Release Notes Discussion - 1.1.0

• @fpananaki

Ahoy mate, and thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts around the Hungering Deep Update.

You might like to listen to todays Developer Update and read the following interview, which I think puts into perspective both the content update and it's place in continuing additions to Sea of Thieves.

Joe: We've tried to give you a small crafted adventure to go along with it, and that'll be our tactic for introducing new content into the game. With Hungering Deep, we're bringing in a new A.I. threat, we're bringing in a bunch of new tools including the shouting trumpet and the flags system. They're cool because they add to the richness of Sea of Thieves. Every time you play, there will be a chance of encountering the new A.I. threat and experience the new systems. The quest will highlight the stuff we're bringing into the game.

• @endosku11 said in Release Notes Discussion - 1.1.0:

RARE - why are you so lazy on the little things?

I understand you had to work your butt off to get this out the door.

But there wasn't any of your creative design team - thinking - we should make clear descriptions of what the flags are intended for?

It's a little thing - but it would have put players on the same page - now it's use whatever flag you want and assume that the skull flag means "am pirate - will attack"

Perhaps you should have had no flag equipped at all for spawning players - a white flag should not be raised by default...

Oh wait - you didn't actually add flags for gameplay role use...

Nevermind - raise the my little pony flag - it doesn't matter - players have no use for the new flag feature other than to make the ship look "neato"

are you trolling bro? Most children understand Skull and Crossbones = Pirate ship..

• @piratecraggy said in Release Notes Discussion - 1.1.0:

@endosku11

Yip, agree. Since the forum, is the community hub.
    For something like this a "poll" mechanic for the forum would be pretty useful.
    If Rare can't make the decision, may be we should be allowed to.

Alternatively they had a twitter poll of the SoT twitter account the other day, on a unrelated matter.
    They should.... may be pushed in the direction to hold such a poll on their main twitter page.

It's their game, they made it. Trying to tell them how to make their game that's like walking into someone's kitchen and eating their food then telling them how you would have done it different. Basically, rude.

Rare did make the decision, they made the decision to have cross play on. They're not fumbling around trying to make up their mind on something they already did.

• @LILUOH Please refrain from swearing on our forums as it is a violation of our Forum rules. Your post has been edited accordingly.

Obscene and Vulgar Language
    Swearing is not permitted on the Forums and a profanity filter is in place to block it. Attempts to bypass the profanity filter will result in a temporary ban from the Forums and a final warning. If the action continues, a permanent ban from the Forums will be issued.

• Nope.
    Sigh...
    I'm not saying I don't know what a pirate flag is - I'm saying that there is more than one flag - it would have been nice to lay down descriptions for each flag that you could read in game on the description - so that everyone was on the same page as to what each flag could mean when you come across them.

While no one has to honor the flag's meaning it would be nice to have flags represent player roles -

A flag designated as a merchant
    A flag designated as a bounty hunter

Whatever - the point is to have each flag description represent a role.

@cpt-peach-beard said in Release Notes Discussion - 1.1.0:

@endosku11 said in Release Notes Discussion - 1.1.0:

But there wasn't any of your creative design team - thinking - we should make clear descriptions of what the flags are intended for?

It's a little thing - but it would have put players on the same page - now it's use whatever flag you want and assume that the skull flag means "am pirate - will attack"

Perhaps you should have had no flag equipped at all for spawning players - a white flag should not be raised by default...

Nevermind - raise the my little pony flag - it doesn't matter - players have no use for the new flag feature other than to make the ship look "neato"

are you trolling bro? Most children understand Skull and Crossbones = Pirate ship..

• @rumham636 sailor color tints are 7,000 i believe.

• After "The Hungering Deep" release i have only one question - Where is content update?
    I found only 2 hours storyline with boring sailing from island to island and giang boss-shark at the end without reasons and rewards to kill second, third... time, like Skull forts.
    "The Hungering Deep" looks like simple patch with Kraken and customization, but not a content update.
    Where is stimulation to play again and again, especially for Pirate Legends? In game great PvP sea battles, but where is PvP statistic, PvP rewards, where is PvP events? In PvP game only one PvP content - Skull fort! I expected to see the same PvP event from "The Hungering Deep", but got 2 hours storyline with boring sailing from island to island and giang boss-shark at the end without reasons and rewards to kill second, third... time, like Skull forts.
    I hope next content updates will not be like "The Hungering Deep" and we'll see stimulation to play "Sea of Thieves" again and again.

