The Duke Shipset

• Celebrate four generations of Xbox, and one conveniently named Sea of Thieves character, with the Duke Ship Set!

Any bilge rats who play the game on Xbox Series X or Xbox Series S can grab this verdant vessel set from the Shipwright's chest the next time they log in. Cheers!

The Duke Shipset

Looks like anyone playing on next gen gets a sweet new shipset! Got mine today and got home just in time to see this posted.

Slick looking set. OG Xbox inspired and it brings back alot of great memories, heads up for anyone who isn't aware!

Views
  • @tre-oni I'm only sad because I can't refresh fast enough to get a series X. Pre-order and today were both fails.

• @strangeness said in The Duke Shipset:

@tre-oni I'm only sad because I can't refresh fast enough to get a series X. Pre-order and today were both fails.

Canadian so I'm not sure I speak for everywhere else but it's looking like there'll still be restocks coming through leading up to christmas.

If there isn't a Christmas launch window is pointless for them.

Also doesn't look like there's a timeframe on this to unlock so whenever you get it looks like it should

Good luck!

• @tre-oni @strangeness

You have until May 9th 2021, so plenty of time to unlock it!

• @musicmee said in The Duke Shipset:

@tre-oni @strangeness

Ah didn't see the date. Thanks!

• cool set

hopefully it makes its way to drops or the emporium or an event someday so non-console players can get it and people that can't afford the newer xbox

Hmm, a good amount of time, but probably still not long enough for me. It may be a bit too paranoid, but I subscribe to the following philosophy....

• That advice is kinda outdated in its own right now. I mean the Series X can play literally all the same games as an Xbox One. So it's not like there's gonna be limited content. But the reason to get it or not now is really more a question of if you can take advantage of the higher FPS and 4k. And then stuff like the ssd. Rather then arbitrarily exclusive games.

• @Musicmee

So if I have a lucky friend who gets an upgrade, I just have to load in on their new xbox and I get access?

Would it link over to Steam accounts or is that not tied to an xbox account? For those who want it on pc...

• @pithyrumble said in The Duke Shipset:

@Musicmee

So if I have a lucky friend who gets an upgrade, I just have to load in on their new xbox and I get access?

Would it link over to Steam accounts or is that not tied to an xbox account? For those who want it on pc...

If you got it from being on an xbox at some point you'd still take it with you to PC since nothing gets lost between platforms.

• @tre-oni said in The Duke Shipset:

@pithyrumble said in The Duke Shipset:

@Musicmee

If you got it from being on an xbox at some point you'd still take it with you to PC since nothing gets lost between platforms.

Nice...

• @aca-hombre If youve got a friend who owns Xbox series X all you need to do is log into the game from his console and thats it.

• Massive kick in the face for PC players and looks like a way to force users to buy the Xbox to get the skin.

Very let down here Rare!

• I felt a little down heartened too.. .

But then I realised I never expect to eat at Burger King and get a Happy Meal toy from McDonalds! I made my choice.

I felt a little down heartened too.. .

But then I realised I never expect to eat at Burger King and get a Happy Meal toy from McDonalds! I made my choice.

As much as I understand that comment about food, this is different as the PC market and Console are massively different... Burger King and McDonalds still sell the same foods but if you shop with one you get the toy, other does not.

Here, what if the PC player completely has no interest in the console market, which is why they spent X amount on a gaming PC, to then see this and be excluded...

• @dekeita said in The Duke Shipset:

That advice is kinda outdated in its own right now. I mean the Series X can play literally all the same games as an Xbox One. So it's not like there's gonna be limited content.

Which is great, and I applaud them for it. But it is still only one of the problems that new modern consoles almost always have at launch.

Whether it's UI problems, hardware issues, or just waiting a bit to get a cheaper price or really nice bundle.... I've just found it much easier to give new consoles a year to settle in before grabbing one.

Also, I was half joking anyway, so let's not take it too seriously. =D

• @menphuess said in The Duke Shipset:

Massive kick in the face for PC players and looks like a way to force users to buy the Xbox to get the skin.

Very let down here Rare!

What I find weird about it. Is that it doesn't seem to accomplish anything. It feels like someone proposed the ship set just cause it's the kind of thing that other games do. Or they've done in other scenarios. But it doesn't have the same context.

Like the Battletoads shipset. Give an incentive for players to check out the game. Some of them will play it and like it that otherwise wouldn't have. It's advertising for the game.

