PvP "Mode" based around limiting loot, server wide objectives.

• First I want to say I love certain aspects of this game, and completely despise others. There has been many many requests for a PvE servers and the general response from many players has been a loud NO. There are some good reasons for this as the core gameplay relies on player uncertainty to create the high moments of the game.

We still have a problem though, people looking for action on the high seas feel like they have been left high and dry... between unequal servers, abundance of sloops, alliances, and overwhelming feeling of PvP is partially "griefing" due to poor design. So instead of a PvE server, I propose a PvP server for me and my blood thirsty brothers to have a place to play.

Server wide voyages, with loot value upfront

I'm not to particular on how the details of this is implemented. But making it so another crew and I could potentially have the same objectives increases the probability of running into each other naturally. Loot can now be contested before you dig it up. Its no longer your voyage as its available to everyone. This also means you can predict where people might be. And there is still some room for avoiding people if you just want to go after lower value loot, or something that isn't contested.

Limit the amount of loot per voyage / health of skeletons

No more 6 hour athenas, we want to keep the amount of time investment on an island minimal so people are nimble and not tied to an island for long stretches of time. They should be quick and easy instead of a slog, so you have time to fight other players.

Actually no more athenas

Athenas are rubbish, they are just time sinks.

Limit ship types

No sloops vs galleons make a small PvP class, and a Big PvP class. Either sloops+brig and brig+galleon or just brig servers and gal servers. Make teamwork an important aspect of this mode.

No alliances/merchants...

... Do I really need to explain this...

No meg/kraken/skellys ships/fort

Design a fort like event initiated by players and creates a PvP flash point. Forts were glorious but the idea behind. Being initiated by players is to give a player that is already on the server an advantage over fort hoppers. If you want those big epic fights you can just re initiate it over and over and over again instead of jumping from server to server to server.

Although I'm not to particular about keeping meg/kraken out. If done right players will be fighting all day and they'll never worry about the lack of "content". They could add some options in like enable/disable kraken/meg/ccbs/controller only etc...

Increase player count, or decrease map size

Shouldn't be hard to run into others... like it is now. I wouldn't mind if the running into other players was actually 15/20 mins... it sometimes feels closer to 2-3 hours.

Separate reputation and a new ranking system

Obviously people on the "PvE" servers should have a different progression + ranking for matching players up appropriately. One could argue that there should be some ranking system already in place... since that is an important part of any game that has PvP to any extent...

Nothing has come close to the pure joy that is fighting other players in this game. I want to keep that aspect of the game that world PvP creates. Its the funnest messes I've ever been apart of since golden eye. I think for people that enjoy action this game just doesn't do enough to curate those moments. There is a lot of wiggle room in the idea. You could make it round based with 3 maps already on the wheel and just let a bunch of players fight over 3 chests... or not, just introduce new jobs on a bulletin board as players are playing. They can play with the numbers a bit, force players into bottlenecks or just throw lots of voyages at players leaving room to be non confrontational.

If they wanted to be overachievers.. you could have even more fun with this, everyone is in a solo instance until they pick up a voyage, its effectively like round based matches but hidden. You grab a voyage that other players have already put down and dynamically join their server. Its kind of like this rumor I read about for star citizen, about 76 years ago when the game was announced, where you'd dynamically be matched while in hyperspace drop out and have a PvP battle. But this would be making it explicitly a fight over every piece of loot.

Obviously depending on the details could make it purely confrontational, to something similar to what we have now with higher chances of running into players. Rare needs to find a way to bring PvP into focus without it being detrimental to the more friendly player base. They need to do it before us PvPers are gone. They are in luck! There is nothing on the horizon that is tickling my fancy, so they have more time then deserved. But I definitely won't be able to endure the slog of a game forever because the fun aspects of it have become significantly harder to find as time goes on.

Views
  • @savagetwinky As much as i agree with you that PvP needs some love i don't think having a PvP only server would solve the issue, much in the same way that a PvE server deals with this issue. I do agree that there is an inherent issue with the relationship between PvE and PvP as it they both center around 2 different Goals and satifies 2 very different styles of gameplay instead of sharing a common tread. I do belive there should be more enffices over competing over loot but sperating the player base to do it doesn't is in direct conflict with the philosphy of this game. Could this be done? Yes
    Would this make many players Happy? Yes
    Would this be an admission of failure? Absolutely
    There must be better options then to just give up on the PvEvP arena idea which is the foundation of this game.

• @enf0rcer It's not giving up on the PvEvP idea just accepting that 1. not everyone is into that, and 2. the way it's implemented now needs alot of work.
    Having a PvE server would be the easiest way to deal with the problem in the short term, but it's also just a good option to provide players in general. Not only would it give people who just want to sail in relative peace and PvE a much improved experience, but PvPers like myself would also benefit by making it so that only people who want to PvP are in the PvP servers. Heck even I would probably use PvE servers every now and then if I want to fight skull forts without the annoyance of other ships showing up every 2 min.
    A PvP game mode would also be very cool and I would pref that personally. Having a TDM style mode 3v3 sloops, 2v2 galleons or something would be a ton of fun, and provide much more value for my time than what I currently have to do to find a fight in this game(I'm using "fight" very loosely in this context lol).

