What's the ideal level of water for the plants?

• We delivered plants that were kept in perhaps two or three buckets worth of water in a sloop. It was almost up to the top of the planter-box but upon delivery it said that they were wilted or something meaning not 100%.

Just wondering at what level the water has to be in relation to the planter box?
    Cheers.

Views
  • I usually just fill the boat with a little water. enough so that you can at least notice it, but not enough that it reaches the top of the box. I think the reason it said that the plant had wilted could be because you had unintentionally drowned the plant with too much water.

• @dark-henrik-22
    Cheers mate, that could have been it.
    I did dive under water with the plants when I took them to the ship but it was only like 2 or 3 seconds.

• @admiral-rrrsole
    Wish I had a definate answer for you here but I don't unfortunately. What I do is put a hole in my ship and let water in until the pot/box the plant is in is totally under water. The ship creaks and groans but that just adds to the ambience. Never had a problem. I do submerge them in the ocean on the way to and from the ship so I don't think that affects them negatively and have never used the bucket to splash them and they've all been 100%.
    Hope this helps.

EDIT: After this post I tried just 2 buckets of water in the boat but the plants wilted. Throwing a bucket over them changed the appearance and they were back to 100% again.

• I didn't know you had to water the plants. All the cargo I took to the merchants gave me the full amount without doing it.

Is it something you need to do after a few in-game days or something?

• @admiral-rrrsole

The plants need water like the pigs need their banana.

You have two solutions: either you water them from time to time, or you fill your ship until the wooden crate is completely under water.

• @admiral-rrrsole for me is half of the lower deck filled with water. Just in case. 😁

• OR... just leave them on the dock!
    I saw a pile of the wilted plants on a dock last night and it made me chuckle!

Personally I just fill the bottom of the ship with one bucket of water and then periodically go and chuck it on them as I sail along!

• We played yesterday evening and after the first plants dried out (a bit) while we had a bit of water in the ship we asked ourself the same question..

Since i don't like it when the ship carries to much water (does it affect speed?) i keep a little water on the bottom (2 or 3 buckets). And once in a while i toss it over the plants. This way the water stays in the ship and the plants are getting their water.
    We sailed for an hour this way and the plants where perfect, so i assume this works :)

• I fill mine so it covers the box or just below the edge, the rolling waves sloshes the water around and "waters" the plants while you sail, FYI I don't have definite confirmation, but I believe the plants actually "drink" the water, as I had a lot less water in the bottom of my ship than when I started yesterday on a longer cargo run...but then again it could have just been a "clipping" issue as there have been times where I'll see water come thru the bottom of my ship then disappear.

• I usually place plants below deck and fill the bottom deck with water to the top of the green line on the crate itself. (brown-ish line on Devils Roar plants). This way plants can get enough water without drowing.

• @admiral-rrrsole We keep the water almost above the plants..only about 10% of the plant sticks out above the water and we never have to mess with them at all.

• I started with one or two buckets of water in my sloop and noticed the plants start to wither on occasion, so I started adding water until it reached the top of the crate. I did a chain of Cargo Runs with a set of plants being on board for about an hour and they never started to dry out on me.

• @sshteeve said in What's the ideal level of water for the plants?:

Personally I just fill the bottom of the ship with one bucket of water and then periodically go and chuck it on them as I sail along!

I do the same, keeps less water in the boat and you don't have to manage water levels if you go through a storm.

• Thanks all, we've tried several methods including periodically recycling the water over the the plants but still lost some of their health.

I think our problem has been the boiling water, returning to a volcanic island too soon after an eruption.
    Even though the hull water was from cooler seas the heat transfers through the hull immediately equaling that of the surrounding sea to the point that your character even loses health.

This is a bit over-kill.

• We had over 15 Plants on our Brigantine today, for a few cargos of course, and 5 of them started to wilt even with the Water above the Crates, So i splashed a Bucket of water over them and they were fine again.
    But ONE plant still said it would be wilted even if it had the same amount of Water the whole time as the others.

And it didnt revover even when it only was one Plant inside that box down, i got still 250 out of it. SO if think its a little bugged

• Ok, i think i have figured it out now after my recent Cargo Run. It would seem that the plants don't actually suck up the water we all put at the bottow of the ship, instead you have to pick the water up and then throw it at the plant in order for it to recover. So all those who's plants have died even though you gave them plenty of water, it does not matter, the only way they can apparently recover is if you pick the water up in a bucket and then splash it on the plant. It's still a wise move to have water on your ship, so you don't have to jump overboard to get some more.

