Do You Use The New Mechanics? A Poll.

• I'm a little curious as to how players are making use of a couple new mechanics, namely:

• Fruit - do you pay attention to what you gather, or what you carry, and ultimate choose to eat one or the other under a given condition? Or do you just grab and eat whatever?
    • Cooked Food - do you cook fish/meat and consume it have health generation? Or is it not worth it, so do you just cook it and sell it?
    Views
  • @lethality1

As long as I can remember I used to take bananas OUT of barrels. Currently I'm just stuffing bananas INTO barrels, they're rubbish now! Pineapples are my favourite!
    As for cooked meat it is handy to have a couple of bites of snake or pork for the regen but the rest gets sold, levelling up is soooooo slow. Ugh

• I grab every food from a barrel as fast as I can press the button. If I am trying to save time, I ignore the bananas and also the bait.

Can't be bothered cooking food when playing solo, unless I'm near an outpost. Otherwise it's just a distraction.

• @lethality1 I do pay attention to the fruit I am gathering. I rarely cook food. And if anyone on the ship is fishing at an innappropreate time I blow them up with gunpowder.

• I definitely go for the higher quality fruit first. As I'm sifting through the barrels, I'll regularly "trade up" and leave bananas behind. If I go back for another pass, I'll take it all.

I usually cook what I find, but sell most of it. I might keep a few low-value items for food. Sometimes I'll fill my regen bar if I expect trouble.

• Fruit for sure, If I have a full inventory of coconuts, and I find some mangos and a pineapple, I will switch out some coconuts for the pineapple and mangos.

• I like the mangoes and pineapples best, but that's just for the looks.

I cook good fish to sell, but keep the splashtails to eat raw. I can't stop giggling over the half-eaten hunk of slimy fish flesh.

• @lethality1 I do. It depends on the mission. while i am searching just for a chests on a island i take bananas and coconuts. In the harder circumstances i would take better fruits.
    About meat - cook and sell it for commendations

• I take what i can and i prefer Ananas 🍍 :-)

Cooked stuff only for HC or by accident.
    Maybe for serious PvP, but until not needed we until won all fights without HP regen.

• Fruit, yes I pay close attention. I'll try to avoid banana's and have at the verry least 5 coconuts when I return to the ship to drop my food.
    • Cooked food.... I'm Dutch, do you think I'll eat something I can sell? Sell that meat!
  • @Lethality1

• Fruit - I save pineapples for PvP encounters and out of combat I use bananas first. Apart from that if there is no other player (ship) in sight I usually leave the ship with empty inventory and use what ever I can find along the way.
    • Cooked Food - I turn all of it in for every bit of reputation … Would eat it if I run out of fruit, but that's not very likely to happen.
  • @lethality1 hi there,

About fruits I'm very careful of what I carry... Bananas are good as long as it stays Insider the barrels, about the others I always change what I'm carrying if I find better fruits inside other barrels

About cooked meat as long as it still gives me reputation it will be sold. There are few occasions that I eat those. Maybe when I'll reach 50 with the HC. Ahah

• Fruit I don't like the new fruits. Or better said; I don't like the different healing properties attached to them. The Barrel Inventory System is an annoying break in the emersion of this game. The less time I have to spend in it the better. Sorting out my fruit doesn't add to my enjoyment of this game. In good design sometimes Less is More.

Fishing It is basically boring but better than doing nothing on "long hauls". If I catch a fish or find meat I will try to cook it, if time allows. But mostly so I don't eat it raw by accident.

The fishing/cooking mechanic is okay. The "levelled" fruit not so much.

• 3 Bananas, 2 Coconuts and i'm good to go.

Cooked food? Mmmm never have the time to do it really.

• I gather as much as I can, but if I'm pressed for time I always trade up to get the higher quality fruit. Or if I'm just planning on making only one trip to an island I'll make sure I take or switch out for the items that heal more.

I don't hunt anything anymore now that I've unlocked all my tattoos, but if I dive for a shipwreck I'll get as much meat as I can from the barrels. I cook anything raw I pick up on my way to the next place.

1. definitely am particular now, loading up on other fruit first when stocking and save bananas for last. Use them in emergencies when no other fruit available or I only need a little health boost to get back up to full. Also stuff fruit crates with them whenever possible.

2. Always cook fish/meat, well almost always as long as I have time to do so. Mainly sell it to get the Hunter's Call commendations but will use it strategically when the situation calls for it (bye bye Ruby Splashtails!).

• @lethality1 said in Do You Use The New Mechanics? A Poll.:

I'm a little curious as to how players are making use of a couple new mechanics, namely:

• Fruit - do you pay attention to what you gather, or what you carry, and ultimate choose to eat one or the other under a given condition? Or do you just grab and eat whatever?
    • Cooked Food - do you cook fish/meat and consume it have health generation? Or is it not worth it, so do you just cook it and sell it?

fruit I just chuck it into my mouth and for cooking meat and fish I sometimes eat it and sometimes not

• I never cook.

I no longer pick up bananas.

• I try to grab anything but bananas. Coconuts are my second least favorite but I grab them when nothing else is in the barrels.

I usually just eat the cooked meat. I do not do much fishing, but I’ll kill a few snakes, chickens, and pigs to fill up with. A couple of my friends are horrified that I’d rather eat the stuff than sell it. It makes a big difference during combat.

• Bananas are useless now. I eat all the other fruit

Cooking is a distraction I cook only for skeleton voyages

Fishing is not my thing is rather get the meat from animals

• @Lethality1

Fruit:

Yep. When I'm gathering, I'll start by gathering everything and then, as I am stocking up, I will get more selective. Swapping out fruit for ones that provide more health.

