rare needs an update dedicated to fixing pvp

• Why has hit reg not been fixed yet? So far rare has only fixed certain situations of of bad hit reg (like ladder invisibility). It seems lazy that rare hasn't done a general hit reg fix. The instance that made me make this post was when I hit someone 7 times before they killed me. Imagine if you 7 tapped someone in adventure and they lived and stole all of your loot . . . With such a game breaking bug like this I fail to understand why there has not been a hit reg specific update yet.

They should also rework sword. I believe that the range is too long and the stun is op. Fighting a sword user below deck of a boat is almost impossible because of the sword stun. The recent update made is even harder with the removal of wall bangs. The only way to counter this is to go sword yourself, and that is very unbalanced. The definition of unbalanced in a game is when you have to change your play style to counter someone else's. Its like rare is trying to destroy all the people who don't like sword.

It's honestly unacceptable that there hasn't been an update dedicated to fixing the many bugs this game has.

side note: it took rare two months to fix an invisibility glitch, but when ever a tall tale has a bug they hot patch it

Views
  • @l-866-942-3551

Why has hit reg not been fixed yet? So far rare has only fixed certain situations of of bad hit reg (like ladder invisibility). It seems lazy that rare hasn't done a general hit reg fix. The instance that made me make this post was when I hit someone 7 times before they killed me. Imagine if you 7 tapped someone in adventure and they lived and stole all of your loot . . . With such a game breaking bug like this I fail to understand why there has not been a hit reg specific update yet.

The reason why hit registration in Sea of Thieves is so bad is because of the tick rate. Someone wrote some code and did a test of the tickrate of the server, it was months ago, but it still holds true. As they were walking around they get around a 10-12 tick rate, however when they started shooting their guns it went down to an 8 tickrate. For reference, CSGO runs at a 64 tick rate and Valorant runs at a 128 tick rate. So having an 8 tick rate is abysmal.

My thinking is that it's not Rare's fault, it's the server they run on. The Microsoft Azure servers are garbage, and since Rare is partnered with Microsoft, they can't just change whatever server they use, it's probably in their contract. And Microsoft is definitely not going to let a videogame company completely change something that a lot of other people use. So Rare is stuck sticking tape to a broken machine instead of just replacing it, because they can't.

They should also rework sword. I believe that the range is too long and the stun is op. Fighting a sword user below deck of a boat is almost impossible because of the sword stun.

No, sword is actually in a very good place vs double gun. Before this update sword was in no way shape or form a viable weapon against doublegun because of how little damage it did. As for your idea of, "Fighting a sword user below deck is impossible Let's use that logic in a different scenario:

It is almost impossible to fight a doublegun user in the water when I have sword blunder. They have so much range, they need to nerf doublegun.

See how it works both ways? Each weapon set has it's strengths and weaknesses, if you are going Sniper/Pistol, why are you going down below in to a tight cramped space? Sniper pistol is GODLY at ranged fighting, you can also use it at close range as well, making it versatile for every range. If you look at sword, it ONLY has close ranged attacks. Even if you are the best player to ever live, you will never be able to use long ranged attacks with the sword, but you can use long ranged attacks AND short ranged attacks with doublegun.

Here's a link of me killing a sword user even AFTER I missed both of my shots and had to reload both guns while fighting on a sloop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwAVrSfRFnQ

If you want to say that sword needs changes in terms of sword vs sword combat, absolutely it does. But in terms of doublegun vs sword, it's not OP in the slightest. You know what you can do when a sword user gets close to you?

• Run away
    • Jump over them like in my video
    • Use the blunderbuss and kill them, or at least knock them away
    • Throw blunderbombs
    • 2 tap them with your superior range of sniper / pistol

You have so many options when dealing with a sword user, just because you CHOOSE to let them get close to you, doesn't mean that it's OP. If someone just shot you with a blunderbuss, and they've reloaded it, you aren't then going to let them come near you, and you definitely aren't going to go near them. Because you know the damage the blunderbuss can cause, so you take every precaution to avoid it. Why is that principle not taken when up against a sword user?

