Problems with possible future Sea of Thieves planning and the mentioned Black Market Archives in the Developer Update of Dec 5th 2019

• There's a major problem with the newly introduced Black Market 'Archives'. As we all know, the major rewarding factor of Sea of Thieves is having a piece of limited time cosmetics. The fact that the idea of re-releasing the exact same items with the exact same color scheme was even brought up is laughable. Many people strive to play Sea of Thieves at specific time periods to obtain time-limited cosmetics. What will be the point of trying to play the game when the updates come? To get at a cheaper price??? That won't affect anyone with millions upon millions of gold. (Unless the price increase will reach 5mil+ a piece or so, which I doubt will be the case).

Please reconsider releasing the exact same colors of time-limited cosmetics as that would ruin the experience for anyone who joined during that time period. Adding a new color gives the player-base the missed event items themselves while giving respect to the players that played the content during its period.

This problem is reaching an absurd level with the constant re-release of limited content ever since the release of the Mercenary Clothing Set with the Midnight Blunderbuss [Purchasable Hard-drive] following soon after, after that the Victorious Sea Dog Blunderbuss with its permanent 240 win cap after being announced as time-limited, and god knows what's next.

It's honestly starting to feel like a scheme set up by Rare to extort money or play time from its fans. I hate to assume the worst but based on evidence from the Dev Update/patterns of re-release it seems this plan is going through.

Please keep this part of Sea of Thieves untouched.

Views
    feedbackgeneralxbox onecommunitywindows 10
  • Personally, I'm excited for it. It's nice to know that if I worked really hard to get something, but barely failed in the attempt, that I can still get it from the black market at a later time - even though I would have to pay through the nose to get it (mind you, this is coming from someone who has yet to fail at ANY time-limited event to-date).

Remember, not everyone has gold in the millions - in fact, I'd wager that most don't. I know that I certainly don't, despite having played near-on daily since the closed alpha, because I spend it all. I have a ton of cosmetic options and enjoy being a relatively new pirate, so-to-speak, every single time that I sail the seas. I'm not the kind of pirate that wears only 1 preferred outfit and hoards the rest of the gold for, well, no reason at all other than to gloat about it (which is stupid, IMO, BTW).

Speaking of which, you don't need to have a special and unique, one-off one-of-a-kind, limited-edition, time-limited, rare masterpiece of a cosmetic to use to gloat over somebody else, nor should you care what other pirates have. Just enjoy what you've accomplished and take pride in that.

On that note, if you're worried about someone else stealing your thunder with their cosmetic without having put in the work like you did, then don't worry! That's what the commendations and titles are for! A shirt's just a shirt, but a title? Now that's truly something special, because it LITERALLY says something about you...

Also, how can another pirate ruin your experience from months ago if it's already happened? They can't time travel (at least I hope not)!

Besides, I was under the impression that only cosmetic recolors would be available in the Black Market, not the original, time-limited items (though I'll watch the 12/5 update again, just to be sure). If that's the case, then don't worry - you can keep your clout.

• Personally I despise time-limited cosmetics and believe them to have no place in gaming, period.

• @capt-soul-beard Well said my friend i agree with you on that and even made a post about it too few days ago.

• maybe give us one item every month for just login(time exclusive)

• I have all the items from the first year and honestly, I don't mind.

I don't care about "this" kind of rarity. All it means is that you were playing at a specific month. That's it.
    I rather have hard to get items that are always present in the game.

Besides, I don't like time limited items. You shouldn't lose content just because you couldn't or didn't feel like playing during the update.

• @galactic-geek I have brought everything in the game and I have 4mil, plus I played since beta which means you should have way more than me. So something is fishy about your story. I also have all limited time cosmetics and think it should stay limited... plus you can only wear 1 title which shows 1 thing that you've done while you can play with limited item sets to show multiple.

• @capt-soul-beard The only thing fishy about my story is that I didn't mention that I mostly play solo. It takes longer to do things solo.

As for titles, if you want to show more than 1, go to your commendations pages, take a few screenshots, and share those. Really, though - most people won't care; that's why I suggested only caring about YOUR OWN progress. You do you, and let everybody else be. What matters is if YOU feel a sense of accomplishment. Sharing it with others is certainly nice, but it's also unnecessary, and doing so constantly just makes you arrogant and/or vain.

Outside of being a PL (which is rather meaningless in its own right) or a new pirate, have you ever looked at another pirate's appearance and truly cared? I haven't. Most of the time I'm too concerned with whether or not they're a danger to me, my crew (when I have them), and my ship.

• @capt-soul-beard said

something is fishy about your story.

Something is fishy about everyone's story: It's Merrick and the Hunter's Call!

• I watched the video and it says nothing about putting past limited time cosmetics in the game it just says that all the new limited time cosmetics will be purchasable after the first month for a higher price. So no more limited time cosmetics :( Rare keeps giving in to the normies.

• @capt-soul-beard I'm pretty sure the black market archives are only for black market cosmetics, not bilge rat cosmetics.

The black market cosmetics were always planned to be cyclical and not one time releases

• @captain-coel

It's a black market, there'll definitely be things they took off of the wrecks from those who've died and passed through the Sea of Sorrow for good, or left the Sea of Thieves altogether (pirate resets and those who leave, for those who don't get it). Desirables for Doubloons and Goodies for Gold are the only things considered part of the true Black Market, Duke's time-limited items will be gone for good once they're missed, otherwise what would be the point of reskinning them?

• @britishmango05 This could be just the first step, that's why I'm worried.

