Words of Wisdom... player behaviour

• @vorondil1

Yes to.. basic & civil "Respect" as in Race, colour, creed, sexual orientation etc. That's the traditional usage.

My usage of the term intended as....
    Not the "Entitlement to Respect", as in "the world owes me".

• @sardukar1234

Boredom should not be an excuse for bad behavior. It does not make it acceptable. It would be a good topic of discussion. I have seen some in these forums declare war, even bad behavior on others because they were board and demanding more PvP. It mostly boiled down to the same root causes we have been talking about here.

A truly bored player who does not have underlying bad intentions would typically just find somewhere else to have fun. There is no reason to stay in in a game if it is honestly boring and offers no means enjoyment from its content. It is just more bad behavior most likely to result in toxicity.

Yes, many vaccines contain attenuated strains of a live virus. Not the same as full exposure to the actual disease. No dose of bullying is ever acceptable.

• my take on toxic behavior is this:

if your choosing to be an jerk whose verbally attacking and harassing others. thats toxic.

if your verbally being a pirate in line with the time period. thats not toxic but it often gets associated with it.

people just dont know the difference. and thats what sad. yes the game has a 80/20 in favor of pvp set up but if a player goes into forcing you into pvp even after you told them you want no part in in. thats griefing because the attacker is REFUSING to leave the defender alone at all. i myself was driven from servers by over zealous and aggressive pvpers who harassed me till i left. its a persistent problem that we all face at one time or another. something has to be done.

• @piratecraggy I hope this changes

• The subject is pretty well covered by everyone's responses thus far.
    On the topic of trash talk:
    @Kat-Truewalkerr
    Well said. I love the comparison to what people privately say about other drivers while in their car. Amazing.

To add to the trash talk stuff... one of the big problems is that trash talk spread to be so common, but most people don't truly have the creativity and wit to do it well. So, they reduce it to rather toxic "insults" - the worst of which are just repeating bigoted insults, unfortunately. When someone's trash talk game consists of nothing more than curses and harsh language aggressively directed at another person, it's pretty much just toxicity and not really welcome in a game like this (my opinion, at least, but I think Rare stands behind that as well).

The art of trash talk was to get into the mind of the opponent, in an attempt to upset them and make them lose their focus/concentration in the hopes that it might push them into making performance mistakes.
    I think that sort of thing works best amongst friends, colleagues, and people that know each other to a certain extent (at the very least, are face to face).

It truly gets convoluted when done with strangers across the internet, behind our pixels and screens.

The one bit of advice I try to give is for everyone to remember it is silly fun, and it's best if we all convey that understanding between each other, now and then, when encountering each other in the game.
    If I am killing and/or sinking you... I may say some piratey things, with a laugh... because I want everyone to understand, this is all in fun... and I care about your fun as well as mine.
    I figure, if I'm being defeated, I'd rather it be by someone that is clearly in tune with the theme, and fun, of the game - and not someone acting like they just proved how amazing they are and how pathetic I am.

• @xurbanranger1x said in Words of Wisdom... player behaviour:

...if a player goes into forcing you into pvp even after you told them you want no part in in. thats griefing because the attacker is REFUSING to leave the defender alone at all...

You are wrong. Killing another player over and over again in a PvP game is not griefing. In fact, in a game like this killing other players is the point of PvP. It doesn't matter whether or not you want to PvP. You are playing a PvP game and it isn't griefing for other players to PvP as much as they want.

• @little-squash

Killing a player over and over again in Sea of Thieves is regarded as griefing, this isn't solely a PvP game and as such we need to respect the goals and playstyles of others. If you were to do this to me, I'd be reporting you pdq.

• @katttruewalker while this is true, I think @Little-Squash is pointing out that if some fearsome pirates board your ship looking for their loot, you can't just say "Well, I don't believe in PVP, so I'm going to have to ask you to leave now." Or at least, you could, but they would take your loot with them while complying. :) You can't just "opt out" of PVP right now, sometimes encounters get forced upon you.

Separate but related is the issue of spawn-killing -- which is totally a form of griefing!

Am I making any sense, or have I managed to misinterpret both of you?

