shrouded spoils timed items are unfair RNG

• Rare,
    This latest expansion, while adding some great emergent gameplay has for me and others I have spoken too got to be the most annoying timed event you have added so far.

Tbh the fact that every "EVERY" doubloon you can earn in Shrouded Spoils is behind a RNG gate makes me so frustrated that it is completely destroying my game experience.

How on earth are people that work or don't have a large pool of crewmates expected to achieve the Timed items on offer.

Once again this game is pushing us into playing with random idiots that have no interest in anything other that destroying others games.

Why place times events under RNG that has got to be the dumbest thing you have done in the game so far.

I hope you can find some way to make this better.

fingers X :)

Views
  • The items are event like items. Every game out there that does events that are difficult to accomplish have items only available for that time. It makes perfect sense.
    The reason most people have them at launch is due to actually playing the game events in the past and saving those doubloons as they carry over.
    I don't understand the unfairness. Are you new to the game? Of course they are harder but don't fret. Next year you'll get a chance again and maybe you'll have saved up dubs then.

• You can earn dabloons for old commendations. I think I have like 400 extra dabloons. Not sure what your complaining about. You don’t “have” to do this months event to earn this months rewards

• @qtrmaster-zeta
    Pioneer - Founder - Insider
    The same as your good self.

The other events were skill based .. shoot and it the chair, or puzzle " ish" collect the correct flame and light the located beacons.
    These do not require any luck at all, just a knowledge of the game, Rare have said themselves that you progression is based on your own skill level ( being a better sailor is your advantage over others ) and as such I was more that able to complete all other timed events and collect the doubloons.

Now we are need to be lucky to get attacked by Megalodon or Kraken, with the nerf to mermaid statue spawn rated we also need to be lucky to find one. and lets not get started on the balance issues at the moment,

solo sloops getting attacked by all 3 threat NPC at the same time isn't helping matters.

I'm simply asking that Rare acknowledge the need to extend the event, lower the value of the timed items or increase the amount of doubloons gained from the RNG wheel of luck.

:D

• @straw-hat-blake

But looking at your stats you probable have pirate legend already :) so you have no need to use the spare doubloons as a catch up mechanic.
    I'm speaking on behalf of the casual players, and the simple truth is that the Shrouded spoils is exceptionally difficult for them.

I play as often as I can, but its mostly solo while I wait for others.
    I have managed to keep up just about. :D
    Though I am still only 40 40 50 at the moment but I think that quite good for the amount of game time casual players are used too.

I just want a chance to get rewarded for my efforts too.

• but as you say the more the sailing the more experience you have out at sea. So if things are too difficult it's because you don't have the time acquired to understand mechanics. I have died soloing a sloop many times over but I learn from mistakes and how the npcs interact with my combat. It's evolving always and I enjoy that change.

• I agree to @Willy-Pordobel in some way.

I didnt buy all event cosmetics until, i for example only buyed the barnacle hat and the weapons, i didn't buy everything and saved some dubloons, that for example saved me from beeing in the need to work off 200 cargos to get the Ashen Set. I just buyed it and still haven't done 250 cargos. Or for example, i have problems killing 200 skeletons harmed by cursed cannonballs.
    I dislike grinding and i dislike hese numbers very much, i just dont get involved in any "workorder" they create, i do things of course, but it happens by the way, while i play the game and do whatever i know is lucrative, but never become efficient or work things off as i said.
    So, this time i for the first time ran out of Dubloons.
    I cannot buy the whole Barnacle Ship Set and now i have 3 Weeks to fulfill some of the commenations i have left that would give me some dubloons or do try the actual event.
    the actual event isn't that grindy, but OP is right depends on RNG somewhat. I think i will get to it with my crew, but i have a crew and i think i wouldnt be able to solo it.
    Things like this beautiful Barnacle Ship Set shouldnt be handed, but i agree that if you dont have that much Dubloons, you maybe spent all the time to get all the limited cosmetics, you may run into problems now, especially if you are solo and casual.
    I never buyed a level, i wont do that, i dont care about my level that much, but i care a little bit to be able to buy an athena for myself, so i for sure try to hit PL Status.
    Actually i'm 49, 46, 42
    So maybe end of year or January i'm done.
    For Athena there is nothing what i'm interested in.
    I wont grind any commendations or want anything from it very hard.
    I will buy the Athena Hat and the Athena Figurine when A10, all the other Stuff is nothing i really want.

Rare need to make sure they ont fall for all the hardcore gamers and achievers wants. The measure is somewhere between the 24hr Streamers and the "i play once a week" casual or 20hrs/ month.

This is the right measure! And about difficulty or RNG the measure ist not the hardcore pro who can kill Meg, Karen, a Skaleon while doing a Fort Solo in a Sloop, eating Pizza and binge watching Netflix, but also not the ones who are not able to steer straight forward and hit Canon Cove because they couldnt see it because of their sails XD

Rare toned down a lot of thngs until and that was allways a good thing imho. Sure some complain, but they arent the measure.

