Soulflame Crew Set for 1.000.000 Gold

• Greetings SoT staff

First of all, thank you for adding the events tab ingame. This is fabulous. Me and my landlubber crew are so happy to not having to tap in and out of the game to check our progress. Lots of love!

Now our discovery of the event tab got overshadowed by the way the soulflame event rewards are communicated and positioned.

• You have to be pirate legend.
    • You need to complete several missions spread across four weeks.
    • You need to purchase the set once you unlocked it.

alt text
    alt text

Now I'm not here to discuss the decision for gating this behind pirate legend status. Some of these event missions are quite tricky and you may want to prevent a bad experience for new players.

Now, lets talk about that 1 million gold, shall we?

We complete the last piece of the missions this morning and we felt backstabbed. Yes we know that the objective stated "..can purchase this costume..", but there was absolutely no indication of this ridiculous high price tag. We expected it to be 50k, maybe 100k but no more since we already put so much effort into unlocking all objectives. (Yes they already gave the weapon designs but still.)
    Maybe we missed something but to our knowledge this is the most expensive item in the game, and it required a fair amount of progress. In addition, there is no indication of how much time we have to purchase this set. Neither was this high price tag mentioned anywhere before committing to the event a month ago.
    I'm currently sitting at 300K because I keep spending gold on random items I don't need or even want at Stephen's Spoils. To get to 1.000.000 gold I easily need two or three months.

As a suggestion, either of the following would alleviate the pain and make us feel different about the event.

• It had been clear before starting the event how much the set would cost. (too late now)
    • There is an info how much time is left to purchase the set (or no deadline at all).
    • The set cost are six digits or less.

Right now we are quite disappointed and demotivated to continue.

Lots of love
    Terijaki

Views
  • I too have enjoyed these new events and challenges. Great to see the game getting long term seasonal events and things to do.

Agreed fully on the 1mil gold price tag on this outfit. This really left a bad taste in my mouth after putting in so many hours with no indication this was going to cost so much. I wouldn't have bought all those other cosmetics with my gold had I have known. Now I am looking down the barrel of at least 2-3 months grinding to get this Halloween set, by which point it's going to be Christmas/New Year.

This is a really poor level of game design, at the end of such a good system and hope we don't see this repeated again. We have loved doing these events, but surprise massive price tags are not enjoyable at all.

• @terijaki
    I like that they have put in a gold sink and I hope they continue with this.
    They could have shared this though, using the phrasing millionaire Pirate Legends instead when talking about this.

• @Terijaki @KennyLoggins827

Are you pirate legends yet?

Ghost set is 600k per piece.

Price seems to go with other legend gear. Plus in a couple of weeks y'all will be back complaining about how much gold you have and nothing to spend it on. Do emissary voyages and vaults. I started making lots more money doing those. You'll have the cash in no time.

• i believe (although cannot post anything to confirm 100%) the set will stay available to buy aslong as you have unlocked the option to do so during the event

• @durpdog96 I can confirm...

The set is staying, so don't worry if you aren't Pirate Legend yet or have 1 million gold to drop on it. It will be staying around for the foreseeable future!

• awesome thanks for confirming it was one of those situations where i know i have come across it being said before but unsure where so couldnt get the evidence to back up my point XD

• I agree that the amount it costs could have been made clear before completing the event but it seems a fair pricetag to me considering you are getting four full outfits, not just the one.

So that's 250K an outfit, which is about on par for what you'd pay for a full matching outfit in the Black Market Archive. Plus you can share 3 of these outfits with your crew when you sail, a purely unique feature (so far) that makes them very appealing.

Getting a million gold with the game currently is not all that big a grind, Emissaries and regular events like Gold Rush give a huge boost to potential gold earnings.

• @musicmee said in Soulflame Crew Set for 1.000.000 Gold:

@durpdog96 I can confirm...

The set s staying, so don't worry if you aren't Pirate Legend yet or have 1 million gold to drop on it. It will be staying around for the foreseeable future!

Hey there, I think the point of the initial post has been missed here. The cost and the availability is not the issue, it's the signposting to get there that causes the problem. It comes as a negative surprise after a very positive experience and sours the event fully.

• @kennyloggins827 Ahoy matey!

Sorry, I wasn't commenting on that just replying to @durpdog96 to confirm his point.

I agree the signposting could have been slightly better, but players have been calling out for a massive sink and Pirate Legend only rewards so you have yo give them credit for filling that gap and giving dedicated players their own reward.

• SOT community:
    "we have nothing to do or work for and we have nothing to spend gold on"

SOT:
    weeks of ongoing events
    expensive cosmetics

SOT community:

alt text

• @kennyloggins827 said in Soulflame Crew Set for 1.000.000 Gold:

@musicmee said in Soulflame Crew Set for 1.000.000 Gold:

@durpdog96 I can confirm...

The set s staying, so don't worry if you aren't Pirate Legend yet or have 1 million gold to drop on it. It will be staying around for the foreseeable future!

Hey there, I think the point of the initial post has been missed here. The cost and the availability is not the issue, it's the signposting to get there that causes the problem. It comes as a negative surprise after a very positive experience and sours the event fully.

I was replying to this part of the original post:

"* There is an info how much time is left to purchase the set (or no deadline at all)."

• I think the main reason for this backlash was that than all other soulflame items were given straight to players after completing x amount if challenges and that way gave the expectation same would happen with soulflame costume to. If the guns had been let's say 100k each there (probably) would be less people complaining about it.

