Just got a taste of double gun in Arena. Yeah it's really a problem.

• I saw as another ship was 1v4 by one guy with double gun. that ships crew left the match and my crew could barely do anything against the bunny hopping double gun nonsense. and once you get close to use your sword they sprint and bunny hop away, the stun on the sword doesnt help lock them down

I know the Devs arent fond of doing changes like this but I really feel like you should only be allow one gun. With hand to hand combat being the go too when fighting on a ship, the range and damage you get from having both a pistol and sniper is clearly the optimal way to fight.
    It really does render the blunderbuss and cutlass obsolete.

Another fix maybe is reducing how much ammo you can hold and make guns share the same ammo pool.

Views
  • @olgilviemaurice said in Just got a taste of double gun in Arena. Yeah it's really a problem.:

I saw as another ship was 1v4 by one guy with double gun. that ships crew left the match and my crew could barely do anything against the bunny hopping double gun nonsense. and once you get close to use your sword they sprint and bunny hop away, the stun on the sword doesnt help lock them down

I know the Devs arent fond of doing changes like this but I really feel like you should only be allow one gun. With hand to hand combat being the go too when fighting on a ship, the range and damage you get from having both a pistol and sniper is clearly the optimal way to fight.

Another fix maybe is reducing how much ammo you can hold and make guns share the same ammo pool.

Simple Solution is to carry 2 guns yourself then. So many people are using 2 guns right now because it's the Meta to combat the terrible sword play ATM. You yourself can also carry 2 guns if your Sword isn't doing the trick. As far as "Bunny Hopping" goes, it shouldn't matter if you are a good shot. Carry your sniper and they will Bunny Hop right into your bullet if you time it right. I do it all the time. Sometimes it's more difficult in Arena than others because people that need the Sniper and Blundy Kills for accommodations, this is what they will do. Just practice and get better, you'll be fine. Always remember, people with 2 guns that are terrible shots will eventually run out of ammo and that is when you need to capitalize my friend. Happy Sails

• @olgilviemaurice you are insider, you know the next really good change to prevent this stuff

• Bunnyhoppers are easy to defeat, because what goes up, must come down - hit them when they're down.

• @schwammlgott i just sent you a dm on these here forums, i think your info is not up to date

• Double gunning isn't the problem. The problem is the sword being so trash that you can barely used it. It might be usable with very specific circumstances but it is so specific and requires exploits to be useful. They really need to buff the sword heavily but with Rare's recent track records... I have a feeling that they are just gonna nerf the sword.

I really hope they don't start nerfing guns all around as well because it'll slowly kill the game's fun overall if you only just nerf everything. Plus, the guns follows a really balanced system right now that is similar to Team Fortress 2. It's a two shot system. Two shots and you are dead. (Discounting point blank range of Blunderbuss). Plus with the weapons being projectiles, not hitscan, you can dodge them. This makes the guns so much fun because it requires you to be good at dodging, positioning yourself, and have good aim to best other players and survive. It's a good system.

The problem is that the sword honestly just sucks against this system and needs massive buffs.

• @mrbadabing said in Just got a taste of double gun in Arena. Yeah it's really a problem.:

@olgilviemaurice said in Just got a taste of double gun in Arena. Yeah it's really a problem.:

I saw as another ship was 1v4 by one guy with double gun. that ships crew left the match and my crew could barely do anything against the bunny hopping double gun nonsense. and once you get close to use your sword they sprint and bunny hop away, the stun on the sword doesnt help lock them down

Simple Solution is to carry 2 guns yourself then. So many people are using 2 guns right now because it's the Meta to combat the terrible sword play ATM. You yourself can also carry 2 guns if your Sword isn't doing the trick. As far as "Bunny Hopping" goes, it shouldn't matter if you are a good shot. Carry your sniper and they will Bunny Hop right into your bullet if you time it right. I do it all the time. Sometimes it's more difficult in Arena than others because people that need the Sniper and Blundy Kills for accommodations, this is what they will do. Just practice and get better, you'll be fine. Always remember, people with 2 guns that are terrible shots will eventually run out of ammo and that is when you need to capitalize my friend. Happy Sails

So, the only way to counter double-gun is to double-gun? Sounds like a balance problem to me, lul. xD

If there's a balance issue, rare should indeed fix it, which is precisely OP's point.

