My SOT themed Hurdy Gurdy

• I hunted, but can't seem to find the thread where I asked for some artwork on the kraken for my real life themed Gurdy I was working on. I completed it yesterday, so without further ado...
    alt text

Views
  • @gareeet Eagerly waiting for picture to load

• edit: link fixed

and wow... it looks amazing

• I'm having problems with the forum on mobile

Features include a custom 3d modeled and printed tentacle s crank, SOT dubloons on the body, and reliefs based on concept artwork of the Kraken and a ship icon.

I also modeled and printed add ons for the head scroll, wheel cover, and it's skull and crossbones. (this might be replaced by the SOT skull, or possibly skeleton fort key)

All told, it took about 100 hours to assemble and detail the kit.

(I should get pirate legend for this, since it was a hell of a grind... Lol!)

• @gareeet said in My SOT themed Hurdy Gurdy:

I'm having problems with the forum on mobile

It happens to the best of us so don't sweat it. All I'm keen to know is if you can play it :P

• That's a very pretty Hurdy Gurdy!

• @spunkus-skunkus I just tuned it yesterday, and needed a strap before I can start leaning to play it. It's a fully functional musical instrument, with a preamp installed, like an electric guitar.

It'll take quite some time to learn, as it's a pretty complex instrument.

• @gareeet Good luck on learning it! It's definitely a unique instrument in its own right and I'm sure you'll wow anyone who listens to it. I hope you keep up your artistic endeavours because what you've created is a masterpiece to say the least!

• That's one sweet Instrument :-) Wish I was as creative as the people who make such wonderfull stuff. I'll just settle with enjoying the crafts from a consumer perspective :-)

• @gareeet

Very nice! I just recently fell in love with the sound of hurdy gurdys when I came across Patty Gurdy on YouTube.

They are quite an impressive instrument.

Do you have any links of you playing?

• @gareeet I've PMd you the correct link, if you want to edit your post with it.

• Ugh...I wanted one of these instruments before but now...the 'want' might become a 'need'.

I shall hold you responsible when I go on a hurdy gurdy shopping spree and can no longer feed my kid.

• Very nice.

Moving this to Fan Creations though.

• @john-hatter They are VERY expensive. They are usually hand made by a small handful of luthiers, and typical wait time is a few years! That said, there is one less expensive alternative, the Nerdy Gurdy. Itscan be built but the plans the laser cut sheet designs, and the 3d printed parts are all made available by the creator, from the Netherlands. I opted for the kit so I would be sure to have everything I needed.. thats about $450. It can be assembled in a day or two, or like me, you can spend near a full month staining and detailing it.

Here's the link http://www.nerdygurdy.nl/

If you look into one, let Jaap know I sent ya. He also has a facebook group for builder support.... I couldn't have added the electronics without the help of others who had done it already.

This is the s crank development, from right to left, with the final one used on the left.
    alt text
    This is the final kraken tentacle s crank and custom 3d printed handle..you'll notice the handle cap has the kraken tattoo relief on it.
    alt text
    This is the final keybox, with reliefs of the Kraken and the ship tattoo.
    alt text

This is the original concept artwork of the kraken the relief is obtained from... it was converted to a inverted gray scale image, and used to sculpt the relief into a 3d mesh in zbrush. The ship was done the same way.
    alt text
    This is the 3d printed classic scroll head.. you see these on violins and cellos as well. I love the unique shape, but might replace it with a SOT skull at some point.. its fastened with a screw so I can swap them easily.
    alt text
    A side view of that oddly shaped scroll head.
    alt text

• Phenomenal work on this. Love the use of 3D printing. We need a video of it being played.

• Great craftsmanship! 10/10

• @gareeet Kraken piece of creative work me matey! :D

• @gareeet I can't stop looking at this. The making-of is seriously impressive. Very well done.

• fkin sic!

• This is AMAZING! I was looking into a hurdy but the fact that they cost more then my car dettered me this is a great solution.

• Simply Bad A...Z...Z ! beautiful work

• @knightx13 said in My SOT themed Hurdy Gurdy:

Phenomenal work on this. Love the use of 3D printing. We need a video of it being played.

I'll post one once I won't make people's ears bleed....lol!

• @gareeet

That is beautiful, Sir! Well done!

• that's incredible, very nice work

• That's super awesome!!

• @ve111a said in My SOT themed Hurdy Gurdy:

This is AMAZING! I was looking into a hurdy but the fact that they cost more then my car dettered me this is a great solution.

Yeah, when I saw they ran in the thousands, I was going to give up the idea, but the nerdy gurdy price is a lot more reasonable, and assuming its asssembled correctly, you could always resell it on ebay for a significant inmcrease of the kit cost.

I've already had someone ask me to make theirs, but mine took 100+ hours to complete. I just don't have another spare 100 hours...lol!

@ve111a said in My SOT themed Hurdy Gurdy:

This is AMAZING! I was looking into a hurdy but the fact that they cost more then my car dettered me this is a great solution.

Yeah, when I saw they ran in the thousands, I was going to give up the idea, but the nerdy gurdy price is a lot more reasonable, and assuming its asssembled correctly, you could always resell it on ebay for a significant inmcrease of the kit cost.

I've already had someone ask me to make theirs, but mine took 100+ hours to complete. I just don't have another spare 100 hours...lol!

OMG!!! That long! Well it really shows because it looks amazing! Now get the vid of it being played!

• @ve111a said in My SOT themed Hurdy Gurdy:

@gareeet said in My SOT themed Hurdy Gurdy:

OMG!!! That long! Well it really shows because it looks amazing! Now get the vid of it being played!

Well, thats also counting the time to model the 3d parts, print them, and then correct them to fit properly or look good.

@gareeet said in My SOT themed Hurdy Gurdy:

Well, thats also counting the time to model the 3d parts, print them, and then correct them to fit properly or look good.

oh did you go for the 3rd option or printing it yourself? That's a good way to save. What material did you end up using and what about the strings?

• Wow. Gorgeous.
    Brilliant job!
    You've made me quite envious, yet inspired. Thank you!

I play a number of instruments and would like to start teaching myself the gurdy, but, yeah, the prices are beyond what I can reasonably afford. Maybe I will look into that kit. I've been wanting to focus on something new/different and apply a bit of craft to it.
    Not sure if this is the task I'll undertake, but your craftsmanship definitely inspires me to push forward.

• @ve111a No, I bought the kit with all the parts and hardware, and then created more parts both functional and decorative. I have an ultimaker 2 plus extended, and used pteg for the additional parts.

• it turned out fantastic sir!

• @gareeet ooooh thats cool! Nice job!

• Bit late to the conversation, but do you have your custom 3d printed files uploaded anywhere? I'd love to reproduce some of your awesome work :)

• Looks really good!

Views
2 out of 39