How did this happen???? Is this some elaborate con or simply cheating?

• Doing a duo sloop, Athena emissary. We were on our last step BEFORE receiving the "final chapter" of the legendary voyage. Two ships, a galleon and a sloop come upon us out of nowhere. They are battling, so we just try to skirt around and get out of there with all our loot. Both begin following us. We are able to outrun the galleon, but the sloop stays on our tail. We avoid our last step and just keep sailing. We attempted a few maneuvers, but ultimately they caught up to us and began attacking. They kept spawn killing, and not really trying to sink our ship. We had a megalodon come upon us and it destroyed their ship, it sank. They remained on our ship and when the meg began attacking us, between spawn killing, they patched up our ship. Then, we would respawn and find them hiding in all the usual spots on a sloop. Eventually we kill them both and they are gone. We go to the nearest outpost and immediately sell all loot. Then we go do the last step, and the final chapter of the legendary voyage begins. It's not far away, so we head there to dig up our Chest of Legends. We get to the island, and there is the sloop with both guys who had just attacked us. We assume it was coincidence. We plan to pretend we're getting stuff elsewhere on the island and avoid them if possible. While we're "pretending" their ship disappears. Like just immediately gone. So we assume they have left the server. We dig up our chest and sail off. As we are leaving we see some sweet loot in the water, way too good to pass up. We assume it was from their boat. So we stop, jump in the water, and get the loot. As we are swimming back to our ship we see a guy on ours, jumping off with our Chest of Legends (not our only loot on board, but certainly the most valuable). He runs onto the island. One of us stays with our ship and the other goes in search of him. It was Shark Bait Cove, so extremely hard to find someone on. Meanwhile I go to the nearest outpost and sell our remaining loot so I can go back and help search. While I am gone, the same sloop that disappeared shows back up and picks up the guy with our chest, headed for the outpost I am at. My partner catches a mermaid and joins me at the outpost. Within minutes they are spawn killing us again and sink our ship for real.
    My concerns are this:

1. How were they able to spawn kill us? I don't just mean we spawn, they chase us, and kill us. I mean the millisecond we spawn, we are dead. I am not kidding. We spawn and are immediately dead.
    2. How did they seem to know exactly where our chest of legend would be when we didn't even know when we first met them?
    3. Is this a con that happens? Where they log in as two separate solo sloops and then join forces to pull cons like this... I have no other explanation for how their ship would disappear (we saw it with our eyes just vanish) but the second guy would still be on the island.
    Views
    1. Sometimes your character becomes visible just before you are able to see, and can be damaged.
    2. They likely had someone hidden on the ship at some point in the final part, since he jumped off with your chest. Unless you circled the island on your map, they won't know where the emissary voyage dig locations are.
    3. No, just coincidence. They likely both saw an Athena Emissary and fought each other over it. When the ship vanished, it was likely them scuttling because they had someone hidden on your boat.
    1. blunder or both getting hits when you spawn this is pretty standard

2. People get good at prediction and surveillance and stealth

3. scuttle or a despawn due to touching land in order to deceive you

Nothing fishy out of the whole story as far as I can tell. Pretty standard athena heist from what I see here

• @d3adst1ck We actually killed both guys during the first encounter, so no one was on our ship when we got our final chapter. And, we never circled Shark Bait Cove on our map since it was one island over.

• @myfeistykiwi said in How did this happen???? Is this some elaborate con or simply cheating?:

@d3adst1ck We actually killed both guys during the first encounter, so no one was on our ship when we got our final chapter. And, we never circled Shark Bait Cove on our map since it was one island over.

You know of potentially 6 players around you while you were doing an athena

you killed 2 of potentially 6 that's a whole lot of pirates unaccounted for and that's just the pirates we know about in the story

• @wolfmanbush I would agree with you, I can totally see people scuttling their ship to do that, but their ship didn't sink. It wasn't scuttled. It literally disappeared, vanished.

• @wolfmanbush So elaborate con... got it!

• @myfeistykiwi said in How did this happen???? Is this some elaborate con or simply cheating?:

@wolfmanbush So elaborate con... got it!

I doubt it was a con in the way you mean it

You're doing an athena a lot of people are going to want it

In the chaos someone got a good tuck on you and you thought you were safer because you killed 2 players. Probably nobody knew each other and everyone was trying to fight over it and someone with some skill took advantage when they had their moment

This stuff happens all the time with athenas

• @wolfmanbush Yeah I get what you're saying. I just mean con in the sense that there was a plan that required several steps in order to be successful. And the purpose was to be deceitful to gain advantage over us and obtain our loot. To me that's a con.

• I really feel this game needs 3 modes of play...

1. Arena (but this mode needs to be tweaked)
    2. Pirate Adventure; PVP, exactly how it is right now for Adventure, except better loot, high risk, high reward.
    3. Casual Adventure; No PVP, you can't kill other players or damage their ship. You can still have alliances and share loot. You can still battle together all the regular PVE, just not other players. But, the loot is less. Low risk, low reward.

@wolfmanbush Yeah I get what you're saying. I just mean con in the sense that there was a plan that required several steps in order to be successful. And the purpose was to be deceitful to gain advantage over us and obtain our loot. To me that's a con.

When hunting athenas you gotta use everything in the toolbox

the chances of just sinking random boats that have an athena on board are very very very very very very slim. There is a whole business model in this game out of athena hunting so people are going to engage in all sorts of strategies

• @wolfmanbush I honestly hate Athena voyages more than merchant voyages. Whole Athena thing is silly. However, Athena voyage is good for double gun training on skeletons (because my OOS voyages are usually across the map and even the scuttle express can't help). So I will use them for that, and toss Athena loot overboard, or not even pick it up.

Views
6 out of 12