[Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.

• @troubled-cells I play both platforms and it is 100 times easier to cheat on a pc by running a simple exe or injecting a dll to the game can't do that on an xbox.

• @l4chsfps alright I'll go get a screen cap

• @fast-bike94 said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

@troubled-cells xbox ones cannot run unauthorized code 360s can and I know there is currently no hacks available for xbox they are only available on pc.

Xbox one's can, I've literally done it.

• @troubled-cells interesting happen to do it on sea of thieves?

• @fast-bike94 said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

@troubled-cells interesting happen to do it on sea of thieves?

Why would I want to?

That would break TOS and be incredibly silly of me.

• @troubled-cells you said you were able to run unauthorized code on an xbox one which I don't believe, the only way it allows unauthorized code is through the development mode on the console but it won't allow you to play games in developing mode.

1.) The XB1 has not been hacked yet, so it can only run signed code when not in Dev mode. Meaning that you are always playing the same game code as everyone else. Nobody can load an aimbot or map hack on the device to run along side the game. Even if they disassembled the console and hooked it to a PC, they could copy apps to it, but they wouldn't be signed so they wouldn't run.

2.) Apps and games are segregated into sandboxes. Meaning another app or game (in this case), can't read/write/modify another game or apps's files. Meaning if you wrote a custom aimbot and hid it in another game and published it to the store (it would then be signed), it still wouldn't work because it couldn't access any other game's data.

3.) VM architecture. XB1 is using a virtualized environment with the app VM and game VM running concurrently next to each other. This means that even if you hacked one of the VMs you couldn't access the other unless you found an exploit to jump out of the VM. This is incredibly hard with Hyper-V (as it is used in enterprise) and security is taken very seriously. However it is not impossible.

4.) No memory exploit has been found. A memory exploit would be a buffer overflow or under run that would let one app rewrite another apps memory. Since Windows uses DEP (which randomizes where data is stored in RAM when launched. it is different every time) to protect against this, I would assume the Xbox does also. So even if you found an overflow or under run bug in an app, you would be over writing unknown data in RAM which would be completely useless, and almost always create an app/game/or OS crash.

@troubled-cells you said you were able to run unauthorized code on an xbox one which I don't believe

Dev mode. I can run a lot of unsigned code.

• @troubled-cells yes but it won't let you run a game as the code isn't signed and you are in developing mode

@troubled-cells yes but it won't let you run a game as the code isn't signed and you are in developing mode

I've run plenty of games in it.

• @troubled-cells so explain "that would be breaking tos" because here you are admitting to breaking tos in other games lol ez ban

@troubled-cells so explain "that would be breaking tos" because here you are admitting to breaking tos in other games lol ez ban

How is playing a unspecified game in Dev mode breaking SOT TOS ?

• @troubled-cells not sot tos xbox eula

@troubled-cells not sot tos xbox eula

No it doesn't, otherwise by your logic every game and app developer would get banned.

Microsoft publicly opened the mode up in a effort to encourage people to develop, this includes playing the games that they develop.

I was just correcting the implication that you couldn't run unsigned code on Xbox one because you can.

No doubt this will be exploited in the future for questionable purposes.

• @troubled-cells The XB1 has not been hacked yet, so it can only run signed code when not in Dev mode. Meaning that you are always playing the same game code as everyone else. Nobody can load an aimbot or map hack on the device to run along side the game. Even if they disassembled the console and hooked it to a PC, they could copy apps to it, but they wouldn't be signed so they wouldn't run.

@troubled-cells The XB1 has not been hacked yet, so it can only run signed code when not in Dev mode. Meaning that you are always playing the same game code as everyone else. Nobody can load an aimbot or map hack on the device to run along side the game. Even if they disassembled the console and hooked it to a PC, they could copy apps to it, but they wouldn't be signed so they wouldn't run.

I know, but your initial implication was that you couldn't run unsigned code period, I'm saying you can in this circumstance.

It's unsigned code , on a Xbox one console, the purpose is irrelevant.

Pretty much end of discussion amigo.

