and Bones from Ubisoft finally Atlas will provide competition to SoT , now Rare will have some pressure to release better and bigger updates, because right now the development is to slow, if they want to win and keep growing the ”pirate” player base, they need to compete. Also maybe this decrease the cost of the pirate emporium items with this competition.

Remember competition is good for us the players.

• I've tried it but way to much of a grind for my liking. That's the reason I love sea of thieves I can jump on do a couple of voyages, do a bit of PvP, fight a few bosses and then log off it's a more casual experience

• @galactic-geek Atlas is a threat to my brain cells but great for SoT, all the traumatized Atlas players would crawl to SoT devs who actually gives a **** about their game and fans.
    Wild Card ( the devs of Atlas) are part of the plague of unfinished eary access games instead of respecting fans who are willing to suffer an unfinished game to support the devs they just check out with our money while the game is trash.

• @galactic-geek Nope, quite a different thing (and not mine).

• @galactic-geek

Looked at it when it first released.
    Watched a good bit of it on Twitch with BurkeBlack and his Late Shift mateys over Christmas.
    Was entertaining enough... but even those guys moved on fairly quickly to other games. Was so... buggy.
    I'm I interested to give it a go myself ? ... probably not, I have my "Pirate" game for the moment :)

• To buy a whole new pirate game to play, or buy a recoloured ship skin?

That will be a choice many SOT players will soon have the option to make.

What would you rather spend your cash on?

• @pomalotacusmk3 said in Atlas is coming to Xbox - a threat to SoT?:

@bloodybil
    'will be able to play together'
    is not the same as
    'will be forced to play together'

Of course, that's not how they formulated it, but again, neither did Rare, did they?

Back on topic, I'll pass on atlas, at least till it releases and everything has been laid bare for all to see...one thing that rare has taught me: anything with 'supports crossplay' in the product description should be cautiously approached.

Wise move, I am sure all the people who bought SoT without doing their research beforehand and regretted the crossplay bits will learn of their mistakes before buying a game that might not suit them depending on 1 specific factor.

I will probably wait until the release as well and see how it goes from there.

• @needsmokes
    I doubt the target audience of sea of thieves will by atlas. Maybe some will, but I know I won't. But I'm not buying the bear and bird set either.

• @blazedrake100

Surely the attraction of sea of thieves is to be a pirate in an open world?
    Exactly the same as Atlas is offering, only with much much more to do in regards to your character, the world you interact with, not to mention crafting, building, management etc etc which is really popular on survival games on Xbox.

But we all remember Ark as a preview game, it took a while to get settled, but once it did, boy did it grow fast.

I only tried Ark a few times and soon realised my sons only wanted me to join them there to enslave me and keep me as their prisoner😭

I guess we will see how it is received after its launch

• @needsmokes
    Yeah, only time will tell. But it's a different type of open world game. Survival is the main focus, as opposed to player interactions.

• @galactic-geek

Atlas and Sea of Thieves are two very different games.

Atlas is an MMO, Sea of Thieves is not. This makes them very different experiences in a myriad of ways. They are not competitors simply because they are both pirate games.

Let's say that some game dev out there came out with an Astronaut game, where you fly your own spaceship around, encountering other teams of astronauts on their own spaceship - where interactions were unpredictable and could result in cooperation or PvP. That would be a real competitor to Sea of Thieves.

Look at the differences/similarities in the overarching gameplay experiences instead of what the setting is here.

• If what I've heard about Atlas is true, then it has nowhere near the same level of polish as Sea of Thieves, despite this game also having some pretty infamous bugs.

On top of that, the experience is different. Sea of Thieves at its core is an adventure game, while Atlas is more of a "base builder" or resource manager since you can construct ships yourself.

• Have you played Ark on Xbox? It's a dumpster fire. I admit that I have fun playing it from time to time but it's so janky that I literally get a headache playing it.

It's more like minecraft. It's really nothing like SoT.

• Probably the most noticeable effect will be a lot of players who have, on this forum, expressed how they want to change the core basis of this game to be something different will move over, play Atlas, be disappointed, then come back here with a new string of uninspired and ill thought out ideas about how to change SoT to be a different game.

• Crossplay between xbox and pc lol thats a bad idea. Don't know who ever thought that was or is a good idea. Stealing treasure from a ps4 or Nintendo player would be better.

• oh atlas the game that got terrible reviews wouldn't worry while SoT has its issues it doesn't compare to the broken boring mess atlas is

• I spent many an hour yesterday just goofing about on YouTube watching & learning about Atlas.
    And yes, whilst it is a completely different style of game to this. It does look interesting for those who enjoy a pirate themed game.
    Understandably, the game is still in it's preview mode, so to expect the finished article would be foolish.. But it does look to be a fun game, even more so if PVP is your thing.. There are some massive fleet battles out there. And there is also a PVE mode which many pirates crave.

The more i watch and learn of this game, the more i am tempted to get it and give it a go, just for the love of all things Pirate!

And as for the whole crossplay situation.. Well, i can always hide away on PVE servers if it's that bad.

Views
1 out of 31