PvP vs PvE

• -hombre said in PvP vs PvE:

@nwo-azcrack

There IS a difference.

Maybe mostly psychological, but for some (I'm like this too), there IS a difference in knowing you're fighting a player rather than just pure A.I.

Heck, I can guarantee you that there are plenty of people who love Dark Souls type games that are not PvP fans.

The challenge of the enemies isn't really the issue, rather the intent (imagined or not) behind them. Just because someone doesn't like fighting other players doesn't mean they're looking for a free ride.

I actually suggested something similar in another thread while brainstorming a very rough idea for another mode, ala Arena, that would task pirates with working toward a common goal.

The spontaneity and inventiveness of live players is substituted by increased lethality of the A.I. threats.

Maybe it's something with assigning blame. If the game beats you, there's really nobody to get mad at. Whereas if another person beats you, there's a direct target for you to place blame on.

Like if a tree branch falls on your car; that stinks, but it's just something that happened. But if someone steals your car, then there's a physical being to get angry at.

I don't know about the psychology behind it, but I can tell you from personal experience, some gamers find it very different fighting A.I. enemies and fighting other players. And it's not about skill or challenge.

also to your points AI is technically always a griefer as it’s just out to get you, it never takes ur loot and initiate the fight! But at least u know it isn’t they to cause harm to your game, it is the game!

Compared to some people who would actively do it to cause harm to other people’s experiences

• @itskingbertie
    Bertie the skellys dont follow the same rules as us. They can swing when being hit for one. Need i go on about the kraken and the meg???
    What grinds my gears is when u say this:
    "Pvp guys are scared to lose easy kills haha
    " without us pve guys, you would have to go dig your own loot hahah"

Both of these statements are absoulutesly false. I am living proof. I always have more loot than the guy i attack. (Unless i just finished stockin and didnt get time to get bait loot). And i always want a challenge.
    I dont enjoy killin players who are as easy as one skelly. And i usually leave their petty loot on the beach in case they return to finish their quest. I like that i never know who i will find out there. And if there was a pvp mode based on skill i would play it. I dont want one tho. I dont wanna break up the game even more. But u are beyond wrong that us pvpers just want an easy fight. Its why i attack full galleons in my dup sloop. Its also why i will never alliance. And the only feature of alliance i like is more ppl versus me.

• @nwo-azcrack said in PvP vs PvE:
    And if there was a pvp mode based on skill i would play it. I dont want one tho. I dont wanna break up the game even more. But u are beyond wrong that us pvpers just want an easy fight.

What was the words you used - “ stop sprouting this nonsense”

Lol like me saying I would play pointless, progression-less PVE mode , would I want to no! - but actually me is saying - i wouldn’t play that game mode cus I didn’t want it to start loool, I see no difference in your post.

• @itskingbertie

Another reason I personally avoid online games actually applies more towards co-op than PvE. I know I'm not terribly skilled when it comes to games (I'd put myself at "above average") and am not interested in putting in the time to get better.

Therefore I feel like little more than a hindrance when teaming up with random people in games. And messing with someone else's good time by inserting myself into their activity is a bit of a phobia with me. As a result, I prefer to just play alone.

I've gotten a lot better as I've got older. I played through the (very few) story missions in RDR 2's online mode and have been trying out Dauntless, both of which I was pretty comfortable teaming up with other players.

But that worry is still there, as is my inate aversion to PvP.

• @itskingbertie 1st question: Not no-progress, if they add it add a 'new pirate' - that can progress there, but cannot carry that over to Arena and PvPvE.

2nd: PvP is high risk, high reward with guarenteed battle. Sinking ships with everyone selling often and all that isn't the most effective way to gain gold, rep or commendations. Sure they sometimes get a jack-pot but often than not people are near empty or good enough to avoid them for long making it take tons of time. If you think it is that easy, go try it out and see how profitable it is.

3: Players that enjoy both sides is the demographic they point out they want to reach, a Shared World PvPvE game.

4: If you play well you can avoid over 90% of encounters with other pirates and have hours of uninterrupted play. I don't see how that doesn't hit the mark for PvE people that are playing a PvP enabled game.

5: I didn't say progression less, I said seperate. Earn things in PvE, but don't mix at the least... it still has impact, not my favorite solution to the catering to PvE needs as private and unique PvE modes have my preferance as I think that would add more for me as well, but the effects would be softer if it is seperate.

