Is There a Spectate/Teleport Hack? (Xbox One)

• My brother and I just started playing this game two days ago so we’re very new players and are till figuring things out but we simply have no explanation whatsoever for what happened to us tonight.

In our brigantine, we got into a fight with a sloop, while also being circled by a Megalodon. Eventually we were boarded and then killed by the other players. After spawn camping us a few times, our attackers eventually left, seemingly by mermaid.

My brother and I then decided to try and fight the Megalodon just to have something to do. We were stumbling through the battle, slowly figuring it out when, after maybe 15 minutes, we heard someone over in-game voice chat say “You know you can just sail away from it right?” We were very confused as there was no one around. My brother climbed the crows nest to see if there were any nearby ships and there were not, no islands were even very close.

After a few more minutes the same person said “You know you can just shoot it with canon balls right?” Then a few moments after we heard another person say “Ooooh spooky ghost!” As if they were spectating us or were invisible and were just trying to mess with us a bit.

The next thing we hear is “Okay, we’re coming on to help, so don’t attack us.” And without there being a single ship nearby, all of a sudden, there were three players on our ship, seemingly the same who had fought us earlier. We didn’t see them climb aboard, we just turned around as there they were. They took control of the boat and sailed it to safety and helped us bucket out the water below deck. Then they asked if we were all
    good and they all walked below deck. When we went to go see what they were doing, they were nowhere to be found.

Does any of what I described sound possible at all through any known cheats? Has anyone had any experiences similar to this? Luckily these players used their ability (to seemingly spectate and the appear where they choose) for good, but regardless it seems like too much power if someone decided to misuse it. Any explanation or similar experience is appreciated!

Views
  • @gutgrinder88
    They probably were hiding somewhere on your ship.

• there is an emote that makes your character tuck, making it very easy to hide on a ship, especially on new players. That is probably what they were doing.

• @gutgrinder88 love this story! Friendly tuckers are very rare, you must be really lucky!

• What most likely happened :

They are the crew that you fought earlier. They probably realised that you were not really knowledgeable about the game and thought that it would be fun to hide on your ship and see where it goes from there. Their primarely intent was probably not really friendly. When you encountered the meg, they realised how new to the game you were and at some point decided to give you a hand.

They hide on your ship, just to help you in the end. After that they probably just logged off. It's a very nice story ! :)

• @gutgrinder88 As others have already pointed out, these characters were hiding on your ship. It's possible to hide in places that are almost impossible to notice, even if you're looking. It's not a hack. It's known as "tucking" and is a commonly exploited feature of the game. Usually the hiders will wait until you've brought valuable loot aboard, before springing their trap. In this case, it seems they took pity on you as new players and decided to help you out.

In the future, if you encounter another situation like this you'll know what to expect. My crew and I do occasional "security sweeps" when we suspect someone might have been near enough to board, or when we're about to take on especially valuable loot (like an Athena chest). That involves carefully checking all the potential hiding spots on the whole ship. Potential spots on a brigantine include the crow's nest, yardarms, around the cannons, the aft corners of the top deck, in front of the capstan, behind the map table, behind the voyage table, against the wall behind the birdcage, etc. Tuckers can also hide nearly invisibly inside a pile of loot. In spots like that, we use our cutlasses to chop around, making sure nobody's tucked there. Blunderbombs also work great. Just be careful not to knock your crewmates off the ship.

Sloops have some special tuck spots near the front corners of the top canopy that can render someone nearly invisible. Due to their size, galleons offer even more potential hiding places. Some people even tuck in plain sight, between the helm and the railing. It's crazy but it works amazingly often.

I'm not big on tucking but I've seen it done a lot on streams. A streamer called Summit1G practically made a career of it. Many others have followed in his footsteps. There are plenty of YouTube videos demonstrating this, if you want to learn more. Once you know what to watch for, you can learn to prevent tuckers from getting the jump on you.

