SDCC - Face paint, earthquakes, geysers, lava, ship customisation, cooking and everything that will come in Sea of Thieves

• Ahoy maties!

The devs were in full leak mode last night! At San Diego Comic Con, Larry Hryb asked some interesting questions to devs and they revealed some really nice things!

You can watch the stream on Mixer: Xbox Live Sessions | Sea of Thieves Live w/ Freddie Prinze Jr.

But if you don't have the time to watch it, I tried to write here everything they talked about on what will come in Sea of Thieves:

Brigantine

It's designed for 3 players, it will feel like a mini ship. It has 4 cannons, 2 on each side. It has a little cabin for the captain, two masts.

Naming our boat

It's a popular suggestion but it's not yet in their plan and they hear the feedbacks.

Skeletons ships

They have variety of chests on board and there is a new chest type and lot of rewards for taking on skeleton ships.

Face paint

Makeup and face paint are coming and are not too far.
    They work on new customisation, new way to express yourself and for players to be able to present theirself as they always wanted.

Hair customisation

They said hair customisation is definitely coming into the game and they are actively working on it. They want people to show up as they want in the game. You'll keep your original hair but they are adding a way to dye them and you'll be able to choose between different tones that fit best for you.

Devil's Roar

Players will have to prepare before going to Devil's Roar, it's their decision to go there.
    There will be a new outpost in Devil's Roar and only trading companies there will give voyages for this whole region.
    Sea of Thieves waters are safe waters compare to Devil's Roar because it's a geologically unstable world region. It's gonna be volcanic, there gonna be earthquakes, geysers that can erupt at any moment, lava (the water could be super heat with volcanic eruptions). Players could be hit by volcanic rocks. The gameplay will feel really different in this whole region.
    It will be to encourage players to stock their ship, it will feel like an epic voyage.
    You'll have to sail directly to this region, you won't teleport there. You could put your ship in that direction and the sky would start to dark and you will see volcanic eruptions in the distance.
    The area feel calm but when the volcanoes erupt the lightning change and you see the dark volcanic clouds coming.

Row boat

It will come in Forsaken Shores. They want the steering to be as physical and tangible as possible where players will be able to control independently the oars and maintaining the turning with left or right oar.
    You will be able to attach the row boat on your ship.

Accessibility options for Xbox players (Keyboard and text chat support)

They are looking to bring text chat and keyboard support in their roadmap and extend accessibility for Xbox players. They really want to do that but they don't know yet when it will be.

Ships customisation

They have plans in the future to offer more customisation on the ship but the image of the Brigantine accidently reveal some of that work in progress.

Different weapon types

Cursed cannonballs are coming, they are hearing the feedbacks and they are looking to bring different weapon types but they don't have specific plans they want to talk about that now.

New food

Picking meat from animals is something they are looking at.
    They are looking to bring cooking into the game as well.

Battle royal

They know people like competition and there will be in the future different ways to introduce some competition in the game but in a Sea of Thieves way. If they introduce a battle royal mode it will be something more than combat. No battle royal mode planned.

Miscellaneous

• Time spent in the game:
      They are looking on how to bring time spent in the game because players want to know how many hours they have sailed on the sea.
    • Kraken sails:
      They are coming in the future.
    • Pets:
      Lot of peoples want pets, it was their first goal before launch but they had to change their roadmap.
    • Shipwrecks other than galleon:
      No plans at the moment.
    • Skeleton figurehead:
      Maybe, stay tuned.
    • Shooting coconuts with the cannons:
      With the introduction of cursed cannonballs, you will be able to shoot something else with the cannons so it would make easier for the devs to introduce more thing in the future like coconuts.
    • Joe's mug:
      He requested to bring his mug in the store :P

Cheers!

Views
  • @skulliah great run down mate of everything. Exciting times ahead!

• @Skulliah

Thanks for posting this! Great notes too

• @sshteeve Devil's Roar looks soooo amazing, I'm really excited for this update!