• First off, I really really enjoyed playing this update. It was so much fun to solve the riddles (although a tad tedious, it was worth it for that finale), meet new characters, and finally defeat the boss. That moment when you see that beast surface and when it charges towards you were some of the most fun I've had in this game and making people work together successfully made it even better. However, I do have to agree that once you beat the boss once, there's minimal replayability. (Spoilers incoming, if you haven't beat it stop reading) The first thing I did when we killed the shark was try to swim in it's mouth, wouldn't it be so cool if a whole belly was filled with treasure that had to be divided up and you have limited time to get all of it out before the shark sinks? I think that would be AWESOME, please consider adding something like this so that I can play the awesome new content over and over again because right now, I'm going back to missions and skelly forts in order to experience the other new content that's been added.

• So i killed the shark ... aaand thats it now ?
    Where's the reason to do that again ?

So 2 Month of waiting for 2h of gameplay ?

• love the new ai threat, but can we get the new figurehead a bit bigger please it feels tiny compared to the unicorn.

• Hey guys, you added a preview for the equipment and vanity chests, which is nice. But we need that function in the store menus -- ya know, the place where we would like to see how things look on our characters which are probably very differently shaped from the model preview.

And for the un-previewable tattoos: I'm not going to drop coin on a tattoo pack that I can't preview until after I've bought it. Why would I do that?

Like, I'm not sure why you all wouldn't implement that for the shops. That's what people were asking for: a way to preview the items before they spend their hard-earned gold on them.

It's a step in the right direction but it seems pretty off the mark given where this functionality was added first.

• First, let me say that I love this new content... and am heartbroken that it was over in less than two hours. I'm still working on my Athena rep with my crew mates while helping them with their reps til Legend, but we were looking forward to this update as a few day break from the Legendary Voyages... and we're already back on Legendary Voyages because there's no point in fighting the "AI Threat" over and over and over again.

This was a big thing that I feel you had to get right this time: content that was enticing to continue doing, something that would keep people in the game instead of only back for the day that the event starts. I have several friends on my Live Account who are going to drop this game now, it just doesn't have enough to keep them playing. I'll keep playing because I find it fun... but I worry that eventually I'll have no one to play with because people will just give up on it.

Please, PLEASE give us some solid information about what is on the way in regards to extra stuff before the next Big Patch... because right now all we got was a new instrument, new cosmetics that are rarely visible, flags which most people don't agree on what means what, and a tool largely designed to help make a group out of multiple crews for the sole reason of a single boss fight (which is absolutely fantastic, don't get me wrong).

• So, Merrick is not playing any songs for me...

• @cpt-peach-beard

I fail to see the relevance of your analogy to my previous post.
    I tell no one how to play their game, I merely suggest that the community in some easy form could agree the correct flag etiquette, and if possible Rare could assist with this process. I am sorry you completely misinterpreted my intent, and have read into the post more than there actually was.

When I say Rare can't make the decision, that is in full knowledge that they had left this decision to us, they where never going to make that decision on their use.

It is obvious we are both very passionate about the game, amongst others :-)
    If you wish points clarified... just ask, please don't jump in with both feet. I am sure this wasn't your intent.
    I have slightly edited the original post, to clarify the point I was agreeing with, with the other poster, my apologies if previously this wasn't apparent.

Anyhow, I wish you well & have a great day, see you on the seas.

• Hi ! Thanks a lot for your work ! this new campaign and threat was just awesome and we had a lot of fun doing it with other crew !!!!!
    Simple question : after the Merrick quest this DLC is finished ? I mean.... A "DLC" for 2h30 quest time and its all or .... I missed something @Lady-Aijou ? (except of new objects and cosmetics)....

• Rare, guys - go to 3 spots and read 3 books without any enemies - THIS IS NOT A QUEST WE DESERVE!!!
    I can't believe that you trying to tell us that the drum and speaking trumpet (you have it since first videos 5 years ago) and 5-6 reskins of existing models this is 2 month of hard work!

Is this a joke ? You have only one person working weekends half-time in your team ?

I can do a better quest just taping random keys on my keyboard in any mission editor...

Reskins again ? You asked the community, and we said - we need new ships, new quests and new game mechanics...and you deliver us - useless drum, speaking trumpet which is not working for ppl in 99% because of win privacy settings and a "great" quest with 4 waypoints!!!

SEA OF THIEVES - just another dead grinding quarter-game. RIP

• If you are at this point in the comments and havent beaten the boss your begging for spoilers.
    Well my crew finished hunting Meg twice now. I'm just a bit dissapointed, I got a figure head, a tattoo, and scars. No rep for killing a monster who took the legs of a well known sailor. At this point it would be more worth it to camp devil's ridge and gank shark hunters for the fun of it.
    I have no reason to offer my a assistance to a first time hunter and waste 2 hours for no rep or reward.

