Teleporting Issues, Drifting Sloop, and Other Gameplay Issues

• Played a little last night to look for the Shrouded Ghost. We experienced constant teleporting issues after the small update. Just walking and swimming around the ship, islands, and outposts teleported our characters to random places. Mermaid took us to outposts instead of ship. Was teleported off the ship to a random spot in the sea. My spouse was swimming and was teleported to another player's ship.

The sloop will not sail straight when it should. It constantly goes off to one side. Had to constantly man the wheel.

Seems like there are lots of old returned issues and many new issues since Sea of Thieves went on a diet and slimmed down. There are a lot of graphical glitches, getting kicked out of the game, lag, screen freezes, game suddenly closing, and more.

It is ok to wait for new content updates. Could we please get regular, more frequent updates to address issues? It has been mentioned there are a lot of teams working on new stuff. Could use a team dedicated to quashing bugs and other game play issues in a more timely manner.

Views
  • @x-crowheart-x
    I'm not experiencing any of those issues, nor have I heard anyone else mention them. Every once in a while I'll take a mermaid and end up on an island, but that's only happened a few times.
    As for the sloop turning while the wheel is straight, keep in mind that waves will turn you... Simple to adjust for, just turn the wheel until the compass stops turning, then you'll be going straight. Not a bug, just a realistic part of the game.

• I thought i was losing my mind. My sloop literally sailed away by its own. Anchor was down as i was on old faithful isle, came back and it was gone took my merm and boat was a fair bit away just anchored in middle of sea 🤣😊

• @x-crowheart-x
    I would add to the returning bugs the cannon random angles. Always a pleasure getting shot vertical and behind your own ship. That being said I am also seeing old problems resurfacing, which is a problem. Game was going strong on having consistency, however extended black screens and game crashes are becoming more prevalent.

I'm game for halting some content for regular quality of life updates, except for the Arena. That needs to be on track, my personal opinion. However, how often can they push updates? Does Xbox limit when updates can happen, I understand Pc doesn't charge for updates. I remember hearing back in the day Xbox generally forced a price for updating games. An example would be TF2 for the xbox, all updates for the xbox version seemed to come to a halt when compared to the Pc version.

• @nabberwar
    Xbox forces developers to submit updates for certification before they will release them to the public. Mostly just an extra security precaution. Not sure if they charge for it, but based on how the devs for F13 pushed updates I would assume it costs a lot.

• @truthfullist56

Thank you for the reply. I have been playing the game for a year so my spouse and I are very sea worthy. I did mention when it should not drift. Controlling the ship with waves is a given.

Issues have persisted through several servers both U.S. and European. After Shrouded Spoils update a lot of bugs and gameplay issues went away. The update right after that brought back problems. Each update since has added to the issues.

There can be lot of differences from server to server. You can get on a server where there are no wondering skellie ships, Megs, Karen, or fog. You can roll over to another one and be full. It can be very random what you sail into, including when you get a sea full of bugs and glitches.

• @x-crowheart-x

I know Joe did say that they expect certain changes they're making for future updates may cause issues, but it's important that they know how these are affecting quality of experience and gameplay. Perhaps it's down to these or some other work going on behind the scenes.

@Nabberwar @TruthfulList56 I do remember that Rare didn't need to go through the certification process on release because the alpha tests meant that the game was in a good state, not sure how this works currently though.

"As a service-based game designed to be updated incrementally throughout development, 'Sea of Thieves' is part of Adaptive Certification Updates, a trust-based program open to all development partners," said Joe Neate, executive producer at Rare. "As such, we work closely with the Microsoft Studios certification team to quickly add new content and features to 'Sea of Thieves' on a continuous basis, while ensuring the quality of the game consistently meets standard certification guidelines."

• @nabberwar

Yeah we have seen the cannon issues as well. Also seeing cursed cannonballs display visual effects, but have no other effect. It is very random. Sometimes the work and sometimes they do not. Has with those firing from skellie ships too.

Say four black sreens the other night. Game has just been closing also. Would really be messing things up if sailing alone.

• @katttruewalker
    Might work differently for Rare due to their relation to Microsoft. I would imagine they get some "special privileges". Gun Media (the dev team for F13) wasn't exactly reliable and often broke more than they fixed with updates, but they were pretty open about the process for the most part.

• @katttruewalker

Yes I remember him saying that a couple dev videos back just after we had to redownload the whole game. I can understand what he said to a certain extent. However, if we are months away from the mega update and that content is still being worked on why do we have a lot of issues from it now?

There should be good quality change control processes. There should be a separate quality assurance testing environment independent of the production version we are playing. So far these little updates do not appear to be doing anything. There are no patch notes. Rare does not update the community here in the forums. I like the dev update videos, but they have been very generalized when discussing things and mention changes weeks or months away.

I think we all want them to stay on track with the content updates for the Arena, story questing, pets, etc. They have a big talented team. Focus on issues with frequent deployment of bug fixes and game play problems would greatly enhance the experience of new players and the quality of life for everyone sailing on the sea

• @x-crowheart-x

I agree with you and I know I've been a bit lax with submitting support tickets for issues like these, or I'm in the middle of something and forget later.

The only way the right teams will get to hear of and be able to address bugs like this, if it is after adding something extra in the background, is via bug reports, so we really do need to keep submitting them.

I'm almost certain you do this, so this is more aimed at anyone else experiencing issues as well.