• nice one, appreciate this ^

• @personalc0ffee they also liked the idea of shooting the row boat out of the cannons :p

• Really looking forward to pets funnily enough. Hopefully we get a tease soon enough. Also appreciating that Xbox text is still planned. Fingers crossed it’s coming sooner rather than later.

• Just watched the entire video. The notes cover all the big points but it's well worth watching just to see FPJr's enthusiasm and joy for the game and games in general.

• @hudson-rl

Really looking forward to pets funnily enough. Hopefully we get a tease soon enough.

Actually, we already had one 3 weeks ago. I let you find the cat in this picture ;)

pet

• Thanks for the info buddy!

• @skulliah said in SDCC - Face paint, earthquakes, geysers, lava, ship customisation, cooking and everything that will come in Sea of Thieves:

@hudson-rl

Really looking forward to pets funnily enough. Hopefully we get a tease soon enough.

Actually, we already had one 3 weeks ago. I let you find the cat in this picture ;)

pet

LOL... If that was deliberate by Rare that's a very sneaky lowkey tease! Love it XD

EDIT: also the pig is loose at an outpost? Is that a hint that pigs will be possible pets too? Hmmmm

• @realstyli oh I'd like to have a piggy but... he's gonna eat all my bananas! :O

And look behind the chicken, there is a strange new crate! Could it be the crab crate?

• @skulliah said in SDCC - Face paint, earthquakes, geysers, lava, ship customisation, cooking and everything that will come in Sea of Thieves:

@realstyli oh I'd like to have a piggy but... he's gonna eat all my bananas! :O

XD

And look behind the chicken, there is a strange new crate! Could it be the crab crate?

Yeah, interesting. Maybe the crab or another critter... I'm excited to find out what exactly

• They also mentioned something about finding row boats throughout the world and attaching them to your ship.

• @dragonsire2016

Aye, they will probably be like the gunpowders and the upcoming cursed cannonballs where you'll need to find them in the world to have them.

I really look forward for the row boat, it will bring so many new ways to have fun!

@dragonsire2016

Aye, they will probably be like the gunpowders and the upcoming cursed cannonballs where you'll need to find them in the world to have them.

I really look forward for the row boat, it will bring so many new ways to have fun!

I would prefer you had to earn he unlock for your boat, and then it would spawn with your boat once unlocked. If destroyed, you build another out of planks.

• +harpoons....
  • @skulliah

Thank you for the post! I didn’t have a chance to watch and was hoping someone would post any interesting information that was talked about.

• I'm really hoping they add new weapons and fishing.. I really want fishing. And card games!

• You can check your time played in the game at any time in xbox dashboard.

• im glad they answerd my questions about the Row Boar :)
    i hope the answer to this questions was interessting for everyone and not me :)
    im very glad the stering will funktion like LT for left Oar and RT for the right one etc.

• @skulliah sagte in SDCC - Face paint, earthquakes, geysers, lava, ship customisation, cooking and everything that will come in Sea of Thieves:

@hudson-rl

pet

@skulliah it´s not only the cat in there thats special but the crate on the right of the chickens too, it´s new and can be found on some outposts already, looks like a cage for crabs it has a smal open on the top

• @azchristopher if you missed it and want to watch the stream, it's available on Mixer: Xbox Live Sessions | Sea of Thieves Live w/ Freddie Prinze Jr. :)

@psych0-knightro they just laughed when they were asked about fishing, so not sure what it meant :P

@captain-surgee nope, only the distance sailed for Sea of Thieves.

@Saskeks thank you for your questions then :D I'm sure it will be something natural as LT and RT for the controllers.

it´s not only the cat in there thats special but the crate on the right of the chickens too, it´s new and can be found on some outposts already, looks like a cage for crabs it has a smal open on the top

I know haha I mentionned it above ;)

• The thing that frustrates me about this interview, is I do not recall a single person on this board saying that they didn't want ship captaincy. Yet, here we are and Rare is now claiming that even the most basic things like "naming ships" are not in the pipeline. I just don't understand this stuff.

• Them adding things like harvesting meat and cooking sound like a start. We need a real economy for proper piracy, and real incentives and repercussions for both sides of it.