Cood Food:

Depends on the session and situation. In general, I'll cook land animals for health regen and save fish for selling.

• No, who wants content in this game? I just blindy run around and try not to have any fun.

Obviously nobody cared for these additions, the game should just be one big ocean where we stand around on motionless ships, drink grog and compare morals.

Jk, but what is the point of this post? Questioning if added content should be added? Yes, is the answer, 1000x more of it with actual depth of purpose and interactability, these items are barely a start and questioning them at this stage is just disingenuous when we all know the game needs more.

A bunch of people being like “na never use em” means literally nothing when it comes to the truth of the game and rares vision. Except those people lack imagination and dont want to have fun with what the game offers. And i know most replies are positive but this shouldnt be something we need to highlight for rare to realize we actually use them.

A post called “how can fishing cooking and fruit harvesting be improved?” Is what is needed.

Fruits from trees and plants, with regional rng rates, etc.

Its really not to hard...

• I only cook meat so I can sell it; I don't bother with the rest and sell them in the state I find them in.

I take all fruit but if I come across better ones I exchange them.

• Yes and yes! I like coconuts, there are a good average fruit. And I always cook my food. The regen is great, plus cooking is just so cozy.

• Take all, eat all and sell all. Nothing gets left behind for anyone else to get.

• Youre all spoilt for choice now! We all used to be happy with a banana.... honestly, pirates today...dont know theyre born.... was just grog and nanas when i was a lad.... nowadays its all ' coconuts and foie gras, youll be asking geoffrey for the wine list next!!!!

• Fruit heals for different amounts. Bananas are trash and are a last resort. I also steal them to make sure other ships don't have the ability to heal.

I never fish or cook. I make my friend stay down below working on that or I also steal others fish.

Funny cause I've got to level 26 already with the Huters Call and not even fishing. Found all the fish types almost as well.

• @mouse-n-keybord Meg and Kraken meat can be a real fight changer

• @viperishemu2992 said in Do You Use The New Mechanics? A Poll.:

Fruit I don't like the new fruits. Or better said; I don't like the different healing properties attached to them. The Barrel Inventory System is an annoying break in the emersion of this game. The less time I have to spend in it the better. Sorting out my fruit doesn't add to my enjoyment of this game. In good design sometimes Less is More.

Fishing It is basically boring but better than doing nothing on "long hauls". If I catch a fish or find meat I will try to cook it, if time allows. But mostly so I don't eat it raw by accident.

The fishing/cooking mechanic is okay. The "levelled" fruit not so much.

Exactly! They intro'd the lame Barrels 2.0 so we could have access to Curse Cannon balls and at the same time NERFED almost all of the commendations. These 3 changes made 99.9% of the friends I had who played SOT to leave the game permanently. The cursed cannon balls then became rarer and rarer to the point where I was never much shot at by them and I personally never used them due to I felt like they made the game unbalanced. Then we had to wait 7 months for them to implement these silly new food items. I wonder if Rare could go back in time if they would have not made those changes. Maybe spent those next 7 months coming up with a Barrel 3.0 system to where we could still use the old system of X to take from the barrels and Y to remove from our inventory and then maybe make it so we could hold one of those buttons to get us into the Barrel system.

It seems tho that most steps Rare takes are like 1 step forward and 3 steps back. Good example is Arena, it's suppose to be a "competitive" focus match but it's focus is on fetching chests and turning them in (which anyone who has played a bunch of adventure mode has done a billionth time) so it favors the cowards who avoid combat which you can't blame them because they want 1st place. I personally have stopped playing Arena because of this plus most matches end up with only 2-3 ships left at the end and are filled with AFK pc players or cheaters. I switched to Fallout 76's Nuclear Winter which is a Battle Royale mode that is sooooo awesome!! However, I did that Ultimate Game Pass deal and extended out my Game Pass for 3 years for $1 so Rare has a lot of time in my book to keep working on this so I shall log into SOT when the next update comes out to see if anything that I'm looking for has changed.

• @contentzilla Barrels 2.0 was when most of my friends stopped playing too. Not because Barrels 2.0 is so annoying (which it is) but because it proved to them what they had already suspected for some time.

Rare just doesn't understand truly great game design.

I gave Rare the benefit of the doubt and stuck around because I was determined to get to PL10. But now.....? I am starting to suspect that my friends were right. This game could have been "magic" and now it's kind of "mundane". It's not bad at all, some parts of it are good. But too little is great.

• I use them but not fully. If I am out of battle and just want to heal up I will eat bananas. But if I predict a tough fight I won't take any with me and will only eat the best fruits for that big instant heal.
    I guess cooked food is the best for that task in pvp but I don't have the time for nonsense like fishing in arena and neither should my crewmates.
    Also not sure if it was a glitch or not I once ate food at the same time I started drowning and instead of the healing over time stopping from the damage it was draining that circle extending my under water time a ton.

• @lethality1 as bannanas are bad luck on boats, my crew n I always purge all of the yellow fruit from our boat before setting sail. We also have a dedicated cook on board at all times. Fishing and hunting while everyone else runs around.

• I constantly make sure that I'm carrying the best fruit off an island first - I also religiously cooked tonnes of snake, pork and chicken when I was running Athena's as it would help no end when we got to the Order of Souls bounties. Great additions all round.

• I practically grab any fruit from barrels, bananas being the only exception. If I only have non-banana fruits I'm glad to open a barrel and grab a stack of whatever.

As for meat, it was pretty interesting at first but the amount of time it takes to cook for a full crew is too great. I only really catch and cook shark now, because I want Derrick's tattoo.

Views
27 out of 41