why we get no free steam copy if we have it on windows store thats suxs

• i am unhappy with this decision , i have steam all the time open to play my games and i only have sea of thives on windows store and need to start every time i like to play this g0d damnn store , i hate it having 100 differnt launcher for 1-5 games... i hope in future steam will be the major plattform... [mod edit] be nice and give us owner a free copy arrrrr

Views
  • If you bought a loaf of bread in a supermarket, would then go to another and demand a free loaf of bread because you already paid for it elsewhere?

• The future of the windows store looks bleak tbh, everyone seems to hate it. Can't see it being around much longer.

• @nerdlife1g Your post has been edited as it goes against the Forum Rules and Pirate Code.

Circumventing the Forum Profanity Filter

A profanity filter is in place to support our commitment to our community to create the world’s friendliest multiplayer game. Topics and posts which attempt to circumvent the filter will be edited or deleted and the users involved warned. Ignoring the warning will result in a temporary ban from the Forums and a final warning. If the action continues, a permanent ban from the Forums will be issued.

Please read and abide by the Forum Rules and Pirate Code in future.

Thank you.

• @needsmokes hopefully the store will get an overhaul with win32 support maybe evolve into the xbox app. Keeping win10 within the xbox ecosystem is all i care about.

Dont even need to open the store, its not a launcher. If its your only msstore game link it into steam or just have a shortcut in the startmenu.

• @scoobywrx555

The way Microsoft has a habit of just ditching something that doesn't work out how they want it to would suggest it's heading straight to being removed too. Kinnect, Mixer both failed and went down that route.
    I've yet to see anyone say anything positive about the windows store, so I don't see it being around much longer.
    Will steam get day 1 access to future Xbox games?? Who knows.

• @luciansanchez82 said in why we get no free steam copy if we have it on windows store thats suxs:

If you bought a loaf of bread in a supermarket, would then go to another and demand a free loaf of bread because you already paid for it elsewhere?

But... I am still going to play the same pirate in the steam version as the Microsoft version, in the same community and the same environment with the same restrictions.

If I go to the new store and am going to consume the same loaf of bread that I already bought at the other store, because that store allows me to consume my old loaf of bread at their store, should I buy a new loaf of bread while what I am eating is my old loaf of bread and I don't even get to consume a new loaf of bread if I do this, as I am not able to make a new pirate? Why am I paying for a new loaf of bread?

You do realize that if you link your steam account to your microsoft account, the only difference is the platform that you are launching it from?

It is more like saying: we built a new road, but to use your old car on the new road you have to pay full price for your old car, as if it is brand new to us again to be able to access that road.

You know that Microsoft and Rare still earn money from those purchases right... it isn't like all the payment is going to Steam? Therefore it isn't a new store, it is just a new building that is still owned by the same companies... they just hired a manager to manage the new building that has a better track record.

Let us link our steam account to our Microsoft account and use steam to launch the game, if Steam wants money for that Microsoft should pay them for linking the account or have what steam would earn from a purchase be the cost of linking the account? They are offering the game as a service, a play anywhere title?

• @needsmokes just me then. Think it works fine, win10 system programs and xbox game update, dont even need to go into it. Plus you dont need to update it multiple times a day before you play a game unlike steam.
    Oh also just me then that thought the kinect was great.

• @scoobywrx555

I loved kinnect as I was a day one buyer myself. Kinnect sports was a fun workout.
    But seriously, I think you stand alone in not hating on the windows store, it has no positive rating anywhere. And the amount of users here who paid in full to jump ship to steam as soon as it was possible is vast.

• Ahoy @nerdlife1g!

It's really simple, if Rare/MS would give you a steam key it would count as a sold key which means Steam should get its share (20-30% of sale price on the platform). So they would have to give away money for a purchase that was already completed which would not make sense one bit.

While understand how that might be annoying for you, it's just business. They gain nothing from it and you gain the option to start the game from Steam which you can already do now by manually adding it.

Signed,
    Captain FishSt1ck

• Only way that's happening would be with account sync between steam and xbox even then that would be like having 2 copies of SoT. And you can simply add a shortcut into your steam afaik. You don't actually need xbox launcher to be running in order to play the game.

• @fishst1ck said in why we get no free steam copy if we have it on windows store thats suxs:

It's really simple, if Rare/MS would give you a steam key it would count as a sold key which means Steam should get its share (20-30% of sale price on the platform). So they would have to give away money for a purchase that was already completed which would not make sense one bit.

I realize this post is 4 days old but I need to correct this. Developers can generate as many keys as they want for free and do not have to compensate Valve in any way. This is all detailed on the Steam works developer portal.

