Veteran players in vanilla sloop, aren't they annoying ?

• How do you guys feel seeing more and more about duo players in the vanilla skinless sloop, who just camps around the map for people to do any event, and just destroy you once you're done, taunting you

Just a random rant, because obviously i wanted to introduce friends to the game, show'em the fotd for the ongoing event, and just got a sloop coming to us, with my friends not really aware of anything, have them blunderbuss camp us non-stop, steal most of the loot

Then to go do another event (ashen bosses, or whatever the name), and see them come on a rawboat and spawn camp us again (one of my friends has already given up and left)

They barely earned any loot as they left a lot in the fotd (we came back to it to check and a lot was still there), so they just raided us, trash talked us, and i hope they enjoyed at least, but damn ... Kind of annoying to see your friends feel like sh*t over people like that

Views
  • @capn-crysos said in Veteran players in vanilla sloop, aren't they annoying ?:

How do you guys feel seeing more and more about duo players in the vanilla skinless sloop, who just camps around the map for people to do any event, and just destroy you once you're done, taunting you

Just a random rant, because obviously i wanted to introduce friends to the game, show'em the fotd for the ongoing event, and just got a sloop coming to us, with my friends not really aware of anything, have them blunderbuss camp us non-stop, steal most of the loot

Then to go do another event (ashen bosses, or whatever the name), and see them come on a rawboat and spawn camp us again (one of my friends has already given up and left)

They barely earned any loot as they left a lot in the fotd (we came back to it to check and a lot was still there), so they just raided us, trash talked us, and i hope they enjoyed at least, but damn ... Kind of annoying to see your friends feel like sh*t over people like that

I do vanilla for 2 reasons. People run or scuttle from a full skinned ship.

2nd reason is that I've noticed that I have a lot less latency or lag problems when no skins on. Especially the cannons. Less problems with the cannons shooting higher or lower than I am aiming or getting massive hit reg problems when fighting on my boat or near my boat.

EDIT Usually have a ton of loot on board so no skin is less work for the game.

• I'm lazy most days and dont care. Maybe throw a figurehead but that be it.

So what you just described is basically what majority of Sloop (even others) do on every day.

1. Wait for a pirate to finish a event and steal from them
    2. Rowboat over and steal from them
    3. Spawn camp and "mock"
      Tho trash talking is still common, for me it's not an everyday thing.

If you allow these small things to effect your game. Maybe...I hate to say, its not for you and friends.. Mute and Hide text options are there for these reasons.
    Sorry for friends finding a bad game sessions, but each day is new and you may end up finding the best pirate crew around who pull you over like cops :p

• @burnbacon The thing is, i still see new players like that, but i've seen countless of others who ARE legends at minimum, just use a vanilla sloop

And a lot of them just come straight to bite a chunk of your as*.

Maybe that's just the bad experience speaking, but it happens that those people are the freaking worst for me (i mean, the guys who steal your loot, drop bread crumbs of it in the water as you chase them, then blunder camp you until you straight up STOP playing

I mean, this is the sea of thieves, but i didn't expect it to become the sea of sociopathes sometimes

I mean, just destroying people and making everyone lose their time for absolutely no gain ... That's kinda f***ed up

• at the beginning it isn't a great feeling when it happens

but if you stick with it the tide starts to turn and you'll be able to predict their strategy pretty easily and be more competitive in battles more often. You'll always lose sometimes but it doesn't have to be all the time

the horror stories by pvers make people think these pirates are unbeatable, they aren't

You are Rocky and they are Ivan Drago
    You can cut them, they aren't a machine

• More than likely your experiencing people Server Hopping. If they are hopping, decking out the ship and stuff really isn’t the priority.

Just finding the server with the event they want and rushing to it is.

• yesterday i did a lord on shipwrecks bay(solo) after finished it a tucker ran away with the ashenskull , i sunk 3 sloops around shipwreck bay that was fun but at the end the whole thing felt like i losed cause i just did it for the ashenskull....i think tucking is cheap,it dosent need any skill to surprise people,its a joke no mermaid appears when using a rowboat

• Everyone says "I want to introduce my friends to Sea of Thieves" but then tell a story of a good introduction to sea of thieves that all of us met on our maiden voyages.

You grab a voyage. Do it, see a skull fort. Do it, then got attacked by pirates. You showed them the base game and the players taught them the advanced game.

So, whats the problem?

• I do vanilla for 2 reasons. People run or scuttle from a full skinned ship.

This!

Its difficult to find PvP action... but some vanilla camouflage will get you some action most of the time. Old veterans trying to find an easy prey will get surprised if they attack. :)

• I'm not seeing how cosmetics are even relevent here. In your own words, regardless of them decked out in bling, you were not paying attention. You would have sunk regardless of them having something other than vanilla looks. The lesson here is that you should be wary of ships in general, not just ships with cosmetics. This isn't really a problem to be fixed, but more of a you problem. Start paying attention to what is happening around you.

That rowboat play you were talking about? Highly doubt they rowed from out of boat rendering distance. High chance they parked at an adjacent island and came from there. The lesson here is paying attention to nearby ships because even when their boat isn't near, that doesn't' mean they are harmless.

All I see from this post is someone who had great learning opportunities, but instead of learning from them, you are going to the forums to whine.

• I didnt want the other loot in the fotd as its chump change to me but I must thank you for the athena.