• @galactic-geek When I first saw the Deckhand sails I was so surprised that someone had something I didn't because I didn't know about it until then. I still think it's amazing but it's nice to know what some people have done to achieve what they have. Imagine how deckhands would feel if you can just buy their sails in the next update... they'd surely feel stabbed in the back. Same in this case.

• @Galactic-Geek Also, if you don't care about limited-time content then why do you want them to change how it is right now?

• @blindnev wish they added the wailing barnacle ship set again :D

• why not give the new players a chance to get the older cosmetics awell.
    In fact i don't think having so many "limited time items" is good for the game.
    All they mean is that you managed to log in some specific month.

• @unclebob1023 said in Problems with possible future Sea of Thieves planning and the mentioned Black Market Archives in the Developer Update of Dec 5th 2019:

why not give the new players a chance to get the older cosmetics awell.
    In fact i don't think having so many "limited time items" is good for the game.
    All they mean is that you managed to log in some specific month.

This ^

IMO - from here on out, scrap time-limited cosmetics (I have them all) and instead lock cosmetics behind tough tasks so that players have to earn them. This way, it’s fair to all whom enter the Sea of Thieves.

Newer players shouldn’t be logging in and immediately feel like they’re missing out... and really.. when’s the last time you changed a title or some clothing, and actually cared about it 2 minutes later?

Least by locking cosmetics behind harsher goals, we’d feel more inclined to show off our wares.

• @kaloudz In a game where you can't lock down a server with a bunch of farmers I'd agree with the logic of locking items with difficult commendations but Sea of Thieves isn't a game like that. Sea of Thieves is a game with many farming servers which do nothing but remove all concepts of "a challenge" so in that case everything will be achievable easily and have 0 meaning. The Arena is barely holding on to that aspect and is crumbling (You can still get full servers of friends, etc. and farm wins)

And for anyone who commented "Why not give newer players a chance to get older content?" Well it's simply a loyalty system for original/older players. What Rare is doing is causing a divide between newer and older players who specifically cut a time of their day to work on newer content once it was released. (Plus it's not just logging in, it shows you played the content and finished it all in the time frame.)

Why do fresh players deserve old content that they missed out on? Instead make new content that's attention grabbing and makes the fresh players have a piece of their own history that they can one day show to people who join in the future.

• @capt-soul-beard said in Problems with possible future Sea of Thieves planning and the mentioned Black Market Archives in the Developer Update of Dec 5th 2019:

@galactic-geek When I first saw the Deckhand sails I was so surprised that someone had something I didn't because I didn't know about it until then. I still think it's amazing but it's nice to know what some people have done to achieve what they have. Imagine how deckhands would feel if you can just buy their sails in the next update... they'd surely feel stabbed in the back. Same in this case.

There are still certain items I believe should be restricted, of course - Deckhand sails being 1 of those; along with Rare employee sails, the Banana sails, etc.; the list is a short 1 though.

• @capt-soul-beard
    The originals should never come back in the same form. But rare has said many times that black market items will come back.

• I'm sorry but if them selling time limited items in the archives will ruin your experience then I feel bad for you. This game has always been centered around being fair. No paying for better weapons, no paying for extra utilities. A new player can be just as capable as a PL. That said, it should be the same way with cosmetics. If you want to show seniority over people, show them your event items like Merricks Drum.

• @grilledcheese10 This will be a defining step towards the release of anything they want. What's stopping the next update after the December one from bringing Merrick's Drum back?

• @capt-soul-beard but if we take the wailing barnacle set for example. You did not have to unlock it, you could just buy it, so in the case of this particular cosmetic, you just had to log in and buy it. But i do agree that things like the megaladon figurehead should not be resold cuz u actually had to earn it

• @capt-soul-beard said in Problems with possible future Sea of Thieves planning and the mentioned Black Market Archives in the Developer Update of Dec 5th 2019:

@kaloudz In a game where you can't lock down a server with a bunch of farmers I'd agree with the logic of locking items with difficult commendations but Sea of Thieves isn't a game like that. Sea of Thieves is a game with many farming servers which do nothing but remove all concepts of "a challenge" so in that case everything will be achievable easily and have 0 meaning. The Arena is barely holding on to that aspect and is crumbling (You can still get full servers of friends, etc. and farm wins)

And for anyone who commented "Why not give newer players a chance to get older content?" Well it's simply a loyalty system for original/older players. What Rare is doing is causing a divide between newer and older players who specifically cut a time of their day to work on newer content once it was released. (Plus it's not just logging in, it shows you played the content and finished it all in the time frame.)

Why do fresh players deserve old content that they missed out on? Instead make new content that's attention grabbing and makes the fresh players have a piece of their own history that they can one day show to people who join in the future.

So, by your own wording, this should be a game of seniority? No, not at all. Outside of the Y1 cosmetics, everything should remain permanently in the world. I only exclude the Y1 cosmetics because Rare promised to keep them time-limited, and have since released reskins. Everything else should remain permanent so that everyone has a chance of getting it. Sea of Thieves is a game of accessibility, after all.

Now, how does a farming server take away the game’s challenge? If that’s how people wanna play and level up, let ‘em have at it. They’re only using in-game mechanics anyway... but more to the point; how would a farm server remove the difficulty?

Let’s say, to unlock some items, you needed to complete a fort without a single crew death, or run a TT in record time, or kill a meg before it bites your ship, or anything between (those are just basic examples) how would a farming server diminish that challenge?

This game needs more cosmetics across the board, what it doesn’t need is more cosmetics that locked behind “play now or tough luck” mechanics. IMO.

I have all time-limited good, and I’d not bat an eyelash if Rare re-released them all tomorrow. My stories are found in my journeys, not my wardrobe collection.

Views
feedbackgeneralxbox onecommunitywindows 10
19 out of 25