What Do Trading Companies Do With Our Gold?

• Where DOES all of our gold go?

What do the traders use it for?

The title really says it all, I was pondering today on my journey to work the sheer amount of gold that has to have been unearthed in the first 10 months of the Sea of Thieves. I reckon I must have earned close to 2 million gold since release, yet I only have a modest 300,000 gold pieces in my coin purse at present.

So where does it all go?

We know from the lore of the game; particularly Captain Flameheart’s journal (you really must read Tales from the Sea of Thieves if you haven’t yet) that the Gold Hoarder has more uses for the Gold we pass on to his Trading Company than just to… well… hoard it:
    "One such character apparently unknown even to my father is the Gold Hoarder, a particularly terrifying Skeleton Lord whose name surely ties him to the Trading Company I met, oh, so many lifetimes ago. This man's skeleton was supposedly reclaimed by his spirit after death, driven by greed to the extent that he patches up his immortal frame with jewels and gold."

We can also see from other Gold Hoarders in the trading company named after this Skeleton Lord that gold slowly seeps into their every pores and takes over their bodies, but what about the other companies?

The Order of Souls seem to have very little use for Gold – there is only so much incense that one needs to buy afterall and their tents are more than modest in terms of décor,

The Merchant Alliance clearly wish to make as much profit as they can – which undoubtedly will then be sent back to home away from the Shroud.

So what do our modest clothiers, armourers, barkeeps and other merchants use the coin for? and where does it go?!

What do you reckon?

Views
  • They buy banana's and distribute them around the world and all the barrels so we can go on hoarding even more :")

• @ruigtand-nl you know... that was going to be one of my suggestions - those 'nanas, cannonballs and planks cost money afterall!

• U think the shopkeepers snap their fingers and stock is in?
    They need to pay for that. They buy the materials to make u or sell u the clothing etc.

For the barkeeps well... they need to restock their grog for these thirsty pirates. It aint all free matey

• @sshteeve

Ah... I have a deal with the Gold Hoarder on Ancient Spires.. I get a 10% kick-back ;)

• @weakdexx aye matey, but surely my 1.7 million gold alone would cover a lifetime's worth of grogg and equipment - there is a markup for sure on those clothes and items that they be selling us!

I'm waiting for gold to start pouring out from underneath the floorboards in the Ancient Spire Equipment shop! ;P

• @sshteeve

well u aint drinkin enough if that can cover a lifetime :P

• I save on a golden nightgown with precious stones and a golden night pot.

• Ducktales! Uh uh!

• I think it goes to the pirate lord for rent and taxes on their shops and prime shop locations.

• @sshteeve said in What Do Trading Companies Do With Our Gold?:

Where DOES all of our gold go?

What do the traders use it for?

The title really says it all, I was pondering today on my journey to work the sheer amount of gold that has to have been unearthed in the first 10 months of the Sea of Thieves. I reckon I must have earned close to 2 million gold since release, yet I only have a modest 300,000 gold pieces in my coin purse at present.

So where does it all go?

We know from the lore of the game; particularly Captain Flameheart’s journal (you really must read Tales from the Sea of Thieves if you haven’t yet) that the Gold Hoarder has more uses for the Gold we pass on to his Trading Company than just to… well… hoard it:
    "One such character apparently unknown even to my father is the Gold Hoarder, a particularly terrifying Skeleton Lord whose name surely ties him to the Trading Company I met, oh, so many lifetimes ago. This man's skeleton was supposedly reclaimed by his spirit after death, driven by greed to the extent that he patches up his immortal frame with jewels and gold."

We can also see from other Gold Hoarders in the trading company named after this Skeleton Lord that gold slowly seeps into their every pores and takes over their bodies, but what about the other companies?

The Order of Souls seem to have very little use for Gold – there is only so much incense that one needs to buy afterall and their tents are more than modest in terms of décor,

To pay you for the skulls you provide obviously. They don't care for gold, they want mysterious and magical items and skulls.

The Merchant Alliance clearly wish to make as much profit as they can – which undoubtedly will then be sent back to home away from the Shroud.

They provide the town with supplies, buying and selling goods with the money. Also, paying you out.

So what do our modest clothiers, armourers, barkeeps and other merchants use the coin for? and where does it go?!

Barkeeps don't tend to charge for the grog, so believe they charge premium to the locals.

Which clearly explains why the costs of items are what they are.

What do you reckon?

Not to mention repairs when the storm hits their houses, pirates stealing all the supplies they had and need to replenish.

• @cotu42 but where is it stored?! Where do they hide it? Do they think they keep hiding it well on beaches, only for it to be dug up again by us?!

Also - Where is all the metal and timber coming from? I don't see logging camps or (active) mines anywhere either!

• @sshteeve Smaug secretly lives in the SoT and they have to keep offering him gold so he doesn’t burn the place down with dragon fire.

Certain offerings are required to appease him as if he does decide to start cooking no one can leave the SoT to escape. :P

(I actually kinda like that idea haha)

• @sshteeve clearly they store it out of sight with all these pirates that keep dropping by.

Do you really think the Athena's Fortune is the only hidden location on those islands?

• @cotu42 interesting!

• @sshteeve

Very good questions...
    Also ... how is this possible
    We need answers!!!!!...

back on topic

The SoT economy is like no other

Certainly if I ran a Tavern like those in game in real life I'd be out of business pretty quick.

They only appear to have two patreons as well, Duke & the Mystrious Stranger... I hope they are buying their drinks at least.. :)

Also is the Pirate Legend Lair classified as a Basement Function Room., & if so.. is it available for hire for birthday parties?

• it goes to grog...

except the gold hoarders which literally has so much gold they are turning gold

• The rent is nuts

• Have you seen the Hunchbacked Goldhoarders ? ( * Yeah , i always wondered where they get that familiar back angle from...?) That jaw of gold must have cost a fortune and try to find a decent surgeon in thosed days that could take out yer own jaw and replace it with a new Golden Jaw....Or they could have gone cheap and asked Mr Bruce Campbell to take out a jaw , he does that for free with his chainsaw ( * Wrong era , yokel , it's Sea of Thieves , not Evil Dead...dumbo).

Views
3 out of 19