Message in a Bottle + Barrel Quest Ideas (With Pictures)

• Hey guys!

I recently though of an idea to improve the Message in a Bottle, as well as the parchment papers that can be found in barrels. Instead of bottle tool-tips just saying "Message in a Bottle" it could sometimes specify the voyage company and voyage rank. This way, players would know if they've stumbled upon something worth picking up. As it is now, I see a lot of players getting their inventories filled up with bottle and barrel voyages that they don't ever complete.

Lower level players could get lucky and discover a voyage above their current faction level, which I think would be a really fun discovery for new players.
    alt text

It could even be taken a step further, with the extremely rare possibility of discovering a gilded voyage, mercenary voyage, or a similar special class of voyage. This would add another highly sought after item, similar to the chest of secrets.
    alt text

Finally, the barrel equivalent of this idea would show the actual voyage scroll in the barrel with some details. Note: With this idea, you could still find the mysterious parchment papers, this would just be a variant of it that could also be found.
    alt text

That's about it! Let me know what you guys think of this idea. Thanks for reading!

Views
  • I don't know enough about the lore of the game to tell if the current way of receiving quests makes sense; but I would very much prefer the bottles and parchments to be more rare and more rewarding than they are at the moment.
    It makes more sense to me to get more rewards from a quest found hidden at the bottom of a barrel or washed up on a shore from someone that thought it was worth making a map for instance to get back to a hidden treasure.

I'm also personally much more excited about doing a quest that I found that way rather than talk to NPC that asks me to go and get stuff for him/her; but again, that might be due to my lack of knowledge regarding the lore of the game.

So in short, to me your idea seems to be a better alternative to what the game currently propose. I'm curious about what Rare is preparing since they mentioned an overhaul of the quest / voyage system if I'm not mistaken.

• @furiouslyraging this is a great idea! I pickup so many that I never even do unless I have to go to that island at some point for my normal voyages

• @nhagah Agreed, quality over quantity!

• @furiouslyraging I must say you have given a spot on suggestion that I would like to see in game
    And I’m not a person who regularly praises ideas

• I love this idea. Especially the part about getting special rare quests. :)

• ...and upvoted! ✌😁

• @weststormborn much appreciated! :)

• @furiouslyraging

So if i understand your proposal correctly, your idea is that of picking up individual maps from bottles and barrels we instead finding entire voyages?

Not sure how i feel about that. On the one hand it would solve alot of issues with the current system including giving more options to the player of how they choice to spend there time.

On the other hand it would make mission less varied while devaluing the voyages themselves.

It's an interesting request. Please correct me if i miss interpreted you.

• And to make the crate of cannonballs, banana and wood contracted for longer than 24-36 hour. I don't know the exact amount but its short

• @enf0rcer I think you have misunderstood. He's just talking about having more info provided for any quests found as a message in a bottle. At a glance, you could see the type of quest it is, and he also suggested providing the company level equivalent too (so, for example, it would let you knowif the treasure map is equivalent to a lvl. 5 GH or a lvl. 50 GH) - the higher it is, the more profitable the loot.

• @enf0rcer said in Message in a Bottle + Barrel Quest Ideas (With Pictures):

@furiouslyraging

So if i understand your proposal correctly, your idea is that of picking up individual maps from bottles and barrels we instead finding entire voyages?

Not sure how i feel about that. On the one hand it would solve alot of issues with the current system including giving more options to the player of how they choice to spend there time.

On the other hand it would make mission less varied while devaluing the voyages themselves.

It's an interesting request. Please correct me if i miss interpreted you.

From my understanding of what they are proposing is that there is a visual improvement to the at a glance state of the bottle voyages as they are voyages, what they are saying as well is that the higher quality ones are still rare giving more incentive for people to keep an eye out for them instead of just picking everything up and having 9 pages of bottle voyages when you don't have need or want to do them for that session.

My suggestion on top of this would be to allow the crew picking up the voyages to place them back in bottles and either let them show up on beaches again as they throw them overboard or give them to other crews they come across.

This will be a great way to pepper the sessions with the rare chance to encounter an older event voyage that is no longer in the main rotation of the game for those that have missed out on playing it when it was originally available.

• @galactic-geek said in Message in a Bottle + Barrel Quest Ideas (With Pictures):

@enf0rcer I think you have misunderstood. He's just talking about having more info provided for any quests found as a message in a bottle. At a glance, you could see the type of quest it is, and he also suggested providing the company level equivalent too (so, for example, it would let you knowif the treasure map is equivalent to a lvl. 5 GH or a lvl. 50 GH) - the higher it is, the more profitable the loot.

Well if it simply just an addition to the UI to see what kind of map it was and it lvl before you picked it up I'd be fine with that.

Except the issue i see there is the map in bottles and barrel act as loot creates that uses RNG to gernerate the map as you pick it up. So the whole system would have to be revised to accomedate this.

I can't hope to guess what problem would pop up in such an endevor.

• Hey, @FuriouslyRaging just wanted to say I love the idea, think it would really make me pay attention to the bottles since I do quite frequently neglect them.

• I kinda like this, just having a chanse of getting a temporary voyage, maybe even a special voyage like a guilded or even an athena's fortune voyage for people to find before they are Legends would be great.

Maybe have them all have a special hook like the Mercenary voyage has, have special ones that have cursed chests at the end or all chests you gather are crying chests and the quest just wants you to sink :-P

• Well i mean realistically you would open a scroll to see what is written on it, not just look at the roled scroll and know whats in it. Also when you read it you remember it. I like how the scrolls are rn but i do like the idea of being able to find higher lvl scrolls for lower lvl players

Views
11 out of 16