• @troubled-cells said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

@natiredgals said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

@troubled-cells

Of course they do, it's perfectly available for them to purchase as well and using an Xbox, gain access to the Xbox only pool.

If they choose not to do so, that's fine, they can enjoy playing in the open pool on PC for free.

Win win.

Pretty certain you was against the paywal barrier for keyboard and mouse on console though?

Just pointing out the irony in your principles.

You're mistaken, there is no irony. This is because there is no paywall for playing with mouse and keyboard on Xbox separate from the one that all Xbox players play to play online with their Consoles. Like I said, I'm perfectly fine with the way that the option will be implemented. Its exactly right to make a pool for players who are playing on Xbox only, and only with controllers.

I was speaking hypothetically, that if I had to choose between separation by platform or separation by input (and thankfully, I wont) I would definitely choose by platform because keyboard and mouse support on xbox is janky and not really the same as kb+m on PC.

• @natiredgals said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

@troubled-cells said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

@natiredgals said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

@troubled-cells

Of course they do, it's perfectly available for them to purchase as well and using an Xbox, gain access to the Xbox only pool.

If they choose not to do so, that's fine, they can enjoy playing in the open pool on PC for free.

Win win.

Pretty certain you was against the paywal barrier for keyboard and mouse on console though?

You're mistaken, there is no irony. This is because there is no paywall for playing with mouse and keyboard on Xbox separate from the one that all Xbox players play to play online with their Consoles. Like I said, I'm perfectly fine with the way that the option will be implemented. Its exactly right to make a pool for players who are playing on Xbox only, and only with controllers.

I was speaking hypothetically, that if I had to choose between separation by platform or separation by input (and thankfully, I wont) I would definitely choose by platform because keyboard and mouse support on xbox is janky and not really the same as kb+m on PC.

I'm not mistaken.

You literally complained about the suggestion of being told to buy a K+M ages ago, and how you shouldn't have to make a monetary investment against your non-preference. But whatever makes you feel better pal.

• @troubled-cells said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

@troubled-cells said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

@troubled-cells

Win win.

I'm not mistaken.

You literally complained about the suggestion of being told to buy a K+M ages ago, and how you shouldn't have to make a monetary investment against your non-preference. But whatever makes you feel better pal.

I mean I don't disagree with that notion but for me its really secondary to other issues. I mean if K+M on Xbox was decent then it might be meaningful that they added it, but its no equalizer to K+M on PC so its really kinda moot whether its supported or not. Its gonna be a non starter for most Xbox peeps in the first place because people generally dont buy consoles to play with k+m but only those who don't have experience with how K+M should be will accept how its supported on Xbox.

its really secondary compared to addressing the platforms. The funny part is that there are people who think that they should be able to use Non Xbox hardware in the Xbox only pool, without even paying for the Live sub that Xbox players have to pay to be in that pool. Its the height of entitlement and failure to understand what XBL Gold is.

• @natiredgals
    Is the kb&m really that bad on xbox? I wanted to get one but i heard it drags the fps down. Really curious here

• @natiredgals said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

@troubled-cells

Win win.

I'm not mistaken.

I mean I don't disagree with that notion but for me its really secondary to other issues. I mean if K+M on Xbox was decent then it might be meaningful that they added it, but its no equalizer to K+M on PC so its really kinda moot whether its supported or not. Its gonna be a non starter for most Xbox peeps in the first place because people generally dont buy consoles to play with k+m but only those who don't have experience with how K+M should be will accept how its supported on Xbox.

its really secondary compared to addressing the platforms. The funny part is that there are people who think that they should be able to use Non Xbox hardware in the Xbox only pool, without even paying for the Live sub that Xbox players have to pay to be in that pool. Its the height of entitlement and failure to understand what XBL Gold is.

Correction it's secondary in your opinion.

The point still stands about the irony of your principles no matter how you want to try and spin the context , to which you agree.

So with this being the case you should have no problem in being told to just buy a keyboard and mouse ( which I actually never told you to do ) if you wish to suggest the notion to others of buying a console. Otherwise your previous arguments are moot in principle.