• @genuine-heather said in Is There a Spectate/Teleport Hack? (Xbox One):

@gutgrinder88 As others have already pointed out, these characters were hiding on your ship. It's possible to hide in places that are almost impossible to notice, even if you're looking. It's not a hack. It's known as "tucking" and is a commonly exploited feature of the game. Usually the hiders will wait until you've brought valuable loot aboard, before springing their trap. In this case, it seems they took pity on you as new players and decided to help you out.

In the future, if you encounter another situation like this you'll know what to expect. My crew and I do occasional "security sweeps" when we suspect someone might have been near enough to board, or when we're about to take on especially valuable loot (like an Athena chest). That involves carefully checking all the potential hiding spots on the whole ship. Potential spots on a brigantine include the crow's nest, yardarms, around the cannons, the aft corners of the top deck, in front of the capstan, behind the map table, behind the voyage table, against the wall behind the birdcage, etc. Tuckers can also hide nearly invisibly inside a pile of loot. In spots like that, we use our cutlasses to chop around, making sure nobody's tucked there. Blunderbombs also work great. Just be careful not to knock your crewmates off the ship.

Sloops have some special tuck spots near the front corners of the top canopy that can render someone nearly invisible. Due to their size, galleons offer even more potential hiding places. Some people even tuck in plain sight, between the helm and the railing. It's crazy but it works amazingly often.

I'm not big on tucking but I've seen it done a lot on streams. A streamer called Summit1G practically made a career of it. Many others have followed in his footsteps. There are plenty of YouTube videos demonstrating this, if you want to learn more. Once you know what to watch for, you can learn to prevent tuckers from getting the jump on you.

That is a really detailed and helpful bit of info. Blunderbomb and a few security slashes, theres no way anybody is hiding on your ship.

I wish the majority of people i sailed with were that thorough. Would have saved us a few surprises thats for sure!

• @gutgrinder88

I've done this so many times and its a blast lol.

I had one crew of new players actually start role playing it in to their game and I was laughing so hard I was in pain.

"Dear Sea god, we give you this offering of our crew mate, (he jumps off the boat) if the sacrifice of this unwed "HEY!!" the DEAD unwed who can't speak anymore because hes been sacrifice please the god, would the great god assist us in this riddle that we can not find?" - he even used the voice of Julian the lemer from madagascar lololol.

I would reply with that the sacrifice of the unwed "HEY!!" shut up unwed youre my sacrifice! That the sacrifice pleases me and that to read the words of scripture and I will give unto them the knowledge of the gods to help them. The best part was when I didn't exactly remember where on the island the riddle was located so I would tell them that I would manifest into my physical and magnificent being to help them in person. They would follow me around going "OOOH AHHHHH ITS THE GOD OOOOH AHHHH SO ALL KNOWING!! OOOH AHHH"

It was a blast. They had a good time. But yeah, they were hiding somewhere on your ship. Since you are brand new you probably passed over them TONS of times just didn't realize it.

• @xultanis-dragon That's an awesome story !

• The bad thing is people can still glitch into the ship like in the sloops roof and cannot be seen.
    I call it exploit and Bad sportmanship to use.

• @stundorn Don't blunderbombs force them to move, revealing them ?
    It's something to be aware of anyways. So you're right to point that out.

• Haha haha you was tucked on and they was fooling around with you haha ahaa

• @john-arkham i dont waste blunderbombs some slashes do the same, but i dont think it adds to the Game to have to Doublecheck your ship all the time and slash around every corner and possible tuck spot.
    Its lame and even when i did it it vecame boring very quick.

Tuckers are lame really and they were never succesfull , only annoying exploiters to me.

• @stundorn I'm not fond of the tucking playstyle myself. Sure it's annoying to check for them but it's not that often. ^^

• @stundorn

I could do without the "glitching" into things but I would like more places to somewhat "hide" on ships so to speak.

Galleons, lots of places to hide really so Galleon really doesn't need any changes. The Brig, you got some places but could be better with some rearrange of barrels and what not. Sloops is a bit harder.

I know this isn't a ninja game but being able to hide on the enemy boat to get information or whatnot is useful and being able to keep taps on them especially is very useful.

• They were tucking in your ship m8. Tucking basically means hiding, there’s a lot of places to hide on all ship types.