• I think that rather than a whole separate PvP mode per se, more incentive for PvP through world objectives would be better.
    Now this might annoy the PvE crowd, but I saw a suggestion on these forums for a cursed chest which the person labelled as the "Reaper Chest", which would work much like the reaper flag marking the location on the map for everyone of current chest's whereabouts. Maybe this chest could hold cosmetic items as well as a large sum of coin, though give it a reward that makes players want to head towards this objective.
    I think a couple of ideas like this would be cool.
    Maybe another idea is a "reaper voyage" which could be found in the world, this would mark the location of the ship and/or players involved in the group on the map and have large coin rewards (maybe even say 5 dubloons) for completion too. The key to this would be that the voyage could be stolen by other players.

I think there are many good PvP ideas that could be explored, still made optional for people to pick up or start within the current world.

• @betsill said in PvP "Mode" based around limiting loot, server wide objectives.:

@enf0rcer It's not giving up on the PvEvP idea just accepting that 1. not everyone is into that, and 2. the way it's implemented now needs alot of work.
    Having a PvE server would be the easiest way to deal with the problem in the short term, but it's also just a good option to provide players. Not only would it give people who just want to sail in relative peace and PvE a much improved experience, but PvPers like myself would also benefit by making it so that only people who want to PvP are in the PvP servers. Heck even I would probably use PvE servers every now and then if I want to fight skull forts without the annoyance of other ships showing up every 2 min.

That's just it. It is a short term solution that only deals with releving the syptoms of the issues and not adressing the problem itself. Allowing for a PvP server by it's nature would also be making a PvE server spliting the game and giving up on the PvEvP idea. In the TC The Devision there was a single player mode/area and the PvPvE mode area. This game is entirely PvEvP based, Could it benifit from a sepreat area? The answer is clearly yes but the fact is that it is in direct conflict with the Core Concept and Design Philosphy of sepreating the playerbase. Now you can disagree with the Philospy as it was poor implement and failed at answering and dealing with basic player interaction issues, but i personally think this type of Philosphy is ultimately benificial as it seeks to tear down artifical walls and allow all types of players and playstyles to co-exist in a single playground. This is still a relitively new concept espically in the AAA market and has yet to be fully relized. It still remains to be proven how practical it is however i remain optimistic as this kind of gameplay shows promise and hasn't completly failed.

Don't get me wrong i would love for more PvP mode/options in this game like TDM or KoTH even CTF but i don't feel like need to have sperate s servers to do that. Instead ask yourself if there are other ways of accomplishing this.

• @enf0rcer It's a short term solution, but it is also a good option for the long term IMO. When You separate aspects of a game, it gives you the ability to better refine those aspects of the game. Again, It's not giving up on PvPvE since the option would still remain. Not only that, but it should(if devs do their job) help to vastly improve the PvPvE servers which should be the richest experience.
    It's really not in clonflic with the core concept of the game again because you still have the option to play the game "properly". Tons of games with PvEvP have PvE only or offline capability such as all the souls games, Every MMo with PvP(that i know of), all mobas(that i know of), most survival games(like Ark), etc, etc. Greifing is something that every online game has and some people really don't wanna deal with it. Also, online players can break immersion(hard to feel like a pirate while some 12 year old is blaring "crawling in my skin" over his mic, and another 12 yr old is blowing himself up trying to sink your ship).

Don't get me wrong i would love for more PvP mode/options in this game like TDM or KoTH even CTF but i don't feel like need to have sperate s servers to do that. Instead ask yourself if there are other ways of accomplishing this.

There is a way actually. They could make a sort of PvP area of the map with a large port that you can sail to and sign up to battle which would merge you with players from the same or other servers for the match in an arena type area. You would still be connected to your server, but for the sake of not spending 5 hours waiting for any other crew to sail up(like in the HD and other BS "events") you would pull opponents from other servers as well.

• @betsill said in PvP "Mode" based around limiting loot, server wide objectives.:

@enf0rcer It's a short term solution, but it is also a good option for the long term IMO. When You separate aspects of a game, it gives you the ability to better refine those aspects of the game. Again, It's not giving up on PvPvE since the option would still remain. Not only that, but it should(if devs do their job) help to vastly improve the PvPvE servers which should be the richest experience.
    It's really not in clonflic with the core concept of the game again because you still have the option to play the game "properly". Tons of games with PvEvP have PvE only or offline capability such as all the souls games, Every MMo with PvP(that i know of), all mobas(that i know of), most survival games(like Ark), etc, etc. Greifing is something that every online game has and some people really don't wanna deal with it. Also, online players can break immersion(hard to feel like a pirate while some 12 year old is blaring "crawling in my skin" over his mic, and another 12 yr old is blowing himself up trying to sink your ship).