I think the problem is that not everyone is suffering the same issues, and even then perhaps they're intermittent and thereby difficult to track down?

• The only way the right teams will get to hear of and be able to address bugs like this, if it is after adding something extra in the background, is via bug reports, so we really do need to keep submitting them.

@KattTruewalker I definitely agree with the sentiments both you and @x-Crowheart-x are expressing. All we can do for now is keep submitting our tickets so that attention is directed towards the most prominent offenders.

For anyone who reads this and stopped submitting tickets because they felt like they weren't being heard, here's a quote from Drew Stevens (Senior Producer) a while back about how the process works:

"For a little insight behind the scenes - All the bug reports are collated and passed to our internal test team for Review, Repro and Assigning out to the team/individual best served to fix the issue.

With each team our Leads are triaging bugs and assessing priority against new work at all times, we certainly aren't ignoring these - however will always have the challenge of balancing bug fixing based on their impact against new and exciting work!

We also see what is trending on our Forums/Social & Reddit and add bugs to our backlog as required. We certainly don't need another format for visualizing bugs - we have a pretty well defined process for our reports!

Sorry you don't feel like your bug is being addressed, it's more likely a prioritization call based on upcoming work."

Source for context: https://www.reddit.com/r/Seaofthieves/comments/api3b6/do_we_have_a_way_to_convey_a_bug_report_list_to/eg8khoe/

• @golgari-hexmage

Excellent, thanks so much for sharing that!

• @golgari-hexmage

Yes, thank you @Golgari-Hexmage!

Like @KattTruewalker and @Golgari-Hexmage said we need to remain diligent in reporting issues. We cannot assume just because a dev says they are "known issues" they are fully aware of everything. Especially when the comments are usually blanket statements.

I like this info from Reddit, however it still illustrates that these forums lack the same official feedback and content. It seems Sonicbob posts there frequently. There was an issue that he only posted on Reddit months back and when it was pointed out he said there needed to be more involvement here in these forums. It still has never happened.

This website and associated forums should be the first official place for everything Sea of Thieves related. We all know there are numerous issues with how the website and the forums do not work correctly all the time. That should not be a reason to just bypass it for places like Reddit.

Fix the issues so these forums will work better. Stop delegating to someone a responsibility to just read the official forums and take notes back. Post here first and mirror the official responses and feedback to the areas that players go. This is the official home of Sea of Thieves and a place were pirates make their way to learn more about the game, tell their stories, and get involved. It should be respected and treated as such.

• The game is unplayable solo with all accidents.. open crew function dont work in a game designed on teamplay. For me makes the game prety much unplayable at the moment.. i wont even start anymore its a waste of time :(

I need a pirate hug :"(

• @ruigtand-nl said in Teleporting Issues, Drifting Sloop, and Other Gameplay Issues:

The game is unplayable solo with all accidents.. open crew function dont work in a game designed on teamplay. For me makes the game prety much unplayable at the moment.. i wont even start anymore its a waste of time :(

I need a pirate hug :"(

This game is FAR from unplayable, even solo. Never had a problem with joining open crews either, what issues are you having with it? Just getting bad crews, or is it literally not working?
    I have better luck using LFG posts on xbox than the open crew. At the very least you're able to see a few of their stats (most importantly distance sailed) before inviting them to join you.

• @x-Crowheart-x and @Nabberwar

I just remembered something from one of my recent support tickets that might help you regarding the black screens:

The "infinite pockets" bug is back, but it's a little different this time. This may be important to you because when an affected player enters their game session from the loading screen, they'll hear sounds but they'll only see a black screen with the little rotating wheel in the corner. You can't move or interact at this point.

The workaround I came up with is to have your crew brig you to force another loading screen. This brings you into the game fully, and once you are unbrigged you can visit the Ferry of the Damned to revert the bug.

When this first affected me a few nights ago I was really confused because closing the game and even restarting my machine didn't remove the glitch. I loaded up three times into a black screen and only doing the above fixed it. Unfortunately, this temporary fix is predicated on having enough people to do a brig vote, but hopefully it helps.

• @truthfullist56

Sure i have hours of fun until i crash to xbox main. I love this game .but losing progress on 2 athena's demoralized me from even try one solo again. Or playing chickenboat and crash or get a pve monster combo to loose all in a black screen on the ferry.. teleported to wrong island quikly take mermaid but your ship sank.. etc

Too many accidents to solo without backup for my likes to even try again :( last summer i could play every day for hours without crashing so often..

Open crew system is to simple there is nothing to make a match so yeah its mostly bad experiences with hopping jokers

And i still need a pirate hug

• @ruigtand-nl

Wolf and I will sail with you my friend. We will have a big pirate group hug before we set sail battling what the sea will bring our way and all the ongoing issues. Might need to fill up the bowsprit with a lot more chickens for good luck though. Can not hurt. :)

• @x-crowheart-x

Yeah i cant wait its so nice to sail with you guys :")

• @ruigtand-nl
    I've probably only crashed a few times since the last update (not the hotfix the other day that was meant to FIX the crash issues). One of those times was halfway through a solo Athena voyage, so I get it...
    I was annoyed at first, but after playing F13 for so long I guess I've gotten used to my game crashing lol
    Couldn't find a pirate hug, but here's something I'm sure we can all relate to:

• I spent 150 dabloons on gold in the back market and I don't see the 30k as well as when I was selling gems I didn't get anything from them

Views
11 out of 22