Official Sea of Thieves Developer Update: October 25th 2018

• Ahoy maties!

It's that time of the week again, and some very juicy reveals in this one!

Ready to hear more about our next content update coming in November? True to form, Sea of Thieves Executive Producer Joe is here to leak the first details. Also on the agenda: Festival of the Damned, TwitchCon and X018!

Talking points include:

• Updates - Testing with pioneers is ongoing and feedback and bug reduction is important.
    • Festival of the Damned - Coming October 31st - Testing is ongoing with Pioneers - One week left to earn those final limited time cosmetics in the Forsaken Shores update.
    • Feedback - A lot of feedback has been collected on what the community wants and built into future updates.
    • Shrouded Spoils - The next update coming in November - an update/promotional video is due closer to the date.

As part of Shrouded Spoils we will see:

• Ship Customisation - Including cannon, capstan and wheel customisations!
    • Fog - Can roll in at any time, very spooky and eerie - makes the crows nest a vital part of sailing.
    • Pirate Legend Commendations - Specific commendations ONLY for Pirate Legends.

Wow, oh wow, what an update!

Views
  • What a nice Sea of Tease! :O

This fog will be awesome in ship battles!! Yarrr

Looking forward to this update based on the feedbacks.

• Yes... at last... the Fog!
    How cool is it going to be to creep up with a rowboat full of Gunpowder & let that baby rip next to a Galleon.
    Then slip back into the mists...stealth tactics... love it.... and so many possibilities.

alt text

• Fog is indeed a good addition. We need more things like this that change the gameplay up and add variety. It will be interesting to see what else is included - is this the long awaited content overhaul patch?

• Wow , looking very forward to the fog...i can already imagine how many screenshots i will take when the sun shines through the fog. but then i'm very curious how fog can play a tactical role in shipbattles and chases...hihihiii i think i found a new elemental ally in dodging piratehunters when i'm playing on my own...Thanks Mr Joe and Rare Members.

• Finally!! Yep mentioned fog way back for some of the islands especially at night. And that god we get to at last customize the cannons and ships wheel...now where is my crazy cracked out turrets order barking parrot!

• Yeah fog is coming! Those sunrays through the fog are going to look stunning!

• Super excited about the fog! And the extra atmosphere created by some new sounds and music that Joe talked about while being in the fog sounds fantastic.

• Certainly looks interesting! Lots of new 'stuff' being added to the world. I guess I need to cut back on exploration and actually start hoarding some gold again :-D

• @ant-heuser-kush yup...I hear ya matey. After I had all the Pirate Legend stuff I wanted...which was not much as I'm just not into the purple stuff. I had about 750,000.00 and was just about to hit spend on the Ghost Sails. Then we got word of all the new F.S. gear and after the entire Kraken set including livery, all the OceanCrawler and Forsaken Shore gear, I was back down to about 250,000.00. I'm somewhere over 400,000.00 and the moment and still heading back towards the Ghost Sails :-D

• EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

• He sure lived up to his reputation as the Leaking Experiment in this one.
    alt text

• @musicmee Thank you :)
    You're talking about the November DLC, it's a DLC like Forsaken, Cursed Sails? Or a bilge-rat adventure? I'm curious to know !

• Very happy about the ship costumisation (finally) and the fog look like an interesting mechanics.

About the pirate legend commendations I would prefered some pirate legend cosmetiscs, I hope there will be also, as surprise maybe

• @ant-heuser-kush thank's for you answer mat' :)

• I'm already in love with the Fog, so many things to do and screenshots to take!

• @thor-von-blitz Likewise, never thought I could love fog so much, but this is beautiful!

• If they say the crows nest will be vital for navigating, what of solo sailors; will there be a periscope to see above the fog?

• Rowboat + fog = boom boom

• @scoobywrx555 Nope, I don't think there will :P

https://media.giphy.com/media/l3q2PyGbUF6rItHEI/giphy.gif

• Really looking forward to the fog being added, then using the rowboat for a sneak attack will be even better! Muahahahaha!
    As an aside, what a fabulous looking lantern Joe is holding in the picture :D :D :D

• I remember one of my first posts being about fog! This is great news indeed, I’m looking forward to seeing how it changes the gameplay. It could also be the start of different particle effects.. maybe some fog of war in the future?

Also looks like the PLs patience is going to finally pay off, I might have to start getting my grind on to PL if there’s content starting to trickle in for them now!

Does this also mean I can finally nab those cannons of the ferry? drools

Great update sounds like the seas will be getting that little bit deeper in the coming weeks. I’m intrigued!

Great update!

• @musicmee awesome video this week.

Did you see how excited Joe looked talking about the upcoming DLCs? The big grin on him.

Spoil-ers on the next update too!

Lots of meat on the bones of this one.

• As a soloist, I think I'll be noting in advance where all the big rocks are on the map.

• I am most excited about the Pirate Legend commendations and hope that it is the start of a lot more Pirate Legend love coming our way soon. Ship customization will make our ships that more memorable when sailing and sinking ships. Having fog is something that will add a lot of ambiance to our voyages and hopefully exciting encounters.

I am very happy that Shrouded Spoils is going to include a collection of things the community has been wanting to see come to the game. Looking forward to learning more about what all the update will contain when the fog fades away in November.

• Man I’m hyped for X018, can’t hold me, MEGA HYPED!!!111

• The fog looks really cool. I just hope that it's not common to the point of just being annoying. It should be more common at sunrise and very very rare the rest of the time like irl. Really disappointed that they haven't mentioned anything about DR still. It's really bad for the game and needs to be fixed.

• You forgot the tease that something that "changes the game" is coming as well which has to be well tested!

• @sshteeve said in Official Sea of Thieves Developer Update: October 25th 2018:

You forgot the tease that something that "changes the game" is coming as well which has to be well tested!

Yeah, it almost seemed like Joe was going to go into full leak mode on that one with how excited he looked.

The well tested thing, do you think he meant the expanded pioneer programme that he's previously mentioned or was he alluding to some sort of open beta? Or both?

• @musicmee Zoinks! Better map out those rock formations and unnamed islands then

• @scoobywrx555 Oh yeah, forgot about them...

I would have made it to the outpost if it wasn't for those pesky rocks!

• @musicmee haha yeah gotta be more careful now aiming your ship into 'open' seas then browsing the forums on yer phone!

• @musicmee

Talk about #seaoftease, someone stock up on rum so we can get some leaks!

• Guess we may have a new use for the "Speaking Trumpet"

alt text

• @piratecraggy

https://media.giphy.com/media/QlxTe5DxnLOla/giphy.gif

Views
1 out of 48