I hear what saying, I argee that both the dev and player base should evaluate the PvE and PvP components sepreately in order to better refine them , but your missing the point of my objection as this is the area that sperates this game from other titles cause of the fact it does'nt have a seperate PvE and PvP options and is strictly a PvEvP im not saying that it would completely remove the PvEvP element just it will concede that a PvEvP enviroment can't stand on it's own merit. Normally i'm all for more player options but not in this particalur case where the Goal is to try ant not seperate the player base. I understand that there are many players that do not agree with this for their own reasons. Like PC vs Xbox debate. Now can these issue be resolved without relying on sepreat servers remains to be seen, but that is the foundamental Goal and Philospy.

There is a way actually. They could make a sort of PvP area of the map with a large port that you can sail to and sign up to battle which would merge you with players from the same or other servers for the match in an arena type area. You would still be connected to your server, but for the sake of not spending 5 hours waiting for any other crew to sail up(like in the HD and other BS "events") you would pull opponents from other servers as well.

I agree with this which is why aslo support an inter server social hub. As to why the Devs has yet to fully implement this is beyond me.

• @eelporridge said in PvP "Mode" based around limiting loot, server wide objectives.:

I think that rather than a whole separate PvP mode per se, more incentive for PvP through world objectives would be better.
    Now this might annoy the PvE crowd, but I saw a suggestion on these forums for a cursed chest which the person labelled as the "Reaper Chest", which would work much like the reaper flag marking the location on the map for everyone of current chest's whereabouts. Maybe this chest could hold cosmetic items as well as a large sum of coin, though give it a reward that makes players want to head towards this objective.
    Maybe another idea is a "reaper voyage" which could be found in the world, this would mark the location of the ship and/or players involved in the group on the map and have large coin rewards (maybe even say 5 dubloons) for completion too. The key to this would be that the voyage could be stolen by other players.

I think there are many good PvP ideas that could be explored, still made optional for people to pick up or start within the current world.

Yep there have certianly been tons of great PvP idea's for incentive. To bad every single one has got shut down mainly with the same lousy excuse that it would encourage toxic player behavour to the point where i don't even know what they mean by that anymore. You did post some great ideas and i hope one day somthing similar to your idea gets implemented. I personaly advocate for a Loot hoarding objective with a rep system tied directly to a crews ship and incentives the teift of Loot that activates a time limited survival mechnic with special visual effects for the ship as a reward.

• @enf0rcer Now can these issue be resolved without relying on sepreat servers remains to be seen, but that is the foundamental Goal and Philospy.

It stand on it's own for some people and not for others. Even games like Dark souls let people play offline and the PvP from dark souls is far less intrusive compared to SoT and From Soft devs are leaps and bounds more competent designers that anyone at Rare. Maybe it can be balanced out but I really don't think so(Unless the main PvE experiences are in PvE dungeon/raid areas similar to the PvP arenas i mentioned earlier).

I agree with this which is why aslo support an inter server social hub. As to why the Devs has yet to fully implement this is beyond me.

I'm pretty sure that Rare bit off way more than they could chew with SoT and just isn't competent enough to make a game of the scale they promised us. Rare hasn't made a "real" game in 10 years, and most if not all the talent they used to have has long since left. Unless they start hiring people that can get this game on the right track i'm afraid this game might already be doomed.

• This is brilliant! I'm a pacifist pirate, a pirate who doesn't do anything, this gives the PvP players more options, so there'll be a higher probability for us pacifists not to get slaughtered.
    Additionally, it gives me incentive to try out that aspect of gameplay without thinking to myself "am I ruining someone else's day?
    @eelporridge said in PvP "Mode" based around limiting loot, server wide objectives.:

I think that rather than a whole separate PvP mode per se, more incentive for PvP through world objectives would be better.

Giving PvP players more options gives PvE players less of a chance to be hunted down. The Reaper's Chests/Voyage idea sounds brilliant. Why would a pirate hunt me down when said pirate has a Reaper's item to pursue? I would love to see a fully detailed post just for this idea, I gotta up-vote it.

• To me it's perfect like it is.
    I dont want pure pve and i dont want pure pvp.
    My Session allways have pvevp, allways!
    At Forts, at Skeleton Ships, in the Devils Roar.
    All the time i play i meet ships hunting.
    Some come for us, most sink and die, few sink us if we are not aware of and dont take them serious.
    Some days ago epic battle at a Fort.
    We defended 3 Ships, 2 Sloops, 1 Brigg while doing the Fort.
    A day later defended 1 Brigg and a sloop at the Skeleton ships. Not all sunk, but they stopped trying to kill us.

Yesterday Brigg sunk us in Devils Roar, while on an island.

All exciting fun.
    I really dont see the issues people have other than that a lot of players expect more of this or that.
    Asking for PvE only - no!
    Asking for PvP only - no!
    Asking for serious progression with a meaning and PL exclusive content - no!
    Asking for more ways of PvPvE and more content for everybody? YES!!!

