What would Rare have to change to make you want to do Skeleton Fleet battles?

• As it is now, (EDIT:) a large portion of players actively avoid skeleton fleet battles, opting to wait for a fort to spawn. They are much harder than forts, more time consuming, and less rewarding (at least when comparing the time it takes to complete one). What incentive would make you want to do them again? Fewer waves? A limit of one ship per wave? More loot (with more time to collect it between waves)?

Views
  • Placing the skeleton fleet in the center of the map making it closer to outposts, or forts so pirates could more easily resupply.

More time between the sinking of a skelly ship so loot can be gathered, also allowing time to make repairs.

Increase the loot, and value of items skelly ships carry.

For those that attack forts, and ships... it is all about efficiency of time spent doing these tasks.

I am just nitpicking, this game is so freaking amazing already. Best game I have ever played. Love the freedom of play!

• I am happy to do them. They are challenging, but not too difficult. They provide real ship to ship combat, rather than yet more fighting skellies in land. You are rewarded with, at least, four stronghold chest and four captain’s skulls. Finally, because they are not popular, you seldom have other pirates to contend with.

• Oh, and the music is exciting. :-)

• I don't know where people get the idea it takes longer to do skelly fleets than forts.......it doesn't. It takes me and a crew mate on a sloop 15 mins to clear a fort. It takes us the same amount of time to 2 man a skelly fleet. Ya'll are doing something terribly wrong.

• Skelly ships should go away forever and Rare should increase the amount of ships per server.

• I agree with everything @SurveyorPete said. My crew and I enjoy the skellie ship battles and find them aptly rewarding. I even do them solo sometimes. It takes a bit longer and requires more creative tactics, but it’s a blast.

Having said all that, there are some big “gotchas” worth mentioning. It takes some time to stock up for the ship battles. We need a fair number of cannonballs and planks, and a rowboat helps. After all that...there’s an unreasonably large chance of the ship cloud disappearing just before we reach the battle. It happened to us last night. Sometimes it’s server migration that kills it for us. The way things are now, ship clouds are far too few and far between.

So sadly, we don’t often get a chance to engage the skeleton fleets. We used to look forward to it. To answer the OP’s question, we don’t find anything wrong with the battles themselves, it’s the annoying game mechanics that drops them before us then yanks them away, like Lucy and the football. Argh!

• The only annoying thing is sailing all the way to the edge of the map to do one and it despawning just as you get near it!

Also as mentioned it would be nice to have more time between waves so you can gather all the loot but in general I quite like doing them, plus we're all chasing that skelly ship commendation anyway!

• @scottstixx
    Record and upload please.
    I'd love to see a 2-man crew take down 4-5 waves of ships in 15 minutes.

Seriously, I'd love to pick up some tips.

• "What would Rare have to change to make you want to do Skeleton Fleet battles?"

Nothing actually, I like them the way they are. But looking at the forts the loot is unbalanced. I think it's equal in value but skeleton fleets need way more preparation (if uncontested, forts take none at all) and take longer to finish. So I would say either decrease fort loot or increase skeleton fleet loot. But apart from that, I wouldn't change them at all.

• @boomtownboss said in What would Rare have to change to make you want to do Skeleton Fleet battles?:

Skelly ships should go away forever and Rare should increase the amount of ships per server.

noooooooo.... no...nooooo......im able to sink a skele ship D: got no chance agence a player think of us that cant pvp well my only chance is agence a newbi that thinks he can take on the world

• @iisrgntwolfii said in What would Rare have to change to make you want to do Skeleton Fleet battles?:

@scottstixx

Yea I don't beleive him either

• @txcrnr said in What would Rare have to change to make you want to do Skeleton Fleet battles?:

As it is now, nearly zero people actually do the skeleton ship battles for anything other than commendations. They are much harder than forts, more time consuming, and less rewarding (at least when comparing the time it takes to complete one). What incentive would make you want to do them again? Fewer waves? A limit of one ship per wave? More loot (with more time to collect it between waves)?

i do them all the time. Even solo. I even make a detour to take then. When wave are up. Straight go for it. LOVE the skelly ships. And its EASY. easier than a fort.