• I think the million gold price tag was a good idea, but agree it should’ve been said upfront. I’m still gonna purchase it, cause I think it looks good enough. Considering you get a full weapon set and 4 costumes, the price tag makes enough sense. It’s the gold sink the veterans have been asking for, but can see the outrage newer players would have when seeing it.

• i honestly dont see an issue with the price tag you get free weapon skins and on each reward 1k gold and then for the outfits you get like 3 or 4 outfits. personally i dont like the outfit but brought it just to flex that i completed and have the money to spare :)

• I'm currently sitting at 300K because I keep spending gold on random items I don't need or even want at Stephen's Spoils. To get to 1.000.000 gold I easily need two or three months.

So, with the emissary and plan. You can reach one million very easy. Heck join a alliance.

• also, you just said yourself why your at 300k, spending on random items instead of saving. That seems to be a player issue.

Big reason it cost this, because most of us OG PL have ton of gold that we wanna spend.

Frankly, another reason is it just for PL and rich players. So even if you don’t buy it now. You can get it later once event ends. Maybe slightly different way to unlock

• Just so that you know, they will be in the game for purchase for ever. You will have them in the PL hideout. I personally, thank the fact that it's one million gold, and that it's NOT time limited.

• "We need more gold sinks!"

[Gets a gold sink]

"Why did you do that!?"

🤣🙄

• @galactic-geek said in Soulflame Crew Set for 1.000.000 Gold:

"We need more gold sinks!"

[Gets a gold sink]

"Why did you do that!?"

🤣🙄

People will always complain about something i guess :(

• @terijaki done right, you have 1 million in 2 or 3 sessions, not months...

• Raise an emissary flag, do some events (forts, fleets, ashen winds etc.) or do some voyages in the Devil's Roar for a couple of hours. If you can't make gold in good quantities in this game you're doing something wrong or isn't efficient enough. 1m is nothing, even for a couple of hours playing.

• I agree this could have been communicated more clearly but I applaud Rare in their approach. By gating the cosmetics behind the weekly events, PL and a relatively high price it encourages people to be more engaged with the game and playing it regularly. It also gives more incentive for people to reach PL and also provides a much needed PL money sink. It seems Rare may have looked at the lack of FOTDs being activated and come to the conclusion that some players just don’t know how to activate or believe it is just to difficult to get the lights or complete. Hopefully this event will help players, change perceptions and result in increased FOTD action. The alliance component has been much maligned by streamers but I think this hand-holding process will benefit SoT going forward.

I’d like Rare to continue with events like this with some better/clearer communication on what requirements are needed to get the reward. In open crew I’ve seen people trying to rush PL after completing the event as they (incorrectly) think they won’t be able to get the cosmetic after the event is over.

• @kennyloggins827 People have been asking for gold sinks like this because people have so much money and absolutely nothing to do with it and this is consistent with other PL items anyway as it should be. I personally have nothing to buy and am happy that at least I can spend some of it. Also if you don't have much money don't spend it on things you don't want then mabye you would have a million ready to go?

• Should have been 5mill quit ya sooking sail and make some gold

• Got my costume night before last. 😁

• @galactic-geek Congrats matey! Hope you didn't have to struggle too hard to get the alliance parts done!

• As someone who purchased the set, and whom has saved over 13,000,000 gold for the past couple of months, I think it is well worth the million gold. The soulflame captain's outfit itself should be worth just over half a million on its own. For us veterans of the sea and new PLs, there should be more costly rewards that we can strive for while also having the ability to share that reward with our crew. An example in the future would be the ability for PLs to buy an empty storage crate from the Merchants or empty chests from the Gold Hoarders for a significant but not massive amount of gold (15,000 gold for example) in order to cut the time to gather supplies/treasure down significantly.

• @musicmee It only took me 2.5 tries. 😊

• I don't agree with the price on this one.

200k would have been more appropriate.

I'm not paying 1 mil for something that I'll never use.

I like the costume but it's too pricey for something that required quite a lot of grinding to qualify for.

• @yourenowontv Im curious as to what else you plan spend your gold on? How much gold do you have?

• @satanicnemesis said in Soulflame Crew Set for 1.000.000 Gold:

@yourenowontv Im curious as to what else you plan spend your gold on? How much gold do you have?

3.2 million which will probably be used to buy cosmetics from the Pirate Legend store or something else that strikes my fancy in the future (If this is a sign of things to come I'll need all the Gold I have plus more)

Most of the PL cosmetics don't interest me as Green glowy stuff doesn't inspire me to buy or play for that matter.

• You have until December 9th to get this stuff on this particular offer. It is not hard to get 1,000,000 coins. I know, I know, it may sound really hard, but there are certain things you can do to significantly speed up the process. I helped a friend reach pirate legend in a week, playing roughly 5-6 hours a day, 8 hours on one exception, and he hit legend and had 2 million to spare.

• It will be even easier to get 1,000,000 gold with the Gold & Glory Weekend coming up...
    https://twitter.com/SeaOfThieves/status/1331972843383513088?s=20

• 1 million gold seems perfect if you ask me

• I guess this is what happens when the crying people want it free and Rare put it behind the grind wall, suffer I would say.

Also pirate legend and 1 million, good. Something top tier is good. At least something unique for pirate legends but everyone will run around with it making it not unique at all.

I would of just bought it with real money and be done with it.

Views
25 out of 55