The reapers chest is maybe a good idea.

Btw i never feel ganked or terrorized, if done well i applaude others who sunk us.
    Mostly on the ferry as we are all dead :-D
    Oh and i dont feel i ruin someones playsession, it was enriched when we offered the Service to bring someone else loot to an Outpost :-)

• An alternative proposal with such detail was worth the reading.

The idea gets quite complex with the degree of detail for each of the play features and scenarios.

I can't comment on the forts as we only went to a skull fort once to see what it was and were trashed within moments who were so fast, one chap boarded us said 'wanna team up' then we blew up! Did he barrel us ? I don't know it was too fast.

As for PvP positives I can understand why, if you enjoy it, you want a more positive experience. I'd like to see the game balance crews (within bands) so the everybody gets a better experience, those that excell at PvP and those that don't. I don't think the two modes should be separated as the 'theivery' is a core concept to the game. But most people generally want something better.

• @eelporridge said in PvP "Mode" based around limiting loot, server wide objectives.:

There is no real incentive system that will make the gameplay engaging for PvP. I already sail around and just gank people.

The 2 most problematic issues we PvPers run into are not enough people, and lots of new players on sloops. Many of us don't care about value... we just want that engaging gameplay. I've had entire crews ditch fort loot because it took to long to turn in. It doesn't matter what the McGuffin is, if your willing to defend it, we are willing to fight over it. Even planks are up for grabs.

• @enf0rcer said in PvP "Mode" based around limiting loot, server wide objectives.:

@betsill said in PvP "Mode" based around limiting loot, server wide objectives.:

@enf0rcer It's not giving up on the PvEvP idea just accepting that 1. not everyone is into that, and 2. the way it's implemented now needs alot of work.
    Having a PvE server would be the easiest way to deal with the problem in the short term, but it's also just a good option to provide players. Not only would it give people who just want to sail in relative peace and PvE a much improved experience, but PvPers like myself would also benefit by making it so that only people who want to PvP are in the PvP servers. Heck even I would probably use PvE servers every now and then if I want to fight skull forts without the annoyance of other ships showing up every 2 min.

That's just it. It is a short term solution that only deals with releving the syptoms of the issues and not adressing the problem itself. Allowing for a PvP server by it's nature would also be making a PvE server spliting the game and giving up on the PvEvP idea. In the TC The Devision there was a single player mode/area and the PvPvE mode area. This game is entirely PvEvP based, Could it benifit from a sepreat area? The answer is clearly yes but the fact is that it is in direct conflict with the Core Concept and Design Philosphy of sepreating the playerbase. Now you can disagree with the Philospy as it was poor implement and failed at answering and dealing with basic player interaction issues, but i personally think this type of Philosphy is ultimately benificial as it seeks to tear down artifical walls and allow all types of players and playstyles to co-exist in a single playground. This is still a relitively new concept espically in the AAA market and has yet to be fully relized. It still remains to be proven how practical it is however i remain optimistic as this kind of gameplay shows promise and hasn't completly failed.

We haven't given up on the PvPvE idea at all. The PvE server would be ideal for new players where confrontation 100% a choice on the players. A PvP server tries to curate confrontations in the context of the same voyage gameplay. There is little difference in how you'd approach the game, except now all loot in the game can be contested, before, after, during someone picking it up.

An easy addition to this is if you don't have the voyage they are working on when you kill them, you should be able to copy it off the map table. So killing someone while they are digging up a chest is still a way to take their chest.

• @stundorn said in PvP "Mode" based around limiting loot, server wide objectives.:

To me it's perfect like it is.
    I dont want pure pve and i dont want pure pvp.
    My Session allways have pvevp, allways!
    At Forts, at Skeleton Ships, in the Devils Roar.
    All the time i play i meet ships hunting.
    Some come for us, most sink and die, few sink us if we are not aware of and dont take them serious.
    Some days ago epic battle at a Fort.
    We defended 3 Ships, 2 Sloops, 1 Brigg while doing the Fort.
    A day later defended 1 Brigg and a sloop at the Skeleton ships. Not all sunk, but they stopped trying to kill us.

Yesterday Brigg sunk us in Devils Roar, while on an island.

All exciting fun.
    I really dont see the issues people have other than that a lot of players expect more of this or that.
    Asking for PvE only - no!
    Asking for PvP only - no!
    Asking for serious progression with a meaning and PL exclusive content - no!
    Asking for more ways of PvPvE and more content for everybody? YES!!!

The reapers chest is maybe a good idea.

Btw i never feel ganked or terrorized, if done well i applaude others who sunk us.
    Mostly on the ferry as we are all dead :-D
    Oh and i dont feel i ruin someones playsession, it was enriched when we offered the Service to bring someone else loot to an Outpost :-)

Well I didn't ask for PvP only! All the PvP "mode" is the same game with limited features and shared voyages.