It's possible for them to give everyone with the windows store version a key but I assume they don't want these keys to be resold or given away to friends which would harm sales. They could build a method for account linking I guess but they don't seem to have that capability (yet) which may require Microsoft involvement.

This might happen in the future if MS continues to launch games on all platforms simultaneously as they seem to be doing with the Series X titles.

• @d3adst1ck said in why we get no free steam copy if we have it on windows store thats suxs:

@fishst1ck said in why we get no free steam copy if we have it on windows store thats suxs:

I realize this post is 4 days old but I need to correct this. Developers can generate as many keys as they want for free and do not have to compensate Valve in any way. This is all detailed on the Steam works developer portal.

It's possible for them to give everyone with the windows store version a key but I assume they don't want these keys to be resold or given away to friends which would harm sales. They could build a method for account linking I guess but they don't seem to have that capability (yet) which may require Microsoft involvement.

This might happen in the future if MS continues to launch games on all platforms simultaneously as they seem to be doing with the Series X titles.

Alright, thanks for the correction, I was not aware of that. I assumed each "purchase" qualified as them having to pay the Steam fee.

However when I read this is could simply be that a request would be denied by Steam because of the huge amount of keys they would need and the game being lower priced on the windows store. So they wouldn't be "offering Steam customers good value" or it would just mean new players would purchase the windows store version to get a Steam key.

• @fishst1ck That might depend on region. Steam and Microsoft Store versions are both the same price for me in my region (though oddly, the ancient coins are not).

It could also be that Rare didn't want to separate out purchasers from GamePass users, or just didn't feel like requesting all those keys and handing them out.

• @d3adst1ck said in why we get no free steam copy if we have it on windows store thats suxs:

@fishst1ck That might depend on region. Steam and Microsoft Store versions are both the same price for me in my region (though oddly, the ancient coins are not).

It could also be that Rare didn't want to separate out purchasers from GamePass users, or just didn't feel like requesting all those keys and handing them out.

Well I would say everyone playing on GamePass (myself included) doesn't own a copy of the game and therefore does not get a key.

I guess we'll never know the real reasons, however I'm sure it's something along the lines of companies being companies wanting to earn as much as possible for the least amount of trouble.

• @fishst1ck Guess I've never looked cause I play exclusively on Xbox. If I bought it on Xbox (not game pass) would I still have to purchase again on steam? Not necessarily going to, just curious.

• @ronin20 Yes, you would need to buy it again.

@ronin20 Yes, you would need to buy it again.

@Ronin20 If you REALLY wanted to own it on Steam yes, however with a copy on Xbox you can also download the game from the windows store on PC as the game is Play Anywhere.

The Steam version doesn't offer anything over the windows store version though: friends are handled through Xbox Live, no mod support and crossplay works over all versions of the game. Adding the windows store version to your Steam launcher will allow you to do the same, the only difference would be where the game gets it's updates.

Oooor you could just use the one launcher to rule them all, GoG Galaxy 2.0, then it doesn't matter anymore where your games are hiding :)

• @luciansanchez82 said in why we get no free steam copy if we have it on windows store thats suxs:

If you bought a loaf of bread in a supermarket, would then go to another and demand a free loaf of bread because you already paid for it elsewhere?

One of the biggest benefits of digital products versus physical products is profit. Without the costs of physical materials and other factors associated with the creation of physical products, the profit margins for digital products are very high. And just think – even if you ran an online store that sold physical products, you’d still need a website with eCommerce tools, as well as a way to facilitate payments and customer accounts. All of this would be in addition to managing the physical side of your business, whereas selling digital products consolidates all of your business activities into the digital realm, meaning less costs and more profit. Labor went into making that bread and it doesn't last forever. IE it has an expiration date and must be consumed within a certain time frame. You can make digital items such as games/skins and they last indefinitely. Digital goods have the biggest margins in terms of anything sold in this world. Not to mention profit from cosmetics on top of a hefty price tag if the game isn't free to play.

I do agree that there's not really any need to have the steam version if you already own the Microsoft version, considering you can play on both Xbox and PC. There's not any good, real reason, why they couldn't let players download the steam version though. A copy is a copy and we're starting to see games finally support this. Why do you think Fortnite continues to make as much money as they do? Because the game is accessible between multiple devices and there isn't any cost that goes into skins after the initial development. They put $2000 into the art and animation of a skin and, it's just there ready to sell an infinite number of copies at $20 for literally years. Microsoft is also allowing free upgrades to Xbox Series X titles if you own an Xbox One version of the game. I don't mean to come across as rude but your bread analogy was terrible. I get what you were trying to say though.

Of course they won't allow this because more profit for money hungry share holders.

Views
1 out of 19