If you'd like to talk about this more I'd be more than willing to. Discord is a much easier place to talk since it uses voicechat instead of just texting back and forth waiting for hours for each of us to respond.

It's honestly unacceptable that there hasn't been an update dedicated to fixing the many bugs this game has.

There was, the QOL update fixed a lot of the bugs on people's minds. Like I said above, they can't just, "fix" hireg. If they could they would. It sucks, I'm not saying it doesn't, but there's nothing they can do about it.

side note: it took rare two months to fix an invisibility glitch, but when ever a tall tale has a bug they hot patch it

I agree, I wish they would hotpatch things more often, but I think the reason WHY they don't hotpatch things like hit registration, is because they can't just, "fix" it. Even if there is another bug like the invincibility glitch, I would hope that the reason it takes so long is because they can't find the problem. Obviously if they are purposefully not hotfixing things because it's not apart of the PVE side, that isn't good. But I hope they're not doing it because they can't.

• @l-866-942-3551

The only thing I agree with, is fixing hitreg once and for all.

But I'm sure Rare are already doing their best to do that. Fixing stuff isn't as easy as some people might think. Especially this issue, which I imagine is both code and online communication related. Sounds like something quite tough to catch and fix.

As for your troubles fighting.

• Don't go below deck if you don't want to be at disadvantage to a sword user.
    • Wall bangs should NOT exist. Surrounding terrain should actually be usable for LoS purposes.
    • Changing playstyle in order to counter others is an ABSOLUTE MUST, not only in SoT, but also in sports, war, etc. Hell, even at work...
  • @l-866-942-3551 said:

Fighting a sword user below deck of a boat is almost impossible because of the sword stun. The recent update made is even harder with the removal of wall bangs. The only way to counter this is to go sword yourself, and that is very unbalanced.

This is false. Just yesterday, I was peering through the grates on both the sloop and the brigantine (haven't tested galleon yet), and discovered that you can see virtually every part of the lower decks from above at certain angles (typically through the grates and by the stairs). This means that if they go below deck, you don't need to chase them down with a sword of your own - you just need to get the proper angle and shoot them from above. It's bad news for them because they have nowhere to hide.

• @l-866-942-3551 said in rare needs an update dedicated to fixing pvp:

The recent update made is even harder with the removal of wall bangs. The only way to counter this is to go sword yourself, and that is very unbalanced.

You mean you need to change your current load-out to match the situation and can no longer run a combo that works in every situation encouraging people to try out multiple weapons and playstles? Wow!

• @kaijoi Firstly, sword blunder takes absolutely no skill whatsoever. That is completely on you for using sword/blunder in the water. Secondly, sword reach is ridiculous. The amount of times I’ve been sworded from distances that shouldn’t be possible. I.E. Standing on the end of the bowsprit and being sworded from the front of the bowsprit. Thirdly, how are you supposed to blunder someone away from you if hit reg absolutely sucks. It doesn’t help it is almost impossible to scope in with weapons, especially sniper, this update. The reach of sword means that if you are running, trying to eat, you will be stopped by stunlock for a second before moving again and then immediately being stun locked again and then you get shot with pistols. Although, I agree, sword is easy to counter but in arena, it is hard as Sot will almost never put you in the right server region. And, yes, if Rare could fix hit Reg, they would. Let’s just hope Rare will improve PvP.

• @goldseeker-gar said in rare needs an update dedicated to fixing pvp:

@galactic-geek or just shoot through the deck till they aim up with the sword and slash you through it rare hasnt fix that yet either

What you're suggesting goes completely counter to Rare's patch notes. Can anybody else confirm this?

• @scurvywoof

Firstly, sword blunder takes absolutely no skill whatsoever.

I never said it takes skill. I was saying that it's easily counterable in the water.

That is completely on you for using sword/blunder in the water.

True, if you use sword/blunder and jump into the water that's not sword/blunder's fault, it's you. In my post I was making an example that it was stupid to say things like, "SWORD OP," when you go into it's range, and how you could easily say, "DOUBLEGUN OP," If it kills you in the water:

Let's use that logic in a different scenario:
    It is almost impossible to fight a doublegun user in the water when I have sword blunder. They have so much range, they need to nerf doublegun.