• @nefnoj said in PvP "Mode" based around limiting loot, server wide objectives.:

This is brilliant! I'm a pacifist pirate, a pirate who doesn't do anything, this gives the PvP players more options, so there'll be a higher probability for us pacifists not to get slaughtered.
    Additionally, it gives me incentive to try out that aspect of gameplay without thinking to myself "am I ruining someone else's day?
    @eelporridge said in PvP "Mode" based around limiting loot, server wide objectives.:

Giving PvP players more options gives PvE players less of a chance to be hunted down. The Reaper's Chests/Voyage idea sounds brilliant. Why would a pirate hunt me down when said pirate has a Reaper's item to pursue? I would love to see a fully detailed post just for this idea, I gotta up-vote it.

The biggest problem with this idea though is incentives wouldn't really help while the limited number of players means there is no guarantee you'll be utilizing PvP mechanics with other PvP players. The reaper flag turned out to be kind of useless...

• @enf0rcer said in PvP "Mode" based around limiting loot, server wide objectives.:

Yep there have certianly been tons of great PvP idea's for incentive. To bad every single one has got shut down mainly with the same lousy excuse that it would encourage toxic player behavour to the point where i don't even know what they mean by that anymore. You did post some great ideas and i hope one day somthing similar to your idea gets implemented. I personaly advocate for a Loot hoarding objective with a rep system tied directly to a crews ship and incentives the teift of Loot that activates a time limited survival mechnic with special visual effects for the ship as a reward.

What they mean is people would go on gank sprees to invoke w/e PvP mechanics there are.

Loot hoarding is a bad idea, its not fun and another time consuming mechanic in a game that horribly time consuming. Part of my idea would try to make playing in hour long sessions fun and filled with combat. You get that experience now if you put 12 hours in the game...

• For the same reasons as a PVE servers, PVP servers should of course be rejected.

• @goedecke-michel said in PvP "Mode" based around limiting loot, server wide objectives.:

For the same reasons as a PVE servers, PVP servers should of course be rejected.

All the same reasons can't be applied here. The only real valid reason to not want PvE servers is so the development insn't split between PvE and PvP. All this is attempting to do is take the same PvPvE game and make it easier to find people and more confrontational. A tighter experience around PvP where the sandbox can still be the main focus for PvP.

• @savagetwinky You lost me at Limit Ship Types. The best part of the game is sinking a Galleon with a Sloop. No one is forced to play a Sloop. Keeping Sloops away from Galleons is the worst idea.

As for Alliances, hated them at first, now i don't care. It's just one more way to infiltrate and backstab and creates tons of scenarios and situations and options.

• @trickrtreat01 said in PvP "Mode" based around limiting loot, server wide objectives.:

@savagetwinky You lost me at Limit Ship Types. The best part of the game is sinking a Galleon with a Sloop. No one is forced to play a Sloop. Keeping Sloops away from Galleons is the worst idea.

As for Alliances, hated them at first, now i don't care. It's just one more way to infiltrate and backstab and creates tons of scenarios and situations and options.

So continue playing the normal mode. The entire point of this is to set up more even fights, more often. Your not going to be fighting trash gal crews if its ranked.

As a avid PvP galleon player, sloops are a cancer. You just keep stomping on them and they keep coming back.

• @savagetwinky sagte in PvP "Mode" based around limiting loot, server wide objectives.:

@trickrtreat01 said in PvP "Mode" based around limiting loot, server wide objectives.:

@savagetwinky You lost me at Limit Ship Types. The best part of the game is sinking a Galleon with a Sloop. No one is forced to play a Sloop. Keeping Sloops away from Galleons is the worst idea.

So continue playing the normal mode. The entire point of this is to set up more even fights, more often. Your not going to be fighting trash gal crews if its ranked.

As a avid PvP galleon player, sloops are a cancer. You just keep stomping on them and they keep coming back.

i once thought about a matchmaking based on playerkills and accuracy.
    Many playerkills matches with other players with many playerskills for example and very accurate pk's match with other accurate pk's.
    I think this would be the best method to "save" some pacifists from the most dread pirates and the most dread pirates would more often meet other dread pirates.

• @stundorn said in PvP "Mode" based around limiting loot, server wide objectives.:

@savagetwinky sagte in PvP "Mode" based around limiting loot, server wide objectives.:

@trickrtreat01 said in PvP "Mode" based around limiting loot, server wide objectives.:

i once thought about a matchmaking based on playerkills and accuracy.
    Many playerkills matches with other players with many playerskills for example and very accurate pk's match with other accurate pk's.
    I think this would be the best method to "save" some pacifists from the most dread pirates and the most dread pirates would more often meet other dread pirates.

Not really, pacifists could be decent PvPers and still get ganked. Or bad players could be hostile and constantly gank other bad players.

The problem is 2 groups of players wanting slightly different experiences from voyaging. I don't want to save pacifists at all, I want them to keep playing the same game they are playing now. I want to keep that sandbox intact for people that enjoy it.

