Is there any sort of unspoken language between ships I may not be aware of?

• Real sailors used flags and morse code light signals to portray info about their situations. I was wondering if this game has anything sort of like that which there is some soft agreement on. Among other things, is there a way I can express "You leave me alone and I'll leave you alone?"

If not, I hearby float the idea of crow's nest flags being used as statements of intent, of sorts. Of course, nothing's stopping someone from just lying, but that's half the fun, right?

Views
  • There are actually, but then again pirates on the seas lie like you said. One that pops to mind is cannons all facing up means your peaceful and not looking for a fight. Approaching a ship with your sails at half from a distance can also mean ya wanna start an alliance. But beware, could be a trap.

• Kill or be killed. Don’t let anyone tell you different.

You are either the predator or the prey.

It’s very black and white in that regard.

• Don't trust anyone or any ship even in a fleet and in an alliance, always keep an eye on them at all times.

• Honestly it's just something you learn by how they are sailing. I can kinda predict what the other ships are gonna do based on what I would do. But I've been playing forever so idk. For the most part always assume the worst

• Approach ships at half sail but keeping your distance. Raise all sails and use your microphone to ask "FRIEND OR FOE" . Don't let anyone board your ship until you have confirmed they are (Somewhat friendly)

• @torcularis2911 When the flag system was originally introduced way back when, that was the intended purpose. However no one used them for such because they weren't implemented with explicit text stating what they were for although anyone with prior nautical knowledge could infer their purposes. Like the Blue and Black flag that was essentially a merchant vessel that would only fire if fired upon. Things of that nature. So the tools are there. players just don't use them.

• @fpg-onslaught said in Is there any sort of unspoken language between ships I may not be aware of?:

Approach ships at half sail but keeping your distance. Raise all sails and use your microphone to ask "FRIEND OR FOE" . Don't let anyone board your ship until you have confirmed they are (Somewhat friendly)

No matter how friendly they are, nobody that isn't part of the crew gets on my ship.

• if there was people would lie with it, we are pirates after all; while in-game at least

• @torcularis2911 said in Is there any sort of unspoken language between ships I may not be aware of?:

Real sailors used flags and morse code light signals to portray info about their situations. I was wondering if this game has anything sort of like that which there is some soft agreement on. Among other things, is there a way I can express "You leave me alone and I'll leave you alone?"

If not, I hearby float the idea of crow's nest flags being used as statements of intent, of sorts. Of course, nothing's stopping someone from just lying, but that's half the fun, right?

yes we have flags yes we have lights but that means jack sparrow but you can use em for intent

• @glannigan said in Is there any sort of unspoken language between ships I may not be aware of?:

Kill or be killed. Don’t let anyone tell you different.

You are either the predator or the prey.

It’s very black and white in that regard.

and so is your profile pic

• @torcularis2911 said in Is there any sort of unspoken language between ships I may not be aware of?:

Real sailors used flags and morse code light signals to portray info about their situations. I was wondering if this game has anything sort of like that which there is some soft agreement on. Among other things, is there a way I can express "You leave me alone and I'll leave you alone?"

You leave me alone and I'll leave you alone is a poor message to send. For one, nobody will believe it. For two, you can easily convey that message by not sailing toward them.

The message you are really trying to send is, I dont want you to attack me. But, why would you ever want to send that message? Any real pirate would chase some one expressing that desire!

Have you ever thought about trying to send the message "Don't mess with me."?

Even a brand new player can do that with a reapers mark flag. They could even confirm it by aggressively sailing toward them before veering off at the last moment or even poking some holes in them then just sailing away.

There is no flag for your message because no one who survives sends that message.

Try sending, "I'll freaking beat you up." Instead.

How could you send that?

• @torcularis2911 When I just want to take a friendly approach for whatever reason, I aim my cannons to the sky, put the lights on and make signs with them...just ON/OFF/ON/OFF, so no morse code 😉
    Ended sometimes with a little chase because so many people are afraid to be robbed, but works pretty often
    So just watch what others are doing, not every approach is hostile, but even if they act friendly, always be aware they might attack you and don't let them get on your ship...
    The only thing you can tell for sure, when a ship comes towards you with the reaper mark as a flag, they are hostile...

• @torcularis2911 As far as I know there is no code. Me and my friend just wait to see who shoots first when we pass by other ships.

Views
6 out of 14