• @john-arkham Ahhh I see! Thank you for that very clear and helpful explanation! That’s got to be what they were doing. Not looking forward to my first encounter with tucking people who are not as nice as these ones though...

• @drou-07 Thanks! That must be what they did!

• @genuine-heather Thank you for this super detailed response! I guess we’ll have to be on the lookout from now on! When people do the emote in certain places, do they become invisible/clip into their surroundings? Or are they just very hard to see? And are names not displayed like they usually are when you get close? Just wondering because we were below deck patching up the ship A LOT, it took us to pretty much every corner so I feel like we would have caught a glimpse of something. My brother also went up to the crow’s nest and I think he would have spotted three pirates squatting together up there lol. Then again we were quite preoccupied so you never know but nonetheless, I’m just a bit curious as to what it would look like on my screen if someone was doing that.

• @gutgrinder88 said in Is There a Spectate/Teleport Hack? (Xbox One):

@genuine-heather Thank you for this super detailed response! I guess we’ll have to be on the lookout from now on! When people do the emote in certain places, do they become invisible/clip into their surroundings? Or are they just very hard to see? And are names not displayed like they usually are when you get close? Just wondering because we were below deck patching up the ship A LOT, it took us to pretty much every corner so I feel like we would have caught a glimpse of something. My brother also went up to the crow’s nest and I think he would have spotted three pirates squatting together up there lol. Then again we were quite preoccupied so you never know but nonetheless, I’m just a bit curious as to what it would look like on my screen if someone was doing that.

Yes. In certain spots, they can clip into the surroundings and become nearly invisible. Dedicated "tuckers" pick small character avatars and dress in black to make it even easier to disappear. Nametags will not be seen when using "hide" emotes. It's a pretty cheesy tactic but a lot of people do it. If you're careful, however, you can thwart them.

• @gutgrinder88 said in Is There a Spectate/Teleport Hack? (Xbox One):

My brother and I just started playing this game two days ago so we’re very new players and are till figuring things out but we simply have no explanation whatsoever for what happened to us tonight.

In our brigantine, we got into a fight with a sloop, while also being circled by a Megalodon. Eventually we were boarded and then killed by the other players. After spawn camping us a few times, our attackers eventually left, seemingly by mermaid.

My brother and I then decided to try and fight the Megalodon just to have something to do. We were stumbling through the battle, slowly figuring it out when, after maybe 15 minutes, we heard someone over in-game voice chat say “You know you can just sail away from it right?” We were very confused as there was no one around. My brother climbed the crows nest to see if there were any nearby ships and there were not, no islands were even very close.

After a few more minutes the same person said “You know you can just shoot it with canon balls right?” Then a few moments after we heard another person say “Ooooh spooky ghost!” As if they were spectating us or were invisible and were just trying to mess with us a bit.

The next thing we hear is “Okay, we’re coming on to help, so don’t attack us.” And without there being a single ship nearby, all of a sudden, there were three players on our ship, seemingly the same who had fought us earlier. We didn’t see them climb aboard, we just turned around as there they were. They took control of the boat and sailed it to safety and helped us bucket out the water below deck. Then they asked if we were all
    good and they all walked below deck. When we went to go see what they were doing, they were nowhere to be found.

Does any of what I described sound possible at all through any known cheats? Has anyone had any experiences similar to this? Luckily these players used their ability (to seemingly spectate and the appear where they choose) for good, but regardless it seems like too much power if someone decided to misuse it. Any explanation or similar experience is appreciated!

it's not a cheat it's a game meta called tuccing

• @genuine-heather Good to know! We’ll have to start searching the ship anytime someone gets near I guess! Thanks again!

• [Mod edit]

• @hooohoocoach Ahoy matey!

Nice to see a new face around these waters - but please do make your posts constructive and adding to the discussion. Also, writing a post in all caps goes against our Forum Rules.

Anyway :) thanks for helping us keep this place ship shape!

• @musicmee said in Is There a Spectate/Teleport Hack? (Xbox One):

@hooohoocoach Ahoy matey!