But some of us just want to cut out all the mundane tasks and just have fun fighting over treasure, racing to islands to pick it up, being sneaky to take it out from under another crew. I can't do that if I'm spending 15+ minutes hunting down skeletons or X marks the spots, then sailing around alone for 45 minutes... only to find a sloop we just roll over in 3 seconds.

• @savagetwinky said in PvP "Mode" based around limiting loot, server wide objectives.:

@enf0rcer said in PvP "Mode" based around limiting loot, server wide objectives.:

What they mean is people would go on gank sprees to invoke w/e PvP mechanics there are.

I understand what toxic player behavor is, but the way in which people use the term is the problem as it losses it's meaning and instead is an obetrary objection to anything PvP related.

Loot hoarding is a bad idea, its not fun and another time consuming mechanic in a game that horribly time consuming. Part of my idea would try to make playing in hour long sessions fun and filled with combat. You get that experience now if you put 12 hours in the game...

I'm sorry if you don't find idea of Loot hoarding fun, but many other games have done this successfuly and in a game where loot should matter it is a the ideal mechnic for this game. As Priates used to hoard loot and stash it away plus because loot is designed to be stolen it only makes sense to encourage ships to keep loot onboard so that it could be stolen.

I would also like to inform you that i have played very long session of SOT with my personal record of 22 hours straight on a single unsunk Gally. The fact that all the loot in this game only amounts to something you untimatly sell which amounts to a series of fecth quest is one the main crutiques of this game.

Finally your argument that this game is time consuming yet you want to encourage players to play longer session is circluar logic. Just wanted to point that out. But we both want the same thing which is to encourage more PvP interactions and make enjoyable experiance just in different ways.

@savagetwinky said in PvP "Mode" based around limiting loot, server wide objectives.:

@enf0rcer said in PvP "Mode" based around limiting loot, server wide objectives.:

I understand what toxic player behavor is, but the way in which people use the term is the problem as it losses it's meaning and instead is an obetrary objection to anything PvP related.

It hasn't lost its meaning. The problem is without clear structure for PvP its indistinguishable. The distinction is intent, but intent really doesn't matter if the behavior is toxic or not. I want PvP... so I've resorted to looking for free planks on other people's ships and killing every sloop I come into contact with until they flee my server and worthy opponents show up.

I'm sorry if you don't find idea of Loot hoarding fun, but many other games have done this successfuly and in a game where loot should matter it is a the ideal mechnic for this game. As Priates used to hoard loot and stash it away plus because loot is designed to be stolen it only makes sense to encourage ships to keep loot onboard so that it could be stolen.

Again I pointed out why its a bad mechanic. Not all other games have this type of time sink... and it doesn't solve the problems inherent with the time sink and lack of player involvement with each other. The problem isn't that people don't have loot, its that they aren't playing to PvP regardless how much loot they have on board. Someone literally offered an athena's and just asked to be in an alliance for the turn in when we attacked them.

I would also like to inform you that i have played very long session of SOT with my personal record of 22 hours straight on a single unsunk Gally. The fact that all the loot in this game only amounts to something you untimatly sell which amounts to a series of fecth quest is one the main crutiques of this game.

So? No one said you can't play long sessions. Fetch quests are fun if there is something regularly trying to stop you from fetching it. Its like saying mario is filled with running and jumping and calling... sure if the level was flat and not filled with enemies, then running and jumping is pointless.

The vast majority of fetch quests feel like that... empty... sail to an island, pick up some loot, sail to the next island, pick up some loot. Nothing exciting or interesting happening 90% of the time.

Finally your argument that this game is time consuming yet you want to encourage players to play longer session is circluar logic. Just wanted to point that out. But we both want the same thing which is to encourage more PvP interactions and make enjoyable experiance just in different ways.

I'm not encouraging players to play long sessions. You've just made up something in your head which I can't defend against because I don't know about it. I literally am stating your idea is bad because it expects players to slog out voyages and amass loot which requires time... lots of time.

Just imagine amassing loot for higher value in the context of alliances... you haven't changed anything. You just made a way for people who spend 2-3 + hours a day farming to increase the value of their loot... there still is no incentive to PvP.

• @savagetwinky First, I appreciate the feedback and the time you took to think of and make this suggestion. I hope you continue to do so :)

Personally I don't agree. At this point it's not even Sea of Thieves anymore. I also don't want to see the regular servers dry up as people leave to play these PvP servers.

I'm all for enhancing the PvP experience but it needs to be done in a way that does not promote PvP over PvE or else we may see friendly encounters decrease dramatically. Both playstyles should be enhanced together so that every encounter on the sea is a potentially unique experience.

• @savagetwinky said in PvP "Mode" based around limiting loot, server wide objectives.:

@savagetwinky said in PvP "Mode" based around limiting loot, server wide objectives.:

It hasn't lost its meaning. The problem is without clear structure for PvP its indistinguishable. The distinction is intent, but intent really doesn't matter if the behavior is toxic or not. I want PvP... so I've resorted to looking for free planks on other people's ships and killing every sloop I come into contact with until they flee my server and worthy opponents show up.