Your suggestion of paying for a gold sub towards pc players is also misplaced , as currently pc players don't have the agency to purchase a gold subscription for the pc platform, thus putting them in a impossible position.

Really what you should be saying is Microsoft should give pc players the choice of paying for a gold sub for the pc platform.

But unless that happens it's a bit bigoted to be suggesting to others to buy items , especially one they don't have agency over for their platform, when you literally disliked the idea of the same principle of making monetary investments against a non preference.

Essentially you are punching down from a position of privellage in a disengenuous manner by suggesting the things you are.

• @nwo-azcrack feels like booty. Might be the 30 fps cap.

• I've always been very happy that I can play this game with my friends across the country that haven't adopted PC life and choose to game on consoles. They've been ecstatic about the ability as well and logged many hours on the sea in mixed hardware crews. It's always been fun, win or lose because we are together. Never has there been any talk of winning or losing or having less fun because of console or PC.

Some people just need any crutch they can get and will delusion-ally grasp at any excuse they can defend in the least. They will ignore all logic and spout the same things over and over, attempting to redefine meanings and intentions and basic understandings in the process. Futile to argue with this type, especially here where they will use anything they can against you. Even resorting to reporting your harmless cartoon gamerpic to silence your opinion from the forum here.

One of the greatest things Microsoft offers in my opinion is the crossplay ability on some of their games. Its a great marketing strategy too. Their games reach a much wider audience, and they want that. Xbox gamers forget that one of the features they are paying for with xbox live or gold whatever is to be able to even get on crossplatform with PC at all. It's not the other way around and never will be. I Think they should read up a little and remind themselves why they game on consoles and why paying for live to game online is necessary. It's certainly not some elite private protected pool like some would make it out to be.

With the climate some have created around this conversation in mind, I would love the ability to opt out of playing with certain Xbox players so they can sail on a sea of their own tears, but I'm glad we are forced into this together for now.

@troubled-cells

Win win.

I'm not mistaken.

The point still stands about the irony of your principles no matter how you want to try and spin the context , to which you agree.

So with this being the case you should have no problem in being told to just buy a keyboard and mouse if you wish to suggest the notion to others of buying a console. Otherwise your previous arguments are moot in principle.

Your suggestion of paying for a gold sub towards pc players is also misplaced , as currently pc players don't have the agency to purchase a gold subscription for the pc platform, thus putting them in a impossible position.

Really what you should be saying is Microsoft should give pc players the choice of paying for a gold sub for the pc platform.

But unless that happens it's a bit bigoted to be suggesting to others to buy items , especially one they don't have agency over for their platform, when you literally disliked the idea of the same principle of making monetary investments against a non preference.

Essentially you are punching down from a position of privellage in a disengenuous manner by suggesting the things you are.

LoL you're a case man.
    You just suggested that I argue that MS charge PC players to play SoT online?
    I guess you want to see the PC player population plummet.
    I don't I want them to be able to enjoy open crossplay mode for free with other pc players and those paying Xbox live subscribing Xbox players who opt to play with them. I'm not telling them that they have to buy anything to enjoy the game. I'm telling them that if they want in the Xbox only pool they need to be playing on Xbox. Rare says they need to use a controller too and I'm fine with that.

I'm sorry man, 100s of posts later you've still not made a logical convincing post for why players who dont meet the requirements to be in the Xbox only pool should be in it. It screams of entitlement and a desire just to see it reversed to keep Xbox players from getting what they've been told they'll have, a more level playing field finally.

• @gutterangel

You're wrong. Xbox players don't pay for live for the privilege of playing at a disadvantage to players who aren't playing to play. If that were the case we wouldn't have been paying to play online for all the years it's been around. The PC guys on this forum really think that Xbox players pay for nothing when they subscribe to live but that's just false. We pay so that we can play online, and we're promised a premium online experience for our money, having no opt out of being disadvantaged is not the premium experience. I agree that crossplay can be great and I'll continue to make use of it when my PC only friends want to sail with me, but it should always have been an option for Xbox players, as the only ones paying to play.