• @olgilviemaurice Turn off cross play and/or git gud.

• @jusey1z You know nothing (of the sword), Jon Snow...

• @mrbadabing well, the problem with that thinking is that, say if people in arena are using aim bot and someone complained about it, the solution wouldn't be for them to then use aim bot themselves. Double gun is forcing others to double gun because of how op and broken it is paired with nonstop jumping like an idiot.

• @waronpants2664 if your response to this obvious imbalance is "get gud", close the page.

• @galactic-geek but you can also change direction and speed in air, not to mention they constantly jump over and through you.

• @jusey1z no no. It's the double gunning.

• As a mostly PVE player, I feel like when people talk about removing double gun for PVP reasons they forget about PVE players. Double gunning has a big role in PVE when fighting skeleton lords, destroying mermaid statues, fighting off krakens and megs. I don't think anyone ever brings up PVE when talking weapon balance. Double gunning in PVE is fun, and it's an option that everyone should have. The problem is the imbalance between guns themselves (mainly the blunderbuss, and please don't say git gud because that's just avoiding the issue and halting conversation) and the cutlass. As many people said, adding mobility to the cutlass would already mean an improvement, with a more reliable way to close gaps and avoiding shots. But why would anyone go for the cutlass when a blunderbuss shot at point blank is way more effective and reliable? It shouldn't be a 1 hit kill. I'm confident that there are ways to improve the balance between weapons while keeping double gun and making both PVP and PVE players happy.

• When 1 person can so freely dance around 4 their is bigger problems afoot. Lets break it down, it takes 2 shots from any other weapon besides blunder, amongst 4 people that is in total 20 bullets assuming they aren't double gunning themselves. That is 4 separate guns shooting at 1 person, all it takes is 2 within a short span to kill that person. How many shots are ya'll missing at this point? How uncoordinated are you that you don't use numbers to your advantage? Their is so much going wrong already that I wouldn't be surprised if the guy only had a sword he'd probably still steam roll you and the crew.

Its one guy, who is just a squishy as you are. If people want to talk about double gun balance, go for it, but examples like this just show how inept a crew is to begin with.

• @wisedekuleaf said in Just got a taste of double gun in Arena. Yeah it's really a problem.:

@galactic-geek but you can also change direction and speed in air, not to mention they constantly jump over and through you.

The funny thing is that you can't change speed in the air - moment will always carry you back to the ground. Sure, they can spin in midair, but in regards to movement, that's about it. Either way, they're not moving anywhere else off of that initial path of momentum until they land again.

Jumping over is no big deal and neither is through you - simply backpedal away from their direction of movement, while turning and slashing, all at the same time. As they pass over or through you, the angle and width of your sword-slash will hit them as they land, even if they're attempting to block. If you have a firearm, just backpedal, turn, and fire - no aiming required, because whether they're jumping over or through you, they'll always be close enough to be considered a large target.

• @bobbcane said in Just got a taste of double gun in Arena. Yeah it's really a problem.:

As a mostly PVE player, I feel like when people talk about removing double gun for PVP reasons they forget about PVE players. Double gunning has a big role in PVE when fighting skeleton lords, destroying mermaid statues, fighting off krakens and megs. I don't think anyone ever brings up PVE when talking weapon balance. Double gunning in PVE is fun, and it's an option that everyone should have. The problem is the imbalance between guns themselves (mainly the blunderbuss, and please don't say git gud because that's just avoiding the issue and halting conversation) and the cutlass. As many people said, adding mobility to the cutlass would already mean an improvement, with a more reliable way to close gaps and avoiding shots. But why would anyone go for the cutlass when a blunderbuss shot at point blank is way more effective and reliable? It shouldn't be a 1 hit kill. I'm confident that there are ways to improve the balance between weapons while keeping double gun and making both PVP and PVE players happy.

The cutlass is already the most mobile and versatile of any weapon (most just don't even know how to use it properly), and their are approximately 19 different ways to avoid being 1-shot by a blunderbuss.

• @wisedekuleaf My response to obvious unskilled player getting beaten by a much better player, is "git gud". There is no imbalance here(Relating to guns).

