Game closes after launch

• Ahoy mates! When i start the game, the gray screen appears with the picture and then it closes on its own. No error or "too early" message, just closes. I've tried to unenroll-renroll and reinstall several times and signed into windows with microsoft account, so that's not the case. Do anyone know how to fix that? please Rare help me!
    PS: i was 3 times alpha tester and i didn't experience any problem back then.

Views
  • @deathcausergr I've had this issue, I found that if i changed my PC log in from a local account to my Microsoft Account, restarted the PC, the issue was resolved, let us know if it works for you.

• Additionally, your other option, as I have experienced this a number of times, is to uninstall and re-download and install.

Unfortunately, M$ store isn't as adept as Steam and does not have a "verify game files" function. If one corrupts, or there's an issue in the registry, there's no direct fix.

Write this on the board of "Things that better be ironed out on release when commanding a $60 price tag".

• @katttruewalker as i've written to my post i signed into windows with my hotmail account and i still have the problem

• @deathcausergr said in Game closes after launch:

@katttruewalker as i've written to my post i signed into windows with my hotmail account and i still have the problem

I fixed this problem by uninstalling and reinstalling Xbox Insider Hub.

• it seems we have the same problem(almost the same) none of these "solutions" actually work(me and my friends have the same issue and we already tried those solutions without success)
    https://www.seaofthieves.com/forum/topic/27378/client-crash-after-login/4

• @alaedhel said in Game closes after launch:

he actually have almost my same problem, none of these "solution" actually work(me and my friends have the same issue and we already tried those solutions without success)

Do you tried to uninstall/reinstall xbox hub insider ? Worked for me.

• @aenima123 said in Game closes after launch:

@alaedhel said in Game closes after launch:

he actually have almost my same problem, none of these "solution" actually work(me and my friends have the same issue and we already tried those solutions without success)

Do you tried to uninstall/reinstall xbox hub insider ? Worked for me.

yep, a lot of times, i've also reinstalled the game
    i'm already using the microsoft account too

• My gf experienced this and solved this by opening the Xbox app and try to connect from there, discovering in the process that her Microsoft account had been blocked. After verification she could log back n join the game

• @aerefr said in Game closes after launch:

My gf experienced this and solved this by opening the Xbox app and try to connect from there, discovering in the processus that Her Microsoft account had been blocked. After vérification she could log back n join the game

the account is not blocked actually :/

@aerefr said in Game closes after launch:

the account is not blocked actually :/

Ow sorry to hear that won't help :(

• Same problem here, that "discovering services" crash, without any message or something. I put a ticket yesterday, but i saw in forums that this problem was happening since the alpha.

I readed tons of post about it and there is not known solution right now. Hope they will fix it soon :(

By the way, anyone knows what does that "discovering services"??? the "signing in" text is easy but i dont understand what is the game checking at that part, updates maybe??

• @enfrikecido right, since i solved the gray screen issue, i have that too

• I have the same issue as well.
    We could gather the similarities between our systems?

Windows 10 64 bits, Version 1709
    Intel CPU + NVIDIA GPU

You can find your version with Start Menu / winver

• Getting the same here. Didn't happen during the last Tech Alpha for me at least. But in this beta, since Wednesday, I have had to uninstall and reinstall every night in order to play.

I thought that me using TeamViewer during the day might have been a cause, but didn't hop on from work today, but still no join. My desktop doesn't often power down, but from experiencing the issue, a reboot doesn't resolve it either.

I have killed off a various number of running processes, but nothing seems to change the order. Launching from either a shortcut on desktop, or from within the XBOX app both produce the same results.

Window's is fully up to date, and from what I can tell, I played it last night without issue, but this evening when I've gone to play, boom, splash screen, then back to desktop without any error/warning.

I have checked in Event Viewer, and I get the following;
    Level - Error
    Source - DistributedCOM
    EventID - 10001
    Unable to start a DCOM Server: Microsoft.Wasserburg_1.73.5774.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe!AthenaClientShipping as Unavailable/Unavailable. The error:
    "317"
    Happened while starting this command:
    "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Wasserburg_1.73.5774.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Athena\Binaries\UWP64\SoTGame.exe" -ServerName:AthenaClientShipping.AppX71nyqgwbeqtn1kt08pbebnxnwefypt4b.mca

This is an identical block of information for each and every crash I've had, be it from last night, tonight, or Wednesday.

My only working solution workaround, is a full uninstall/reinstall. This has included even moving the installation between different drives.

If the game gets to release like this, no matter how much I enjoy it, I will not be purchasing, as I have no intention of uninstalling/reinstalling it every night!

My machine specs;

Intel i7 4770k
    16Gb DDR3 RAM
    NVidia 980Ti
    Windows 10 - v1709 (OS Build 16299.192)

Additional apps that might relate;
    ESET Smart Security
    Razer Synapse
    Discord
    Slack
    Steam
    TeamViewer
    TeamSpeak
    Corsair LINK
    HTC Vive

• It's by far the worst experience i had in a beta in my life. I've seen many thing (bugs lag etc) but in this case the game itself doesnt even open...!!!

• https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_postst110840_Unable-to-start-DCOM-Server-error-starting-Forza-7.aspx

Looks like other games have experienced the same error that I'm reporting at least. Both run via the Windows Store...

• @n3o1664 As i saw at reddit, since the alpha this problem exists :(

I opened the windows event log and looking at the problem i can read its a crash from the client (AthenaClient) that i guess it's the launching client itself.

