How often do pigs need to be fed?

• I grabbed a spotted pig on one voyage, and he seemed to last over a day. Then I grabbed another pig, and I had to feed him what seemed like twice in one day.

Do pigs need the same amount of food no matter their color? And how often do you need to feed them?

Thanks for any reply.

Views
  • @Fantome-of-Blue The answer to you question is the reason I never take pigs now. You feed them when you hear that god awful, punch in a feels, noise they make when they are hungry.

• @ve111a said in How often do pigs need to be fed?:

@Fantome-of-Blue The answer to you question is the reason I never take pigs now. You feed them when you hear that god awful, punch in a feels, noise they make when they are hungry.

:(

But how often do they eat? I thought I fed one pig for the day, but it's like a few minutes later he's oinking for more. Talk about greedy pigs =(

I cashed him into Golden Sands so he could be turned into bacon :)

• Too often. There is definitely no love for the piggies now. I've been seeing loads of crates left on jetties next to the MA's

• Yep, every 8 minutes (8 hours game time). Makes doing solo sloop difficult and requires someone to hang around the ship when not solo'ing. More than once have I come back to the ship with them crying only to have them die just before I get to the cage. I don't know if they die at 8 minutes or just start crying at 8 minutes. I think the cry timer is about 1 minute before they die. I think this should be a lot longer. Maybe have the pig require more bananas the longer he's left crying?

• @personalc0ffee Really? Because I swear I saw one pig get hungry 2 times before the second pig did. I was playing solo. So unless a random pirate swam by and fed my pig I have no explanation for it.

• @ecljpse My experience is that the higher value pigs get hungry faster than low value pigs.

• @fantome-of-blue
    http://surechamp.com/blog/2016/07/01/how-much-should-i-feed-my-pig/

• @ecljpse said in How often do pigs need to be fed?:

@personalc0ffee Really? Because I swear I saw one pig get hungry 2 times before the second pig did. I was playing solo. So unless a random pirate swam by and fed my pig I have no explanation for it.

That's exactly what happened to me. I grabbed one pig, fed it, and it stayed happy. I grabbed another and it cried twice before the other pig.

If it weren't for the fact that one hauled in over a 1000gold I'd complain a little more. As it stands they seem like a necessary evil for this game. Personally I prefer chickens.

• @threezool said in How often do pigs need to be fed?:

@ecljpse My experience is that the higher value pigs get hungry faster than low value pigs.

That makes sense, and explains much. Thank you.

And like the other guy said, it's like they start crying at the worst moments...right when I need to make a turn or pull in the sail to avoid smacking into a rock, beach head or the dock. It's really annoying.

• I think the feed timer is 8 minutes after feeding them a banana, but when you first pick them up I believe it's longer. So, if you don't feed it right away other pigs can possible cry twice before the new one starts to cry.

• @aliasmask said in How often do pigs need to be fed?:

I think the feed timer is 8 minutes after feeding them a banana, but when you first pick them up I believe it's longer. So, if you don't feed it right away other pigs can possible cry twice before the new one starts to cry.

That's possible. I'll have to test it. Thanks for the reply, it explains quite a bit.

• @personalc0ffee said in How often do pigs need to be fed?:

Every 8 shipping minutes.

Drives me insane.

They especially have to scream when it is the absolute worst time for them to be doing so.

Banana Disposal Machines is what they are...

Back in my day... grumble

And about a half hour ago just as I came under fire from a skeleton canon on Devil's Ridge, the pig next to me starts crying. It never fails.

Whenever I need to turn, whenever combat starts...whenever something important starts happening, the darn thing needs food.

This is really annoying. It's like the game is coded to be hard for the sake of it, and this pig thing really "gets my goat" (so to speak). Seriously, it does irritate me.

• @fantome-of-blue said in How often do pigs need to be fed?:

This is really annoying. It's like the game is coded to be hard for the sake of it, and this pig thing really "gets my goat" (so to speak). Seriously, it does irritate me.

True to form. A pig always gets hungry when an important game task arises... I just come to expect it and am pleasantly surprised when one doesn't. Due to the audio overrides in the game, you sometimes miss the initial noises when they get hungry and you can lose them that way sometimes. So im always checking them.

Sidenote: I have always believed the game has a "troll" or "make things harder" algorithm, especially with Merchant stuff.

I think pigs must have a (insert dramatic noise here) RNG component. I.e: there is a high chance they will get hungry after 8 mins but this is based on a roll that is repeated every 30 seconds after 8 mins or something like that.
    I am often carrying 2 or 3 pigs solo and they all go off at random times even if they are caught at a similar time, which leads me to believe it may be the case.
    Would be interesting to see if anyone has done any hard testing on it.

• @stevie-the-dj said in How often do pigs need to be fed?:

@fantome-of-blue said in How often do pigs need to be fed?:

True to form. A pig always gets hungry when an important game task arises... I just come to expect it and am pleasantly surprised when one doesn't. Due to the audio overrides in the game, you sometimes miss the initial noises when they get hungry and you can lose them that way sometimes. So im always checking them.

Sidenote: I have always believed the game has a "troll" or "make things harder" algorithm, especially with Merchant stuff.

I think pigs must have a (insert dramatic noise here) RNG component. I.e: there is a high chance they will get hungry after 8 mins but this is based on a roll that is repeated every 30 seconds after 8 mins or something like that.
    I am often carrying 2 or 3 pigs solo and they all go off at random times even if they are caught at a similar time, which leads me to believe it may be the case.
    Would be interesting to see if anyone has done any hard testing on it.

I think you nailed it. I started a thread about the weather last week, and one experience I had was that the weather, specifically the wind, shifted against me four times in a row when I was trying to tack to Dagger Tooth outpost. And it's not like there was a break in between and it just changed directions at the same time I did, it changed when I tacked, and back again.

So the pig thing doesn't surprise me at all, and your description of the game being a giant troll, or having a troll component, I think is right on the money.

I actually do like exploring the world, enjoying the graphics, and the occasional combat or chase, but to make the game hard for the sake of it is starting to turn my opinion here.

Views
12 out of 15