• All that hype for 2 hours.. C'mon guys I love this game but its got nothing keeping me.. And it was a tease to actually play with more than 4 people, but remembering that the others arent friends and i am limited to just 4 people on a boat that classically held 20 or more.

Add bigger crews and more pvp events. With rewards.

Please stop being uninsightful before you kill off your game. I'll be back on next content patch i guess..

Thanks for the figure head?

• @endosku11 said in Release Notes Discussion - 1.1.0:

Did you notice there was no tutorial for the game at the beginning? You live and learn!

• LOVED the new AI threat. It was a fun battle. Just hard enough to give you a challenge,but not so complex to find orchard to fight that it took the fun out of it. Great job!!! My only recommendations for future update would be to increase the range of the speaking trumpet and to maybe give a specific singular tattoo for defeating limited time events that you could ADD to whatever tattoo set you currently have so you could show off beating more than one event at a time. Keep up the good work! I'm addicted.

• @dirtybirdyx420 said in Release Notes Discussion - 1.1.0:

All that hype for 2 hours.. C'mon guys I love this game but its got nothing keeping me.. And it was a tease to actually play with more than 4 people, but remembering that the others arent friends and i am limited to just 4 people on a boat that classically held 20 or more.

Add bigger crews and more pvp events. With rewards.

Please stop being uninsightful before you kill off your game. I'll be back on next content patch i guess..

Thanks for the figure head?

Absolutely true.
    I was hoping for like ALOT of content, but this... 3 months (prolly more) of creating a 'huge' DLC rollout named 'the hungering deep'.
    To be honest, if every DLC will be packed with as much content as this one, I will be prolly back within like... 3-4 DLCs.
    It's a shame, pretty sad even imho. Well, I had my 2 hours of fun yesterday, that's something, isn't it?

• Missing The Point...

@wipe-nd-clean said in Release Notes Discussion - 1.1.0:

@endosku11 said in Release Notes Discussion - 1.1.0:

Did you notice there was no tutorial for the game at the beginning? You live and learn!

• What I don't understand is why everyone is trying to rush thru this (dood you gave us 48 min of fun?! WTH!). I spent 4 hours just getting the drum because we had quests down the whole time, stopping at different islands - even completing a fort because it was in our path. Have some fun along the way! Stop using Google Maps to plot your most efficient and shortest path! We had tons of fun playing songs and goofing off, digging up treasures, stopping at ship wrecks, getting all kinds of rep, etc. Ya ya I know, I can already hear you - "but we've been doing that already for 2 months!" What's great about this game is you create your own story each time you play. Stop and smell the roses, what's the point in speed running it?!

• Namnorisdog 2 Megadolon 0. Looking forward to killing it again... and again...and again... until the two weeks are up. 😀. I'm glad you made it cooperative because it forces pirates to work together rather than sinking every ship in sight.

• @namnorisdog Had a second galleon crew jump on my ship to fight the shark. Hilarious. Absolutely hilarious.

• The new AI threat has been amazing fun! Really bringing pirates together especially with that trumpet! So many more possibilities/outcomes from encounters with other players now! Considering this was a ‘small update’, I say well done! Can not wait for more to come!

• @koulik0v said in Release Notes Discussion - 1.1.0:

What I don't understand is why everyone is trying to rush thru this (dood you gave us 48 min of fun?! WTH!). I spent 4 hours just getting the drum because we had quests down the whole time, stopping at different islands - even completing a fort because it was in our path. Have some fun along the way! Stop using Google Maps to plot your most efficient and shortest path! We had tons of fun playing songs and goofing off, digging up treasures, stopping at ship wrecks, getting all kinds of rep, etc. Ya ya I know, I can already hear you - "but we've been doing that already for 2 months!" What's great about this game is you create your own story each time you play. Stop and smell the roses, what's the point in speed running it?!

I was looking forward to something new, so I went and did the something new, something I could potentially interweave into future runs of voyages... and without even looking anything up, it took 2 hours to figure it all out, get a fifth person, go and fight the Megalodon, and turn it in. That's not speed running... that's just playing the campaign.

• I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already, but there seems to be a naming mistake with the new Majestic Sovereign set.

The new Majestic Sovereign Jacket is simply called "Sovereign Jacket," and what was previously the basic Sovereign Jacket is now called "Majestic Sovereign Jacket."

Is this not incorrect?