• @mrbadabing said in Just got a taste of double gun in Arena. Yeah it's really a problem.:

@olgilviemaurice said in Just got a taste of double gun in Arena. Yeah it's really a problem.:

Simple Solution is to carry 2 guns yourself then.

See, this is the problem. It’s so much harder to complete with double-gunners unless you double-gun also.

I hate double Gunning but I often find myself double gunning to compete. I’m a Pirate, I want to use a cutlass and this isn’t call of duty.

Metas absolutely suck, and all loadouts should be equally viable.

• @wisedekuleaf said in Just got a taste of double gun in Arena. Yeah it's really a problem.:

@jusey1z no no. It's the double gunning.

Nah. Guns are fine overall. The only thing I would change with guns is the Blunderbuss and it would be two changes. One is to give it a fixed pattern instead of a random spread. The other is to remove one pellet so it does 90% damage in total instead of 100%. Other than that, the guns are fine. The sword is just really bad in PvP unless you're using some kind of exploit.

• @jusey1z what about good double gunners have almost no vulnerable spots (when they can be attacked without them hopping all over the ship before they can heal)

• @baronbrr said in Just got a taste of double gun in Arena. Yeah it's really a problem.:

@jusey1z what about good double gunners have almost no vulnerable spots (when they can be attacked without them hopping all over the ship before they can heal)

Then they are simply good players? Nerfing double gunning simply because some players are good is just a bad idea all together. If someone is better than you at the game, then accept it, move on, and get better yourself so that you can eventually beat that player.

• Imagine if they get round to rendering a sword actually being on a characters hip other than being on pendragons of course how would u fit a blunderbuss and a sniper on a character anyway would the player just be walking around like rambo of the high seas. Just a funny thought :)

• @jusey1z that’s not the point. The point is that even if they’re good, other good players can’t get consistent damage on the DG because they’re always jumping all over the ship. That’s why it needs to be nerfed, not because the DG are too good, but because other players can’t get a consistent amount of damage on them before they die themselves. Mobility and ranged weaponry lead to near invulnerability.

• @baronbrr said in Just got a taste of double gun in Arena. Yeah it's really a problem.:

@jusey1z that’s not the point. The point is that even if they’re good, other good players can’t get consistent damage on the DG because they’re always jumping all over the ship. That’s why it needs to be nerfed, not because the DG are too good, but because other players can’t get a consistent amount of damage on them before they die themselves. Mobility and ranged weaponry lead to near invulnerability.

If you can't hit a target that you can see, even if they are jumping and moving around a lot, then you are not a good double gunner. Maybe a decent one, but not a good one. The mobility in this game is trash (except for shooting yourself out of a cannon obviously). If you're struggling to hit a bunny hopping/sprinter than you are not as good as you may think you are and should practice your aim a little more.

Granted, I'm very bias here. I come from games like Team Fortress 2 and Paladins which has A LOT of mobility options, insane movements, and many more things and thus have a lot better training with my aim overall and I'm use to truly high mobile targets. So playing a game with very small mobility is more like a cake-walk to me.

• @jusey1z I'm talking in the context of people who use swords. And yeah that is kinda of biased, which is why I like to take a more general view of the game.

@jusey1z I'm talking in the context of people who use swords.

I agree in that case, which is why the sword needs a massive buff so it can be used.

• That's why I dont bother with arena.

• @jusey1z and double guns don't need a nerf? sounds like bias to me.

@jusey1z and double guns don't need a nerf? sounds like bias to me.

They don't. They have a very good balanced system in place. The sword just sucks. Plus nerfing everything is never a good idea.

• Good swordplayers know how to deal with DG ... just as good DG knows how to attack players with sword. There are different tactics depending on which weapon you encounter. It's more about being able to handle your weapon than changing it for those who haven't learned. I play DG for I don’t like sword, not for it’s easier.

• @jusey1z double guns are two shot while using the sword at all is 3-4 shot. it needs a nerf. plus if everything was nerfed it would all be balanced

• @galactic-geek exactly

• Can confirm, I have also been double gunned recently.

• @baronbrr Sword is actually 2-5. 2 if you hit with 2 charging stabs, and up to 5 if only hit with slashes.

Views
23 out of 41