I promise, you'll be able to go on with your game the same as you always have. Its hit 8.4 million players, 2 million more than there was before the anniversary update, I'd wager just going on my nightly recent players list that PC players are probably nearing 40-45 percent now. Rare assured us all that even before that the populations are healthy enough to support the option.

So I'll never understand why so many people here are so opposed to something that wont affect them in the slightest. It really comes off like some sour grapes after what, a year of telling Xbox players to stop asking for it or "just buy a pc" only to be proven wrong.

@troubled-cells

Win win.

I'm not mistaken.

So with this being the case you should have no problem in being told to just buy a keyboard and mouse if you wish to suggest the notion to others of buying a console. Otherwise your previous arguments are moot in principle.

LoL you're a case man.
    I don't I want them to be able to enjoy open crossplay mode for free with other pc players and those paying Xbox live subscribing Xbox players who opt to play with them. I'm not telling them that they have to buy anything to enjoy the game. I'm telling them that if they want in the Xbox only pool they need to be playing on Xbox. Rare says they need to use a controller too and I'm fine with that.

I'm sorry man, 100s of posts later you've still not made a logical convincing post for why players who dont meet the requirements to be in the Xbox only pool should be in it. It screams of entitlement and a desire just to see it reversed to keep Xbox players from getting what they've been told they'll have, a more level playing field finally.

You keep arguing suggestions that are ironic in principle whilst punching down , then suddenly show concern about pc numbers, a bit odd when you said that opt out wouldn't affect current cross play servers.

Why would PC numbers plummet overall from a pc gold sub ( where they would also get 4 games a month ) when they have the current cross play access as is? It most likely wouldn't as it's a external variable.

You are being incredibly disengenuous from a position of privellage.

@troubled-cells

Win win.

I'm not mistaken.

LoL you're a case man.

You keep arguing suggestions that are not logical though or ironic in principle whilst punching down , then suddenly show concern about pc numbers.

Why would PC numbers plummet overall from a pc gold sub ( where they would also get 4 games a month ) when they have the current cross play access as is? It most likely wouldn't as it's a external variable.

Not in the slightest am I being disingenuous.
    PC players don't pay to play online I've had one tell me "its crazy" to do so. So with that in mind if suddenly there was a paygate on SoT online for PC players I can only imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth and backlash that would occur.
    and ROFLMAO at the notion of Games W/Gold for PC making PC players ok with paying to play online. Its like you're completely out of touch with reality.

But then I've known that from go because ever since the anouncement you've insisted on the laughable notion that PC players should be included in the Xbox only pool. No man. Just no.

• As this thread has devolved into personal arguments, im going to go ahead and drop the anchor on it.
    Wait where is that anchor button again?

@troubled-cells

Win win.

I'm not mistaken.

LoL you're a case man.

You keep arguing suggestions that are not logical though or ironic in principle whilst punching down , then suddenly show concern about pc numbers.

Not in the slightest am I being disingenuous.
    PC players don't pay to play online I've had one tell me "its crazy" to do so. So with that in mind if suddenly there was a paygate on SoT online for PC players I can only imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth and backlash that would occur.
    and ROFLMAO at the notion of Games W/Gold for PC making PC players ok with paying to play online. Its like you're completely out of touch with reality.

But then I've known that from go because ever since the anouncement you've insisted on the laughable notion that PC players should be included in the Xbox only pool. No man. Just no.

So why suggest PC players pay for gold if you "ROLFMAO" at the idea ?

Oh wait

Just more irony from you pal.

• @troubled-cells no my poor still doesn't get it friend. I never once suggested that pc players pay to play that was you, prompting me to laugh.

• There will be a live Q&A on this forum on Wednesday 4-5pm with several of the Arena Devs, answering questions.

I shall be at work, but those of you still waiting for opt out should try to ask the question to them.

(Just read about it on the SOT, FB page)

• Overwatch on console doesnt make you pay for gold to play.
    This is particularly notable because on PC, you can only play on your own account so smurf accounts mean you buy the game again. Every player over 3500 sr has at least 1 alternate account

@troubled-cells no my poor still doesn't get it friend. I never once suggested that pc players pay to play that was you, prompting me to laugh.