I agree that PvP has no clearly define structure, I'm saying that any suggestion given to attempt to give a structure is often met with the toxic player behavor objection.

Again I pointed out why its a bad mechanic. Not all other games have this type of time sink... and it doesn't solve the problems inherent with the time sink and lack of player involvement with each other. The problem isn't that people don't have loot, its that they aren't playing to PvP regardless how much loot they have on board. Someone literally offered an athena's and just asked to be in an alliance for the turn in when we attacked them.

If it purely a time issue this can be easily be resolved with a limiter. The loot hoarding objective is not the Goal but the structure for the Goal to be met. The Goal being to encourage players to steal eachothers loot. Where by the players who have the most time sunk in the game become more easily indentifyable and a worthy target so players who just entered the session. It would foundalmentaly change the META of the game in terms of PvP. The reason why players don't PvP with loot onboard is cause the game itself doesn't give a reason to do it and is a risk with no reward therefore the goal is to avoid PvP not engage in it. A Loot Hoarding objective with an attached reward solves these issues as gives players both a reason to defend there loot while also stealing loot from others. Also making the fastest way to hoard loot would be by stealing it from other players making the fetch part more dangerous.

So? No one said you can't play long sessions. Fetch quests are fun if there is something regularly trying to stop you from fetching it. Its like saying mario is filled with running and jumping and calling... sure if the level was flat and not filled with enemies, then running and jumping is pointless.

But thats just it the obsticals in this game are other players so you have to give them a reason to be in opposition. Like i said above this type of objective solve this issue as it gives players a reason and directive to go after eachothers loot. It's just the framework not the end product it requires the other parts i suggest for it to function.

The vast majority of fetch quests feel like that... empty... sail to an island, pick up some loot, sail to the next island, pick up some loot. Nothing exciting or interesting happening 90% of the time.

I agree and i feel the focus of PvP should be to steal loot not just sink ships and maybe steal a few resourses but cause it is very easy to avoid engagements and is heavily incentivesed to turn in your loot the vast majority of engagement result in ship with liitle or no loot on board. Not to mention there is no way of telling if a ship even has loot till it's engaged.

I'm not encouraging players to play long sessions. You've just made up something in your head which I can't defend against because I don't know about it. I literally am stating your idea is bad because it expects players to slog out voyages and amass loot which requires time... lots of time.

I apologize if i miss read your statment. Althou you clear miss the point of my argument as well as my suggestion in it's entirity would acutally encourage player to take the short route by stealing the vast amount of loot from eachothers ships not just endless collecting loot on islands just to turn it in.

Just imagine amassing loot for higher value in the context of alliances... you haven't changed anything. You just made a way for people who spend 2-3 + hours a day farming to increase the value of their loot... there still is no incentive to PvP.

I never said to give loot higher value for amassing it. We both are guilty of making stuff up. But you are correct in on repsect the hoarding of loot in an of itself is not the incentive. That why you need a reputation system tied to the ship along with some added effect to loot for hoarding it and reward to be gained by surving for a set amount of time with a game mechnic to ouline and indentify your ship as a target to the rest of the server displaying how long you survived. It would be adding a whole PvP obejective structure that is clearly defind and works intandem with the fetch style objective we already have. Instead of sperating the two. Both are set to the same Goal of collecting loot. It's is an objective based PvP instead of stright TDM or FFA DM.

• @xcalypt0x said in PvP "Mode" based around limiting loot, server wide objectives.:

@savagetwinky First, I appreciate the feedback and the time you took to think of and make this suggestion. I hope you continue to do so :)

Personally I don't agree. At this point it's not even Sea of Thieves anymore. I also don't want to see the regular servers dry up as people leave to play these PvP servers.

I'm all for enhancing the PvP experience but it needs to be done in a way that does not promote PvP over PvE or else we may see friendly encounters decrease dramatically. Both playstyles should be enhanced together so that every encounter on the sea is a potentially unique experience.

How is it not Sea of Thieves any more?

And how do you promote PvP without causing friendly encounters to decrease dramatically. That is actually the point of promoting PvP...

• Skimmed through the thread but tbh after halo 3 idk why more games dont have a custom games and a forge/map editor mode.

Its like taking a game that may be somewhat simple or have a smaller number of moving parts and gives it exponential potential for unique gameplay or added fun once its in the hands of millions of players who put the time in to figuring out all the intricacies of the physics and what can happen with different settings.

Imo a game like SoT would actually have the “new and interesting ways to play” being found/created by players every day, with the same assets the game has now, if they embraced this idea of giving more options to players with the game they have designed.

• @savagetwinky

Because you're stripping out ship types, alliances, MA, meg, kraken, skeleton ships, forts, and portions of the map. That's barely a game at that point...

And how do you promote PvP without causing friendly encounters to decrease dramatically. That is actually the point of promoting PvP...

You don't. That's why I said enhance PvP, and then enhance PvE equally. Make PvP more appealing for people than it currently is but don't make it more appealing than PvE. Once the players are encouraged to do one thing over another in a sandbox it kills it.