• @itskingbertie
    Mate i wanna fight players as good as me. Its what im out hunting. But i dont want that mode. I dont want a pve mode. I dont even want an arena mode. I dont want us all broken up into groups. If it was there then it was beyond my control and i love pvp so why not. Im admitting that.
    What ur failing to realise is i dont want easy fights. I sink players as a reminder that the seas are not safe. Its the role i play in this game.
    But no i dont want any new modes. Im not always violent. I spent 2 days helping players beat hungering deep. I have let a new player i just killed fix his boat and sail away with his loot. I have had players beg me to leave their chicken crates but take their loot and i left both alone. Im out lookin for those good crews for good ship fights. Thats the problem i have with what u say.
    You group all us pvpers in the same boat. And u are missing what makes this game special. That you will never know what kind of players you will find out there

• hombre said in PvP vs PvE:

@itskingbertie

Another reason I personally avoid online games actually applies more towards co-op than PvE. I know I'm not terribly skilled when it comes to games (I'd put myself at "above average") and am not interested in putting in the time to get better.

Therefore I feel like little more than a hindrance when teaming up with random people in games. And messing with someone else's good time by inserting myself into their activity is a bit of a phobia with me. As a result, I prefer to just play alone.

I've gotten a lot better as I've got older. I played through the (very few) story missions in RDR 2's online mode and have been trying out Dauntless, both of which I was pretty comfortable teaming up with other players.

But that worry is still there, as is my inate aversion to PvP.

Sorry to sound rude and reinforce your fear, but that’s the exact reason I don’t random crew or okay with randoms off the LFG

I can’t stand having an incompetent person with me and in situations where my whole game time can godown the drain well then yeah... solo sloop for me always

Also WHY IS YOUR NAME A RESTRICTED WORD

@itskingbertie
    Mate i wanna fight players as good as me. Its what im out hunting. But i dont want that mode. I dont want a pve mode. I dont even want an arena mode. I dont want us all broken up into groups. If it was there then it was beyond my control and i love pvp so why not. Im admitting that.
    What ur failing to realise is i dont want easy fights. I sink players as a reminder that the seas are not safe. Its the role i play in this game.
    But no i dont want any new modes. Im not always violent. I spent 2 days helping players beat hungering deep. I have let a new player i just killed fix his boat and sail away with his loot. I have had players beg me to leave their chicken crates but take their loot and i left both alone. Im out lookin for those good crews for good ship fights. Thats the problem i have with what u say.
    You group all us pvpers in the same boat. And u are missing what makes this game special. That you will never know what kind of players you will find out there

Why are you trying to convince yourself so much!

• @itskingbertie
    Nevermind mate. I dont know if your just young or full of yourself. I tried to make u understand. But its like talkin to a screaming toddler.

@itskingbertie
    Nevermind mate. I dont know if your just young or full of yourself. I tried to make u understand. But its like talkin to a screaming toddler.

HAHAHAHAHA I LOST SOOO IMA CALL U NAMES

I thought u were a season pro bro ;) don’t mind loosing treasure but can’t loss a debate on the forums. see your just tryna convince yourself of who you are when u go round picking fights :), I don’t need to be convinced about it either, I’ve made up my mind! And tbh if u don’t support a more PRO VS Pro environment then tbh you doo need noobs to feed off :) have a good night, I take it your older generation for guessing I’m younger so didn’t mean to offend! Respect your elders and that but don’t worry about taking advantage of them on the seas thou HAHAHAHAH

• @itskingbertie
    There is no debate goin on here. And there is nothing for me to lose. I tried to tell u why i had beef with what you say but you are those type of ppl that only care what they themselves think. You dont hear what anyone else has to say. [mod edited]. You see how i upvoted hombres post?
    He explained why pve players prefer that type of play better than u ever could.
    I would appreciate if you dont reply to me anymore. [mod edited]

• @itskingbertie

Eh, it's less about telling myself that people don't find me a hindrance, and more about teaching myself not to care whether they do or not.

If it was about something really important, I'd probably be just as nervous. But for video games? Nah, I can get over my insecurities for those.

@itskingbertie
    There is no debate goin on here. And there is nothing for me to lose. I tried to tell u why i had beef with what you say but you are those type of ppl that only care what they themselves think. You dont hear what anyone else has to say. Thats why i said you are like a toddler. You see how i upvoted hombres post?
    He explained why pve players prefer that type of play better than u ever could.
    I would appreciate if you dont reply to me anymore. [mod edited].

I’m not grown up enough to have an argument lool, u liked his post cus it makes PVE players seem sour they lost that’s all and that suits ur agenda, I agree most PVE are sour but I can admit when something is right or wrong. Looool better then u ever could I don’t care if u don’t like hearing the arguments you don’t like or not they are still gunna stated [mod edited] /)

• @itskingbertie
    I liked his post because it made sense.
    This is your argument:
    All pvpers are griefers
    I wanna play without being bothered.
    I dont care what anyone else has to say because im close minded.