• You took new players who don't know the game very well to the Fort of the Damned, which is one of the most fought over and sought after loot in the game and are surprised you got attacked there? :|

• @d3adst1ck My thought exactly, even after playing three years I still pick and choose the times I do FOTD or an Ashen. Not the place to introduce sandy sailors to the game. As a captain, show them to the basics of the game and teach them to always be vigilant, first step. Let them know the big events are there for when they get their sea legs. Otherwise you risk turning them off from the game before they have even learned to play.
    I don't know what a vanilla hull has to to with it either, first rule is... consider all ships including the rowboat as hostile. Using cosmetics or lack of them, is not a good measure of another players abilities or intent. How a ship moves is more of an clue than what it is dressed in, but still, don't trust that too much because pirates are a tricky bunch.

• So you had new players as a majority of your crew and decided to do world events right off the hop, kind of a poor choice in hindsight eh?

• It's rather annoying when you see a vanilla sloop and you can't tell if it's pros acting like newbies to get an advantage, or actual newbies.. I personally try to avoid sinking newbies because there's little gain to be had, and I don't want to drive them away from the game. But knowing a lot of pros do this tactic makes it tense still... Now if someone turns and comes to attack us, I'll fight and sink them without hesitation.

Still, my personal feelings on the matter is that it shows a lack of pride to not decorate your ship. Now server hoppers can just go die in a (figurative) fire if you ask me...

• @capn-crysos There is nothing wrong with veterans flying the sailor/default livery on their ship. Don't assume that anyone using that is new to the game, that was your first mistake. When I play in the morning before work and only have an hour or so, I typically skip the shipwright and head right out to save time. And I've had people assume they had an easy target while my ship was so dressed, they quickly found I was not - even when outnumbered.

But the players you mention I would say were borderline griefing, mainly because of the spawn camping/taunting incident you describe. While I understand a lot of times it is necessary and unavoidable due to the limited spawns on a ship (especially the sloop), repeated spawn camping with no purpose other than annoying and demoralizing the other crew falls into that category in my book. I have always been of mind that spawn camping is a low skill tactic to begin with, regardless of how others try to justify their actions.

But these type of players are not all that common, so don't give up because of a bad session. Events are a beacon to attract other players so they should be expected if you are trying to complete one, and be prepared. Don't assume skill by the colors someone is flying, don't trust every player offering an alliance or saying "WE'RE FRIENDLY" (actually don't trust those at all if they spam it repeatedly, it is usually a trap). Some players are just out there to create havoc, which is fine as long as they don't take it too far. Identify them and avoid them, always keeping a watchful eye on the horizon.

• I don't boast through clothing. But neither do I taunt or camp others finishing events.
    So the vanilla part isn't a problem to me, it's especially the 2nd, and somewhat the 3rd.

• @weedstar-deluxe said in Veteran players in vanilla sloop, aren't they annoying ?:

yesterday i did a lord on shipwrecks bay(solo) after finished it a tucker ran away with the ashenskull , i sunk 3 sloops around shipwreck bay that was fun but at the end the whole thing felt like i losed cause i just did it for the ashenskull....i think tucking is cheap,it dosent need any skill to surprise people,its a joke no mermaid appears when using a rowboat

Not that I practice the tactic nor do I enjoy all the players who think they are good at it, but it actually does require a sense of skill in the fact that when they die, they don’t just spawn back on their ship where the action is. Also they are leaving their ship open to getting sunk without even knowing it. Making it even more likely when they die, they will be far away.

• @pollyoliverperk You guys picture this as if that was the first ever session they've played in...

Like it takes a single session to play like a decent pirate on this game.

They've been playing by themselves for a week, and have done most of the events at least once (every type of quest, basic forts, ashen lord)

They're not dumb, they just don't know sh*t about the meta. Especially Pvp.

They don't automatically check their ladders, they don't have the reflex of doing basic stuff on a ship

First time we got destroyed was this way : Both legends got on each ladders, first of my friends shot him (still on ladder anyway), which dragged the attention of my other friend to said ladder, while the other came up, rushed the anchor, and spammed blunderbombs (we were moving out of the isle to focus on sinking their ship initially, they came by canons, again my friends are still inexperiences, they've done a lot of content for what SOT has to offer, but they have no reflex and don't know the meta of the game at all, and you can't brief them on a single session about everything either, that's just irrealistic)

I ended up alone on the ship, got killed, with one my friends with such a sh*tty computer that he's instantly killed before he can actually control his character. So yeah, great stuff.

I'm just a guy used to playing a 2-man sloop, and i've done FOTD countless of times, the other dudes were just on point (until they're on land, then they weren't).

• @hurricanegriz So you decided by yourself that it was the only thing we did this session, or the sessions before ..? Did i say somewhere it was their very first session ..?

@dlCHIEF58 I mean, thanks for the advice, but i already know all that. Thing is, because of the event that asks you to do FOTD in an alliance, i thought "duck it, kill 2 birds with one stone", help my friends and some people at the same time, that sounds great.

I saw them. From far. I just thought to myself, hey those might be looking for help for the event as well, and the vanilla ship didn't help on that part. As most people, i avoid sinking newbies, i just toy a bit with them with some canon fighting rather than just blunder camp them, and let them on their way once they realise it's not easy to sink a sloop without a bit of precision...

If they just sinked us, took most of the loot and went off to sell, i would've been mad but that's okay

That's after they came AGAIN before we even did anything at an ashen lord to restart this sht again that i lost it (and the fact my friend left just couldn't do sht at all for his own life, he's the one with a terrible computer, to the point he spawns on the ship, but his screen still shows him loading)

Views
6 out of 21