@betsill said in PvP "Mode" based around limiting loot, server wide objectives.:

We haven't given up on the PvPvE idea at all. The PvE server would be ideal for new players where confrontation 100% a choice on the players. A PvP server tries to curate confrontations in the context of the same voyage gameplay. There is little difference in how you'd approach the game, except now all loot in the game can be contested, before, after, during someone picking it up.

An easy addition to this is if you don't have the voyage they are working on when you kill them, you should be able to copy it off the map table. So killing someone while they are digging up a chest is still a way to take their chest.

This is a good idea but i fail to see why a seprate server is necceary to facilitate adding this function also in a PvEvP eviroment PvP isn't supposed to be optional just like PvE both elements exist simultanously. It's how you choose to deal with situations is a choice. Just like in a multiplayer area you can't opt out of players figthing you, In the same way in a single player or co-op campaign you can't opt out of being attack by the A.I. The problem is that the PvE and PvP in this game are not structured to co'exist cause they both focus on 2 different goals with different styles of play instead of sharing a common Goal and META gamplay. New player need to learn how to defend themselves and learn the tactics but can only do so by etheir the game dirictly teaching them or being exposed to high level and skilled players. Sepreate server will deprive them of this.

• @xcalypt0x said in PvP "Mode" based around limiting loot, server wide objectives.:

@savagetwinky

Because you're stripping out ship types, alliances, MA, meg, kraken, skeleton ships, forts, and portions of the map. That's barely a game at that point...

First off, by that measure its already barely a game because none of the mechanics in question really add any depth. How do any of these mechanics make sea of thieves sea of thieves? None of these things take up a significant portion of time for players. They are minor mechanics at best that rarely add to the adventure.

Ship types are because they aren't important to the experience and mostly because its detrimental with the imbalance especially if PvP is focused.

meg/kraken, as I pointed out mostly optional, not strong either way. They are random obstacles you may or may not want to partake in, and a lot of people just find them nuisances.

Forts and other events were proposed to redesign as player driven events, not outright removal. This wouldn't work with alliances if you could keep invoking skelly ships and share all the loot.

Alliances weren't in the normal game, they seem to be a band aid to help fix the overwhelming grind because thats all players can really focus 90% of their time on if they aren't fighting each other.

You don't. That's why I said enhance PvP, and then enhance PvE equally. Make PvP more appealing for people than it currently is but don't make it more appealing than PvE. Once the players are encouraged to do one thing over another in a sandbox it kills it.

You can't do that, your just arguing semantics. Enhancing or w/e will just make PvP more likely to happen... its all the same. The problem is the current framework for PvE its borderline griefing. Which is why I'm suggesting tweak the PvE design to make PvP are more core part of that experience. It enhances both PvE and PvP.

You'll never fix the PvP issues unless you make fighting over loot the point of the PvE... or... separate PvP entirely into a separate layer... so people that engage in it will get more PvP. There is no way to balance bounty systems or other "hoarding" mechanics with 6 crews on a server... you'll always have this disconnect from someone just casually doing some PvE and someone ruining their day hoarding gold and getting the biggest bounty they can achieve while they slaughter 5 other crews on the server.

This is a good idea but i fail to see why a seprate server is necceary to facilitate adding this function also in a PvEvP eviroment PvP isn't supposed to be optional just like PvE both elements exist simultanously. It's how you choose to deal with situations is a choice. Just like in a multiplayer area you can't opt out of players figthing you, In the same way in a single player or co-op campaign you can't opt out of being attack by the A.I. The problem is that the PvE and PvP in this game are not structured to co'exist cause they both focus on 2 different goals with different styles of play instead of sharing a common Goal and META gamplay. New player need to learn how to defend themselves and learn the tactics but can only do so by etheir the game dirictly teaching them or being exposed to high level and skilled players. Sepreate server will deprive them of this.

Its just a separate mode. Servers seem to be on demand and there is no reason options shouldn't be given to slightly different play styles. So long as most of the PvPvE game stays intact we should be able to compromise.

Its just a separate mode. Servers seem to be on demand and there is no reason options shouldn't be given to slightly different play styles. So long as most of the PvPvE game stays intact we should be able to compromise.

So your not advocating for a sepreate instance but rather somthing akin to a quest/voyage within the PvEvP playspace? If so i would have no issue with this. If not can you elaborate on this a bit more.

I total agree with this statment but it also goes the othere way around. I feelt the devs focused to much on ehancing the PvE experiance to the deteriment of PvP. While they did add a few things to "improve" PvP for better or worst depening on who ask. They did not solve the core issue with PvP instead going on the philosphy that improvement to PvE adds to PvP this is simply not true. They encourage PvE over PvP hurting the sandbox. Both should be made on par with eachother. This currently doesn't exist which is why when new content drops everyone rush to get thru all the PvE content and those who don't finish get attack by the players that have.

Views
33 out of 58