Or for example in Fortnite having a skin if you played from a new Samsung Phone at one point. Same idea. It's not like anyone's really going to buy a new phone just for the skin. But Samsung pays Epic for the advertising. And presumably some people might get pushed over the edge to upgrade now instead of later for the offer. Some people might check out the phone that wouldn't have seen it otherwise.

But Microsoft here, is essentially only advertising to the very people who already are their committed fans. With a likely neglible impact on someone's choice to buy the console. While simultaneously alienating other fans, because of the disconnect between the offer and Miscorosfts and even SoTs play anywhere strategy.

• @tre-oni very nice...will use this one today

• Cheers, got my series x yesterday, will be booting up SOT tonight

• @pithyrumble Yes this will work. Mine was delayed a few days since I ordered from the PX but I plan on logging in for my friends.

• @troubled-cells said in The Duke Shipset:

Cheers, got my series x yesterday, will be booting up SOT tonight

Boots up and puts you in a game lightning fast compared to a One X previously.

• @Tre-Oni I have that white xbox from 2017.....it counts to the S series as well and i have that.
    So basically anyone that dosen't have the first black console (day one or the one after) can get it.

Im on PC but i also have an Xbox so im gonna boot my old dusty white xbox one up and get this. (And my gf as well on the same xbox, cuz it should work right?)

@troubled-cells said in The Duke Shipset:

Good it's been a long time coming, also just goes to show the preference was never about hardware capabilities despite what many said.

• @reapinglegion said in The Duke Shipset:

@Tre-Oni I have that white xbox from 2017.....it counts to the S series as well and i have that.
    So basically anyone that dosen't have the first black console (day one or the one after) can get it.

Im on PC but i also have an Xbox so im gonna boot my old dusty white xbox one up and get this. (And my gf as well on the same xbox, cuz it should work right?)

Give 'er a try but tbh I don't think so.

That one is an XOne S(lim)

They're advertising it working for Series X and Series S, and I didn't have it on my XOne X beforehand, but if it works let us know man! Haha

• @tre-oni Then i wonder why they say s series? o_O (cuz in the "S" series and are advertized as such so haha)

• @troubled-cells said in The Duke Shipset:

@tre-oni said in The Duke Shipset:

Good it's been a long time coming, also just goes to show the preference was never about hardware capabilities despite what many said.

It's not exactly "no load times" level of speed, but the game boots up immediately, and you're in a loading screen for maybe 15 seconds if that to get into a game instead of a minute to a minute and a half lol

@tre-oni said in The Duke Shipset:

It's not exactly "no load times" level of speed, but the game boots up immediately, and you're in a loading screen for maybe 15 seconds if that to get into a game instead of a minute to a minute and a half lol

Doesn't surprise me at all, I've had that luxury on PC since launch.

• @reapinglegion said in The Duke Shipset:

@tre-oni Then i wonder why they say s series? o_O

Series S is the budget version of next(current now) gen. Series X is the heavy duty upgrade, Series S is the cost efficient, digital only upgrade for those who jump into next gen with a few scalebacks in power and hardware, but also in cost while still being a solid upgrade from anyones current Xbox unit.

Series X and Series S are the names of the consoles themselves for this gen.

It's like a ps4 and ps4pro but if the ps4 were a digital console only, and they came out at the same time so people could pick their preference and what they'd be happier paying for.

• @tre-oni Ahhh that's true though then it wont work at all.

Time to ask all my friends if they have the latest xbox so they can log me in. -_-

I felt a little down heartened too.. .

An apt analogy. I just wish that there was a PC toy as well :D

• @cptphteven Me too, me too! Maybe one day we will hit a PC/Steam milestone that can be marked with an exclusive cosmetic.

• As it was to celebrate the xbox generations, could have unlocked parts for each generation (and versions) you had. Have a 360S if that counts 😉

Shame about time limit won't be getting the new one for a while, virus damage limitations taking priority atm.

• I like the ship set, it looks pretty nice. I logged in to SoT yesterday after receiving the Series X, having no idea about the ship set. A good friend told me about it today so I went back on it, and sure enough, it was there. It has a lot of nice touches, especially on the cannons! They're pretty good. 👍👏

• @musicmee Knowing RARE, it will then probably only be available to Steam users and not the ones playing on the MS store version^^

• @menphuess said in The Duke Shipset:

Massive kick in the face for PC players and looks like a way to force users to buy the Xbox to get the skin.

As a PC player, you actually want sails with the Xbox logo on them?

No disrespect to you, but I'll pass.

Views
8 out of 67