Looking at your PC's specifications, i can see it's not a Hardware problem, and i saw people with this crash having AMD or NVIDIA graphic card so... idk

Hope they will find the reason soon, i want to playyyyyyyyyyyyy :_(

• @enfrikecido Looks like some people have had luck with just completing a reinstall of 'just' the XBOX Insider Hub, so might be worth giving that a shot too.

• ok, after hours of research i found a post on reddit that solved my problem

https://www.reddit.com/r/Seaofthieves/comments/7kahl9/game_keeps_crashing_on_discovering_services_at/

in particular, this is what i had to do(this is one of the reply on the reddit post)
    "With the awesome help of the support team I managed to track the issue down! \o/ It was my Antivir Software COMODO. But it wasn't as obvious as you might think.

It has a build in shellcode injection protection that is always enabled, even if you disable all COMODO features and close it! D:

Creating an exception rule is possible but tricky so I'm not going to explain it here in detail.

Don't detect shellcode injection in these applications" If you are not good with PCs, my suggestion would be to uninstall COMODO! (Just disabling it or its features isn't enough)

feel free to ask me if you need help! [UPDATE] With every game update the folder name changes slightly so the exception rule has to be recreated if it contains an absolute folder path.

If you include a wildcard (*) in the exception rule, like:

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Wasserburg_* the rule will PERSIST."

i hope it can help someone else too^^

• I'm having this problem as well. When I try to launch beta I see a grey screen with an image, but then nothing happens.

I've tried logging into windows with microsoft account, uninstalling and reinstalling xbox insider hub, as well as any other ideas I could find, but with no success.

I dont have comodo installed either.

Really disappointed at the moment.

• When I submitted a ticket this was the response from rare.

Hello there,

When the game is launched, it runs through multiple hardware checks - looking at CPUs, RAM, Graphics Card, Audio etc. The grey screen can appear if one or more of these checks result in a failure. We have our test team looking at several options to reduce this error, so we will pass the report over to them in case they need to contact you, and close down the ticket.

There are a number of things you can try in the meantime:

Check that you have the latest updates to Windows 10 and your graphics card.
    If your drivers are out of date, it could mean that your graphics card is not initializing as it should when the game is launched. Please check that you have the latest updates to your graphics card and Windows 10 installed. Restarting your machine and launching Sea of Thieves Technical Alpha before any other programmes can also help.

Remove any old drivers, codecs or software that may interrupt the game.
    Sometimes older software packages, or updates to audio codecs etc, can interrupt the launch process. Remove any unnecessary software, codecs or drivers.

Check that your CPU supports AVX 1.0.
    We are aware of an issue with processors that do not support AVX 1.0 or 2.0. In most cases, Some Celeron processors, or those released before 2011, may not support AVX. We are aware of this issue and working on a fix which will be delayed very soon, but unfortunately not in time for this weekend's session.

Check your anti virus / firewalls are not blocking the game.
    Please make sure your personal anti virus / firewalls are not blocking the game.

Network manipulation
    Some network manipulation software is being flagged by our anti-cheat system producing a grey screen on launch. If you are using a VPN or anything similar try play the game with these turned off to see if this fixes your issue.

Many thanks,
    The Sea of Thieves Customer Service Team

• Only thing that fixed it for me was going to Apps & Features in Windows 10, completely uninstalling XBox Insider HUB and reinstalling it. Then it launched correctly and I could play again.

• I managed to fix it. What was causing the issue was a program called virtual audio cable. something i use to split audio channels using software rather than hardware.

• @alaedhel THIS helped my GF to finally start the game, thank you very much ;)

• It really was Comodo on my side too, thanks @alaedhel

ok, after hours of research i found a post on reddit that solved my problem

https://www.reddit.com/r/Seaofthieves/comments/7kahl9/game_keeps_crashing_on_discovering_services_at/

in particular, this is what i had to do(this is one of the reply on the reddit post)
    "With the awesome help of the support team I managed to track the issue down! \o/ It was my Antivir Software COMODO. But it wasn't as obvious as you might think.

It has a build in shellcode injection protection that is always enabled, even if you disable all COMODO features and close it! D:

Creating an exception rule is possible but tricky so I'm not going to explain it here in detail.

Don't detect shellcode injection in these applications" If you are not good with PCs, my suggestion would be to uninstall COMODO! (Just disabling it or its features isn't enough)

feel free to ask me if you need help! [UPDATE] With every game update the folder name changes slightly so the exception rule has to be recreated if it contains an absolute folder path.

If you include a wildcard (*) in the exception rule, like:

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Wasserburg_* the rule will PERSIST."

i hope it can help someone else too^^

You are my hero! :)

Those dummies from the new Age of Empires couldn't (and never admitted that) help me with running the game. And now I see I have the same problem with SoT. But your solution fixed it!

Thank you!

btw. even being familiar with PCs using Comodo may be problematic, but this is a good piece of software :)

• @deathcausergr do you happen to have and old amd cpu processor?

• This was sometimes casued by timeout from your windows account in windows 10 account settings. If you "refresh" your connection on your windows 10 this should stop to happen. I think it is a timeout problem for the connection of the windows account.

• @garishaphid5379 I use that program as well (VAC) and had issues, so is there a solution to get around this issue or do I have to uninstall it?

Thanks.

• @frunchtost

Helloooo

if you have Comodo (as well free version), you have to allow the "command injection" in miscellaneous section of advanced options. Yes ... like a virus ! :D DON'T uninstall Comodo, this is a good protection as this proves !

Views
23 out of 31