Dont need less waves. There is allrdy less and easier waves.
    It used to be 5 waves with max of 2 ships per wave (8 total) and all were galleon. Now its 3 waves with maybe max 2 ships per wave and 5 total overall waves and some are SLOOPS! insert laugh

Collecting loot in between waves is no problem. Anchor up if u can take the beating. Drop a crew mate with a rowboat if u continue sailing. OR lure the last ship of the wave to a rock. Sink it there and NO ships will spawn when near a rock. Sail out and they spawn again.

Its not hard do it more

• @genuine-heather

all u need is a fresh ship. Give me 15 wood. 15 cannonballs. 15 bananas. I will sink them all. Power of the bucket

• To add to this.

Have u guys done skelly waves in the DR. Where they circle active vulcano and have a meg pop up? These are the best! especially when i come out on top.

It is all possible if u know what u do.

• @iisrgntwolfii sagte in What would Rare have to change to make you want to do Skeleton Fleet battles?:

@scottstixx

I think they decreased the waves...the last two times I made them where just 3 waves...that's an easy win in 15 minutes
    And the reward is also not bad-4skulls and 4 chests from skeleton captain

Edit: just saw that @WeakDexx mentioned this already with the change to 3 waves...

• Less than the majority (potentially) does not equal "nearly zero".

Hyperbole aside...
    The ship waves are (or can be) less efficient, more chaotic, and they carry a more dangerous risk of sinking than skeleton forts.
    It depends on the crew. I'm experienced at taking on the skelly ships, but I also call together somewhat random crews, and I certainly have had pirates on my ship that make the task less reliable.

One of the biggest factors is which cursed balls may get fired your way. A skeleton crew spamming weary or jig balls can send a crew on that path of watching the water rise around them, hehe.

Still, it's absolutely much easier currently. I still enjoy them though.
    For most crews, the amount of resources required, plus the time required to stock up those resources, does affect players' interest (especially combined with their fear of doing all that just to sink).

Personally, I'd like to see the Ship Captain's chests and skulls be bumped up in price very slightly. Given that there are four of those items, the reward is quite good. However, I do think the reward could be raised a tiny bit, and still be balanced and reasonable.

Still, I am fine with how it plays out currently. Not everything has to be for everybody. I think the majority of players will always shy away from things that are less efficient (depending on player skill and experience), but the game should never mold itself around the tendencies of the average player that conforms to efficiency.
    The ship battles can be a special experience of fun and that's more than enough for those who enjoy it.

• More loot & more time to pick up said loot inbetween waves.

• Nothing. We still do skelly fleets, just because they are thrilling. We do not play the game for reward or gold, matey.

• @crimsonraziel Just wanted to point out that you DO think something should be changed, despite saying you didn't at first :p The loot balance is what you want changed. It should be as rewarding as the time commited

• @weakdexx Just because you do it doesn't mean that most players do. I made this post knowing that the people answering would likely say "Hey I do these sometimes", but just because you do doesnt mean that the majority does.

• @pdt-mindstream The issue is that most players would rather just wait for a fort. The fort has its own bananas/supplies, doesn't pose a risk to your ship, and can be completed in a short amount of time.

• @goedecke-michel Ok, so you like doing them but do you think they should have balanced rewards? Most players would rather just wait for a fort to take a place of the fleet. I have not once seen anyone do a skeleton fleet since the update.

• @txcrnr No, I don't think they need a balance. There will always some short timed, event related rewards, shifting the focus. Currently it's about forts, not so long ago it was about devil's roar, the time before it has been ships.

I play what I enjoy. Awards, rewards, gold don't really matter to me. Hey, try that too, that's what makes it fun.

• Sorry, but i have to disagree with the statement that no one does them. I do them every time I see that cloud in the sky. I even do them solo on my brig. As @Octopus-Lime said, sailing to them only to have them despawn just as you enter the zone sucks though. Last night I sailed to them, against the wind most of the way, and literally just as I was expecting to get the music the cloud turns green and goes away.

But I go for them every time I see the cloud. The battles are exciting and the rewards are great as long as you find them. The update that made them shine more than before was very beneficial, though still not always enough. I also agree with Lime that having a bit more time between waves would be good. I can barely finish repairing, bailing, filling my personal stock and maybe start sailing towards the floating loot before the next wave pops up.

