The thing about private servers

• I've never understood the need to remove progression from a private server. Y'all acting like progression is this huge thing in this game that gives you power but the only thing you get is pretty cosmetic items that don't effect gameplay at all.

People are so against others for seemingly no reason in this game. You might have a reasonable argument if say; this game had real character and power progression but it doesn't. So I'd like someone to give me a single good reason to not have progression on these servers... Because honestly it just sounds like you want a high chance to be grouped up on servers with gankable people that don't enjoy PvP just so you can feel like you're good at a game because you play with 4 people and that solo player is a solo player who is playing the game because they like the premise without PvP.

If all I get is a skin... I can buy most of them anyway if I really wanted them.... How exactly is the integrity of the game threatened in any way shape or form just because you can't gank people?

Views
  • If people can get gold and reputation on a private server, players will generally gravitate to the road more easily traveled and do all huge loot hauls, events, fort of the damned, athena runs, etc... on these servers because they are 100% safe.

This means that none of this activity will be done on the regular servers with any regularity, and you're left with ships with no loot just out to ram and shoot other ships. Private servers with the same adventure mode with full progression fundamentally degrades the experience for everyone else who likes the game as it is now.

• @d3adst1ck But wait then you're saying that people don't want to deal with PvP.

Or are you saying that there would be more murder hobos on the main servers and that would be a bad thing? Well guess what! That's how people who don't like PvP feel everytime they log in!

So I guess what you are saying that only pro-pvp people are allowed to have a good time and the rest of us have to deal with it.... Because frankly that works in reverse too.

But you know what, lets not fool ourselves here... Plenty of games out there provide you with the option to partake in PvP or not and those games do not have this issue. What exactly makes you think that SoT will be any different than those games?

Oh and FYI I have never once in my play time been killed for loot.. Most of the time they don't even take it and I just sail back and pick up my own lost cargo and move on.

• @lynexiagurl said in The thing about private servers:

@d3adst1ck But wait then you're saying that people don't want to deal with PvP.

I'm saying that people will usually take the easiest route possible. Even pro-pvp players will be tempted to just grind out commendations as quickly as possible in an environment where there is zero chance of failure.

Or are you saying that there would be more murder hobos on the main servers and that would be a bad thing? Well guess what! That's how people who don't like PvP feel everytime they log in!

So I guess what you are saying that only pro-pvp people are allowed to have a good time and the rest of us have to deal with it.... Because frankly that works in reverse too.

But you know what, lets not fool ourselves here... Plenty of games out there provide you with the option to partake in PvP or not and those games do not have this issue. What exactly makes you think that SoT will be any different than those games?

There should be plenty of games for you to choose from where you can have a good time if you don't want PvP then. Don't ruin this one for those that do.

I've never understood the need to remove progression from a private server. Y'all acting like progression is this huge thing in this game that gives you power but the only thing you get is pretty cosmetic items that don't effect gameplay at all.

So if it doesn't effect the gameplay at all, why do you care if in the end you get to play without threat or challenge, the way you want?

People are so against others for seemingly no reason in this game. You might have a reasonable argument if say; this game had real character and power progression but it doesn't. So I'd like someone to give me a single good reason to not have progression on these servers...

This has been covered ad nauseum but whatever: if people need a carrot on a stick to be lured in public servers, where the devs wants as many people of all types and motivations to interact together, so be it. It's a risk vs reward concept that is perfectly fair. You get to chose, and you have an incentive to still play both types of servers, isntaed of switching and never come back (and split the community).

Because honestly it just sounds like you want a high chance to be grouped up on servers with gankable people that don't enjoy PvP just so you can feel like you're good at a game because you play with 4 people and that solo player is a solo player who is playing the game because they like the premise without PvP.

And on the other hand, you guys sound like you just want an easy mode by removing the only real threat and real challenge of the game. The game always ahd a PVEVP premise, so if people expect something not advertised, that's their problem.

If all I get is a skin... I can buy most of them anyway if I really wanted them.... How exactly is the integrity of the game threatened in any way shape or form just because you can't gank people?

Point covered already.

Oh and FYI I have never once in my play time been killed for loot.. Most of the time they don't even take it and I just sail back and pick up my own lost cargo and move on.

Oh so you are saying you don't actually need a separate mode because you still end up getting your loot back no matter what? Neat, good to know.

• @d3adst1ck Oh the classic "Play something else" trope. It's a popular one to go to for those who have no counter argument to something. So you've just told me you have 0 evidence that the integrity of the game would be harmed by allowing progression on a PvE server.

As I asked in the OP I would still like a GOOD Reason to remove progressions from those servers.

Trust me when I say if there was another game like this with the same ocean mechanics this game would already be dead.

@d3adst1ck Oh the classic "Play something else" trope. It's a popular one to go to for those who have no counter argument to something. So you've just told me you have 0 evidence that the integrity of the game would be harmed by allowing progression on a PvE server.

No, I gave you a perfectly valid reason that you just aren't going to accept. The bottom line is you bought a game with a focus on adventures and PVP.

• Isn't there a mega thread for all of this?

• @lynexiagurl You can read an article by Joe here in regards to Private/Custom Servers.

As there is also a thread for discussion of Custom servers here, please post your thoughts and constructive feedback there.

You can also add your thoughts in the dedicated Mega thread here: https://www.seaofthieves.com/forum/topic/126843/mega-thread-pvp-and-pve-playstyle-discussion

I'll be dropping anchor here.

Thanks.

Views
6 out of 9