That's what I said.

The amount of times I’ve been sworded from distances that shouldn’t be possible. I.E. Standing on the end of the bowsprit and being sworded from the front of the bowsprit

That's not possible. I know you're exaggerating a little bit to get your point across, but even then that's a matter of ping not the sword being OP. There's no way for someone to hit you with a sword when they're on the back of the bowsprint and you're on the very front.

Thirdly, how are you supposed to blunder someone away from you if hit reg absolutely sucks.

Because there are many pellets that shoot, so not every pellet is going to miss. Also, if you balance a game around hitreg, you are going to have a bad game. You can't balance something around a glitch because that's not what's actually supposed to happen. If I shoot someone point blank and they don't get knocked back, that sucks, but you still let them get close to you in order to take that shot. Instead you could've sniped them from far away, or blunderbombed them. Blunderbombs don't hitreg.

It doesn’t help it is almost impossible to scope in with weapons, especially sniper, this update.

Again, a glitch. You can't center things around something that's not supposed to be in the game in the first place. You will have a bad game if you do so.

The reach of sword means that if you are running, trying to eat, you will be stopped by stunlock for a second before moving again and then immediately being stun locked again and then you get shot with pistols.

Yes, that can happen where you get stunlocked and then you get hit 1 more time after the stunlock is over because you are close enough to get hit. But that's just it, You're in their range You have unlimited range available to you when you use sniper/pistol. It should be an easy kill because as long as you avoid them you can EASILY kill them. There have been many times where someone hits me 3 times with a sword, and I immediately make my way over to the water and jump overboard while healing. Then I double tap them after they chase me into the water, or I knock them into the water via blunderbombs, or I doubletap them with sniperpistol from the water. They can't touch me when I'm in the water.

This goes for the, "get shot with pistols" portion of your argument. You let them get close enough to you for the sword to do damage. It's not hard to avoid someone who's chasing you with a sword, and since you have unlimited range with sniper/pistol you have all the advantages

Although, I agree, sword is easy to counter but in arena, it is hard as Sot will almost never put you in the right server region.

Again this is a problem of ping, while I agree that ping is a problem with the sword that does affect it's range, it only affects the range by max 0.5m Which means you can still:

• Jump in the water
    • Blunderbomb
    • Keep your distance
    • Snipe them from long range
    • Blunderbuss them away

And, yes, if Rare could fix hit Reg, they would. Let’s just hope Rare will improve PvP.

I hope so too.

• @kaijoi I'm learning how effective blunderbombs are in the water. 😊

• @scurvywoof sword/blunder"takes no skill" but yet your playstyle involves running away and shooting at a distance. Logic.

I always love those people, the ones that hate close range because they're bad at the game. So they run away and try to shoot you from a distance, then cry about how the other player has no skill after they get cut up with a sword after missing all their shots.

• @robby0316 Anyone who doesn't partake in all styles of play can't be knowledgeable, much less skilled at the craft. That's like saying you know the whole story after reading only 1 chapter.

• @galactic-geek I use all weapons based on my circumstance. I believe the game functions on rock paper scissors logic and requires a flexible player in order to be successful in different circumstances of combat. Some weapons have an advantage at different points over others. If I see someone jump overboard, I grab my sniper. If I want to board I grab my blunder. But I always keep a sword on me. Every weapon has certain advantages over other weapons in different circumstances. However, despite skill, the proper weapon will normally come out on top. For example, someone in the water with a sniper or pistol who just got the game will still probably beat the guy with a sword or blunder with more experience. Just as much as a new player with a sword will probably win below deck against someone with double guns via sniper pistol.

• @robby0316 actually, I’m blunder sniper, I only run to eat or if I’m out of ammo for blunder. And, assuming I miss all of my shots -classic argument towards double gunners that makes no sense- why would I use double gun? I clap people in arena and adventure on a daily basis and am slowly but surely working my way towards triumphant sea dog. And if I’m bad at the game, why do you spam M1? By me being bad, that makes you worse.