I will say, I do sink from time to time, so it is not ideal being alone, and certainly some of the CCB's used make it extremely hard to do solo, but I manage. And generally by the time my ship sinks I am to the captain round, so I grab my new boat, stock it as I sail back, and finish off the captain if not one beats me to it.

• @txcrnr
    wait wait wait hold on here ...not trying to be mean or anything but
    this thread
    your thread about the shrouded ghost
    and the other thread about "is the meg a transformer"

u seem to have statistics that no 1 else can see with your "no 1 ever dose this" or "no that dosent happen" and "no it has a 0.0000% rate" where the hell are u getting these statistics from man o.O (even tho "..." was used in my reply NOTHING IS QUOTED just picked a number for example)

• @txcrnr

thats so true.
    same goes around tho. Saying not many to zero do it going from your exp. I point out the other side from my xp :)

Also to continue.
    Before the skelly captain had 2 chest and 2 skulls now its 4.
    So more loot. Less waves and even sloops instead of galleons. Lots changed all ready in favor of making it more easy and more loot. Even the loot dropped has a longer despawn so u can pick up more.

Later on i see u talk about resources. Forts have them. Skellie ships have them aswell. ON all ships. board and take it. When fighting skellies there will always be barrels in the water more supplies.

The balance is good. A fort can still sink your ship. More enemies at fort is a greater risk for your ship. With the waves u are always solo thats my exp.

Also again u mention no one is doing it. But that aint true i read comments and people are doing it.

Not here to offend u! Trying to give some info for a propper discussion.

• @nofears-fun

dont need more time in between. Read my earlier comment on how to position yourself to make next wave NOT spawn. U will have hours of time to pick up stuff. Repair bail make music get drunk repeat do it again and sail out to make them spawn.

• @monkeybee11 I was using hyperbole when I said "almost nobody". I just meant that in my experience, nobody has done any skeleton fleet battles on any server me or my friends have been on since the update. As for the transforming meg, I showed with video proof what is going on. With the shrouded ghost thread, I am estimating based on player counts and confirmed sightings.

• @weakdexx Taking supplies from skeleton ships is harder, however. I am not saying you are wrong, though, as it is an opinion question- you personally don't think they need changed and there's nothing wrong with that opinion :)

I just think that not enough players do them and was wondering if there was anything the players who DON'T do them would like to see changed. I know for sure that I would like it better if we had barrels that spawned after waves with extra time to grab them so that we don't have to use the rock exploit, and we could grab supplies from said barrels. I also would like if they reduced the turning and accelerating ability of skeleton ships to match that of an actual galleon.

• @nofears-fun Okay, it was hyperbole. I get it- 15 people have pointed out that "Well I do them so that means that you're wrong about nobody doing it!" I am just saying a SIGNIFICANT amount of players do forts but not skeleton ships, and I wanted to know FROM THOSE PLAYERS what would make them want to do skeleton fleet battles more. Could we please stop pointing out my usage of hyperbole?

• @txcrnr

Thats all good matey :) Its good we have diffrent opinions.
    And to add to that i might have jumped the gun than! Probably not understood the OP correctly.

If u want to know why people dont do them. Im not your captain to awnser this haha.

Altho im going to try to anwser it:
    I think people dont do them or dont like them just because they didnt do them enough. When u dont know what to do it can be hard. U can get hammered MAD! and not to mention the CCB's.
    But doing it over and over teaches u what to do. Because u can sail in a way the skellies ships cant shoot at u, but u are able to sink them :)

• @weakdexx
    CCB?

monkey dose something new get killed has a 2 seccon WHAT THE HELL THATS IMPOS...oh wait if wejust stay carm and dont get over welmed its easy
    then contuinius to swat them down like flys :D only thing this dosent work on is pvp pc..... me and dad cant predict other players actions XD

• @monkeybee11

Cursed Cannon Ball

• Cursed Cannon Balls should be exclusive to defeating those skelly ships.
    That is for me a good reason to go there and fight them!

Better loot aswell and I wouldn't be against some more challenges when it comes to defeat them.

Views
1 out of 49