Dear Deckhands

• Right at the beginning: I don't want to trigger a wave of rage, no trolling, no insults. Please understand my contribution as a constructive call for help with the request for understanding - and the willingness to show understanding.

I have now "used up" three different accounts. All of them have been blocked. I wouldn't claim to behave badly myself. But from time to time cultural differences seem to have an effect. I am German, we are notorious as raw, direct. Well, we see it differently - we don't sneak around like cats. We say what we mean. Short and direct.

Sometimes my contributions are interpreted completely differently than I meant them. Unfortunately, there is often no chance to clear up misunderstandings. I receive two or three warnings that my posts will be blocked. This is where my problem begins: communication is a one-way street. If I try to explain in the topic branch, I was repeatedly blocked. The reason was I would ignore the rules and the instructions. That frustrates me.

An example, if allowed. In the context of a topic on brassiere colors, I wrote that I would prefer not to see brassieres at all. I didn't write, showing naked skin instead. Nevertheless, I was taught that I was vulgar and obscene. I actually meant that I thought showing nearly naked bodies with only brassieres were kind of obscene. Now I have no way to explain myself. Meanwhile, a forum member writes elsewhere that he would like to see the figures without a brassiere - and nothing happens to him. Knowing that I was collecting bad karma somewhere unintentionally, I tried to contact support - who promptly explained to me that if I didn't follow the moderators' instructions, this would be a reason for blocking.

Please, hopefully don't take this post again as a reason for blocking or a sign of rebelliousness. I have the following suggestion, which I ask you to consider favourably.

A kind of traffic light could show the users of the forum whether they are acting properly (green), at risk (yellow) or at the edge of a blocking (red) from the moderators' point of view. For this, negative points or positive points should be collected, which expire after some time. Because I was also blocked because I had repeatedly violated the rules - I had not written months before the last post. How should I know that I was "counted"? Knowing this, I would have engaged more to write my opinion unmistakably.

In addition, please give me a brief opportunity to explain before a blockage or an operation. After several times my contributions were changed by moderators, they were so distorted that they communicated the opposite of what I intended. If one would communicate, your contribution, as we understand it, offends against the rules, please change that, one would have a possibility of correction.

The way it is now, I often feel that my contributions are misunderstood and I have no possibility of careful rectification. I don't even have an idea about the state of my karma.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Views
  • Oh, and please, hold everyone back from seeing my contribution as an opportunity to settle up with the deckhands who are doing a hard job.

Please no answers / additions from Trolls.

• would someone please report my text to the deckhands, I have no idea how to get into an conversation. Tx. @Boatswain @Deckhands

• You should have said you would prefer the stock female character with no cosmetics equipped has more clothing on their person.

It’s nothing to do with who you are or where you come from, but what you mean versus what you actually say.

• @blam320 This was just an example and not the main point. Nevertheless, in hindsight, I know I could and should have expressed myself more clearly. The point is, you have no chance to do so.

• @goedecke-michel said in Dear Deckhands:

@blam320 This was just an example and not the main point. Nevertheless, in hindsight, I know I could and should have expressed myself more clearly. The point is, you have no chance to do so.

The fault doesn’t lie with the Deckhands.

• @blam320 I didn't say that either. Did I do this unintentionally?

• @Deckhands I don't want to force a public debate. Any kind of communication would be fine with me.

• @goedecke-michel said in Dear Deckhands:

I have now "used up" three different accounts. All of them have been blocked.

Therein lies the problem, methinks :)

edit:
    just stop what you are doing, and do things differently... it's a start?
    Maybe a better venture for your adventure.
    Remember it's nice to be nice, but the intent must be clear

Words can be taken out of context, esp. if it isn't your mother tongue, so maybe best to start on safer ground on topics you have the control of language over.
    So misinterpretation may not occur.
    You must be confident that the language you use conveys your intent to all readers.
    It's a learning process.
    I do wish you the best of luck, it's not easy, your control of the English language far exceeds mine of German. So Kudos for that!

• I think a version of your traffic light warning system already exists. If nobody says anything to you, you're in the green. If you get warned, you're in the yellow. If you get punished, you're in the red.

Here's where your traffic light analogy comes to life. If you come to a light and it's green, you continue as normal. If you come to a light and it's yellow, you stop (if you don't have time to stop then that's OK you don't get in trouble). It wouldn't make sense to argue with the light about turning yellow when you think it should be green. Just like it doesn't make sense to argue with a mod about a warning. Just stop whatever you are doing and don't do it again. But if the light turns yellow and you try to convince the light that it turned yellow prematurely, the only thing that will happen is the light will turn red.

• @goedecke-michel Traffic lights around the community would be a disaster.

Let's see.. what credibility would have someone posting with a red or yellow on him.. how would people look and take his posts seriously?

Would it be okay for the people and the health of this forum?

I think it won't.

The thing is, we have rules. Those are to follow... If not you're start to be warned, if you ignore or try to turn around those you'll be banned. Simple.. nobody needs to know about it.. it's solved behind doors.

If the problem is misunderstandings and cultural issues and the person still wants to be included, the single part needs to do something about it, not the whole community.

And I don't think multiple accounts to avoid bannings is the right thing to do.. just saying.

• You have my admiration and respect for trying to communicate in a second language. English can be particularly difficult because it rapidly changes with the culture. There are even differences between British and American English. Maybe before you submit a post check it first with a friend who's first language is English? I know that would be a bother, but it might be safer for you.

• Ahoy matey!

And to add to @pollyoliverperk's answer above, feel free to contact any of us @Boatswain 's if you want to run anything past us before posting it.

We will be more than happy to oblige!

• Hey,

aside from what the others said, which I agree with, English is also my second language (well third technically, but that doesn't matter) and if you want to improve in it, or have any questions about posting something on forums, I'd also suggest joining Discord. You seem to be a nice person and I believe it could help you a lot.

• Regarding your traffic light idea, I don't think it would work, for the same reasons a behavioral chart in my student's classroom wouldn't - if people are going to be bad, they'll likely stay there, and it would also place a kind of public bullseye on those who are lower on the totem pole as well.

• @goedecke-michel

Hey there

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us, particularly in another language.

We moderate the Forums in accordance with our Pirate Code and Forum Rules to ensure everyone’s experience here is positive and free of harassment. Our Community Managers, Deckhands and Moderators monitor content and respond to reports to achieve this.

When warnings are issued we try to offer as clear an explanation as possible so that the user understands why it’s been issued and how they can avoid another warning in the future. We do look at context and follow up posts when investigating warnings.

We do have to ensure the rules are upheld and we are always working to ensure that we’re doing the best job for our community. We appreciate you reaching out to us here but can only discuss the specifics of your personal situation with you privately.

A tip would be to consider editing your posts if discussion shows that people are misunderstanding you.

Also thanks for showing appreciation for our Deckhands and moderators. They do an amazing job and we're lucky to have them!

Views
15 out of 16