• @scurvywoof said:

And if I’m bad at the game, why do you spam M1?

There is no such thing as spam in this Sea. There are only 3-strike combo swings.

• Yeah, by removing it entirely

@galactic-geek or just shoot through the deck till they aim up with the sword and slash you through it rare hasnt fix that yet either

Actually yes, they have.

• @scurvywoof How is missing your shots a bad argument? Are you saying you never miss a shot? I mean if you're on PC that makes sense that you're a double gunner considering all you have to do is move your mouse over a player and click to get kills. Real skill right there.

• @robby0316 nice job completely avoiding my final sentences. If I’m bad with double gun, your worse with sword. It’s simple.

• @galactic-geek Actually, people always spam ‘three strike combo swings’ therefore meaning there is spamming. At least with the sword, blunder and firebombs.

• @scurvywoof said in rare needs an update dedicated to fixing pvp:

@galactic-geek Actually, people always spam ‘three strike combo swings’ therefore meaning there is spamming. At least with the sword, blunder and firebombs.

Spam refers to something that is:

1. non-stop,
    2. repetitive, and
    3. annoying.

The 3-strike combo swing ends immediately after its 3rd strike, if not sooner, and therefore cannot be considered spam. While a pirate can repeat it, it does eventually end with:

1. your death,
    2. their death,
    3. your escape, or
    4. your block.

Any failure to stop them is not a failure of the game, but a failure of yours, either because you failed to block if you have a cutlass, or because you failed to maintain distance if you have a firearm.

• @galactic-geek You’ll find there is almost no delay before they start swinging again. Spamming combos is non-stop, repetitive and annoying. Against people who can’t PvP at all and just spam swords and kill you in four seconds is even worse. Now add on stunlock too. See the problem?

• @scurvywoof I'm confident enough in my own ability to not have to acknowledge you saying I'm bad with a sword lol it's called being secure with yourself. I run a YT channel with over 40 videos dedicated to me just PvPing out of my 300+ SoT videos. Some PC double gunner telling me I'm bad at the game doesnt phase me because I know how to play the game xD

• @robby0316 channel name, please? I would like to see your little sword go swing swing.

• @robby0316 and, I’m confident I’m better than you. I know how to not get triggered at people better than me in the forums.

@galactic-geek You’ll find there is almost no delay before they start swinging again. Spamming combos is non-stop, repetitive and annoying. Against people who can’t PvP at all and just spam swords and kill you in four seconds is even worse. Now add on stunlock too. See the problem?

No, I don't see a problem when double guns can still easily kill you in 1 second.

1 second vs. 4? No competition. Which makes me wonder - if pirates who use cutlass can't PvP, yet you're complaining about it, what does that say about your PvP skills?

As for the delay, "almost no delay" is still a delay.

And stun-lock? It doesn't work if you can block or avoid getting hit by staying at range to begin with.

• @galactic-geek first off, it is impossible to shoot, switch and shoot again in 1 second. Four is not an exaggeration yet 1 is. It takes 1 second to fire, 2-3 at most to switch and about another second to fire again. Swords cannot be fought against if they are lagging and are quite difficult to go up against in its current state. Correct, there is a delay. Might as well remove it though as the second accounts for a few milliseconds. Swords have the reach of a blunder basically. Sometimes I have no choice but to get in close with my blunderbuss. As for blocking with a cutlass, it hardly registers you block anymore. Spam M1 and, BAM! Your hitting through their stun. And climbing a ladder means you will be sworded when you go up if they have a sword. Harpoons are nearly impossible to grab when the ship has wind. As for you, you have completely ignored how I said swords can be spammed. You clearly haven’t got a point to counter with and are just hoping I’ll miss it. Too bad though I’m aware in game and rl. You have no idea how many laughs I’m getting out of your points. Little to none of them make sense or back up your, ‘PvP iS fInE iN tHiS gAmE, mAyBe YoU sHoUlD gEt GoOd!’ Yet im better than nearly all those I come across. Go on then, let’s see some more sad sword points try and hold their ground.

@galactic-geek first off, it is impossible to shoot, switch and shoot again in 1 second.