I need to earn 10 Dubloons now to buy the figurhead and i think i will let go the flag ;-)

have fun - Stun

• @willy-pordobel good point. Lots of people probably waste their dabloons. I definitely agree that for solo players the game is becoming more and more complicated. Borderline chancy. I used to do a lot of the commendations solo but it’s so much more fun with people. I feel like I’m “grinding” trying to do stuff by myself when it could be an adventure with friends. It’s soo much easier once you get a solid crew. Discord help A LOT

• @straw-hat-blake this guy gets it. I solo 70% of the time to PL. It was difficult but it made me into an all around better pirate. The game is definitely better with friends than alone too. Twitter and discord is your best bet to find a good crew.

• @willy-pordobel said in shrouded spoils timed items are unfair RNG:

Rare,
    This latest expansion, while adding some great emergent gameplay has for me and others I have spoken too got to be the most annoying timed event you have added so far.

Tbh the fact that every "EVERY" doubloon you can earn in Shrouded Spoils is behind a RNG gate makes me so frustrated that it is completely destroying my game experience.

How on earth are people that work or don't have a large pool of crewmates expected to achieve the Timed items on offer.

Once again this game is pushing us into playing with random idiots that have no interest in anything other that destroying others games.

Why place times events under RNG that has got to be the dumbest thing you have done in the game so far.

I hope you can find some way to make this better.

fingers X :)

Sorry, just to clarify - are you talking about the Wailing Barnacle items? Or the doubloons themselves?

Note that the doubloons aren't time locked. After this event you'll still be able to get them. E.g. I didn't play Festival of the Damned and I've been unlocking commendations and getting doubloons for that this week.

The only thing that you won't be able to get after this event are the Wailing Barnacle ship items. Even then - they'll likely come back again for a limited time.

If you're intent on buying every single item that comes with every event - then yeah, you're gonna have a bad time.

• @wilbobaggns

I was referring to the Time limited ship cosmetics from Duke.
    ( Some readers may miss my point and think my issue is due to lack of understanding the game mechanics but this isn't true.
    I play test most new update and am fully aware of how things work. even the little sneaky bits

But as most Casual players or players that have to solo more often, we are using the doubloons to try and get to legend.
    I have been able to fully complete over events, buy my items and still have some spare doubloons to buy a few levels towards a faction, but not in Shrouded spoils.

My issue is simply that the doubloons in the Shrouded spoils update are not acquired via skill but rather luck.

Luck that ofc increases when you are in a well oiled crew.

• @theunionjames
    Not to be obvious but in my case it's the fact that " sigh I've said this so many times .. read the post please "
    This round of doubloons are not gained via skill.
    but via RNG

RNG that the meg spawns ( with the correct colour skin)
    RNG that the kraken spawns ( pray you not solo - oh wait .. read the post )
    RNG that you manage to find a mermaid statue ( pray its not red as you can not longer solo them - oh wait read the post )

so the only thing you " log in .. locate .. and actually attempt is a skelly fort for the skull and chest hand in. (pray your not then steam rolled by the galleon after spending a stupid amount of time doing something Rare intend to be a group task)

As for spending out doubloons and not saving them.
    Every over Bilge Rat event was skill based and solo players were able to do them without issue.

• The time limited items should just stick around longer than other events IMO. There is a bit of randomness to these commendations which makes getting the doubloons required to buy them all take a bit longer than other events.

If they could keep them through the holidays into the New Year, along with whatever they have planned for Christmas events, that would be nice.

• @willy-pordobel
    The only players I may see struggling to get this items are new players that started to play with this update.

In this case, with all my sincere thought, it's fair enough. Everything in this game was thought only around the new players until now. Old players are often left out of the improvements...

This event is clearly though about us, the experienced players with some baggage and Doubloons to spare.

And more... What's special about time limit and exclusive items if everyone else have one...

People during the firsts bilge Rat also needed to make choices about where to spend the current Doubloons, or if to save it for next adventures.. we didn't earn enough money to buy everything.

If people don't have enough Doubloons for everything, just choose what they want most.

• I kind of agree. Many of the commendations of this event are based on luck. If you've done all the previous events and already spent all your doubloons on other stuff, there is a chance you will miss out on these time limited items simply because you were not lucky enough to see X monster.
    If I'm not mistaken, Duke is selling 7 items this time. 280 doubloons is quite a lot compared to the other events.

Personally, I'm doing the cargo runs, mermaid statues and cursed cannon balls commendations for my doubloons. Good thing I didn't do them yet ^ ^

• @wilbobaggns sagte in shrouded spoils timed items are unfair RNG:

@willy-pordobel said in shrouded spoils timed items are unfair RNG:
    If you're intent on buying every single item that comes with every event - then yeah, you're gonna have a bad time.