• @dark-henrik-22 said in What's the ideal level of water for the plants?:

Ok, i think i have figured it out now after my recent Cargo Run. It would seem that the plants don't actually suck up the water we all put at the bottow of the ship, instead you have to pick the water up and then throw it at the plant in order for it to recover. So all those who's plants have died even though you gave them plenty of water, it does not matter, the only way they can apparently recover is if you pick the water up in a bucket and then splash it on the plant. It's still a wise move to have water on your ship, so you don't have to jump overboard to get some more.

#this dawned on me as a possibility just this morning. I'm certainly going to attempt this measure.

• @blindnev Why do plants need salt water to live, it should be the other way around, they wilt if salt water hits them

• @jacknife-wilson said

#this dawned on me as a possibility just this morning. I'm certainly going to attempt this measure.

Each of us watered them using the bucket a lot last night. It was only a matter of minutes that Pete watered them and said that they were doing well before you discovered that they were perishing.
    A lot quicker than a pig's hunger for bananas.

• @admiral-rrrsole I been finding that 4-6 buckets is enough at least for when I have been sailing with them in the sloop and the galleon to allow them to stay fresh on the ship, you know you have enough since the water level will be to the first notch on a barrel
    https://i.imgur.com/mctj5Kb.jpg

Keep in mind also that the water will slosh around as you sail so it's essentially as self watering system for them with the right amount of water in the ship.

• @grimmycool said in What's the ideal level of water for the plants?:

@blindnev Why do plants need salt water to live, it should be the other way around, they wilt if salt water hits them

The waters are fresh in this sea, they only get salt around sunk ships.

• @th3xr34p3r said

That is incorrect (or humor). Wherever the water meets sand it becomes salty.
    You don't need a shipwreck to have salt water.

Thank you for the screenshot and answering the question of my op.

• @admiral-rrrsole said in What's the ideal level of water for the plants?:

@th3xr34p3r said

That is incorrect. Wherever the water meets sand it becomes salty.
    You don't need a shipwreck to have salt water.

Thank you for the screenshot and answering the question of my op.

whoosh you missed the point of the joke (I am referring to the people that throw insults and tears to those that sink them legit)

• @th3xr34p3r
    No I got it and edited about a minute before your comeback. lol

• @sshteeve I do this as well. One buckets worth of water and then pick it up and splash a few times. Rinse and repeat every few minutes.

• I think the true test is to place a plant in the hull with several buckets of water then place another plant on the deck above the first one.
    Keep watering the plant above from the water in the hull.

This will determine the best method once an for all. :o)

• @admiral-rrrsole For science!

https://media2.giphy.com/media/fqIBaMWI7m7O8/giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bc1300774684c34637f0928

I think the true test is to place a plant in the hull with several buckets of water then place another plant on the deck above the first one.
    Keep watering the plant above from the water in the hull.

This will determine the best method once an for all. :o)

Generally what you can do is as long as its not gotten to the point where the plant is in a full dead state you can just dip it in the water for a few seconds before you hand it in to the drop off point. Just need to time how long that takes at somepoint since the only real testing I have done is with the bottles of rum that are still considered in pristine condition for the commendation even with damage around the neck of the bottle like so

https://i.imgur.com/KXQEVV8.jpg

Have not bothered to do any testing with the silk since I would be assuming the same.. as long as its not in a waterlogged state the game considers it in pristine condition for the commendations.

• @th3xr34p3r
    We had a crate of silks that somehow managed to get a few wet patches whilst in the rowboat. The other two silks were perfectly dry. I'm pretty sure we got less for the mysterious patchy wet silks.
    I'll have to review the video of yesterday's game session to confirm it.

@th3xr34p3r
    We had a crate of silks that somehow managed to get a few wet patches whilst in the rowboat. The other two silks were perfectly dry. I'm pretty sure we got less for the mysterious patchy wet silks.
    I'll have to review the video of yesterday's game session to confirm it.

Yea with silks using a rowboat and especially in the devils roar you can forget about trying to hand them in dry, the old world though I have yet to have them not be dry at all and only if I accidentally miss timed a jump back to the ship from a dock when my sloops bowsprit moves back up lol

• @th3xr34p3r
    Yep, I've done the same. lol

• @dark-henrik-22 if you keep your water level in that ship high enough so it will submerge the top of the boxes when you roll left right back forth on the waves....the ship will “water” them for you most of the time.

• I've only ever had 1 plant wilt while using only 1 bucket of water at the bottom of my sloop, while doing 50+ cargo runs. Of course, this could potentially be because I only do 1 cargo run at a time, and get them done quickly, so...

• @grimmycool said in What's the ideal level of water for the plants?:

@blindnev Why do plants need salt water to live, it should be the other way around, they wilt if salt water hits them

there are such things as sea plants.

Views
25 out of 35