I know but you still told pc players to buy a gold sub, Microsoft still get the money, your arguement of you having a paywal is met theoretically.

It's an external non variable for pc player numbers overall, pc gets 4 games a month as you do for incentive. Not that I personally support it on the basis of all online access, and don't see it as such In the sense you do.

Win Win though for your gold argument for those that think differently to yourself based of your complaints. That's my only point on the matter. End of topic really as far as I'm concerned.

May I remind you that yourself instigated this conversation again.

We already agreed to disagree yet here you are again. I actually took the action of just walking away from yourself .

You previously said you were going to block me, but clearly haven't.

It's like you can't help yourself.

Your intent is clearly disengenuous, especially with this is mind.

So until / if opt out comes all you can do is play the game as is in a state you dislike to a degree, but at least stop repeating the same tired argument of your gold sub to everyone you disagree with on here as it's already here in black and white for them to already read.

I learned from repeating myself too much, I've made my points about yours and believe they stand in my opinion.

Hopefully you can afford me the same courtesy I did to you and just walk away by agreeing to disagree as we already established multiple times months ago.

I'm not asking for acknowledgement either here just to be clear, but something tells me you will anyway.

• @needsmokes said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

There will be a live Q&A on this forum on Wednesday 4-5pm with several of the Arena Devs, answering questions.

I shall be at work, but those of you still waiting for opt out should try to ask the question to them.

(Just read about it on the SOT, FB page)

Is that UK time or US pt?

I have a few arena questions I'd like to ask and others about this topic.

• @troubled-cells

No, lol.
    I said for them to get an Xbox. (and a live sub so they could use the thing.) I didn't tell them to get a live sub to play PC in the Xbox only pool.
    Thats the part you can't seem to get your head around. Its not separation by input, its by platform. As it should be.

You've never once been right in this thread because you refuse to acknowledge that you are in fact demanding that they let PC players play on PC in the pool they are setting aside just for Xbox. Xbox only by definition, get it? No PC, regardless of input type.

I did say I'd block you, but since block doesnt really prevent you from reading me like it should and functions more like a mute I decided not to let you respond to me without retort. I've already explained this to you.

I didn't instigate this conversation, this is an open thread about the subject, when you say silly and wrong things like "Pc players should be allowed in the xbox only pool" I'm going to point out that its entitled and silly to think so. I'm not going to tell you to stop begging for them to not do what they said repeatedly and as recently as a week or so back, but I will tell ya that you're gonna be disappointed if you really think they aren't gonna go thru with doing the right thing.

@troubled-cells

No, lol.
    I said for them to get an Xbox. (and a live sub so they could use the thing.) I didn't tell them to get a live sub to play PC in the Xbox only pool.
    Thats the part you can't seem to get your head around. Its not separation by input, its by platform. As it should be.

You've never once been right in this thread because you refuse to acknowledge that you are in fact demanding that they let PC players play on PC in the pool they are setting aside just for Xbox. Xbox only by definition, get it? No PC, regardless of input type.

I did say I'd block you, but since block doesnt really prevent you from reading me like it should and functions more like a mute I decided not to let you respond to me without retort. I've already explained this to you.

I didn't instigate this conversation, this is an open thread about the subject, when you say silly and wrong things like "Pc players should be allowed in the xbox only pool" I'm going to point out that its entitled and silly to think so. I'm not going to tell you to stop begging for them to not do what they said repeatedly and as recently as a week or so back, but I will tell ya that you're gonna be disappointed if you really think they aren't gonna go thru with doing the right thing.

Technically I always used the term controller only pool. You are just misrepresenting the terms I always used, just setting the record straight, not asking for your opinion, as we've already been there multiple times.

I merely suggested it not coming, that's different to adamantly beleiving it's quite clear, you already agreed to disagree multiple times on the topic of opt out months ago.

But anyway thanks for proving my point, you clearly can't stop repeating yourself to myself and others.

Views
2935 out of 3601