Not if you save the extra doubloons every event, like I did/do

• @schwammlgott

Yeah, I've spent my doubloons on every single event item that's come out, but still had over 400 doubloons at the start of this event. And there are a few commendations I've still not done (most of the cargo runs and the legendary reaper's mark voyages commendations).
    I've never spent doubloons on anything else though (such as gold or reputation).

Still, to the OP, while I don't think this event deserves any calls for being unfair... and I don't think "RNG" is a valid complaint (every other event wasn't RNG and this one IS... well, that's okay... this is ONE that is different - different is okay! Plus, it's not so much RNG as just a matter of time, for most), 280 doubloons did seem like a lot and the new update commendations may not offer enough points in a short window of time.

I, honestly, haven't done a tally of the doubloons you can potentially earn from the new commendations. Does anyone have the numbers available?

• I've completed every event thus far, and spent all my dubloons, which means I have none for this event. This may be the 1st time I don't get all of the limited timed events, which sucks, because the wailing barnacle ship set looks amazing! I've played 3+ hours each day for the past 4 days and only have 5 dubloons to show for it (for killing the regular megalodon). :'(

• @pdt-mindstream I didn't count it together, but in the Patch-Notes it said 355 doubloons to earn

• @solestone563412 I have no problem with playing solo...except of the skeleton ship raid and killing the kraken everything is doable without problems...

• @willy-pordobel sagte in shrouded spoils timed items are unfair RNG:

@straw-hat-blake

... so you have no need to use the spare doubloons as a catch up mechanic.

Neither do you.

• @willy-pordobel said in shrouded spoils timed items are unfair RNG:

@wilbobaggns

I was referring to the Time limited ship cosmetics from Duke.
    ( Some readers may miss my point and think my issue is due to lack of understanding the game mechanics but this isn't true.
    I play test most new update and am fully aware of how things work. even the little sneaky bits

But as most Casual players or players that have to solo more often, we are using the doubloons to try and get to legend.
    I have been able to fully complete over events, buy my items and still have some spare doubloons to buy a few levels towards a faction, but not in Shrouded spoils.

My issue is simply that the doubloons in the Shrouded spoils update are not acquired via skill but rather luck.

Luck that ofc increases when you are in a well oiled crew.

U could not spend them on quick PL. Than u have enough spare to buy from duke at start of event. Choices.

U call gaining doubloons in Shrouded Spoils luck over skill.
    Not sure matey.
    Fort commendations, no luck needed there are forts. Skill needed to take it.
    Skelly ship commendation, need a lil luck that the random ships drop particular loot. Altho skill to them out. If u do skelly ship waves u 100% get that loot u need. No luck there.
    Krakens & Megs, Yes RNG/luck to encounter. Still skill needed or else u sink and no commendation.

Its more Skills over luck for all commendations in Shrouded Spoils.

In another comment u state Mermaids RNG. Yes to find them RNG. To slay them skill. Even reds can be solo'd. Know what you are doing and its possible. Take kegs, its deep down in water? Leave kegs for 15 min they sink. blow up statue. Skill.

Forts always been PvP and someone can always roll up. This is also part of your skill level and tactic how u cope to get out on top.

• What's random about this event? The biggest payouts are for the Skeleton forts and ships, I believe that if you've got those you're set for the whole set.

Forts spawn constantly and ships give 4 chests per round so it will be quick if you just go for it.

There's also no pre-requisite to unlocking these cosmetics so you'll be able to use dubloons from the word go (I bought everything the first moment I logged in because I've got hundreds of dubloons to burn).

Also also, there's probably still dubloons to earn from the last few events.

Please elaborate more on the random part of this?

• @nunoazuldimeter You're not wrong.
    I'm a tad salty that I used all my doubloons to get the rest of the way to Legend, but I knew when I did it that it may mean missing some cosmetics.

I don't even like the set and I'm no completionist so it's fine by me!

• @schwammlgott said in shrouded spoils timed items are unfair RNG:

@wilbobaggns sagte in shrouded spoils timed items are unfair RNG:

@willy-pordobel said in shrouded spoils timed items are unfair RNG:

Not if you save the extra doubloons every event, like I did/do

oh i'm not saying it's impossible. not at all. just saying if you EXPECT to be able to do that, easily, with multiple other time commitments - then yeah it's a problem. However, it's not one that I think anyone should be worked up about.

They are, after all... Digital cosmetic enhancements in a video game.

Controversial, I know.

• Some of them are difficult or even impossible to do without a team, but there are a few easy ones you could do by yourself. Like, lighting all the beacons. Or discovering all the islands in The Devil's Roar. :)

• @princes-lettuce He probably speaking about Kill Kraken N times, kill Megalodon, etc.

• The only thing that's time limited so far is the bilge rat cosmetics

Views
13 out of 28