Did i miss anything? Im done bertie. I always try and see things from the other perspective. You dont debate or think rationally. End of story.

• hombre said in PvP vs PvE:

@itskingbertie

Eh, it's less about telling myself that people don't find me a hindrance, and more about teaching myself not to care whether they do or not.

If it was about something really important, I'd probably be just as nervous. But for video games? Nah, I can get over my insecurities for those.

Good! And tbh you know what u like in terms of solo or crew so you enjoy playing solo or crew! And if u feel like a hinderance go on arena and boom u will feel like a PL in no time :)

They are days I feel like being proper nice and helping people and they are days I just want to be left alone on my own boat and no player (on my crew let alone another ) be there to get in the way

@itskingbertie
    I liked his post because it made sense.
    This is your argument:
    All pvpers are griefers
    I wanna play without being bothered.
    I dont care what anyone else has to say because im close minded.

Did i miss anything? Im done bertie. I always try and see things from the other perspective. You dont debate or think rationally. End of story.

Okay for someone who sees things from the other perspective you missed the fact that:

This game is meant to be random encounters whose random when everyone is hostile

The game is unbalanced and very buggy with more bugs being made when trying to fix others, this creates a harsh environment for players with certain scenarios - ie the original Xbox one compared to a super pc, bad internet and servers compared to people seeing there ping! Different input devices used to play the game these all hinder a lot of players experiences and have pushed people to want to play ina friendlier server.

Some have fallen in love with the game and the immersion it can offer before an actual griefers comes along and takes advantage of the game designs.

They is a lot of player interest in playing PURE PVE and satisfying this could poteinally bring more players, more money for more content for everyone.

Some new, younger and casual players want a sea of friends to get ready and learn to game before being chucked(overboard) into the deep end!

Trash talking and other forms of nasty ness on the servers usually comes from PVP and with that eliminated then so would the huge division in the community as no one is to blame for ruining anyone’s game.

Thanks for being the person to suggest no reasons/ input into the debate but trying to make it out like I didn’t listen to any of your points but u only gathered “I don’t want to be bothered” as one of my arguments :) I believe your arguments were it will dilute the PVPVE server to become to hostile and PVP based - u said you want to have the best fights possible but don’t want a PRO adventure mode where u wouldn’t have noobs and feeders so you must not have a PVE MODE correct?

• Most of the "PVP" in adventure mode comes down to someone attacking another when they have their hands full in PVE. When I say most its around 90%+ of the time. Its akin to attacking someone on the toilet with stomach cramps. Cowardly & out-rite distasteful.

Very rarely have Ive encounter real mutual PVP in open sea let alone on land. Most of the people not wanting pure PVE servers. Most likely mean is they want to keep their target rich ganking environment populated. So they can keep killing easy targets instead of playing Arena.

• PvP rules the roost. PvE takes a back seat %80 of the time.

"SEA OF THIEVES"

Litterly titled what the entire game is about!

Taking loot.

Don't want to lose you shineys then I suggest you learn to PvE faster and turn in.

• @f0ng0re said in PvP vs PvE:

Most likely mean is they want to keep their target rich ganking environment populated. So they can keep killing easy targets instead of playing Arena.

Ah this old excuse again. As valid as saying that those who wants PVE-only servers are totally incapable of besting anything outside of skeleton AI. Neither statements are true. Are they?

• @itskingbertie @nwo-azcrack As per the Forum Rules we all must remain respectful towards all other community members when posting on the forums. I have moderated your post as it was not in accordance with these rules, failure to remain respectful of all community members will result in a temporary ban from the forums.

Please read and abide by the forum rules going forward.

Thanks!

• @bloodybil
    It's as valid as having an excuse to those who want PVP-only servers are totally incapable of besting other PVP players head on. Stating something is not true just because it does not align with ones PVP-only agenda does not make it so.

• @f0ng0re said in PvP vs PvE:

@bloodybil
    It's as valid as having an excuse to those who want PVP-only servers are totally incapable of besting other PVP players head on. Stating something is not true just because it does not align with ones PVP-only agenda does not make it so.

Yeah... that's pretty much what I've written? I said neither of those statements were true. As in, it's easy to make simple blanket statements over sides we don't align with, and that doesn't make it true. You imply that's what I did, yet you just did it twice, where I was saying the opposite.

Also, where did I promote a PVP-only agenda? I promote the melding of both playstyles.

Views
39 out of 58