It isn't impossible; the game has a 1-second limiter, yes, but you can still get that 1-second shot - I saw an enemy kill me with such a double-shot underwater just earlier today! I even recorded it to double-check. It was definitely about 1-second.

Four is not an exaggeration yet 1 is. It takes 1 second to fire, 2-3 at most to switch and about another second to fire again.

You can still sprint cancel to use the a 11-second version of the DGE - it's not easy, but ut's absolutely doable. The pirate that killed me, did exactly this with a preloaded EoR and flintlock.

Swords cannot be fought against if they are lagging and are quite difficult to go up against in its current state.

Lagging makes it harder for anyone, but not impossible. Keep them in front of you, and if you can't, then back away.

Correct, there is a delay. Might as well remove it though as the second accounts for a few milliseconds.

Milliseconds in video games can make all the difference in the world.

Swords have the reach of a blunder basically.

If you were standing next to the anchor on a sloop as I climbed up the ladder, the blunderbuss could still kill me in 1-shot if aimed. A cutlass wouldn't even hit me until I'm standing fully on deck.

Sometimes I have no choice but to get in close with my blunderbuss.

If you're carrying bombs, it may not be necessary.

As for blocking with a cutlass, it hardly registers you block anymore.

It has never failed me unless they successfully flanked me.

Spam M1 and, BAM! Your hitting through their stun.

Hitting through their stun? Aren't you the 1 stunning them in this scenario?

And climbing a ladder means you will be sworded when you go up if they have a sword.

Not if you bomb the ladder 1st.

Harpoons are nearly impossible to grab when the ship has wind.

Due to height.

As for you, you have completely ignored how I said swords can be spammed.

No I haven't, because they can't.

You clearly haven’t got a point to counter with

I actually already gave you 2.

and are just hoping I’ll miss it.

I can't help it if you miss the point - that's entirely on you.

Too bad though I’m aware in game and rl.

No, you make incorrect assumptions based off of your emotions.

You have no idea how many laughs I’m getting out of your points.

Now you're just being rude.

Little to none of them make sense or back up your, ‘PvP iS fInE iN tHiS gAmE, mAyBe YoU sHoUlD gEt GoOd!’

They're based off of scientific logic and actual repeatable tests.

Yet im better than nearly all those I come across.

The only thing shining through here is your arrogance.

Go on then, let’s see some more sad sword points try and hold their ground.

They already have, time and time again. Whether you choose to believe the truth or not is your problem.

@blam320 I was wall banging last night and swipping people through floorboards still

That's probably a lag issue then.

• @galactic-geek sagte in rare needs an update dedicated to fixing pvp:

@scurvywoof said:

There is no such thing as spam in this Sea. There are only 3-strike combo swings.

There is. A lot of people already went over that with you.

@blam320 me slicing up through floorboards to smack a guy off canons is a lag issue or shooting through the wood to kill a guy on ladder?

Both. Now either provide concrete evidence that this wasn't you just having a bad connection to the server. We need proof that Wallbanging is still an issue, because you are still allowed to attack through stairs.

• @scurvywoof that's ironic because the only person who is triggered here is you. I didnt respond to you calling me a bad player and yet you still assume I'm triggered xD that doesnt even make sense. Obviously you're projecting your insecurities onto me.

• @insaiity said in rare needs an update dedicated to fixing pvp:

@galactic-geek sagte in rare needs an update dedicated to fixing pvp:

@scurvywoof said:

There is. A lot of people already went over that with you.

Can you swing 4x? 5x? 6? No, you can't. The game only allows for 3, which means even if all 3 hit, you're still alive (assuming you were at full health, of course) - that's more than generous, and more than enough time to do something about it.

• @galactic-geek We cant win against people that suffer from "cognitive dissonance" when shown reasons why they are wrong. I mean we're arguing against people that literally think they're the best most unkillable players in the world but yet still get wrecked by a basic sword user. Obviously the answer to their prayers is to use a sword as well and simply block then switching to their other weapon or gun to shoot them. But since they're PrO gAmErS that double gun they're above the whole blocking thing and continue to think the game is broken.

Views
11 out of 82