• @vorondil1

Well that's fair enough, but 'killing someone over and over again' came across to me as spawn killing, which is one of the few things guaranteed to wind me up immediately lol I apologise if it was meant otherwise.

As pirates we're often boarding others, killing, sinking and stealing ;)

• Having to talk about what is and isn't toxic behavior... You know in america we have no restrictions to speech. The only restrictions being when someone makes a call to action against a specific group or groups based on their gender, religion, race... ext
    Rare needs to follow the american laws and only enforce the hate crime as its written by law in the usa.

Because in Canada for example you can go to jail for missgendering someone. Sorry but keep that trash off SoT. If you sound like a dude and i call you a dude this isn't a hate crime. This isn't Sea of politics keep this stuff off the game.

• @katttruewalker said in Words of Wisdom... player behaviour:

@little-squash

Killing a player over and over again in Sea of Thieves is regarded as griefing, this isn't solely a PvP game and as such we need to respect the goals and playstyles of others. If you were to do this to me, I'd be reporting you pdq.

I keep seeing people claim that this is a PvPvE game as if that somehow means the PvP is minimized or there should be less PvP. Just because there is PvE elements in this game doesn't make it any less of a PvP game. People use this thinking to justify claims that it is griefing to be attacked even after telling them they don't want it. That is wrong.

Also, just killing another player over and over again is not griefing. If I am playing the game to PvP other players and you happen to be the player I keep finding and killing, that isn't griefing. I would say it is more an issue of game design and server population issues.

As for spawn killing, I am also of the opinion that this isn't griefing either. It is a viable way of sinking another ship without using resources. As an example, I was playing on a galleon with one of my regular crews and we were doing a gilded voyages when a sloop came at us and started attacking us. Two of us boarded his ship and killed him and discovered he was solo. We continued to spawn kill him to force him to scuttle because we were low on resources and didn't want to waste them. We eventually went to game chat and during the brief periods he was alive told him this is what we were doing. He said he just enjoyed PvP and was attempting to see if he could take out a galleon solo and apparently had bit off more than he could chew. We then parked our ship next to his and invited him onto our ship where we had a bunch of 1v1 fights. Then he joined our alliance and helped us while we finished our gilded voyages. He then invited one of us to his crew and gave us his ship when he logged off. Was any of that griefing? I don't think so.

EDIT: If you don't like the way spawn killing works, that is more of a game design issue. The spawn system could be redesigned to reduce this if that is what the developers want.

• @vderickv

You know in america we have no restrictions to speech. The only restrictions being when someone makes a call to action against a specific group or groups based on their gender, religion, race... ext

The first Ammendment only applies to specifically the government restricting free speech, this doesn't mean things can't be said without consequences, regardless of content.

• This is going slightly off topic.
    Referencing laws in different countries for example.

It's a worldwide game, a worldwide community, not restricted to one community.
    Regardless to Gender, Age, Creed, Race, Sexuality, or indeed Nationality.

If we could get back to the issue, rather than appear to raise other issues.
    Or indeed, issues that may provoke unnecessary reactions from other members of the community.
    This is not a place to discuss those things, nor, infer or attempt to provoke those reactions.

Keep it light, keep it respectful, keep it to the Pirate Code.
    That's our Law. That... & the forum rules.

• I'm not trying to be off topic. I didn't buy a game with politics called the Sea of communism? Sorry I'm an american and we have the best definition of a hate crime here...
    Americas definition of hate crime which is only a crime when its a call to action is the only definition that should matter.. Honestly you can't talk about what specific speech is aloud and not aloud without politics. Go ahead try. Whats legal in one country is illegal in others and i'm sure Americans make up a big portion of this game.

• @vderickv said in Words of Wisdom... player behaviour:

Honestly you can't talk about what specific speech is aloud and not aloud without politics. Go ahead try.

Political & Religious Discussion-Forum Rules
    Due to the sensitive nature of discussion, Political and religious discussion is not permitted in the Sea of Thieves community. Discussions of this nature will result in the topic being deleted and the creator warned. If the action continues, a permanent ban from the Forums will be issued.

@Deckhands @Quartermasters
    Feel free to close the thread... think we are done.
    Thank you to those who contributed & stayed on topic.

• @piratecraggy Have done so me matey! :)

Views
35 out of 51