• Mike Chapman said they want to do naming ships in the game but that there are no plans for it yet. In other words, give it time, I bet it will be added eventually.

There is just a lot of content that is taking priority and they are a smallish studio.

• @williamherschel the thing is, ship captaincy has been postponed to bring more content with THD, Cursed Sails and Forsaken Shores. The pipeline for Forsaken Shores is probably already full, so that's why they are not talking about fishing, naming our ship or other features they want to bring. They won't announced something not fully planned yet. We know they have a team working for a december update but they have just started prototyping their ideas. Now that Forsaken Shores is fully planned they are starting to reveal what's gonna be.

Anyway, I'd prefer they bring a way to name our ship in an interesting way to give it a proper meaning. They kept the shark skins for THD because it felt right to release it at that moment. They will probably release the Kraken sails when they'll give something more to the Kraken. We know they want to add legendary captains and a way for them to customise their ship, that's probably why they won't release the cannons skins, or a way to name our ships because it's still a work in progress. They will reveal they are working on it when they are sure it can be released.

• I kind of hope ship naming is linked to PL in some way... give people another reason to push for it (I'm a good bit off, and I wouldn't mind another incentive to hit it)

• @realstyli What they wanted to do initially was: you work to be a Pirate Legend, then your work to be a Legendary Captain. There you are able to spawn with your ship in the Legendary Hideout, customise it and probably name it :)

They wanted PL to be recognized far away with their ships and that's probably why they are not talking about plans about customising or naming our ship at the moment :)

@williamherschel the thing is, ship captaincy has been postponed to bring more content with THD, Cursed Sails and Forsaken Shores. The pipeline for Forsaken Shores is probably already full, so that's why they are not talking about fishing, naming our ship or other features they want to bring. They won't announced something not fully planned yet. We know they have a team working for a december update but they have just started prototyping their ideas. Now that Forsaken Shores is fully planned they are starting to reveal what's gonna be.

For the longest time this community had the understanding that captaincy was on the near horizon, until it wasn't and the company line became "they're working on other things."

At no point has this community ever said that they wanted Rare to delay captaincy. In fact, in the first couple months I think most people were under the impression that THD, Cursed Sails, and Forsaken Shores would arrive in addition to captaincy. At some point Rare crafted the narrative that captaincy was no longer on the horizon, and some people went along with that. Because this whole "content" discussion became the crazy thing that it did, the game is now being filled with a bunch of meaningless commendation grinding instead of giving users tools that would expand the sandbox.

Captaincy was a promise that the vast majority of alpha players have wanted since the beginning. There's literally a 2-page section in the Art of Sea of Thieves book that shows ship titles with placeholder "Fury of The Placeholder Text."

• @skulliah No problem pal :) i really want to have the row boat, i think it will bring a lot to the game, tacticaly and for fun of course.

and the running pic can be a hint for the requested feature to free animals instead of slayer them down if you catch a wrong one.
    If thats the case i will release a lot of chickens to an outpost xD

• @skulliah no that would not be cool

• @skulliah dijo en SDCC - Face paint, earthquakes, geysers, lava, ship customisation, cooking and everything that will come in Sea of Thieves:

Face paint

Makeup and face paint are coming and are not too far.
    They work on new customisation, new way to express yourself and for players to be able to present theirself as they always wanted.

Can someone detail what they said? I actually saw the mixer vid but I'm not english and actually cant understand well what he said after the hair bug problem.

• @amancebacabras

Can someone detail what they said? I actually saw the mixer vid but I'm not english and actually cant understand well what he said after the hair bug problem.

They said hair customisation is definitely coming into the game and they are actively working on it. They want people to show up as they want in the game. You'll keep your original hair but they are adding a way to dye them and you'll be able to choose between different tones that fit best for you.

I've forgot to mention that one, I'm adding it to my original post :)

Cheers!

• @skulliah Ty guy, but missed I something at the stream or they dont talked about more character customizations despite the hair colour?

Views
3 out of 58