And also, unrelated, but since I'm on the topic of clothing... I hope that the descriptions for each cosmetic will eventually be updated to be specific to that particular item.

I believe that every clothing item of a certain type (all jackets, all hats, etc.) added post-launch has the exact same description within its "category" (Bilge Rat, Admiral, Sovereign, Sea Dog) as the original sets. In fact, the only clothing items that have unique descriptions within its type are the ones that must be unlocked through reputation, and even then it's literally just a line that says, "Unlocked by reaching reputation level x in the faction."

This is especially glaring when the description only applies to one piece but not the others. The description of Admiral jackets, for example, mention adding more gold buttons, but the Grand Admiral Jacket doesn't even have one gold button. Or the Rotten Bilge Rat "Hat" that isn't actually a hat... same with the Ruffian Sea Dog "Hat" being a bandanna, and yet the description says it was used to hide a cannonball? Makes sense when you're talking about the basic Sea Dog Hat, but not when you're talking about a bandanna.

These descriptors are small considerations, but many a game world has been built in my imagination on even just one or two sentences alluding to a greater whole. Take the Castaway Bilge Rat set for example, it is very unique compared to the other Bilge Rat sets because it features what appears to be bones as buttons and a bird skull sewn into the hat. Why not have the description make some mention of this? Was that the skull of the original owner's pet parrot? Each item can have its own story!

• I haven't played in about 2 weeks or so but I've notice sometimes when I'm trying to take something like for example cannonballs it doesn't register my imput when pressing F too fast (I counted it and about 1/5 of my imputs aren't being registered when trying to quickly get some cannonballs in let's say a hectic pvp situations.) Was this done on purpose?

• Sadly I quit playing before this update but was excited for the update I love this game even though there's nothing to do in the game except fetch quests. I got back on the day after the hungering deep to actually play and have fun again. Sadly it all ended in exactly 1 hour we beat the mega shark and was let down again. Now there's no reason to play again...... I hope devs read these and hear our pleas. We need more from this game. You telling me 2 months of waiting for 1hr of a campaign. Is this a joke?.... I know I paid nothing due to my game pass but still this game is massive yet you hardly see other ships or ship types they need more ship variants options for 3 or 5 man crews with ships to fit those. This is sad and a huge let down. The role play is great but that's where it all ends for me.

• This game as every huge sandbox just need a primitive random mission generator, actual generator is poor and there is no interest because of absence of rare rewards....buying all stuff in shops is not that cool, and simply recolored items are not a rare reward!

You find random book/bottle generated on random island (stashed in box or laying on send or dropped from skelly) to go to random island/islands + random 10-50 enemies spawn ( less than 10 enemies - simple stash, more than 10 advanced stash etc.) if you have to fight more than 100 enemies it's epic quest and you will receive some rare cosmetic stash at the end...it's waaaaay more interesting than buy it in the shop

For exemple for the epic quest you may have to collect a few skulls/items from few islands and put it in round/square on last island at special place, after you will have to defeat some waves of enemies.

Accents in this game are misplaced. There is no interest in empty forts, there is no need to go fight for your reward if you can collect more in shipwrecks in less time...

This is huge, nicely done, beautiful world, but empty and dead without any interest to discover after a few days.

Sad

If I could to find some randomly generated rare loot like some small cosmetic stuff but really unique in some hidden cave/cavern - I'd turned every stone on every island every time I play.

You can also add some Fort assault missions - one team of 8 takes a fortified place(raises a flag and starting to spawn at this fort) with cannons and barrels at the hill and digging for a chests - while other guys trying to assault that hill with the support of ship's cannons and some stuff. It gonna be huge, fun and loud

• By design, no loot can give you any advantage in the game, in any way, whatsoever. FYI

• @Rare-Employee You forgot the direct keybind on the keyboard and controller for the Item Shortcut: Speaking Trumpet (PC). Please add it!

Also, text chat via chat pad and USB keyboard is still missing from the Xbox One version.

• @dwight1833

"Rare loot" it's not super annihilator nuke gun, it can just be some rare patches or differently looking clothing, pet or cosmetic items you can't buy in shops. But really remodeled, not just recolored casual item. FYI

• The Shark encounter is a friggin joke now! 5 people to summon it and you only can have a ship filled with 4? So I have to go find an extra person to come join us? Nobody is out there where the shark shows up anymore because everyone did it already! This is a complete joke. It's no fun waiting around forever in hopes that someone will show up! What a bunch of garbage! You're making this game not fun at all by making us go look for people when you barely see anyone out at sea anyways!

Views
83 out of 111