Nice to see a new face around these waters - but please do make your posts constructive and adding to the discussion also writing a post in all caps goes against our Forum Rules.

Anyway :) thanks for helping us keep this place ship shape!

why writing a post in all caps break the rules i want to know

• @closinghare208 It always has been... all caps posts especially ones several lines long just come across as spammy, we prefer discussions to be a bit more grown-up than that.

Just the high standards we set for pirates here!

PS I am not averse to posts that are all caps that are maybe one or two words.

• @musicmee said in Is There a Spectate/Teleport Hack? (Xbox One):

@closinghare208 It always has been... all caps posts especially ones several lines long just come across as spammy, we prefer discussions to be a bit more grown-up than that.

Just the high standards we set for pirates here!

PS I am not averse to posts that are all caps that are maybe one or two words.

ok

• @musicmee

High standards??!?!?!? PFFFFFFT you mean tyrant standards. You can't even say

Po -- op .... deck. Its a nautical term music. A Nautical term. There are other nautical terms if I remembered what they were but damn, only forum I know where I need a thesaurus. That is outrageous.

And even simple phrases. Outrageous I says.

• @WCKDIMPULSE2936 Your post has been edited as it goes against the Forum Rules and Pirate Code.

Circumventing the Forum Profanity Filter

A profanity filter is in place to support our commitment to our community to create the world’s friendliest multiplayer game. Topics and posts which attempt to circumvent the filter will be edited or deleted and the users involved warned. Ignoring the warning will result in a temporary ban from the Forums and a final warning. If the action continues, a permanent ban from the Forums will be issued.

Please read and abide by the Forum Rules and Pirate Code in future.

Thank you.

• @musicmee HOW ELSE WILL I GET MY POINT ACROSS WITHOUT YELLING? DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND THAT THIS IS THE SUPERIOR FORM OF COMMUNICATION? HOW COULD YOU HAVE A DISCUSSION WITHOUT IT?!

I'm ready for the mod edit
  • @mferr11 sagte in Is There a Spectate/Teleport Hack? (Xbox One):

@musicmee HOW ELSE WILL I GET MY POINT ACROSS WITHOUT YELLING? DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND THAT THIS IS THE SUPERIOR FORM OF COMMUNICATION? HOW COULD YOU HAVE A DISCUSSION WITHOUT IT?!

I'm ready for the mod edit

I got set back my forum rank because of discussing Mod decisions, just to say , cannot care less as a Founder, but well its kinda funny how things are just arbitrariness 🙃

• @xultanis-dragon

It can be funny, but exploits are not fair and just imbalancies.
    Its ok people tuck somewhere , its not im the Game allows to glitch into the environment or loot where you cannot be seen unless someone throws a blunderbomb or slashes into the spots as a precaution.
    10 Out of 9 times its only inconvenience and reveals nothing , but you need to do it because 1 out of 10 times if you didnt you get caught on the wrong foot and surprised in a bad way.
    Funny tucks like behind the mast emote or behind a barell emote are fun, but who uses this? Right, nobody , its serious and not mainly for fun, but to play tricks on others .
    Unfair tricks using exploits that only lead to annoying routines because the game allows it and ask you to use it.
    At least a lousy design May some like, but its the gamers who also liked DGE and other exploits .

• @stundorn what?

I think calling tucking in geometry exploits is a little extreme.

The best way to avoid tuckers is to not let other pirates on board. The best way to do that is to always be aware of other ships and not let them get close.

Out of all the times I've sailed, I think I've had 1 tucker that I didn't realize was there.

• @chenzo01 said in Is There a Spectate/Teleport Hack? (Xbox One):

@stundorn what?
    I think calling tucking in geometry exploits is a little extreme.

To be fair, clipping into geometry is literally an exploit. Becoming virtually invisible by hiding inside objects is not an intended feature of the game. I suspect it's inevitable, since trying to fix it would probably break the game in other ways. But using it is exploiting a quirk of the game's mechanics. It's not "extreme" to call it what it is. That doesn't make it bad or good. It's not against the rules. It's just a bit cheesy.

Views
1 out of 42